C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

flexible flap

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default flexible flap

I had my 2016 Z raised up the other day to clean the wheels and noticed a rubber flap / deflector forward of the engine compartment that was torn on the passenger side. The flap / air deflector extends down about 2 1/2 inches, is centered with what looks like 5 or 6 bolts holding it on. The rip extends about six inches in from the end.

Does anyone know what it is / what it's called?
What purpose it serves?
How much it costs to replace?
Should I replace?
Old 07-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

It is an air dam and it is part of the Aero package of the car. The air dams are subject to wear and tear due to being so low on the car and the tendency of drivers to run them over parking curbs. They are easily replaceable and fairly low cost. Replace it.

Some people say it doesn't do anything but given how cost driven auto manufacturers are why would GM pay money to install something on a car if it wasn't needed to perform some desired function? I think GM knows more about car design than the vast majority of street corner kibitzers. I bet if you could dig through the design data for the C7 and C7Z06 that GM has reams of test data showing the exact affects of having or not having the air dams.

Bill

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-15-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:04 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,603 Posts

It's called an air dam, Part #22799212. I've read that it helps with cooling & downward force. I've also read that the center portion is not suppose to be installed on C7s w/dry sump (Z06, Z51, & GS), and it can cause oversteering at high speeds. See below link regarding PDI information:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-air-dam.html

Last edited by sTz; 07-15-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:41 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

It definitely still comes on C7Zs w/dry sump and Stage 1, but should be removed when installing Stage 2 or 3, according to what I've read.

I've also heard, like sTz says, that it doesn't belong on dry sump cars, but then why does the factory ship it installed on Stage 1 Zs? That'd mean dealer prep for EVERY Z would require removing it, since they all have dry sump.

So I'm confused as to what the right answer on Stage 1 Zs is...
Old 07-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,757 Likes on 4,185 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

The first mod I did to my car was remove those things......
Old 07-15-2017, 02:14 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
It definitely still comes on C7Zs w/dry sump and Stage 1, but should be removed when installing Stage 2 or 3, according to what I've read.

I've also heard, like sTz says, that it doesn't belong on dry sump cars, but then why does the factory ship it installed on Stage 1 Zs? That'd mean dealer prep for EVERY Z would require removing it, since they all have dry sump.

So I'm confused as to what the right answer on Stage 1 Zs is...
Yeah, it was installed on my Stage 1. I just left it on when I installed that Stage 3.

There really has been no definitive explanation, aside from Tadge, who informed that at 150 mph the extra downforce provided by the center section caused a tendency to oversteer.

I also have something similar installed on my Chevy truck, an its purpose was described as improving fuel economy.

To the OP, you can repair it, replace it, or remove it... and I doubt that you'll ever notice any difference in aerodynamics, downward force, cooling, or fuel economy. If it were me, I would probably replace it... just because it was something on the car that was damaged, and really no other reason, however, many removed them... just because they drag on their driveway, or they appear unsightly...

Last edited by sTz; 07-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:41 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine ripped off and I never replace it. Not sure its intended purpose and I never read anything to convince me to put it back on.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:49 PM
diverman
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
It's called an air dam, Part #22799212. I've read that it helps with cooling & downward force. I've also read that the center portion is not suppose to be installed on C7s w/dry sump (Z06, Z51, & GS), and it can cause oversteering at high speeds. See below link regarding PDI information:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...6-air-dam.html
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 AM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought a new one from amazon, around $38
Genuine GM I think.
I put some gorilla tape on the back for additional support.
Not sure if that's a good idea or not.
If it tears again I'll try something else.

Get notified of new replies

To flexible flap

Quick Reply: flexible flap