C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 Z06 dyno BMS filter and Mamo ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:57 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasC7Z06
I responded in post # 36.
Oops, missed the previous post. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:34 PM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
X pipe could certainly void your warranty if the dealer notices it. I'm skeptical the gains are worthwhile also. Other than the drop in filter the next step would be tuning, then a pulley. Ported TB has minimal benefit but it's also inexpensive so won't hurt.

If it's a 2015-2016 adding in the 2017 lid has proven to be worth 7-10whp in my testing. I'd do that before the X pipe, personally.
Terry,
I'm interested in knowing why you would say that about the X-Pipe. I was directly involved with GM fixing the calibration on the 2017 Z06's. With so many issues with the 2017 and my history (buyback) with my 2016 Z with Long Tube headers and a tune, i decided to leave the stock tune and play with some bolt ons. I even spoke to the Corvette Engineering group on Saturday at Carlisle and they said i wont have any issues with exhaust mods downstream. As long as you leave the stock tune there should be NO warranty issues. Like i said, last year when i had my 2016 Z06, i had electronic issues at the track. 80 days at the dealer and they found a bad connection in the SDM module. Even with Headers and a tune it was covered AND GM bought the car back! I dropped in your filter and added the Corsa Extreme exhaust. Corsa has been getting some heat from the EPA so they were unable to INSTALL the X-Pipe at Carlisle. They are shipping it direct to me and will install this week. Pocono track day on Labor Day. With the "Re-calibration done on the 2017 Z06 i feel confident the cars new adjustments can handle a cai (or your filter) and the Mamo Ported TB without fear of throwing any codes. We will see shortly. Love the car right now with your filter and the Corsa with black tips!!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

Typically parts that are not CARB approved and/or not EPA approved will result in warranty denial if the dealership determines they were likely to contribute to whatever issue you may be having. I'm not saying you will get denied just be aware of the risks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Terry@BMS:
goshendad (08-28-2017), Kevin Marshall (08-28-2017), Scoobydoobydoo (08-28-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:47 AM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Kevin,

I have a 2015 M7 with those mods but a Katech PTB. There is no more drone than stock which is little to none. Stealth mode works perfectly. It's a little louder at idle and much louder as the RPMs rise. The only other mod I'm considering is exactly what you're asking about. . My only hesitation is I drive the car in extreme cold and don't want to throw slow warmup codes. The car appear stock and goes, drives, and sounds anything but. Enjoy!

Best,
Gene
Gene,

What made you decide to go back to the Katech PTB over Tony's?
I ask because I have been on Tony's pre-order list for the last 5 1/2 weeks. I was thinking about the Katech one, but decided to go with Tony based on the many positive reviews (including yours).

Initially I was just going to do the PTB. But now I want to add the Boral x-pipe, and possibly the BMS filter.

Did you find the Katech PTB to be better for the combination of all three mods vs just Toni's PTB as a stand alone mod?

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited by pmzangag; 09-03-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:23 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by pmzangag
Gene,

What made you decide to go back to the Katech PTB over Tony's?
I ask because I have been on Tony's pre-order list for the last 5 1/2 weeks. I was thinking about the Katech one, but decided to go with Tony based on the many positive reviews (including yours).

Initially I was just going to do the PTB. But now I want to add the Boral x-pipe, and possibly the BMS filter.

Did you find the Katech PTB to be better for the combination of all three mods vs just Toni's PTB as a stand alone mod?

Thanks,
Phil
I had the Katech for well over a year and it worked great. I read about Tony's and it seemed like it should be even better. Unfortunately my car didn't run very well with it installed. Tony has said in the past that it works great 95% of the time. I was part of that 5%. Tony was phenomenal to deal with and the TB seemed in excellent condition. I returned it for a full refund and put back on my Katech and continue with no issues. I can't say as far as your second question goes because I believe several other people have those three mods with Tony's PTB and no issues. Grab the X and BMS for sure. The PTB is easy to change out but I'm sure Tony's will be no issue.

Good luck!

Best,
Gene
Old 09-05-2017, 06:34 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

I had the Katech for well over a year and it worked great. I read about Tony's and it seemed like it should be even better. Unfortunately my car didn't run very well with it installed. Tony has said in the past that it works great 95% of the time. I was part of that 5%. Tony was phenomenal to deal with and the TB seemed in excellent condition. I returned it for a full refund and put back on my Katech and continue with no issues. I can't say as far as your second question goes because I believe several other people have those three mods with Tony's PTB and no issues. Grab the X and BMS for sure. The PTB is easy to change out but I'm sure Tony's will be no issue.

Good luck!

Best,
Gene
Thanks for the honest response Gene, and not the "well its the best one cause its the one I have" nonsense.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 AM
K1600GT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
Terry,
I'm interested in knowing why you would say that about the X-Pipe. I was directly involved with GM fixing the calibration on the 2017 Z06's. With so many issues with the 2017 and my history (buyback) with my 2016 Z with Long Tube headers and a tune, i decided to leave the stock tune and play with some bolt ons. I even spoke to the Corvette Engineering group on Saturday at Carlisle and they said i wont have any issues with exhaust mods downstream. As long as you leave the stock tune there should be NO warranty issues. Like i said, last year when i had my 2016 Z06, i had electronic issues at the track. 80 days at the dealer and they found a bad connection in the SDM module. Even with Headers and a tune it was covered AND GM bought the car back! I dropped in your filter and added the Corsa Extreme exhaust. Corsa has been getting some heat from the EPA so they were unable to INSTALL the X-Pipe at Carlisle. They are shipping it direct to me and will install this week. Pocono track day on Labor Day. With the "Re-calibration done on the 2017 Z06 i feel confident the cars new adjustments can handle a cai (or your filter) and the Mamo Ported TB without fear of throwing any codes. We will see shortly. Love the car right now with your filter and the Corsa with black tips!!
I have Mano PTB and BMS drop in on my 2017 A8 and have thrown a P109 code twice and the engine light stays on for a day and I get this sent to me on my phone.

Diagnostic Alert: Service the engine and transmission system in your 2017 Corvette within 1 day. Txt STOP to cancel.

This is after WOT to 150 or so. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:59 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by K1600GT
I have Mano PTB and BMS drop in on my 2017 A8 and have thrown a P109 code twice and the engine light stays on for a day and I get this sent to me on my phone.

Diagnostic Alert: Service the engine and transmission system in your 2017 Corvette within 1 day. Txt STOP to cancel.

This is after WOT to 150 or so. What are your thoughts on this?
Have you had the GM recalibration done yet that goshendad mentioned? He's had his at the track since having that done, and says it worked.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-05-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 AM
K1600GT
Pro

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Have you had the recalibration done yet that goshendad mentioned? He's had his at the track since having that done, and says it worked.
The way I read his post is that there was a problem with 2017 calibration and he helped them fix it. Was this before or after they started building them? My car is number 2204 or so. Do I just tak it to the dealer and tell them to re flash it? Is there more info on this issue? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

The way I read his post is that there was a problem with 2017 calibration and he helped them fix it. Was this before or after they started building them? My car is number 2204 or so. Do I just tak it to the dealer and tell them to re flash it? Is there more info on this issue? Thanks.
From what I've read, that's all it takes, although it might be good to have a printout of the TSP with you in case the dealership doesn't know about it, and it also might be best if you don't clear the code before going in. Some have said that if the car hasn't thrown the code, GM won't apply the fix.

The fix came into being after they started building the cars, and has only been around for two weeks or so.

Might also be best to put the car back to stock before going in, so they won't claim that the mods caused the code. Completely stock cars have thrown the code too, but who knows what the dealership might use as an excuse.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

What is the TSB number for the reflash?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM
K1600GT
Pro

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
From what I've read, that's all it takes, although it might be good to have a printout of the TSP with you in case the dealership doesn't know about it, and it also might be best if you don't clear the code before going in. Some have said that if the car hasn't thrown the code, GM won't apply the fix.

The fix came into being after they started building the cars, and has only been around for two weeks or so.

Might also be best to put the car back to stock before going in, so they won't claim that the mods caused the code. Completely stock cars have thrown the code too, but who knows what the dealership might use as an excuse.
Thanks. The code shows up when I hook up hp tuners so they should be able to see it.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 AM
goshendad
Racer

Thanks. The code shows up when I hook up hp tuners so they should be able to see it.
Here is the service bulletin.Name:  bulletin.JPG
Views: 2114
Size:  2.22 MB
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM
K1600GT
Pro

Thanks for that bulletin. My codes are 106 and 121. Dealer thought that was an odd combination but has the TSB and will be doing it later today. What is different in the new tune?
Also, I said I had code 109, that was incorrect memory on me. I have 106 and 121.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 AM
goshendad
Racer

Thanks for that bulletin. My codes are 106 and 121. Dealer thought that was an odd combination but has the TSB and will be doing it later today. What is different in the new tune?
Also, I said I had code 109, that was incorrect memory on me. I have 106 and 121.
I believe the cel, reduced Engine power issue in the 2017's threw the P0106 code. I am not familiar with any other code sorry.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:59 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Good luck!

Best,
Gene
Gene
Thanks for the reply

One more question.
What I'm looking for is smoother, more linear throttle response, especially with part throttle. I don't really care about more power. Will the addition of the BMS filter to the PTB Mod help achieve that?

Phil
Old 09-05-2017, 05:01 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by pmzangag
Gene
Thanks for the reply

One more question.
What I'm looking for is smoother, more linear throttle response, especially with part throttle. I don't really care about more power. Will the addition of the BMS filter to the PTB Mod help achieve that?

Phil
Phil,

In my experience the BMS only added power, and a good amount. The Ported TB, for me, solved exactly the issues you state in addition to the small amount of throttle lag off idle.

Best,
Gene

FWIW absolutely positively do not do the Vitesse throttle controller. I only mention this in case you come across it in your search and research as I did.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Z06 dyno BMS filter and Mamo ported TB

Old 09-05-2017, 07:19 PM
K1600GT
Pro

Originally Posted by goshendad
Here is the service bulletin.Attachment 48203375
Anyone know exactly what this update is doing? I just had it done but found it funny the dealer kept asking me if there was any loss of power. I said no, I just drove it home without getting on it. Is there a different TSB if you loose power?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone know exactly what this update is doing? I just had it done but found it funny the dealer kept asking me if there was any loss of power. I said no, I just drove it home without getting on it. Is there a different TSB if you loose power?
Maybe they were referring to the "reduced engine power" related to the P0106 code.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:56 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Phil,

In my experience the BMS only added power, and a good amount. The Ported TB, for me, solved exactly the issues you state in addition to the small amount of throttle lag off idle.

Best,
Gene

FWIW absolutely positively do not do the Vitesse throttle controller. I only mention this in case you come across it in your search and research as I did.
Thanks Gene

Quick Reply: 2017 Z06 dyno BMS filter and Mamo ported TB