C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z07 worn brake message TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by tran03
2016 C7 Z06 with Z07 package here with ~10,500 miles. The exact same thing happened to me. I was leaving work, heard this weird metallic rattle I thought I had ran over something so I pulled over. Checked underneath for a bag or tree limb or something but nothing. I proceeded to drive slowly in a parking lot and never heard the sound again. On the way home 10 miles later my Brake Worn light pops up. I took a quick look but all the outside pads look fine. But then again, reading this thread folks are saying the sensor is on the inner pads, not outer.

I just find it very coincidental that your post is almost exactly what I'm experiencing, except I'm a M7 not an A8. Planning on taking the car (under warranty) to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.

Edit: I would like to add none of this ever happened under I started fartin' around and put the car in Eco mode instead of my normal Sport mode. From others in this thread, that plays around with the V4 mod. Again, so coincidental this started happening when I switched to Eco mode as of late.
I run my M7 Z06 in Eco Mode all the time when on the street. Haven't had any similar issues.

Bill
Old 08-20-2018, 10:32 PM
tran03
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I run my M7 Z06 in Eco Mode all the time when on the street. Haven't had any similar issues.

Bill
As you should be able to, Bill. As we should all be able to drive a C7Z with Z07 package with street driving without worrying about brake pad wear especially under 15,000 miles. With more and more sensors and electronic systems in vehicles nowadays, it's not uncommon to link one thing to another. Meaning, to run something in a certain mode may trip an error in something else. In this case, the possibility of a common factor of eco mode and the brake sensor error.

As mentioned, I find it of extreme coincidence a forum member exemplified the same issue as me with almost exact symptoms and situation. Looking forward to the dealer visit and finding out the root cause and solution
Old 08-21-2018, 04:30 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

It's not the sensors or wear - it's the right front cable going from the brakes to the computer.

It happened to me and they had to change the cable, is it is a bad cable, and loses connectivity. In other words the cable itself breaks and shows open, which according to the tech at GM who changed mine has the same effect as the sensors indicating wear.

They changed mine in 45 minutes and the issue went away. i have to assume that GM has an issue with these cables.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Plstxmd
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Good info!! Do you have the part# for the front sensors??

I'm not likely to pay that kind of money for something I really don't need, however I am going to pursue a much cheaper solution. I'm planning to get some cheap sensors (around $1.50 each) for another model car, and I think the small sensor part that clips into the pad is the same as our sensor. If so, then I can just splice that new sensor onto my existing wire to maintain the warning system.

I'll post up if I can find the correct sensor part.

agreed. It looks like a pretty standard brake wear indicator from an AMG Mercedes, say a c63 or s63.they might be $8 in the aftermarket.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM
tran03
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
It's not the sensors or wear - it's the right front cable going from the brakes to the computer.

It happened to me and they had to change the cable, is it is a bad cable, and loses connectivity. In other words the cable itself breaks and shows open, which according to the tech at GM who changed mine has the same effect as the sensors indicating wear.

They changed mine in 45 minutes and the issue went away. i have to assume that GM has an issue with these cables.
Good info. Thank you. Will be sure to post up the culprit tomorrow after going to the dealership myself.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Lots of good info. I had no idea about this issue. I suppose eventually I will run into this same problem. Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 PM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Reviving this, I have 12k miles on mine and have the same issue with the notification. Going into the dealership on the 15th. How can I visibly check the pads to make sure they aren't actually worn. 2016 Z07, still under bumper to bumper.

Last edited by FiftyFiv3; 04-03-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:54 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FiftyFiv3
Reviving this, I have 12k miles on mine and have the same issue with the notification. Going into the dealership on the 15th. How can I visibly check the pads to make sure they aren't actually worn. 2016 Z07, still under bumper to bumper.
measure pad thickness with scale or mic through wheel. should not alarm if more than 50 % of new thickness. mine were over 90% when false alarm triggered. replaced $40 sensor and problem went away. dealer unable to fix saying normal operation. this is a known problem.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:59 PM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Originally Posted by CONMAX
measure pad thickness with scale or mic through wheel. should not alarm if more than 50 % of new thickness. mine were over 90% when false alarm triggered. replaced $40 sensor and problem went away. dealer unable to fix saying normal operation. this is a known problem.
Thanks but I'm a noob, scale or mic? What does new thickness measure at? Wanted to enjoy the car this weekend but worried about destroying CCBs.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

No worry about ware on the pads. I had my Warning come up at 16K miles, took to Dealer who couldn’t replicate the Warning. Since mine was intermittent I knew it was the wiring vs the pad ware. I looked it up here and found I could buy new Wire/sencor for about $42 each but I decided to call the dealer and ask them to order two new ones, which they did. I was out of warranty and it cost about $200. total to have them replace both front one. Problem solved for a while. The Warning was just annoying.
Jim
Old 04-04-2019, 12:06 PM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Originally Posted by VetterFlyer
No worry about ware on the pads. I had my Warning come up at 16K miles, took to Dealer who couldn’t replicate the Warning. Since mine was intermittent I knew it was the wiring vs the pad ware. I looked it up here and found I could buy new Wire/sencor for about $42 each but I decided to call the dealer and ask them to order two new ones, which they did. I was out of warranty and it cost about $200. total to have them replace both front one. Problem solved for a while. The Warning was just annoying.
Jim
This is reassuring given that I tend to be a worry wort. Thanks Jim, I'll see what the dealership comes back with on the 15th and enjoy it worry free until then.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FiftyFiv3
No real need to use a gauge although you can if you want. Brake pads fail inspection in a lot of states when they reach 2/32 (or 1/16) thickness above the backing plate. That is easy to eye ball or a nickel coin can provide a depth estimate as the distance from the edge to the top of the head is 2/32.

To tell whether the pads are OK, pull the wheel and you can easily see the outside pad but to see the inside pad you may have to turn the steering wheel so the caliper turns outward to make the pad visible. The wear sensor is sort of a pill like looking thing that is attached to the pad. If the rotor is touching the wear sensor the pad is wearing. All the sensor is is a wire loop attached to the computer that senses whether or not a short circuit exists. When the rotor wears through the sensor and breaks the wire the circuit opens and you get the pad wear warning. There is a sensor at each wheel on the inside pad and the sensor wiring connects to a harness on the front and rear cradles. The connectors are two wire connectors and a bitch to reach from outside of the car (well if you have a 4 ft long arm it may not be so hard). If one of the connectors is making poor contact in one of its two wires you will get the warning, if a wire going to the sensor pill on the pad is broken you will get the warning. The easiest place to check is at the pad where you can actually see what is going on. Any place else and you will need an ohm meter so you can measure the resistance of the circuit. 0 resistance equals a short and is good while infinite resistance equals an open circuit which is bad.

Here are some pictures showing the pads, rotors and sensor wiring. I don't have a picture of the pill per se but once you actually look at the pad you will be able to see it.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
DTOM (01-03-2022), ilkSurfer (07-15-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 02:20 PM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Thanks Bill, this is incredibly helpful.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:29 AM
prosdoc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have s set of Pagid RSC-1 pads that I want to put on in for track day. What’s the best way to remove the sensor from the stock pads so I can place them on the Pagids, without breaking the sensor?
Old 05-26-2019, 12:07 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

sensor sits next to pad and just pulls out or falls out when you remove pads. no need for tools or to disconnect anything. just plug into hole on new pads. if you still get brake worn out warning, it is because the wire from sensor to connector is worn through or sensor is faulty. many are routed too close from factory and end up rubbing moving parts. only cost about $40. since you are replacing pads, order sensor in advance before changing. to determine which 1 or 4 is causing warning, jumper across sensor wires one at a time. most likely front left or right since steering wheels. my pads were at 95% of my so i just replaced sensor
Old 05-26-2019, 12:17 PM
prosdoc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sensor sits next to pad and just pulls out or falls out when you remove pads. no need for tools or to disconnect anything. just plug into hole on new pads. if you still get brake worn out warning, it is because the wire from sensor to connector is worn through or sensor is faulty. many are routed too close from factory and end up rubbing moving parts. only cost about $40. since you are replacing pads, order sensor in advance before changing. to determine which 1 or 4 is causing warning, jumper across sensor wires one at a time. most likely front left or right since steering wheels. my pads were at 95% of my so i just replaced sensor
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not get a warning signal...I just want to remove the sensor and reattach them to the Pagids. When I tried to remove it from the stock pad I felt like I was going to break it. I wasn't sure if there was some trick to removing them from the pad, that's all.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:17 PM
dptmachine
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this job when I swapped my brakes out for AP Radicals for the track. I used a pair of needle nose type of vise grips, they have a good purchase area on the sensor. I gave just enough clamping pressure to grip that allowed me to focus on pulling straight back. They popped right out. I used some heat shrink and zipped tied them back in the chassis as the AP radicals do not have an accomodation for the sensor. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Z07 worn brake message TSB

Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

the false worn message has nothing to do with the brake material. it is related to the wiring. the wire can scrape against something causing a false brake worn message. the wires can also fail w/o rubbing, or the pads can actually be worn. i had 2 false alarms on my Z07. with over 90% remaining pad material, i found a bad wire on one and sensor on the other.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by diguy
Are the worn brake sensors only on CC brakes? I just replaced front rotors on 17 GS because inside pads were gone but outside looked ok. First indication was metallic grinding sound with brake application during track day.
Only on the ceramic rotor cars. They can't use a squealer tab like they do on iron brake cars since it would damage the rotor.

Bill
Old 11-28-2019, 01:04 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

FYI I have posted this on other threads
AC Delco (Brembo) brake pads including the expensive CCB pads (incl wires) come with a 24m warranty
If pads wear out or sensor wire fails retailer will replace with new ones or give 100% moneyback..I've done this thru Amazon with no problems
Here's the warranty text at the bottom of Amazon ads:

The following users liked this post:
DTOM (01-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Z07 worn brake message TSB