C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Good Alternative or Addition to PDR (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Good Alternative or Addition to PDR (vid)

I had been looking for a decent alternative to the Vette's PDR (since for some reason I didn't think I would ever use it- I was wrong).

So, after trying a couple of phone apps with data logging capability, which worked 'OK', I decided to buy the new VIRB Ultra 30.

I really, really like this recorder. It has all kinds of great features including voice recognition, touch screen, and a lot of performance overlays which are customizable.

Below is a video of an AutoX event that took place this morning. I overlayed the gauges that I thought would be most relevant but there are several others available and in different configurations.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:27 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Very cool, thanks for sharing. How do you get the vehicle information on the video? Is there an additional accessory to buy to make it?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:03 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I am in the same boat (didn't purchase the PDR, then I went to Spring Mtn and realized the error of my ways). As such, I have a similar question as to how you were able to integrate the data with the video. This looks very promising.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 PM
ban25
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Harry's Lap Timer along with a Bluetooth ODB reader (Kiwi3) and GoPro. It's an inexpensive solution that gives good results:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1North
Thanks for sharing. I am in the same boat (didn't purchase the PDR, then I went to Spring Mtn and realized the error of my ways). As such, I have a similar question as to how you were able to integrate the data with the video. This looks very promising.
yeah, good question. I used the OBDII UNIT below. It claimed to be the fastest on the market. There are cheaper versions available but I've heard of terrible experiences with the other units. This one worked flawlessly. I believe I paid $69.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:44 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie-d
yeah, good question. I used the OBDII UNIT below. It claimed to be the fastest on the market. There are cheaper versions available but I've heard of terrible experiences with the other units. This one worked flawlessly. I believe I paid $69.

Excellent leads - thanks, gents!

Get notified of new replies

To Good Alternative or Addition to PDR (vid)

Quick Reply: Good Alternative or Addition to PDR (vid)