C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 hitting rev limiter in auto!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default A8 hitting rev limiter in auto!

I have a 2017 C7 Z06 A8 and the last couple of days I noticed that while its in auto and in sport mode it hits the rev limiter on full throttle. Anybody else have this issue. If the car is in auto it should shift in time and not bounce into the rev limiter. I mean I'm not doing manual mode or anything, and also being in sport mode it usually has very quick shifts. It doesn't always do it but it has happened 3 times the past 2 times I drove it. It just started happening too, I have had it 6 months and it has 4k miles on it. I just don't understand why its hitting the rev limiter in full auto! The car will hit the rev limiter, lug forward, shift, and then I can hit the gas again. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:24 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Odds (not a guarantee!) are you are NOT hitting the rev limiter. The A8 is cool - when it upshifts it cuts fuel ever so briefly to let the trans shift even quicker. Since that's also how the rev limit (can) work, it does sound like it, but it's not a bad thing.

In fact it's one of the coolest things about the A8, I think, once you know it's OK!

Now if you're sure about the "lug forward" stuff, then you've got a problem, I just wrote that off as memory embellishment. You should not -feel- the fuel cut I'm talking about. If you really do, you indeed have something else going on.

Ask yourself this - how many times does it hit the rev limiter on each shift? If it's once, it's likely fuel cut. If, when keeping your foot into it, it bangs off the limiter a couple or more times, then that's a rev limiter. It's also possible, I suppose, that both are happening (it's shifting AND hitting the limiter exactly once) but that's about my pay grade.

Last edited by davepl; 06-13-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm unsure if this is related, but...

I've had the A8 fail to shift from 1st to 2nd a couple of times at the drag strip. It hits the limiter and the whole nose of the car drops and won't accelerate until I let off the gas and get back on it then it shifts normally.

I don't know for sure, but it seemed only to happen on passes when I started my burnout in manual mode in first gear, then shifted to second with the paddle. After finishing the burnout I would move the gear lever from M to D and then line up to start the pass.

I've now just decided to hold first gear when heating up the tires instead of shifting to second mid-burnout and have not had the problem since. *knocks on wood*
Old 06-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Also, I know you said you were in auto mode - but when the issue occurred, had you recently pulled on the downshift paddle? (Preparing for a turn, coming to a stop, etc.)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:28 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

It is possible the rear tires have lost traction and if so the transmission isn't allowed to shift until engine power is reduced and the spinning stops. This power reduction is what you feel with the "lug forward". Do you have the PDR option? If so record one of these runs and you will likely see the TCS symbol show up.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Odds (not a guarantee!) are you are NOT hitting the rev limiter. The A8 is cool - when it upshifts it cuts fuel ever so briefly to let the trans shift even quicker. Since that's also how the rev limit (can) work, it does sound like it, but it's not a bad thing.

In fact it's one of the coolest things about the A8, I think, once you know it's OK!

Now if you're sure about the "lug forward" stuff, then you've got a problem, I just wrote that off as memory embellishment. You should not -feel- the fuel cut I'm talking about. If you really do, you indeed have something else going on.

Ask yourself this - how many times does it hit the rev limiter on each shift? If it's once, it's likely fuel cut. If, when keeping your foot into it, it bangs off the limiter a couple or more times, then that's a rev limiter. It's also possible, I suppose, that both are happening (it's shifting AND hitting the limiter exactly once) but that's about my pay grade.
The A8 shifts super quick and hard but trust me this is banging into the rev limiter and lugs forwards, put it in manual mode and rev it and hit the limiter, that's exactly how it feels in auto in sport mode. This shouldn't be happening though, the auto should be quick and know when to shift, no reason for the auto to hit the rev limiter, I think something is wrong.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:07 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
I'm unsure if this is related, but...

I've had the A8 fail to shift from 1st to 2nd a couple of times at the drag strip. It hits the limiter and the whole nose of the car drops and won't accelerate until I let off the gas and get back on it then it shifts normally.

I don't know for sure, but it seemed only to happen on passes when I started my burnout in manual mode in first gear, then shifted to second with the paddle. After finishing the burnout I would move the gear lever from M to D and then line up to start the pass.

I've now just decided to hold first gear when heating up the tires instead of shifting to second mid-burnout and have not had the problem since. *knocks on wood*
Yes, that's what I experienced, but it's not 1st to 2nd its 2nd to 3rd and it just shouldn't be doing it. I'm going to go to my local Chevy place but they don't know **** so that's why I asked on here.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Interesting. Would like to hear what you find out.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:28 PM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow now im curious because this happens to me as well but its so random that if I took it to the dealer they would think that i'm crazy of course.. it only happens out of the blue as if the computer forgets to shift.. I have a 2016 3LZ ZO7
Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

I've experienced this a few times , it only does it after I manually change gears (paddles) ... While in Drive still, fully expecting the car to shift automatically going forward the car will fall on its face. Expecting driver input I suspect since I've changed the gears. Not sure if there's a time out feature or a reset for it to resume normal shifting ...
Old 06-13-2017, 08:36 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

If I remember correctly (which is not a given) it will definitely bounce off the rev limiter if you're paddle shifting and then forget - which is pretty easy if the trans is still in "manual" mode because you pulled a paddle 10 seconds ago. Could it be that simple?

What I mean is you do NOT put the trans in M, but you just pull a paddle from 1-2, let's say. Now a few moments later the 2-3 upshift is due and you figure the trans will do it itself, but it won't, because you've activated "temporary Manual mode". So it hits the rev limiter at the top of 2nd gear. Then by the time you look around, it's back in Automatic mode.

If that's the case, it's almost a bug (ie: the trans should upshift at 6500 in 'temporary manual mode' even if you don't pull the paddle).

Last edited by davepl; 06-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:46 PM
charles7970
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine just does it out if nowhere in just drive mode, its not all the time just sometimes and when it happens i freak out and let go of the gas lol then i drive normally and it shifts fine.

Most of the time it shifts the way it should which is about 95% of the time but there's random 5% occasional hiccups
Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If I remember correctly (which is not a given) it will definitely bounce off the rev limiter if you're paddle shifting and then forget - which is pretty easy if the trans is still in "manual" mode because you pulled a paddle 10 seconds ago. Could it be that simple?

What I mean is you do NOT put the trans in M, but you just pull a paddle from 1-2, let's say. Now a few moments later the 2-3 upshift is due and you figure the trans will do it itself, but it won't, because you've activated "temporary Manual mode". So it hits the rev limiter at the top of 2nd gear. Then by the time you look around, it's back in Automatic mode.

If that's the case, it's almost a bug (ie: the trans should upshift at 6500 in 'temporary manual mode' even if you don't pull the paddle).
You recall correctly, that is exactly what will cause the car to bounce off the rev limiter. The car first has to "time out" of the paddle mode, while in D, to resume auto upshifting. Bad code ...

Last edited by HighBeta; 06-13-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by charles7970
Mine just does it out if nowhere in just drive mode, its not all the time just sometimes and when it happens i freak out and let go of the gas lol then i drive normally and it shifts fine.

Most of the time it shifts the way it should which is about 95% of the time but there's random 5% occasional hiccups
If you are fully in D and never touched the paddles - that sounds like an anomaly, I wonder if there is a technical service bulletin covering it?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:48 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Mine has never bounced off of the rev limiter in "D", but I have bounced it off of the rev limiter using the paddle shifter. I drive mine in Sport mode 99% of the time.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta
You recall correctly, that is exactly what will cause the car to bounce off the rev limiter. The car first has to "time out" of the paddle mode, while in D, to resume auto upshifting. Bad code ...
That's what I figured, not too big on that code. Does anyone happen to know the elapsed time for it to reset?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If you have used the paddle shifters while in drive, hold in the upshift paddle for more than one second and it will exit paddle mode.
The following users liked this post:
HighBeta (06-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To A8 hitting rev limiter in auto!

Old 06-14-2017, 12:13 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
Also, I know you said you were in auto mode - but when the issue occurred, had you recently pulled on the downshift paddle? (Preparing for a turn, coming to a stop, etc.)
No, I was on a straight stretch of road both times, I hammer the gas and it just runs into the rev limiter and lugs forward....
Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by charles7970
Wow now I'm curious because this happens to me as well but it's so random that if I took it to the dealer they would think that I'm crazy of course.. it only happens out of the blue as if the computer forgets to shift. I have a 2016 3LZ ZO7
Sounds like you have the same experience as me, it doesn't do it all the time but I was weird because it happened to me 3 times on 2 different days, I did drive it yesterday and didn't experience it. My concern is that the transmission in auto should know when to shift and not hit the rev limiter, I took it to the dealership and they told me to bring it in so the Corvette tech can drive it, I'm not going to take it in cause the chances he will come across this problem while he test drives it is slim. Not sure what else I can do, if it happens again I guess ill let them test drive it.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:29 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by djnice
Interesting. Would like to hear what you find out.
They didn't tell me anything besides bring it back so the Corvette tech can test drive it. Not sure how that's going to help solve the problem. It isn't something that happens every time.

Quick Reply: A8 hitting rev limiter in auto!