C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 hitting rev limiter in auto!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:31 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by charles7970
Mine just does it out if nowhere in just drive mode, its not all the time just sometimes and when it happens i freak out and let go of the gas lol then i drive normally and it shifts fine.

Most of the time it shifts the way it should which is about 95% of the time but there's random 5% occasional hiccups
This sums it up pretty well!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:34 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If I remember correctly (which is not a given) it will definitely bounce off the rev limiter if you're paddle shifting and then forget - which is pretty easy if the trans is still in "manual" mode because you pulled a paddle 10 seconds ago. Could it be that simple?

What I mean is you do NOT put the trans in M, but you just pull a paddle from 1-2, let's say. Now a few moments later the 2-3 upshift is due and you figure the trans will do it itself, but it won't, because you've activated "temporary Manual mode". So it hits the rev limiter at the top of 2nd gear. Then by the time you look around, it's back in Automatic mode.

If that's the case, it's almost a bug (ie: the trans should upshift at 6500 in 'temporary manual mode' even if you don't pull the paddle).
This could be it, but.... I was driving it and didn't even touch the paddles, it was in auto and it still did it...maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of this but again, my issue was that transmission in auto should know exactly when to shift to avoid hitting the rev limiter, cause the car will lug forward and it feels really weird.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Mine has never bounced off of the rev limiter in "D", but I have bounced it off of the rev limiter using the paddle shifter. I drive mine in Sport mode 99% of the time.
haha yeah I have bounced of the rev limiter in manual mode a few times lol
Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkgrayVetteZ06
This could be it, but.... I was driving it and didn't even touch the paddles, it was in auto and it still did it...maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of this but again, my issue was that transmission in auto should know exactly when to shift to avoid hitting the rev limiter, cause the car will lug forward and it feels really weird.
If you're in D and didn't touch a paddle and it hit the rev limiter and nosed over, you've got a problem the dealer needs to check. Sorry!
Old 06-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Slow Poke
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2017 C7 Z06 A8 and the last couple of days I noticed that while its in auto and in sport mode it hits the rev limiter on full throttle. Anybody else have this issue. If the car is in auto it should shift in time and not bounce into the rev limiter. I mean I'm not doing manual mode or anything, and also being in sport mode it usually has very quick shifts. It doesn't always do it but it has happened 3 times the past 2 times I drove it. It just started happening too, I have had it 6 months and it has 4k miles on it. I just don't understand why its hitting the rev limiter in full auto! The car will hit the rev limiter, lug forward, shift, and then I can hit the gas again. Any help is appreciated.
Try the easy things first. Disconnect battery for 5 minutes and reconnect. The transmission computer will reset and have to learn the shift patterns again. My 15Z had the same problem of hitting the fuel cut off during WOT in Drive mode. After disconnecting battery and resetting have not had the issue since. On the A8 1st should shift at 6400 and all other gears about 6500-6600 with no fuel cut off.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
If you have used the paddle shifters while in drive, hold in the upshift paddle for more than one second and it will exit paddle mode.
Good info, thanks !
Old 06-15-2017, 09:08 PM
STINGmole
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 153 Posts

I had that happen in my Stingray, but assumed that it was because I bumped a paddle or it hadn't switched back to auto after temporally activating the manual mode. I was expecting it to shift at redline.

If you do pull a paddle and want to to go back into auto immediately, if you hold down the right (upshift) paddle, it will toggle back immediately.
​​​​
Holding down the left paddle while in manual, shifts into the lowest possible gear and rev matches.

If/when you hit the limiter, you will know it. It goes into limp mode and it's quite obvious.

Last edited by STINGmole; 06-15-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 PM
TG's Z
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

My 2016 A8 has never experienced this. If it were me, I would run around with the PDR on until an "event" was captured, then take it in. Either way, I would take it in....maybe they will reflash your Trans to restart the learning process.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I have a 2017 C7 Z06 A8 and the last couple of days I noticed that while its in auto and in sport mode it hits the rev limiter on full throttle. Anybody else have this issue. If the car is in auto it should shift in time and not bounce into the rev limiter. I mean I'm not doing manual mode or anything, and also being in sport mode it usually has very quick shifts. It doesn't always do it but it has happened 3 times the past 2 times I drove it. It just started happening too, I have had it 6 months and it has 4k miles on it. I just don't understand why its hitting the rev limiter in full auto! The car will hit the rev limiter, lug forward, shift, and then I can hit the gas again. Any help is appreciated.
Is your car bone stock including tires?

Quick Reply: A8 hitting rev limiter in auto!