C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

847 miles later 2016 Z06 Transmission Failure #2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:58 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,625 Likes on 1,744 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by ronkellogg
Sorry for the long post but Need advice from people that have dealt with GM.
My 2016 Z06 which I purchased new is one year old and has 7500 miles. I noticed very slight shutter early on but never pushed the issue.
Brakes started pulsating at around 4500 miles and dealer replaced both front rotors. Improved greatly but now it's back.
Took car in for shutter on June 26 and asked for a road force balance while they had it. Dealer had car for one week (until July 3) and did trans triple flush and replaced 3 wheels during road force balance. Shutter was improved slightly but still present, brake pulsation was back and wheel balance was worse than before. Took car back to dealer July 10 and now dealer says they're waiting on GM to tell them what to do. I personally don't think they've done anything but want to stay calm and handle this correctly. FYI this isn't my first corvette
1979 coupe, 1995 coupe, 1998 coupe, 2000 convertible, 2003 convertible, 2005 convertible, 2009 convertible, 2012 GS convertible, 2015 Z51 Convertible. I now have a 2016 Z06 Convertible and a 1966 convertible All have been new except my first three and my 66. Never a issue before. Should I be in contact with chevy customer service?
Is this constant or at certain speeds? Reminds me of the ZR vibration issue. Do you have a case # with GM? Has the Field service manager been contacted ? Are you Dealing with the Service Manager at your Dealership?
Call and tell them you want to know exactly WHO they are waiting on. There is a Chevy Customer Service person on here, but past experience the individual changes day to day. Would not hurt to message your details to them. Message me if you need help. Hoping you get a resolution soon!

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 07-13-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

OP. Have you tried using M mode at that speed and dropping a gear or two while cruise is on?

throw it in neutral no cruise obviously and see what happens at that speed as well. If it's the converter pulsing issue many A8 owners notice it's designed that way. Terrible design. GM underestimated the way we as owners would react to it or sense it.. Somebody dropped the ball during the development and I bet with some digging you can find at least the patsy getting blamed because he no longer works in that dept or for GM my guess.

if it doesn't change could be a rear half shaft, bearing, the rear diff, torque tube, flexplate. It's tough. They probably would have to hook up that sonic tester that reads a bunch of mics positioned everywhere inside and out underneath etc. To figure it out.

given that you also have pulsating brakes head City issue because it could have something to do with one of your rotors or more than one. Could also be the tires. Have you taken it on many different highways and try the same thing? We have beautiful highways in an area here you would think no issue but the grooves the big heavy trucks put in them in the wide tires in this car play havoc on it when you cruising down the road.

has anyone ever checked your rear diff fluid level? Just would not surprise me if it was something to do with the ring and pinion or the rear end somewhere because if you think about it that's the pretty much one constant those where your half shafts any internal part in the trans post clutches and rear wheel bearings essentially anything behind that area of the trans that is always spinning at whatever RPM vs speed you do the torque tube Works off of engine speed so I doubt it's that but you still never know I could be sending a frequency that's disturbing the cabin?

there was a forum member that had a stingray and it wasn't the usual pulsating of the torque converter and ended up being something in the rear end if I recall they took the car back to Bowling Green and diagnosed it there they swapped his car out with a new one and I believe they let him know later on or somebody checked for him that new the engineers working on it.

it's crazy but you can look this kind of thing up for just about every car there is on forum the nice of the car and the big of the following enthusiasts wise the more complaints you see just to varying degrees. The pickup trucks especially GMC and Chevy have issues like this they've been fixed with driveshafts tires rear ends new Trans new torque converter all kinds of crazy stuff and it usually starts out with the same complaint 65 70 75 miles an hour the vibration you can look it up on YouTube and watch the videos.

I'm not an engineer by any means but from all the reading watching and learning I do I think it comes back to the frequencies transmitted into the cabin and how they affect and oscillate the seat the steering wheel different areas of the car that's why they use those microphones to tell where it's coming from the name read out a certain level on the machine and they narrow it down it's complicated and obviously not every dealership knows what they're doing some have better texting others and better equipment.

when my ZO6 had about 350 miles on it I took it out one day and getting on the Parkway and 5th or 6th Gear at barely any throttle I felt that Rumble strip feeling and it was pretty aggressive I let go the gas it went away I gave a little more gas and came right back I kicked it down drove it it went away that appeared one more time at about 550 miles and now I have 1700 miles I haven't had the same thing happen to me since I don't know if I'm in for trouble down the road but all I know is right now it's operating flawlessly but that's how I started looking into all that when I noticed it in the car.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:37 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Mr. Kellogg, To avoid getting really conflicting Qs and Answers in one thread, please start your question in a separate thread. We would like to follow your situation separately from the OPs.

To the OP: Although you are understandably upset, you seem to be in the right place. The Dealer is working on the new differential and your attorney is working on the Lemon Law return. I expect both will do their job this time and hopefully the car will be fixed and soon after you will get a call to drop it off at some dealer and pick up a check.

What might be hard is deciding whether to get another Corvette or something else. Given what you have been through I might think of something else. However my first new Corvette was a 76 so I may also simply order another and expect that I will get a better one next time.

Good luck.

PS: Can anyone (or will anyone) share what the cost is for the LemonLaw attorney? Or is that paid by GM in the settlement?

Last edited by pkincy; 07-13-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:09 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy

PS: Can anyone (or will anyone) share what the cost is for the LemonLaw attorney? Or is that paid by GM in the settlement?
covered by the mfr. you pay nothing out of pocket.

at least that's how i've done it. 1800 my lemon
Old 07-14-2017, 05:05 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

GM still putting out sh*t Automobile article, read Cadillac

Which brings us to the 650-horsepower Camaro ZL1: It’s a car that, if you have two very short friends that can fit on the package shelf that passes for a rear seat, is absolutely delighted to carpool around Manhattan. Especially with the new 10-speed automatic transmission, which, we’ll go ahead and tell you now, is the single most impressive feature of the 2017 ZL1. It replaces the eight-speed automatic we had in the 640-horsepower Cadillac CTS-V a few weeks ago, the only feature we came back complaining about after a 700-mile weekend in the Caddy. It tended to shudder slightly as it hit eighth gear, and the engine dropped back to four cylinders to save gas. No such problem in the ZL1, but not much in the way of gas savings, either: Our mileage ran pretty close to the grim EPA ratings of 12 mpg city, 20 highway for the automatic, and 14 city and 20 highway for the six-speed manual.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 AM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Status?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:59 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Status update 8/11/17

Ladies and gentleman I know its been awhile since I updated this so let me give you a status report so to speak.

As of the last update I received an appt for my car to be dropped off for a "Final Repair attempt" via GM which was for the differential (now). The car was dropped off on 07/31/17. I received a call from the dealer on 8/3/17 saying that they ordered a completely brand new differential for the car and it should be in soon. As of yesterday I had not heard from the dealer on a status so I contacted them. Seems that the person working my case had a death in the family (hence the no contact which is acceptable) but the bad news (go figure) is my differential is on NATIONWIDE BACKORDER with ZERO ETA.

So my lawyer has already started the "timer" for GM to replay to my claim and they have until 10/4/17 to rectify the issue. So I am still sitting here at a standstill and driving around in a 2018 Chevy Equinox until my car is done (hooray for me huh). I also received clarification in regards to how a buy back would work etc. as well as my other options.

Thanks to everyone that has sent me messages of support and rants I greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the short update but the situation is basically been at a standstill thanks to GMs great customer service. Id also like to extend a special GFY to the Southeast Regional Field Service Director as HE is the assclown that has been giving me a hard way to go. I can only say that I am especially grateful that I dont have the pleasure of meeting this gentleman face to face.

Damon

Last edited by The Rock1; 08-11-2017 at 12:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Rock1:
Kinsale (08-11-2017), TOPSPOT (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rock1
Ladies and gentleman I know its been awhile since I updated this so let me give you a status report so to speak.

As of the last update I received an appt for my car to be dropped off for a "Final Repair attempt" via GM which was for the differential (now). The car was dropped off on 07/31/17. I received a call from the dealer on 8/3/17 saying that they ordered a completely brand new differential for the car and it should be in soon. As of yesterday I had not heard from the dealer on a status so I contacted them. Seems that the person working my case had a death in the family (hence the no contact which is acceptable) but the bad news (go figure) is my differential is on NATIONWIDE BACKORDER with ZERO ETA.

So my lawyer has already started the "timer" for GM to replay to my claim and they have until 10/4/17 to rectify the issue. So I am still sitting here at a standstill and driving around in a 2018 Chevy Equinox until my car is done (hooray for me huh). I also received clarification in regards to how a buy back would work etc. as well as my other options.

Thanks to everyone that has sent me messages of support and rants I greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the short update but the situation is basically been at a standstill thanks to GMs great customer service. Id also like to extend a special GFY to the Southeast Regional Field Service Director as HE is the assclown that has been giving me a hard way to go. I can only say that I am especially grateful that I dont have the pleasure of meeting this gentleman face to face.

Damon
I am really sorry to hear about all the problems you have been having with your beautiful new car. I hope this situation ends in your favor, seriously!
The following users liked this post:
The Rock1 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Damon
That's simply horrible. You have my sympathies and best wishes. I hope your attorney shoves the car up their collective backside. I'm not sure how you feel at this point but I'd be looking to finish this situation out with a win and would not gift them with my business after this. I had a similar situation back in the 80's and at that time their customer satisfaction line didn't even get me any contact with a live person. I never got a lick of help, just a continual sidestepping of responsibility. I didn't buy a GM car for another 15-20 years. I can only hope you end up happy with the outcome.
The Rock1 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Kinsale
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Not acceptable.

Damon
Sorry to hear about the BS you are going through, it is not acceptable and needs to be kicked up one more notch to the next Bozo in charge. My two buy backs from Mercedes; one a GTS and the other a 2015 S63 were a piece of cake compared to what you are going through. However, on the GTS, the Customer Support was dragging their feet up until I sent a letter to Mercedes Corp. addressed to the CEO. Within 24 hours the District Manager called and informed me that it would be a complete buy back to the penny. Two days later I had a check for the full amount. With what you are detailing, I am almost to the point of selling my 2017 Z06 and 2017 ZL1 and going back to Mercedes. So far, I have not had any problem, but with low miles on both cars it may be something I need to consider. Thank you for your update, very much appreciated.
The Rock1 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Damon,

Forgive me in advance if I'm a little of base here, but would you have any Polish blood in your family tree? The reason for such, some may consider an offensive question, a inquiry is that I do, 50 percent I'm told, and to quote you...

"Id also like to extend a special GFY to the Southeast Regional Field Service Director"

I with ya, one hundred and ten percent! Being a short timer at work I also lean on IDGAF quite a bit lately.

Do what Kinsale suggests, send it priority mail with tracking so you'll know when it gets there, can't hurt.

Hoping for a great outcome for ya!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:13 PM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike44665
Damon,

Forgive me in advance if I'm a little of base here, but would you have any Polish blood in your family tree? The reason for such, some may consider an offensive question, a inquiry is that I do, 50 percent I'm told, and to quote you...

"Id also like to extend a special GFY to the Southeast Regional Field Service Director"

I with ya, one hundred and ten percent! Being a short timer at work I also lean on IDGAF quite a bit lately.

Do what Kinsale suggests, send it priority mail with tracking so you'll know when it gets there, can't hurt.

Hoping for a great outcome for ya!
Mike thank you for the humor I greatly appreciate it! Im actually a Sicilian originally from NYC so yeah it takes quite a bit for me to write any post when Im even slightly aggravated (this update post took 5 rewrites). And as an FYI to all I actually DID send a letter and multiple VMs to the CFO and a few higher level executives at GM..their response was what I have been experiencing thus far... ZERO. Only now that I have a "lawyer" in play do they even respond (and mind you its to my attorney not me).

Oh and the kicker, my car has 3105 miles on the odometer (minus 275 -300 or so for rides to the dealership and test rides before and after repairs).

Damon
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dbintegrity
After they resolve this mess, call a lemon law lawyer anyway... I had issues with my new ford mustang and after they fixed it, I decided to contact a lawyer and he got me 7K back for my time... of course after his cut I netted 4600... damn lawyers.. lol
I hear ya on that one, I just got a check from some bank class action for the great sum of $2.47, a $22,000,000 outcome. I cringe when I hear class action on this forum. Might just as well send the lawyer a check and bend over he may give you a free reach a round,
Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

What a sad story and bad outcome. And, to think of all the eyeballs that will read this thread, very well-written, and just give it a second or third thought. Hard to make conquest buyers when this kind of thing goes on and is read on the biggest Corvette forum at least in the country.

Good luck OP. I very much understand the Sicilian attitude.
The Rock1 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
I hear ya on that one, I just got a check from some bank class action for the great sum of $2.47, a $22,000,000 outcome. I cringe when I hear class action on this forum. Might just as well send the lawyer a check and bend over he may give you a free reach a round,
I didn't get a red cent out of a class action lawsuit against Mercedes-Benz. I did get an extended warranty up to ten years and 150,000 miles if I were to experience any oil related engine problems during that time frame.

That extended warranty was worth thousands of dollars if I had had to pay for that extended warranty out of my pocket.

As it turned out, I never had a problem, but I did have an extended warranty if I had had a problem. That was worth something(more than $2.47).

That's all I asked from GM on my C6 Z06. An extended warranty. If there was absolutely no valve problems as GM tried to claim, then them offering an extended warranty would not have cost them a red cent(as no one would ever drop a valve). But they wouldn't. I wonder why.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-12-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Really sorry to hear about all the BS you've had to go through. I'm not too sure I could have been as patient as you were.

Maybe for your next car, you pick a different color.
The Rock1 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 03:44 AM
Mike44665
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck finding humor in this........

Lavery Chevrolet in Alliance Ohio. Check their listings for used Corvettes. They have three listed, two are buy backs. Perhaps you can these as examples of you being disadvantaged by GM. GM is willing to buy back these examples, yet they are putting you through the ringer with your issues, bullcrap!
The Rock1 (08-20-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:01 PM
DocHollywood
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

It's awesome to hear that your DIFF is busted with no ETA on replacement. I just blew my Diff using launch control yesterday (17'GS M7). This is my third trip to the dealer for a diff repair (two "Service Rear Axle lights"). Guess my "clock" starts today.

This thread has got me worried about the future of this car and what to buy next, as I was about to trade in on a 17 A8 Z06.

Quick Reply: 847 miles later 2016 Z06 Transmission Failure #2!!!