C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealer joyriding my car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM
2017ZO6
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Defense
I would be pissed if they did this crap to my ride. They had no right disconnecting your cameras, period. 30 miles on my car during service will cost someone their job. I understand why you are upset. I dread taking my car in for service because some people just don't show respect for other peoples' property.
Sorry this level of car is not to be joyrided by techs!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by hcvone
We had a Chevy dealership in Warminster Pa and the service writer would take Corvette's to the Jersey shore on weekends joyriding, I know because the cars owner was with me fishing in south Jersey when we saw, followed and pulled over the car. Needless to say he was fired, but it seemed he did this for years.
Now that is "additional" mileage!

When I had my Tremec installed in my 68' I had the tech (owner's son) admit to me over the phone that he was amazed at how fast my car reached 100 MPH when he took it on a test drive.

I had originally called them to complain about all the grease marks that were all over my white side pipes. After I got off the phone, I put the car on my Kwik lift I saw that they also busted my side pipe mounts! I was pissed.....

Needless to say, but I don't take my car there anymore nor do I recommend that auto repair & restoration place in Emmitsburg, MD to anyone.

Last edited by 68ragtop69; 05-05-2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Taking a C7 into a dealership or a 3rd party shop seems to be interpreted as an open invitation for grease monkeys to play pretend race driver.
Try to never leave your car unattended with these guys and warn the Service Manager you will hold him responsible should stupidity ensue on his watch.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I'd be a lot more concerned with the procedure they used to put the car on the lift, than if they played around with it a little on the street. Most of the damage to my various Corvettes (aside from collisions) has been from not jacking it correctly.

C4 incident: They put the lift points under the floor pans, denting them upwards.
C5, a Chevy dealer put the lift points under the frame, but the lifting point was too far forward (and they didn't use jacking pucks), so the front fenders were damaged

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:14 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Seems like every other thread on these forums devolves into little more than some pretentious, holier than thou douche bags telling the OP that s/he is an idiot and they should just bend over and let [insert_antagonist_name_here] bone them in the ***, no matter what the OP's question and/or issue is, and then lecture them on why s/he shouldn't have even posted in the first place. What a shame.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by atvBob
Seems like every other thread on these forums devolves into little more than some pretentious, holier than thou douche bags telling the OP that s/he is an idiot and they should just bend over and let [insert_antagonist_name_here] bone them in the ***, no matter what the OP's question and/or issue is, and then lecture them on why s/he shouldn't have even posted in the first place. What a shame.
While I can somewhat see it that way, I'm not entirely seeing it that way, and I've never had much fascination with boning guys in the ***. If that's your thing, OK, but I might not be your best candidate for an "easy" date.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-05-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:46 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
Seems like every other thread on these forums devolves into little more than some pretentious, holier than thou douche bags telling the OP that s/he is an idiot and they should just bend over and let [[I]insert_antagonist_name_here] bone them in the ***, no matter what the OP's question and/or issue is, and then lecture them on why s/he shouldn't have even posted in the first place. What a shame.
30 miles? Or maybe it was 16-17 - either way, who cares? If the dash cams are OBD then they need to be unhooked to flash anything or read any on-board system. And the brakes squeaking is just a ridiculous thing to say. He is implying that they abused his car or something along those lines.

The car makes it in to private areas of the service center and it's not realistic to expect them to be OK with running cameras picking up everything that occurs. Their service agreement probably prohibits it. Put it in a different context - what if someone brought cameras in to the private areas in your place of work and filmed everything - and then left with the footage, free to make edits and post whatever they want.

Making an assumption that everyone is out to screw you and go after blood for the slightest thing is the issue here. If someone did go for a joy ride - which is very unlikely - hopefully it made their day and inspired them.

If someone driving your car for 30 miles with no signs of damage is getting bones in the ***, I think you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:49 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

My take on the miles. I have taken cars in for dealer service and had problems after picking the car up that would have been discovered if they had just taken the time to drive the car. Looking at it that way, be glad they drove it 30 miles to make sure things were right so you did not become their quality control department, possibly having to waste time returning the car because it was not fixed correctly.

I know the tendency is the assume the worst, but maybe a different assumption is the answer. Anyway, the things I have read and seen owners doing with these cars convinces me that there is little worry of catastrophic damage in 30 miles, short of them wrecking the car.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:18 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
While I can somewhat see it that way ...
Exactly.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Man, there is a lot of inexperience and naivety regarding human motivations and behavior on this thread.

When I was younger, I worked in the auto repair biz and know of that of which I speak.
Some posters seem not to have a clue of what really goes on when the cat is away...
Old 05-05-2017, 04:54 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Man, there is a lot of inexperience and naivety regarding human motivations and behavior on this thread.

When I was younger, I worked in the auto repair biz and know of that of which I speak.
Some posters seem not to have a clue of what really goes on when the cat is away...
Its just a difference in life experience and technique. I have found that if you treat people with respect and don't assume they are an ******* they will usually treat you the same.

I dont take my car to the dealership often, but when I do, several of the techs and sales people stop by to talk to me and they are always texting me pictures of my car while they are working on it to show me how good of a job they are doing and the care they are taking.

If I talked to them like I thought they were beneath me or I thought they were out to screw me, it might unfold that way.

i am the type to put a snickers bar and a $50 in there for the tech - and you might think you shouldn't have to (and you're right) but there have been times when I needed quick work and they will have multiple techs working on my car to get me ready for a track day.

Overall, you reap what you sew.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

And in high school, I worked valet parking at an "event" nightclub, so one could basically count on three hours before someone wanted their car back. I don't know of anyone damaging a powertrain, not that some of the valets didn't make heroic efforts while driving all aver the place. One guy with a Pontiac GTO remarked that his car seemed to have a lot more miles on the odometer than when he had dropped it off.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Its just a difference in life experience and technique. I have found that if you treat people with respect and don't assume they are an ******* they will usually treat you the same.

I dont take my car to the dealership often, but when I do, several of the techs and sales people stop by to talk to me and they are always texting me pictures of my car while they are working on it to show me how good of a job they are doing and the care they are taking.

If I talked to them like I thought they were beneath me or I thought they were out to screw me, it might unfold that way.

i am the type to put a snickers bar and a $50 in there for the tech - and you might think you shouldn't have to (and you're right) but there have been times when I needed quick work and they will have multiple techs working on my car to get me ready for a track day.

Overall, you reap what you sew.
Once upon a time, my views were similar to yours.
Unfortunately, the older I become the more life teaches me differently.

I won't reach back into history and retell my experiences with dealers etc., on this thread (I have things to do tonite ).
I'll just say, in general, when it comes to money (and property), never 100% trust anyone to be as ethical and have the respect for others' possessions as you might have.
Sadly, the best approach is to be vigilant and assume the worst...until proven differently (and no, I'm not saying act like an a$$hole when walking up to a dealer's front door either).
Originally Posted by Warp Factor
And in high school, I worked valet parking at an "event" nightclub, so one could basically count on three hours before someone wanted their car back. I don't know of anyone damaging a powertrain, not that some of the valets didn't make heroic efforts while driving all aver the place. One guy with a Pontiac GTO remarked that his car seemed to have a lot more miles on the odometer than when he had dropped it off.
Pretty typical.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:22 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Once upon a time, my views were similar to yours.
Unfortunately, the older I become the more life teaches me differently.

I won't reach back into history and retell my experiences with dealers etc., on this thread (I have things to do tonite ).
I'll just say, in general, when it comes to money (and property), never 100% trust anyone to be as ethical and have the respect for others' possessions as you might have.
Sadly, the best approach is to be vigilant and assume the worst...until proven differently (and no, I'm not saying act like an a$$hole when walking up to a dealer's front door either).
Pretty typical.
Yup I definitely respect you and your opinion and I think if you aren't able to make good connections then you leave a ton of risk out there. It's easier and more fun to make friends than be vigilant. As you point out, sometimes the only option is to be vigilant.

At the same time I suppose we should never forget about the scorpion and the turtle.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

So what? Well you doubled the amount of mileage which might make a difference if you want to accuse someone of joyriding. 30 miles is on the higher end of what is normal, 16-17 is on the lower end. 30 is still well within the range. It takes a while for these cars to warm up - mine takes like 20 minutes at idle to warm up.
OP - I think this guy drove your car
Old 05-06-2017, 07:58 AM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Sounds like the techs may have had some fun. 30 miles seems excessive. But what can you do, except swallow it and move on. It's gonna be their word vs yours. They may say you didn't give them permission to record them or some othe bs answer, so they disconnected it. They'll probably look at the squeaky brakes and fix/adjust on their dime to keep you happy.

Aside from convincing your cousin Guido to perform a knee adjustment on the tech and service manager with a Louisville slugger, forget it, find another place to have your car serviced and move on with your life.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

I took my 2003 Tahoe with 110K miles on it in for some suspension/brake work. The tech who did the work took it for a 15 mile drive to make sure it drove OK. The Service Writer called me and said they he was test driving it but they were sending their courtesy van to pick me up. When I got to the shop the tech hadn't returned yet. When I drove the vehicle home it drove as nicely as a car with 90K fewer miles on it. Did they screw me? No. The same tech has driven my 15 Z06 trying to diagnose problems for me and I haven't had any issues with that either. I treat people like I would want them to treat me. That includes not assuming everything they did was wrong.

There are people who easily get upset over things that aren't what they seem instead of looking at the situation from the positive side they look at it from the negative side. That is when they need feedback from people who aren't afraid to feed their negativity. Sure even paranoids are sometimes correct but in the vast majority of cases they aren't.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer joyriding my car??

Old 05-06-2017, 08:57 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

^^^ OP edited the post. It said 16-17 miles to start with - which is just about the bare minimum.

I would disconnect dash cams too - kind of a douchey thing to have in the first place and I definitely don't want them on.
For those with PDR (which can't be disconnected) that's what valet mode is for. Why do you think someone using my car for a specific purpose is entitled to privacy? Or to hide how they treated my car?

Last edited by pdiddy972; 05-06-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:44 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
For those with PDR (which can't be disconnected) that's what valet mode is for. Why do you think someone using my car for a specific purpose is entitled to privacy? Or to hide how they treated my car?
Four things - most dash cams connect to the OBD port which is used by the dealer to read the computer and check for recalls and other service bulletins. They most likely needed to be disconnected for that reason.

Second - as others have mentioned - this is a legal minefield for the Z06 owner and also the dealership. Activity unrelated to the repair of the vehicle would be recorded and possibly used for maliscous reasons. Some walks by and does something embarrassing that has no impact on others (scratches his *****, etc) and now it's on YouTube. As othera have said, get a data logger and get the parameters of the car.

Third, the type of person that has both front and rear dash cams is just dying for someone to do something that can be turned in to a conflict - and this post is proof of it. No way I'm leaving them connected when someone has such a short fuse.

Fourth - imagine how it would go if you told all of your employees that you would be turning on their computer web cams and recording all of their activity. It's one thing when it is longer distance video in public areas, but when it gets up close and personal, people will have a problem with it.
The following users liked this post:
VictorBarron (05-06-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 02:34 PM
gscone
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to get someone from corporate to come out and pull the DME file. This will show everything..

Quick Reply: Dealer joyriding my car??