C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

YASCDS (Yet Another Stone Chip Damage Situation)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default YASCDS (Yet Another Stone Chip Damage Situation)

Just dropped off my 2016 Z06 2LZ (purchased AUG 2016) @ the dealership. The General Manager agreed to "take care of me", so we'll see what that amounts to when it comes down to them realizing they'll need to repaint the rear quarters and replace the lower brake ducts.

I'm not looking for sympathy or folks to tell me how ignorant I was to NOT know this myself, so save the lecture. I'm simply documenting my experiences so that, if I am able to get it all resolved without issue and/or without cost, I can share a potential path for others to do the same.

Issue was noticed and brought to their attention after only a couple thousand miles, but the car had been put up for the winter by then so I said lets wait until spring to address.

As this was my first Corvette (ever), I wasn't aware of the potential for damage without side skirts and/or other coverage (e.g., Xpel, front splash guards, etc) ... AND they didn't say a word to me. I told them HAD they told me this when I bought the car I would have had them install the skirts and some Xpel before I picked it up. They didn't. I'm sure we're going to play games to see how it goes, but it's currently in process. We shall see.

At the crack of spring, I went with the 'extra long splash guard aka mud flap' strategy that gve put together (to minimize/eliminate any further damage while I drove it until I could get it in to the dealership). Seems to be working well and nobody has really noticed it unless I told them.

I've also purchased a set of CF 3/4 side skirts from C7 Carbon. Those will either be installed by the dealership (post corrections) or by me, upon it's return to my garage. Likely some Xpel as well.

Has anyone been successful in getting GM involved to cover any costs? Or have all the fixes been @ the expense of either the owner or the dealership?

Last edited by atvBob; 05-04-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Emphasis added to second paragraph.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:46 PM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would be really surprised if the dealership does this for free. They for sure shouldn't do it as a warranty claim as getting rock chips on the car (whether it comes from your car or someone elses) has nothing to do with the car not working as intended. Heck, even having side skirts and XPEL installed doesnt guarantee you wont get a rock chip. This is a "live and learn" moment...
Old 05-04-2017, 05:53 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
Has anyone been successful in getting GM involved to cover any costs? Or have all the fixes been @ the expense of either the owner or the dealership?
I don't see why GM or the dealership would ever be on the hook for road hazard damage. They don't fix windshields for free or rock chips on the nose or mirrors or nail holes in tires, which are also common.

Maybe someone complained enough that a dealership ate the cost out of their goodwill budget, who knows. But its not a warranty issue.

If the idea is that the car has a design defect that "causes" rock chips, I'd be a hard sell on that one... I drove the first 500 miles without skirts and didn't have any damage because our roads are clean here (lots of rain). Then I added skirts.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by IM3CPO
I would be really surprised if the dealership does this for free. They for sure shouldn't do it as a warranty claim as getting rock chips on the car (whether it comes from your car or someone elses) has nothing to do with the car not working as intended. Heck, even having side skirts and XPEL installed doesnt guarantee you wont get a rock chip. This is a "live and learn" moment...
Again, while I appreciate the response, I'm not asking for lectures or to be told what I should have known. Please re-read the OP if need be. This is meant simply to document another situation for potential future use.

As an aside, nowhere did I say it was or should be a warranty claim nor a 'bad design'. I simply said HAD they said something, I would have protected it. That's it. And I never said I wanted or expected a 'guarantee' that it would never get rock chipped. Not sure where you read any of that.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I don't see why GM or the dealership would ever be on the hook for road hazard damage. They don't fix windshields for free or rock chips on the nose or mirrors or nail holes in tires, which are also common.

Maybe someone complained enough that a dealership ate the cost out of their goodwill budget, who knows. But its not a warranty issue.

If the idea is that the car has a design defect that "causes" rock chips, I'd be a hard sell on that one... I drove the first 500 miles without skirts and didn't have any damage because our roads are clean here (lots of rain). Then I added skirts.
A simple yes or no will suffice, sans speculation. Thx.

Last edited by atvBob; 05-04-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: To be kinder and gentler to others ...
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 PM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
Again, while I appreciate the response, I'm not asking for lectures or to be told what I should have known. Please re-read the OP if need be. This is meant simply to document another situation for potential future use.

As an aside, nowhere did I say it was or should be a warranty claim nor a 'bad design'. I simply said HAD they said something, I would have protected it. That's it. And I never said I wanted or expected a 'guarantee' that it would never get rock chipped. Not sure where you read any of that.
I dont think Dave or I have a reading comprehension issue here.

If you wanted your experience to somehow notify potential owners of the increased likelihood of getting rock chips when you dont have side skirts or XPEL installed, you could have simply stated that and documented your experience. Your post asked if anyone had success in having the dealer cover the costs of repair of this type of damage because they didnt explain this risk to you when you bought the car. The only reason the dealership covers certain aspects of the car for 36 months or 36K miles is because the car is sold with a warranty to cover manufacturing defects for this period of time. There is no reason to assume dealership or car manufacturer would cover any costs outside of this warranty contract which is why Dave and I assumed you wanted to cover the costs under warranty.

Yes, the dealership could perhaps give you a discount to get the paint fixed but as I said earlier, I seriously doubt it they would do it for free.

I totally accept your initial disclaimer that you were seeking a certain type of feedback and my reply was outside of that scope. But just as you were seeking certain information, I too wanted to make people aware that paint damage done after delivery that is unrelated to anything the dealership or manufacturer did is not going to be covered "for free" from a dealership.

Last edited by IM3CPO; 05-04-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:33 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by IM3CPO
Your post asked if anyone had success in having the dealer cover the costs of repair of this type of damage because they didnt explain this risk to you when you bought the car.
A simple 'Yes' or 'No', sans the lectures, was all I was asking for.

I dont think Dave or I have a reading comprehension issue here.
A little harsh on my part. I've edited it to be nicer ...

I too wanted to make people aware that paint damage done after delivery that is unrelated to anything the dealership or manufacturer did is not going to be covered "for free" from a dealership.
Perhaps you should have started your own thread?

And after 11 new cars purchased or leased in the past 12 years *and* working in the automotive manufacturing industry for ~32 years, I'm pretty sure I know the primary scope and purpose of a manufacturer's warranty -- although I've been able to successfully get other issues addressed 'under warranty' that really should NOT have been, so I'll wait to see how this one works out.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by atvBob; 05-04-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Toombs
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

No.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

No.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

No.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 287 Likes on 173 Posts

I mean no, sorry fat fingers.
The following users liked this post:
atvBob (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 AM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
I mean no, sorry fat fingers.
LOL. I was actually expecting that one at some point ...
Old 05-05-2017, 08:11 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

This is an entertaining thread. Should they no. Will they, probably not, but props if you can finagle it to happen. This is kind of like saying "nobody told me how to properly wash my car and I now have swirl marks and water spots." The scenarios would be endless...

I realize you would like them to cover it, but if you were the dealer, would you honestly feel like this is something you would be responsible to cover? Part of me hopes they cover for your sake, and part of me doesn't. If GM covers these types of things under warranty, the price of vehicles would shoot up!

Last edited by bigterpsfan; 05-05-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 AM
str8six
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think if you were to buy the xpel and skirts from them they would probably 'help you out' by covering some of the repair and or xpel/skirt costs? Would be a reasonable gesture for them to try and get some repeat business and good word of mouth imho.
Good luck.
Len
Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 AM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
This is kind of like saying "nobody told me how to properly wash my car and I now have swirl marks and water spots." The scenarios would be endless...
Disagree. Every car will get swirl marks and spots if washed incorrectly, but how many do you know of that will sandblast the rear quarter panels without splash guards on the fronts or without sideskirts? None that I have ever driven or purchased besides this one (and I average ~1 new car per year).

IMHO, your analogy is horribly off, but thanks for the response.

Last edited by atvBob; 05-05-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:27 AM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Lousy attitude. . enjoy dem chips.

Get notified of new replies

To YASCDS (Yet Another Stone Chip Damage Situation)

Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

This situation is not unique to C7s or even Corvettes, every vehicle is subjected to road rash to some extent with low slung/big tired sports cars the most prone. You drove your car the better part of a year and put 1000s of miles on it while watching the damage get progressively worse all the while simple industry standard protection was available had you cared to inquire.

No, GM owes you nothing.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by FAsnakes
Lousy attitude. . enjoy dem chips.
Bee ohh ohh, ahyche ohh ohh.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:18 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
This situation is not unique to C7s or even Corvettes, every vehicle is subjected to road rash to some extent with low slung/big tired sports cars the most prone. You drove your car the better part of a year and put 1000s of miles on it while watching the damage get progressively worse all the while simple industry standard protection was available had you cared to inquire.

No, GM owes you nothing.
I bought my car in AUG and only drove it until NOV before it went up for the winter until a couple weeks. Strike one.

I *first* reported the issue to the dealership last OCT, not thousands of miles later. Strike two.

I also installed the 'large splash guards' (per gve's threads/posts) when the car was still up for winter storage prior to driving it this spring, which has all but eliminated FURTHER damage.

You're welcome to continue to try to impress everyone by being an ******* to make strike three, but honestly, I couldn't care less what you had to say, sunshine.

Last edited by atvBob; 05-05-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: YASCDS (Yet Another Stone Chip Damage Situation)