C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Huracan or Z06 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:56 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 2014 Corvette C7 Z51 LT3 Convertible RED vs 2016 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 Spyder

After 1 day of driving Huracan to choose our DD, here are my impressions (Note that my research was about driving hte car daily... not for driving 10 miles at a time.)
LAUNCH: Huracan wins.
C7 feels almost as fast.

LOOKS: Huracan 60/40.
It gets more attention from onlookers. Most family/friends said they liked our Vette more. We did not mention it is rental until the end in order not to introduce to the equation. Our take: C7 looks more brutal.

STATUS
: Huracan wins.
Might be a good thing or a bad thing. Rappers / Drug dealers all have been buying Gallardo's. Class envy is also more pronounced than driving a Vette.

It ends here for Huracan.

RIDE QUALITY: C7 wins. Big.

In Huracan, the ride was as bad, if not worse than Aventador. I have back pains since we returned rental. Anyone who had a ride in the car complained about seats and back pain, without exception. (Comparison: 20K miles on C7 and not a problem)

This car is extremely tiring and exhausting. In Sports mode, the noise inside cockpit is incredible. I was asked if there was a way to get rid of hte noise since conversation is difficult. This is some crazy mode, car always revs very high, gear almost never changes. They are trying to make 200 mph with single gear I think. Ridiculous. Debilitating.

Touring mode helps with ride quality. But touring mode is not hte same as in C7. There is no sound from engine, there is no sound from exhaust. In C7 when you hit the floor, even in Touring mode car feels like a beast on demand. Not so in Huracan. You do not hear of feel anything happening except car going faster.

C7 even in Sports mode is more comfortable than Huracan Touring mode.

EXHAUST: C7 wins.

We had Sports Exhaust on C7. Huracan also had Sports Exhaust installed.

Huracan's exahust is boring. On upshifts it gets a bit interesting, but on downshifts it always makes the same sounds... at the same intensity. From 5th to 4th, same pop, from 4th to 3rd... same pop... same intensity. You know what to expect whenever you downshift. In contrast, downshifts are awesome in C7 -- you never know what you will hear. Hiss, tsss, cracks, pops... just awesome on C7. We loved to downshift from 5th to 1st when coming to a stop. Each gear, different sounds. Never did that with Huracan as all gears are the same intensity. Can't wait to get 6 dbA higher Z06!

Huracan also makes random, uncalled pops out of hte blue, like a James Bond movie. When Bond is having a 5 mins conversation with someone on screen, you see at the background things are blowing up, people are flying around... It is the same feeling. Where the hell did that pop come from when the car has been going at the same speed??? It is stupid.

[WOT C7 89 dbA, Huracan Sport Exhaust 92 dbA, Z06 95 dbA (Every 10 dbA increase doubles sound intensity)]

STEREO SYSTEM: C7 wins.

More powerful, clearer sound on C7. There was distortion on Huracan (might be because it was rental). Still stereo was more powerful on C7.

Bluetooth streaming was there. We had interruptions to bluetooth frequently (might be because it is rental). CD Player is there for 80+ folks to play their CD collections. I don't know if they have 30-disc CD changers in there or up in front, but it might not surpise me if they had. Please, year is 2017! SD Card is there (we could not make it work). Handsfree calls are there.

TECHNOLOGY: C7 wins. BIG.

That was my original complaint and the main one that made us feel like we are downgrading our ride.

We have have random people run up to us and ask "How did you do that? What car is that?" when we started the car remotely and put the top down. Do you know how cool this is, how futuristic it looks? It also scares the rubbernecks like hell (remote engine start). Right there with your C7 since 2014 ... Coming to a Lambo in 2044.

I love how I never need to do anything with the FOB in my pocket/purse. Our house locks are also biometric. Experience is seamless. Not so with Huracan. You have to take the FOB out, press a button, pull some lever on the door... Enter the car, try to find a place to put the FOB (you can't put it back to your pocket, car is tight)...

I love how my husband freezes himself while I keep teh A/C warm for my side. Not in Lambo.

I love that I have a hidden compartment to keep my passport, car's docs, etc.

I love how I get a USB header on the hidden compartment or 4 USB headers so that I can charge my E-cig easily at any convenient location.

I love how I can skip/play/rewind tracks straight from the steering wheel. Not in Lambo. While driving, you have to fondle to find the right one of the 3 round *****, then try to feel the bottom of it to be able to press the correct button.

I love how I can open the door with the press of a button instead of using archaic door handles.

I love our HUD. I love our center screen. I love our dashboard.

C7 is as good as it gets.

HEIGHT: C7 wins.

My husband who is 5'9/10 has to tilt his had forward to be able to drive Huracan. His vision is complete blocked by the top of the windshield when top down, making the car unusable. Dealer said couple is slightly better. If we pass by the showroom again, we will test this.

SPACE: C7 wins.

We could barely fit in 2 of our 17" Alienware laptops to Huracan. With their bags, they would not fit. Ridiculous.

CONVERTIBLE: C7 wins.

In Huracan, you feel like you are in a coffin. You have no rear/rear-side visibility. You also cannot see the front of the car at all. I don't know where it ends. You do not have openness of driving a convertible.

HURACAN MISC QUIRKS

* Signals are on the steering wheel. You do not always give signal when the car is going straight. Many times we had to give signal while entering from a curved road and we could not do it on Huracan. Who thinks this scythe?

* Screen is behind the wheel. When reversing, you need the Rear View Camera, but if you turned the steering wheel (which is what you will do most of the time reversing), you are blocking it when you most need it! Who thinks this scythe?

* You have to rest your hands on your lap. You cannot lay it in the middle. You will do that frequently (muscle memory) and you will poke all the gear buttons there. Thankfully they are difficult to depress (which is a problem on its own). Very inefficient layout.

* It has a very small compartment at the back of center console. If you wanted to charge your phone, it will not close properly. When you lay your hand there, you will damage the phone.

* It has some cutout in the center console for storage. You can put phone there (difficultly) and that phone will fly under your gas/brake pedal when you make a sharp turn. Dangerous.

* Gauges in Italian. Benzine, Olio, Aqua, etc. So every time we look at any gauge, we have to make the extra effort of reading the unknown word, thinking car threw out an error message. They shouldn't have put any writings. "Oil" is 3 letters. You do not actually read it when you look at it. But when there is a 4-letter word in its place, you notice it is different and pause.

* Archaic FOB. I was asked "Is this Lamborghini key?" Since this is all about looks, why not make these elegant like a C7?

* If you downshift once, sometimes it will take you out of the Auto mode, sometimes it won't (Maybe there is a methodology to this). When the car starts, it is not cool to do 1st gear till 8000 rpm thinking you are in auto mode! This is more intelligent in C7.

* It does not stick to the last mode you selected and defaults to Tour always.

-----------
Everyone here with experience on Huracan already mentioned most of these.

These are our observations in our quest for Daily Driver. Your expectations might be different, you might be okay with its shortcomings, but in year 2017, we are not. We have emotional attachment to Corvettes, Lambos and 56 Bel Air Convertibles. But at the end, nobody is paying us to be fanatics of their company. So we tell it as it feels.

We also believe that the more stuff you own in your life, the more stuff you have to deal with. We like simplicity. Get the best you can for the job at hand. More cars are more work. More insurance, more registration, more taxes. More running after. Different cars in different countries, you soon find yourself spending your life trying to keep your possessions in order. That is why we do not want 2nd car where this one will be.

Believe us, we have made every effort to choose a Lambo. My husband was even considering $700K SV Roadster (read-to-drive in showroom). But we are left utterly disappointed. We appreciate our C7 so much more after driving Huracan and are looking forward to our Admiral Blue Z06 Convertible.

Again, we thank everyone for all the help and advice provided here. You are helping us since our C6 (can't find our old username). Hope this post helps someone in future.

M
The following 3 users liked this post by MaryAnnB:
Al3x_666 (04-21-2017), SoCalC7 (04-20-2017), Telepierre (03-28-2020)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Good choice. The Vette won't get parking lot door dings like the Lambo.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM
FitFam
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You will be happy going with a Z06, I would recommend, GT seats, no Z07 package and 3LZ interior package. These cars are amazing, I cruise with alot of Lambos and the Z gets the respect everywhere, even from the dealers. I have done some long cruises, you have space for luggage, its comfortable, has all the creature comforts, love the Tech in the car with Car Play, NAV, cup holders and so on. I love that the car is be so docile, beautiful ride, quiet while getting 10L/100KM...but switch from tour to track or sport and its an animal! There is so much tech in this car its crazy. I love the Lambos, respect them and know many that have them. Order it like you want it, the wait will be worth it. PS The Z will garner a ton of attention in Europe, its low and fat, people here don't know what it is...Love it! PSS my Z with a friends Huracan LP610-4
The following 2 users liked this post by FitFam:
Al3x_666 (04-21-2017), Bulldogmike007 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Originally Posted by Bulldogmike007
My toys
Great cars, very well tended house mike!

Agreed coladin, FitFam.
The following users liked this post:
Bulldogmike007 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:22 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Ive read this entire thread and it seems money is no object. If that is the case I say get both. And alternate odd days for one and even for the other. Although in Europe "space " is at a premium. So that may not be practable

Clif
Old 04-15-2017, 03:53 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

2:55 An example of height issue. How he has to slouch to be able to fit in. He is 6' he says. It is he same at 5'10.

Last edited by MaryAnnB; 04-15-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 PM
MaryAnnB
Racer

We have checked Huracan Coupe out today and oddly enough, my husband is fitting fine there. It has more legroom and height than the Convertible. Anyway, story is over, peacing out now!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:59 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I drove only the coupes...and @ 6'2"...I fit, albeit tight, but I fit. It was no worse than my Ford GT. Z06 has more headroom for sure, but not much.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:19 PM
coladin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
I drove only the coupes...and @ 6'2"...I fit, albeit tight, but I fit. It was no worse than my Ford GT. Z06 has more headroom for sure, but not much.

Oooh, love the Ford GT. What do you think of the new one?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 AM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

I appreciate the time you took on this summary. Helpful.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 AM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

The Euro is .93 to the dollar. Hard to believe there is not much difference in price between the two. Curious, in what country do you reside?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 AM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

buy both if money is no object, then sell the one you don't like
will lose a little money but that's not a problem you say
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Impressive review!

-Josh
Old 04-21-2017, 02:58 AM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCalC7
I appreciate the time you took on this summary. Helpful.
Originally Posted by MerakiAutoworks
Impressive review! -Josh
Thanks SoCal and Josh!

Originally Posted by Florida2000
The Euro is .93 to the dollar. Hard to believe there is not much difference in price between the two. Curious, in what country do you reside?
When we bought the C6, it was 0.62. When we bought C7, it was 0.73. The percentage differences are staggering now. It makes less sense to buy American and more sense to buy European with present rates. American products became 50% more expensive from C6 times, and 30% more expensive from C7 times. Even though car manufacturers do price-fixing per geolocation, changes are still huge. Country does not matter, we live in different places.

Originally Posted by rattt g
buy both if money is no object, then sell the one you don't like
will lose a little money but that's not a problem you say
If you read little bit further down, all these conversations became moot. We rented Huracan for a week and had to terminate lease early in a day. My husband doesn't fit in it. I did the review to contribute the forum a bit in case someone is in the same boat with us in future (and can fit in the convertible).

When I said "money is no objection", I did not mean we are clueless idiots. We work for that money. You move the car outta showroom, you lose 20% in the first mile. We can rent the car 70 days with that.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

I own both. No question the Z06 is the best for a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Huracan or Z06 as daily driver?