C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is 1LZ enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 AM
demasterz
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Is 1LZ enough?

Hey guys,
I almost had a brand new 2017 Z06 2LZ in my hand but unfortunately the dealer already sold the car.
Now i am reconsidering what to do since i don't find anything i want in my budget with 2LZ.
However, I got a pretty good option on a new 2017 1LZ and I was wondering if is it enough? will I feel that I should go for higher trim?
The cameras are important to me but i might be good without them, the seat trim is also ok to me although i really really like KALAHARI.

Would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks and a happy new year
Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 AM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Let me just tell you this... I have a 17' Z06 (Z07) 3lz and I have been in a 1lz and its not that bad. I would go to a dealership and check the 1lz trim out. Your missing out on some stuff, but it a 650 hp monster, the last thing you will be thinking about when driving around will be the interior.The interior isn't bad on the 1lz, way better than previous corvettes. For the 3lz I paid more and didn't get a lot over the 2lz trim and the 1lz trim is the bar minimum but its still nice. This is completely up to you and I would recommend that you go check the trim out. Don't buy the car and end up regretting not getting the other trim. The PDR is cool, but only useful if you plan on tracking and the front curb cameras in my opinion are really cool and really help when parking. Without them you just have to be really careful and make sure you don't curb the front splitter or the front of the car. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

As someone who has bought a 'base' Corvette in the past my advice is to save up a bigger down payment and buy what you want or like.

Kalahari is nice with the right colored body and imho absolutely hideous with certain color combos.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:48 AM
demasterz
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
As someone who has bought a 'base' Corvette in the past my advice is to save up a bigger down payment and buy what you want or like.

Kalahari is nice with the right colored body and imho absolutely hideous with certain color combos.
hey Jim, can you explain a little bit more why would you choose higher trim than the 1LZ?
Just to mention, this is going to be my first Vette
Old 01-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I just took delivery of my 2017 1LZ. Couldn't be happier with the car. I've been driving many years without cameras and haven't hit a curb yet. I'm the only driver so memory seats would be a waste. How hard is it to adjust the seat anyway. My interior is very nice. The stitching looks really good. Can't imagine why anyone would need nicer. And for what the extra costs to me it's not worth it. I could even do with less and be happy. But I'm from the old school where just having ac, automatic, power steering and power brakes was considered loaded!
The following users liked this post:
427bob (05-13-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Heads up Display is really the deal breaker for me and it is included on the 1LZ. I can live without heated and ventilated seats or a subwoofer but the HUD is something I appreciate every time I drive.

Go for it!

Good luck, Chris

Last edited by silver74vette; 01-01-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:05 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Is the HUD not included in 1LZ?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

My buddy bought a 2015 c7 z51 1LT and he easily installed the front camera for not a lot of money.

I have 104k on my 1lt c6 z51 with 104k miles..I had the hud installed and since the HUD standard on the 1lz z06 ...I wouldn't sweat the 1LZ.....unless you want the adjustable seats...

If I were shopping a new c7 z06 and it came in the color I wanted...and the price was right...no question I'd buy the 1Lz...

Check out eBay for new corvette z06 s for sale...find both new 1lz and 2lz cars...throw out your offered price as long as it's the exact color combo you want and see who bites...

I'm sure you can get the 2LZ you wanted to buy originally at the price you felt good about..

GM has 177 day supply of corvettes out there....I'm sure someone has the car of your dreams...

Just make the deal..fly out and drive it home...best vacation of your life and a memory you will forever enjoy. That ride home is a hell of an adventure.

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-01-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:14 AM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Is the HUD not included in 1LZ?
Yea the 1LZ has the HUD.
I am very happy with my 1LZ, I am never happy with a big purchase if I don't get a good deal, and for me a new '16 Z06 A8 1Lz for $69,000 was a great deal. And I am super happy with the purchase.

BTW, I will I'll be adding the black stripe on the hood and top, and having the wheels powder coated black to make it exactly what I wanted.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Dfwz06
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

If you're going to keep it a few years, get 2 or 3lz. If you'll sell within 2 years, get 1lz. You'll lose less money with the 1lz
Old 01-01-2017, 09:35 AM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

My 16 was a 1lz and my 17 is too. I myself did not find the extra options worth the money, some may. I trade every year or so and the 1lz works well for the money end on trade. The extra options are nice but I am the only driver so seats are no big deal and I have driven vettes for years and cameras were not even a thought. I also prefer the all black dash trim vs two tone and with red seats you get the contrasting stitch. Buy what you like for sure as you are the one paying for it but all trims drive the same( ex z07) which is what matters.

Last edited by fasthwks; 01-01-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfwz06
If you're going to keep it a few years, get 2 or 3lz. If you'll sell within 2 years, get 1lz. You'll lose less money with the 1lz
I'm spoiled. Long trips ventilated seats. Little chilly? Turn the heat on.

​​​​​​Lumbar absolutely

auto dimming mirrors thank god

subwoofer? Wouldn't kill me but nice to know it's there when you want to crank it up (just like having 650hp!)

home link? Can be added for couple hundred bucks to a 1LZ non factor imo but one I love having and would have to add to a 1LZ

front cameras? Someone said added cheaply? Ok but between that and the homelike you're at another 700 doing it yourself and having to pull the front bumper off.. Enjoy that.

PDR. Is awesome. Once you start using it. You'll appreciate it. You could do without it. But go on a cruise somewhere and you'll miss it there as well as anyone who tracks it. Maybe I'm just too into hi tech coming from my 08 which felt like atari 2600 lol. In that car HUD and the nav were better off not existing. It took away from the rest of the interior which wasn't bad. This car has none of that. It all "matches" up nicely.

interior looks similar but the 2 and 3LZ seats have that Z06 embroidered in head rest area. It's just nicer. And nobody can convince me that gm wouldn't sell twice as many 1LZ's if they put Lumbar in the 1LZ seats. Stupidest thing ever. Not even a manual crank or something?

the upper trim in suede is something I really enjoy looking at in ny 3LZ trim. Removes much of the bargain cheapness of past vettes.

your money. But for me, this is a no comprimise car. Get what you want. Once you have it you will regret not getting exactly what you wanted.

I originally wanted a tribute color scheme GS (admiral blue red hash white stripe) but the Z06 was cheaper unbelievably. I couldn't pass it up. But if I changed out to that car tomorrow I wouldn't be hurt.

so if you're getting a new C7 don't settle for less. If anything do what I did and get the BETTER higher optioned car for less if deal is out there.

in my opinion you're going other way and in end you'd be missing what u originally wanted and not have "something better" to show for it.

good luck hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 01-01-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

It is a personal decision and if you have to ask and you appear to want the higher trim level that includes other items as well it should answer your question for you. The HUD is nice the PDR is ultra nice. Averaged over how long you keep the car the price difference diminishes.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 500 Posts

2 must have items for me were adjustable lumbar support and pdr. 1lz doesn't have lumbar support.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 AM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Funny all of these "must have" features. I have a 2LT, HUD and PDR.

HUD I never use it I find it distracting and turn it off. Personally I find it to be more of a gimmick.

Heated seats in the C7 are a JOKE....check the many threads on this. The cooling function works well on them. So personally thats a wash in $$

PDR again nice to have only if you tracking it, but if not; you are not really getting much out of it for the $$.

Bose system is crap if you are a casual listener you may not notice or you may actually like it but I wouldn't spend extra to have it.

Homelink is nice but nothing keeping a spare garage door opener in your car wouldn't solve.

I LOVE my vet so don't take my comments as bashing I just find the over payment of these settings a waste in relation to cost and actual execution on the car. I could have easily got a 1Lz and been just as happy, I'm not caught all up in the tech / creature comforts of the car. IMO sit in both at the dealer and go from there.

Last edited by nyciti; 01-01-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

My 1LZ has HUD and PDR. I have to use a back pillow so the lumbar would be worthless for me. Definitely don't need heated or cooled seats.

Would have been nice to come with a memory card so the PDR would work without having to go buy one. $1795 for an option and have to go buy a $20 card for it to work. Ridiculous!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:39 AM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
I could even do with less and be happy. But I'm from the old school where just having ac, automatic, power steering and power brakes was considered loaded!
And power windows! but I'm with you here....don't need all the "extra"

Get notified of new replies

To Is 1LZ enough?

Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Think about what is better for resale not what you necessarily use. Must haves for a performance car are the HUD, Comp Seats and PDR. That will give you a larger pool of prospective buyers 4 years from now when you are trying to sell the car. That is when a lot of track dogs that are running previous models will start looking at this Z. They aren't a large group of purchasers but why take your car off their radar by not getting the must haves.

Bill
Old 01-01-2017, 11:47 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

i just dont get WHY gm isn't putting a Lumbar in the base... even a 13k nissan has it. the rest are all creature comforts you "could" live without.

but why if you don't have to? why have a 75" TV when a 27"would suffice? because WE CAN... lol

Think about what is better for resale not what you necessarily use. Must haves for a performance car are the HUD, Comp Seats and PDR. That will give you a larger pool of prospective buyers 4 years from now when you are trying to sell the car. That is when a lot of track dogs that are running previous models will start looking at this Z. They aren't a large group of purchasers but why take your car off their radar by not getting the must haves.

Bill
Bill, i'll take your thoughts and expand.. the same goes for the guy that doesn't want a track beat Z06, but instead wants a cruiser with the comforts of a grand touring car.. but your point is a valid one and I think a case could be made for the 1LZ the same way.. someone wanting a purist Z06 as basic as it gets... so in the end a case can be made for all of those...

life is too short to put aside the "wants" vs "needs"if you're in this market. you've either saved for a long time, have money to burn or are rewarding yourself for a life of hard work.. why settle? who NEEDS a Z06?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 01-01-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:17 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I would only get a minimum of a 2LZ or a 3LZ if they discounted it to the price of a 2LZ. I have had the 2015 1LT in the Stingray, 1 2015 3LZ Z06 convertible, 1 2015 Z06 2LZ coupe, and now a 2017 2LZ coupe. Here are my impressions.

The side bolsters of the seat on the 1LZ does not adjust. I like that feature on the 2 and 3. The seat on the 1LZ felt like it was poking me in the back and was not as comfortable as the 2 and 3. I am only speaking about non-competition seats. The 3 LZ definitly smelt better and had higher quality leather. No way would I ever buy a 1LZ seat.

With a colored interior such as the red, the red trim above the drivers dash looks cheap and plasticy compared to the 3LZ. This was just my observation and others might not notice. There are actually 2 different part numbers for that piece and if I would have kept my 15 with red interior, I would have swapped out that trim. It bugged me every time I got in the car after having the red 3LZ interior in the convertible. With black interior, I do not notice it.

I like the seat memory function. I have one setup for daily driving, and one for track.

I LOVE the curb view front cameras! You'll kick yourself if you do not get them.

PDR is a great feature on these cars and makes no sense to get one without. You are already spending this kind of money, find one that has it. You would be missing out on a cool feature that even the expensive exotics wish they had. I have turned on my PDR tons of times NOT on the track. I would see something interesting and hit record just driving down the road. It is a must have in my opinion.

Last edited by h3mpking; 01-01-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Is 1LZ enough?