C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Picking up new Z06 tomorrow - questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,465 Likes on 789 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Picking up new Z06 tomorrow - questions

I'm flying to Kerbeck tomorrow to pick up my 2017 Z06. I'm driving it back to FL. Will there be any harm surpassing the 500 oil change requirement? It's an 1100 mile trip and my plan was to get it to my local dealer first thing Monday morning. Also, I was told that there is an RPM restriction until 1400 miles. Is this restriction something the car will know to drop at 1400 miles or does it require human (dealer) input?

I leave at zero dark hundred tomorrow morning and arrive in Philly at 1100. Kerbeck will have a driver to meet me and take me to the dealership. Dave said Atlantic City airport was a PITA and I believe him. He suggested Philly. I leave from a regional airport so trying to get into AC was indeed a PITA.

I know the pic rules so here's one that I have that Sam Kelley at Kerbeck sent me. The car is a 2LZ coupe with auto trans, PDR, and spectra grey wheels. Watkins Glen Grey/black interior.

I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight. Thanks to any and all for answers to my questions.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tally Ho; 10-20-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

If it were me I would find a dealer about 500 miles south and stop to get it done there. You need to take a break anyhow and my initial 540 miles was hiway driving to I ended up taking some back roads to stay off of I5 and droning along in 6th gear. Most dealers will do it in less than 90 minutes and you need to eat and sleep anyhow. Take some time to have a fun weekend and find a dealer with a service dept open on Saturday morning around Raleigh/Durham or Fayetteville.

I do expect Kerbeck will have a good answer to your question also. My worry would be that you might run into a warranty question if you waited until 1100 miles and they should have that answer.

Last edited by pkincy; 10-20-2016 at 05:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
bills02 (10-20-2016), Tally Ho (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:54 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure the car will be just fine and you can get the oil change at home from a dealer you know and trust.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:01 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Most guys who make that trip do stop at dealer on the way. Guys like Mike Furman and other dealers that care are trustworthy. RPM restriction light on tach goes away on it's own. No real harm if you can make it all the way home to Eglin to change it. You can ask Kerbeck, but from my personal experience, you won't get any useful answers. Safe trip!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:02 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Congrats!
  • For sure find a dealer on the way and do the 500 miles oil changes. GM issued a bulletin enforcing the 500 miles oil change (at no charge) after few motors blew up due to break in metal debris. Don't take a chance with warranty.
  • Make sure that the dealer you go to knows that they need to drain oil completely from two places, oil pan and dry sump.
  • The lower redline rpm limit is only for the first 500 miles.
  • I highly recommend that you ask Kerbeck to check differential fluid level. Some differentials come low on fluid from the factory. My differential at 1,400 miles developed a whining noise. Fluid level was low. It was replaced under warranty.
  • Its better to run the first 20 miles. Let the car cool down, do it again couple of more times to help break in the differential. This is just a personal recommendation.
  • Don't hold steady rpm on the freeway. Get on the gas then let go. Vary the rpms up and down to break in the engine properly. Its annoying and not fuel efficient but its the proper way to break in an engine.
Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Tally Ho (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:03 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,198 Likes on 544 Posts

Congrats. Bought my first vette from Sam. Excellent dealer and salesman.
Tally Ho (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 PM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats Tally! I bought a part from you for my 82.
I would definitely find a Chevy place after you hit 500, they should be some close I95.
I have a new 16 also 2LZ yellow with 643 miles.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats Tally Ho! The older I get, the more I enjoy long drives. About the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:27 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,603 Posts

As mentioned, I would find a reputable dealership around the 500 mile mark and have them service your Z.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:00 PM
-Eric-
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I'm flying to Kerbeck tomorrow to pick up my 2017 Z06. I'm driving it back to FL. Will there be any harm surpassing the 500 oil change requirement? It's an 1100 mile trip and my plan was to get it to my local dealer first thing Monday morning. Also, I was told that there is an RPM restriction until 1400 miles. Is this restriction something the car will know to drop at 1400 miles or does it require human (dealer) input?

I leave at zero dark hundred tomorrow morning and arrive in Philly at 1100. Kerbeck will have a driver to meet me and take me to the dealership. Dave said Atlantic City airport was a PITA and I believe him. He suggested Philly. I leave from a regional airport so trying to get into AC was indeed a PITA.

I know the pic rules so here's one that I have that Sam Kelley at Kerbeck sent me. The car is a 2LZ coupe with auto trans, PDR, and spectra grey wheels. Watkins Glen Grey/black interior.

I doubt I'll get much sleep tonight. Thanks to any and all for answers to my questions.

Learn from my mistake and test drive before signing. These cars occasionally come straight from GM with problems. I know dealers like to keep the miles off of their cars because Corvette buyers want 0 miles on their new car. But you HAVE TO CHECK THE CAR OUT. I would have saved myself considerable trouble if I didn't fall for the no test drives policy crap.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Take some electrical tape duct tape whatever you have and wrap the brake ducts. I see you have skirts but I'm not sure those new designs work too well. In fact I would tape the rear fenders above the brake ducts too.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:26 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

OP, idk what kind of car guy you are. Me? I would have the front end xpel wrapped and the windshield clearplex'd, mud guards on front before doing that trip or you're going to return and first waxing be disgusted. these tires stick WAYYY out and even with those new skirts it isn't going to stop them all (cheap long mud guards do and are almost invisible) and the nose, headlights, windshield ARE going to take a beating.

but if you're ok with a little wear and tear on a 0 mile car then ff to this.

The early break in and meshing of ALL mechanical parts is critical to long term durability and reliability. Fact....

Take a break every hour on way down to the auto train. put the car on that and relax. Get to florida, get it home and get the oil changed.

if you can't? send it home enclosed trailer.

whatever you do, i hope you enjoy it in good health and don't let the instant gratification of purchase cloud your long term judgement (think 6mos from now with all the nicks and chips, etc in the front end hood, fenders, mirrors etc)

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-20-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 AM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 368 Likes on 202 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

You didn't seem ready for a C7 when we talked a few weeks ago.

Congrats. You're going to love it.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
If it were me I would find a dealer about 500 miles south and stop to get it done there. You need to take a break anyhow and my initial 540 miles was hiway driving to I ended up taking some back roads to stay off of I5 and droning along in 6th gear. Most dealers will do it in less than 90 minutes and you need to eat and sleep anyhow. Take some time to have a fun weekend and find a dealer with a service dept open on Saturday morning around Raleigh/Durham or Fayetteville.

I do expect Kerbeck will have a good answer to your question also. My worry would be that you might run into a warranty question if you waited until 1100 miles and they should have that answer.
Originally Posted by 99HRDTP
Most guys who make that trip do stop at dealer on the way. Guys like Mike Furman and other dealers that care are trustworthy. RPM restriction light on tach goes away on it's own. No real harm if you can make it all the way home to Eglin to change it. You can ask Kerbeck, but from my personal experience, you won't get any useful answers. Safe trip!
Originally Posted by 5thGear
Congrats!
  • For sure find a dealer on the way and do the 500 miles oil changes. GM issued a bulletin enforcing the 500 miles oil change (at no charge) after few motors blew up due to break in metal debris. Don't take a chance with warranty.
  • Make sure that the dealer you go to knows that they need to drain oil completely from two places, oil pan and dry sump.
  • I highly recommend that you ask Kerbeck to check differential fluid level. Some differentials come low on fluid from the factory. My differential at 1,400 miles developed a whining noise. Fluid level was low. It was replaced under warranty.
  • Its better to run the first 20 miles. Let the car cool down, do it again couple of more times to help break in the differential. This is just a personal recommendation.
  • Don't hold steady rpm on the freeway. Get on the gas then let go. Vary the rpms up and down to break in the engine properly. Its annoying and not fuel efficient but its the proper way to break in an engine.
Good luck
Originally Posted by RicemanZ06
Congrats Tally! I bought a part from you for my 82.
I would definitely find a Chevy place after you hit 500, they should be some close I95.
I have a new 16 also 2LZ yellow with 643 miles.
Originally Posted by sTz
As mentioned, I would find a reputable dealership around the 500 mile mark and have them service your Z.

and CONGRATS
Old 10-21-2016, 07:25 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Stop at Hendrick Chevrolet in Cary, North Carolina.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,465 Likes on 789 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I've done the break in procedure for two C6's from the NCM to home. My primary concern was the 500 mile oil change. I'll look for a dealer tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM
mikede824
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
St: Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Congrats!
Good luck
and I drove it home from Bowling Green made appointment at a dealer in WV at the 500 mile mark, call dealers around the 500 mile mark and make sure they have a "certified corvette technician"
Congrats and enjoy

Get notified of new replies

To Picking up new Z06 tomorrow - questions

Old 10-21-2016, 10:35 AM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 156 Posts

I am sure not an engine/oil expert, but I would find a deqaler and stop at around 500 miles and get it changed. Maybe the selling dealer can help you on that.
Why take a chance on something like that?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:12 AM
homepukes
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats, you are getting a great looking Corvette!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. I know I'm the contrarian here, but you have to ask yourself WHY they have a 500 mile oil change.

You don't need to speculate, as the GM Bulletin of 11/24/2015 when they ADDED this new oil change explains it. Your worst case is oil foaming which can lead to "oil leaking out from the air cleaner assembly ... The oil foam has no effect on the engine's durability" [emphasis added].

So, my speculation is that the dry sump pump system, plus silicons in the original breakin lubes, etc, all contribute to deplete the anti-foaming additives of the original oil fill, so they want you to swap it out at 500 miles to prevent a LEAK, not ENGINE WEAR.

Is it a bad idea? Nope. Will it hurt anything? Nope. Is it needed within DAYS of delivery? I don't think so.

Dave

Last edited by davepl; 10-21-2016 at 08:12 PM.
JerriVette (10-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Picking up new Z06 tomorrow - questions