C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Stage 1 Z06 vs GS Z07

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

FWIW I think the C6 Z06 was only 3 seconds behind the C6 ZR1 at the ring when Jim Mero drove them both on the same day? I could be wrong but that's my understanding.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
While I agree, supercharging in this application is link a heat pump on top of the engine.
Blowers don't make (much) heat - compressing air does. And the air compressed in the blower would have been compressed in the cylinder of a naturally aspirated motor anyway, so it's almost a free lunch.

The supercharger pre-compresses the air so that compression that would otherwise take place in the cylinder's chamber doesn't have to happen. There's no "extra" compression. No "extra" heat. It's just splitting the compression into two stages - the first roughly 2:1 and the second 10:1 or so.

The only additional heat are friction and adiabatic inefficiency of the air compression in the blower relative to what it would be in the cylinder's chamber.

And as I said, because an intercooler has the opportunity (not realized on the LT4) to dump some of that precompression heat outside the confines of the engine and it's coolant, you can make a supercharged engine run cooler than a naturally aspirated engine of the same power. They didn't go that way on the Corvette though.

Last edited by davepl; 09-19-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
It is not, but why does that matter if they are readily available and the same size. I see you want to compare from the factory but the real world is you would get track tires if that was your focus.
Because that's the way they get tested, once you open up to tire swaps that changes things like times on the fast list have categories. Though running an older production car with new rubber would be a good comparison of how much vehicles actually improve and not just tire technology. The GS time really impressed me with the fact it was down 190hp over the c7z and that it hung with the gt3rs on the same tires defies my understanding of physics being it is inferior in aero, weight and transmission. Many think (not talking about you) just because they have more power that they must have a faster car as proven by some of the responses in this thread, but the chassis or tires may not make that possible. The focus RS with 50% less hp and only 25% less weight running the same time as the charger hellcat is a good example of this even though the latter is ~2 sec/20mph faster in a 1/4 drag race. Do you think the carbon ceramic brakes are worth anything on track or is it the better rubber that improves the braking distance? I definitely think the comp seats help as you can focus more on steering wheel inputs if held in place better. Almost seems fair then to allow a pad swap or seat change if planning on road racing, can snowball quicker than lap times drop so have to draw the line somewhere
Old 09-19-2016, 09:08 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
The GS time really impressed me with the fact it was down 190hp over the c7z and that it hung with the gt3rs on the same tires defies my understanding of physics being it is inferior in aero, weight and transmission.
Obviously, it is NOT inferior.
IMO, the difference is the chassis tech (if the tires are the same).

A lot of folks underestimate what Corvette Engineering has done with the last few gens.
A modern Corvette ain't just a looking-good-on-a-Saturday-night cruising machine...it's a REAL performance Sportscar.

Look at the accomplishments of Corvette Racing during the last 20 years.
NO ONE comes close to what they have achieved.

Many think (not talking about you) just because they have more power that they must have a faster car as proven by some of the responses in this thread, but the chassis or tires may not make that possible.
Which isn't the case with the C7.

Do you think the carbon ceramic brakes are worth anything on track or is it the better rubber that improves the braking distance?
It's both, of course.
CCB is race-proven.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM
cleahy100@gmail.com
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harassed
This ^.........and I'm not worried about overheating my garage queen 3LZ ZO6 that cost me less than the priced hiked C7GS.
Last night while out for a cruise in my Z/06/07 i was quickly harrassed by a Ferrari Champion and his Buddy in a R/8. up in the hills on the North Shore of Long Island. I had just got done watching the replay of the IMSA racing and I was ready to go. Left them both in the dust on a twisting winding road and after I pulled over and let them catch up. I let them take the lead. Other than a few pebbles I had nothing to be worried about. I ate them up, right up there asses. Still getting rid of the SC 2 and going for the SS. They complemented me and invited me to join their elite supercar group.....I don't think so !! Fun Fun !! Could not do that with a GS PERIOD.....
Old 09-19-2016, 09:29 PM
cleahy100@gmail.com
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cleahy100@gmail.com
Last night while out for a cruise in my Z/06/07 i was quickly harrassed by a Ferrari Champion and his Buddy in a R/8. up in the hills on the North Shore of Long Island. I had just got done watching the replay of the IMSA racing and I was ready to go. Left them both in the dust on a twisting winding road and after I pulled over and let them catch up. I let them take the lead. Other than a few pebbles I had nothing to be worried about. I ate them up, right up there asses. Still getting rid of the SC 2 and going for the SS. They complemented me and invited me to join their elite supercar group.....I don't think so !! Fun Fun !! Could not do that with a GS PERIOD.....
PS After 15 minutes of driving in 80 degree heat and humidity, 230 on the oil and 226 on the car, learn to drive in the proper gear cuts way down on overheating. NO ISSUES !!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Heres my take--- Driver, Driver , Driver.....I had a Z51 and I lapped 2 Z06 cars on Texas World Speedway, Now their cars were faster on the front straight, but on the actual road course I was all over them and passing them. Do I think the car was faster, hell no, but the driver was. I opted for the GS because I wanted a NA car, pure and simple. Nothing against FI as I have had it before too. The car is only as good as its driver. Just wait until one of you get bested by a prepped 4 cyl Miata...
The following users liked this post:
AZGASSER (10-04-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 09:54 PM
cleahy100@gmail.com
Heel & Toe

No I get it, learn how to drive your car and that was really what the original reply was about. And maybe if its not about the car or the Horse's than why didn't you buy a Miata, I think it might fit your style better. It always amazes me when someone knocks someone else's car their is usually another reason for it. It was refreshing to run away from a 600 HP Ferrari and a 580 Hp Audi all wheel drive. The only thing that is missing was not having the Data recorder on to show you. I don't know how much track time the other Z drivers had but if you ever want to meet up a Spring Mountain, once they put a few GS on the track and they will. I will gladly attend one of their classes and let the Lap times speak for themselves. Class level three your in front and on your own. Ps if HP doesn't matter you would never want to go with the Callaway !! I am seriously thinking of letting them bolt on 107HP and 117FPT Additional. GM approves and accepts their warranty. You might want to send that Miata, I meant your GS out there !!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Was that meant towards me? - WOW.. I am a decent driver and there are plenty faster, learn to drive what you like, I have a Miata for autocross, its fun sized and a lot of fun for the money, I love my new GS and I am sure it will take more than I could ever throw at it. not sure why all the hate, drive what you want, I could have bought a Z06 1LZ for less than the GS, but that was not what I wanted. They make all types of models for different folks.
The following 2 users liked this post by sycraft:
cleahy100@gmail.com (09-19-2016), VictorBarron (09-23-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:51 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

PS After 15 minutes of driving in 80 degree heat and humidity, 230 on the oil and 226 on the car, learn to drive in the proper gear cuts way down on overheating. NO ISSUES !!
No offense, but I have a hard time believing you were pushing the car as hard on the street as you would/could on the track.

Originally Posted by sycraft
Heres my take--- Driver, Driver , Driver.....I had a Z51 and I lapped 2 Z06 cars on Texas World Speedway, Now their cars were faster on the front straight, but on the actual road course I was all over them and passing them. Do I think the car was faster, hell no, but the driver was. I opted for the GS because I wanted a NA car, pure and simple. Nothing against FI as I have had it before too. The car is only as good as its driver. Just wait until one of you get bested by a prepped 4 cyl Miata...
I've seen that happen at the track many of times, but my comparison was with all else equal and not taking into the account the driver as a variable. It's interesting to note they tested a new Miata cup car in this years lightning lap and it was 19 seconds slower than the GS, which means you could drive it 1/10 slower than they did and still beat the Miata's time. Another thing that should be mentioned is it is easier to drive a car with less power fast and overdrive a more powerful car to a slower time. It reminds me of the guy with rx8 who is flat out on auto cross course and the vette who never goes WOT laying down a similar time yet the latter actually had a challenge at trying to put his power to the ground.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 09-19-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:55 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 977 Likes on 533 Posts

That's funny because in the LL test the Grand Sport bested both a 458 and an R8 V10 and a number of other supercars. Oh on a track not on the street.

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 09-19-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:41 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
That's funny because in the LL test the Grand Sport bested both a 458 and an R8 V10 and a number of other supercars. Oh on a track not on the street.
In fairness the Ferrari's time was pre-repave, even though I'd take a 458 over a GS regardless if it's a little slower and money wasn't a factor.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

I'd take a 458 over a GS regardless if it's a little slower and money wasn't a factor.
Having driven a 458 on a track, I concur.
Only car I have ever driven that left me out of breath and cursing the day I decided to marry and give someone else access to my bank account.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:39 AM
cleahy100@gmail.com
Heel & Toe

Default overheating

No offense, but I have a hard time believing you were pushing the car as hard on the street as you would/could on the track.

I've seen that happen at the track many of times, but my comparison was with all else equal and not taking into the account the driver as a variable. It's interesting to note they tested a new Miata cup car in this years lightning lap and it was 19 seconds slower than the GS, which means you could drive it 1/10 slower than they did and still beat the Miata's time. Another thing that should be mentioned is it is easier to drive a car with less power fast and overdrive a more powerful car to a slower time. It reminds me of the guy with rx8 who is flat out on auto cross course and the vette who never goes WOT laying down a similar time yet the latter actually had a challenge at trying to put his power to the ground.
Just not having overheating problems, nor did I out in the dessert in 100 degree heat, you can overheat it easily with overrev's and Hi RPM prior to shifting. But if you pay attention you can keep it down, I keep the gauges set on the Touring mode while in Track or Sport for more accurate gauge monitoring. Half and hour of extreme spirited driving on the street and 238 engine and 230 on the oil temps, hitting speeds of 140-150 and back down hard to 20mph and back up. all good so far maybe I am lucky. Just can't take a guy who wants to knock what is undoubtably one of the best production race cars/ street legal. Not to sound like a dick but, having had F430, 911 twin turbo and now this car I feel the ZET06/07 hits it out of the park and what a bang for the dollar. My X partner just bought a 911 S twin turbo and he drove my car and was blown away. he has owned and driven many Hi end cars and he could not believe the response and speed ! No Miata's for me !! done with imports !!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Having driven a 458 on a track, I concur.
Only car I have ever driven that left me out of breath and cursing the day I decided to marry and give someone else access to my bank account.
Lol I can only imagine, but have given thrill rides in a F430 on track. The 599 had more straight line speed of course and the Lamborghini 550-2 was numb compared to the finesse of the Ferrari. I'd take my buddies 991 GT3 over a GS as well, but still impressed by its on track performance in this years lightning lap.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 09-20-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:29 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder why people who have zero track experience always chime in to give their opinions about tracking cars, and lap times. I can appreciate the comments from those who actually have tracked, and it is obvious who has not.

Equal driving, the Z06 base should still beat the Z07 Grand Sport. If the prices are similar due to the discounted Z06's, it makes no sense to buy the Grand Sport. Once the GS becomes discounted in a year, it makes a much better case though.
The following 3 users liked this post by NineBall:
3 Z06ZR1 (09-20-2016), FSTFRC (09-20-2016), OnPoint (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:49 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

I'd take my buddies 991 GT3 over a GS as well, but still impressed by its on track performance in this years lightning lap.
No question about it...the GS scored above its pay grade.

Get notified of new replies

To Stage 1 Z06 vs GS Z07

Old 09-20-2016, 01:49 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by NineBall
I wonder why people who have zero track experience always chime in to give their opinions about tracking cars, and lap times. I can appreciate the comments from those who actually have tracked, and it is obvious who has not.

Equal driving, the Z06 base should still beat the Z07 Grand Sport. If the prices are similar due to the discounted Z06's, it makes no sense to buy the Grand Sport. Once the GS becomes discounted in a year, it makes a much better case though.
Think it's going to depend on the track based on the data I've seen, though I'd settle for a comparison of a base GS vs base c7z to see if the delta is the same as z07 vs z07 model. Tests usually are done with the top of the line models though. As previously mentioned I totaled up a GS the way I wanted with comp seats, PDR and z07 (66+2+2+8=78) making it the same price as a base c7z and what caused me to start this thread. Seen a few discounts on GS up to $11k already which makes it a fair comparison in my opinion already. Tony on another note with you being more in the know with vipers and a track guy, how much faster is the '16 acr than the '08 on average? It's hard to compare C&D LL times since it was pre and post repaving?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 09-20-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Think it's going to depend on the track based on the data I've seen, though I'd settle for a comparison of a base GS vs base c7z to see if the delta is the same as z07 vs z07 model. Tests usually are done with the top of the line models though. As previously mentioned I totaled up a GS the way I wanted with comp seats, PDR and z07 (66+2+2+8=78) making it the same price as a base c7z and what caused me to start this thread. Seen a few discounts on GS up to $11k already which makes it a fair comparison in my opinion already. Tony on another note with you being more in the know with vipers and a track guy, how much faster is the '16 acr than the '08 on average? It's hard to compare C&D LL times since it was pre and post repaving?
Agreed on track types. Most of the country has the typical shorter tracks with lower speed turns. Those don't really benefit the big aero Z07 or ACR cars, as the aero mostly helps on high mph sustained turns and transitions. No doubt that a track like COTA would see huge improvements from the aero equipped cars.

'08 ACR is about the same as a newer TA1.0 in terms of track results. Newer ACR is a couple seconds quicker. The Gen 5 finally has the nannies and electronics to assist with the mechanical grip, where the Gen 4 did not have any. It is absolutely amazing how soon the new ACR can get on the throttle around apex of a turn. Much sooner than my TA can.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:48 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

As for the drag of the Stage 3 Aero a Z06 really doesn't go any faster on long straights than a C6 Z with 145 less HP.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Apple to orange comparison given the large weight difference.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Z06 vs GS Z07