C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Another Z06 bites the dust.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:11 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

That really sucks. We've all been there maybe not crashing, but we have all gotten on it and almost lost control at one point I'm sure.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by cyi1
Why wouldn't you be covered? You're covered regardless. Either by getting a ticket for following too closely or rear ending someone or by drag racing and totalling your car. Your coverage is the same. Whether they drop you afterwards is another question.
This is 1000% accurate and the grossly negligent driver will definitely be covered up to the collision property damage policy limits of his insurance policy.

Azcanuk,

If your speeding 50 miles over the speed limit, or drag racing, those are also considered criminal acts, and if you total your car doing one of the above or what this goof ball was doing, you will DEFIINTLEY be covered.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 08-06-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
That really sucks. We've all been there maybe not crashing, but we have all gotten on it and almost lost control at one point I'm sure.

Yep at Woodburn dragway. I put my 2008 C6 sideways heading for the wall on strip. I had lost it go sideways hitting third gear and I wheeled it back around then was across the lane toward the other wall saved the car no crash.

Got call upstairs in the tower. Kinda pissy they were. they said they about **** their pants thinking I was gone. Then they ended up adding NICE DRIVING! to save it!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:44 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Lost my brakes at VIR on the back straight. If you've been there you already know what comes next. Still not sure how I didn't go off, but I did loop it 2 complete 360's. Tends to scrub a lot of speed, but I wouldn't recommend it. I think the difference for most of us would be our mistakes are on a track, empty street, only putting ourselves in danger. Given a new car, with new found power, etc......that would not be the street I decide to see how long of a smoky burnout I can do. Absolutely no room for safety.

Last edited by cvp33; 08-06-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:41 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I had lost it go sideways hitting third gear
I don't know why the 2-3 shift is a curse for Vettes, but it certainly seems to be.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
Lost my brakes at VIR on the back straight. If you've been there you already know what comes next. Still not sure how I didn't go off, but I did loop it 2 complete 360's. Tends to scrub a lot of speed, but I wouldn't recommend it. I think the difference for most of us would be our mistakes are on a track, empty street, only putting ourselves in danger. Given a new car, with new found power, etc......that would not be the street I decide to see how long of a smoky burnout I can do. Absolutely no room for safety.
You are correct about the 360, it is the best way to lose speed, no kiddin. While running the One Lap of America in my Cobra, we lost it in the M's at Memphis, amazingly did a 360, got pointed straight again and ended up 4th faster of the day out of 106 cars. Won our class and ended up fourth overall for the whole week long event. That was 1999 My Cobra beat all 6 Mallet's Corvettes, and Lingenfelter's too. Shocked all those boys with an old tech Cobra running pump gas and cruising over 6000 miles of highways going from track to track. Brock Yates had seeded us 87th out of 106 cars, before we ran the first race at MIS. After we finished second fastest at MIS, he moved us up to sixth for the event order of running. He was truly shocked.

BTW- a lot of these wrecks are aggravated by hand placement. Those cool guys with their hand at the top of the wheel and their other on the shifter, are asking for it. Too easy to make too much movement at that position, and that is just what you don't want when you car grabs a gear hard, and jumps. Think about it. and STOP that cool ****, NOW!!! it could save your life.
The following users liked this post:
cvp33 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by DLC7
Other thing is......his insurance will not cover it.....he is on the hook for at least $106,250
Not true. They've already paid.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Edwardz
Even with nannies on the Z06 has enough power to do this. If it was a little cool the tires get hard and break away quickly. Does anyone know what the temperature was there? It looks warmer than 45 but I wonder.
was 105
Old 08-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Greg MFn Z
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '14

I know this guy and can answer a lot of question you may have, some of them off the top of my head are,

Car was an Auto, I think he was at the top of second when it happened.

Tires were bald, he was excessively doing burnouts everywhere, because he had stickier tires ordered. I have him doing a burnout in front of my shop the day before. But I condoned it because I was the only one standing in the lot on a Fri afternoon and it was a private lot. Can post if anyone wants to see the car beforehand lol.

Yes, he's young, but typically runs with an older crowd. A few of us have sat down with him and he seems to genuinely be Sorry for what he did and could have done to someone else. It has humbled him. He's been in a slight slump since all this and says he's def learned his lesson. Was under the impression that something like this "only happens to the other guy'. Has a wife and a little boy at home and this opened his eyes.

Yes , the car is totaled. Claim was about 36K
Don't really know why they totaled it at such a low number but they did. Also, the motor is hit, I'm not sure if that was in the 36K estimate or not, but I do know the adjuster saw it. I'm sure he has the right to buy it back, if anyone has any interest in the car, I may be able to help. Also good friend with the Body Shop it is sitting at.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:15 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

He's out the mod money, that's all.

Last edited by cvp33; 08-06-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
You are correct about the 360, it is the best way to lose speed, no kiddin. While running the One Lap of America in my Cobra, we lost it in the M's at Memphis, amazingly did a 360, got pointed straight again and ended up 4th faster of the day out of 106 cars. Won our class and ended up fourth overall for the whole week long event. That was 1999 My Cobra beat all 6 Mallet's Corvettes, and Lingenfelter's too. Shocked all those boys with an old tech Cobra running pump gas and cruising over 6000 miles of highways going from track to track. Brock Yates had seeded us 87th out of 106 cars, before we ran the first race at MIS. After we finished second fastest at MIS, he moved us up to sixth for the event order of running. He was truly shocked.

BTW- a lot of these wrecks are aggravated by hand placement. Those cool guys with their hand at the top of the wheel and their other on the shifter, are asking for it. Too easy to make too much movement at that position, and that is just what you don't want when you car grabs a gear hard, and jumps. Think about it. and STOP that cool ****, NOW!!! it could save your life.
Totally agree. I'm far from a great driver, but I can hustle a car at 9/10ths. My car at the time was a 2012 CTS-V coupe on Continental road racing slicks. I was hitting 2:15's pretty consistently. Only warning I got was going through Oak Tree, pedal felt spongy but brakes still grabbed hard. That was my first and only warning. Boiled the fluid (stock like a dumbazz) and at the end of the back straight topping out at 150mph brakes went to the floor. I saw Jesus. We had a quick chat, he stated it was not my time. I pumped the brakes over and over again and got them to grab slightly. I was able to take the left jog but the right hander is nearly 90*. I just jerked the wheel hard to the right, spun twice and ended up headed the wrong way. Course workers were great and were waving the yellows HARD. Kept me from getting T-boned.

After that, SRF fluid always....ALWAYS.

Last edited by cvp33; 08-06-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Glad he's ok and genuinely sorry for putting people at risk.

What mode was he in?

I've seen a lot of posts about almost losing it going from 2nd to 3rd in several threads over the last couple years. Is it really bad in the A8? My mind is pretty set on the M7 but that A8's speed is hard to pass on.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:01 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by cyi1
I've seen a lot of posts about almost losing it going from 2nd to 3rd in several threads over the last couple years. Is it really bad in the A8?
I was under the impression it is the manuals with the 2 to 3 curse, but I could be wrong.
FWIW, I haven't had a problem with my A8 doing the shift.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:08 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I had a bunch of references, but I think an insurance contract is more conclusive. Here's one of Geico's exclusions, right alongside nuclear weapons and farming:

any loss caused by participation in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged.

Note their use of "stunting" so that you'd be excluded even if alone.

This guy might have already collected, but it could be without prejudice (ie: they can change their mind if new facts come along). I'm not an attorney, a street racer, nor an insurance agent. But I can read a contract as well as the next guy.

Reads to me like you get sideways in a burnout and you're excluded. Tough to prove, unless someone videos it.

Last edited by davepl; 08-06-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:22 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I had a bunch of references, but I think an insurance contract is more conclusive. Here's one of Geico's exclusions, right alongside nuclear weapons and farming:

any loss caused by participation in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged.

Not their use of "stunting" so that you'd be excluded even if alone.

This guy might have already collected, but it could be without prejudice (ie: they can change their mind if new facts come along). I'm not an attorney, a street racer, nor an insurance agent. But I can read a contract as well as the next guy.

Reads to me like you get sideways in a burnout and you're excluded. Tough to prove, unless someone videos it.

Hopefully nobody videoed the accident.. OH DAMN! LOL

Last edited by azcanuk; 08-06-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

Note their use of "stunting" so that you'd be excluded even if alone.

Even if it's on video, the claims adjuster isn't browsing YouTube and the corvetteforum. It's highly unlikely they'll come across the video and solely go upon the police report and the damage reported. Police report would just say the driver lost control and hit a tree.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I don't know why the 2-3 shift is a curse for Vettes, but it certainly seems to be.
I think its just in that "torgue" sweet spot. Just a quess.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Z06 bites the dust.....

Old 08-07-2016, 12:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Twowheelin_wildman
I think its just in that "torgue" sweet spot. Just a quess.
You're probably right.
IIRC, the LT4 reaches its 650 lbs. at 4,600 RPM...which would be close to the engine's speed at that gear change when the car is hammered pretty good.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:20 AM
Zedred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like he was in over his head, glad no one was hurt.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:44 AM
MindBend
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Ran out of talent.

Quick Reply: Another Z06 bites the dust.....