C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

So the A10 has no shift delay

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

This thread has turned into something completely off topic, as they always do. I'll chime back in. I have driven a full day on laguna seca with a PDK, and BMW DCT, and a c7 A8 (not z06). The A8 is much different than a DCT transmission, not only shifting speed is to compare but how the transmission performs and feels, its all subjective though, everyone has their own oppinion. However this isn't want I originally opened the post about. The A10 seem to be the answer to the A8 issues I brought up, which is the paddle shifting delay. What I have also noticed is the 5th gear ratio spread in the A8 which is due to the wide spread use of the A8 in trucks, which it was originally built for. The A10 also seems to cure this RPM drop. This is a completely different topic but is something that I have just recently noticed. While aero is a factor it shouldn't go without notice that the 5th gear is also to long. ive scene a few videos demonstrate this when roll racing, dead even or beating the other car, once shifted to 5th immediately stops pulling and the z06 gets pulled.

Once again, I am still shaking my head why the ZL1 is getting this transmission and the Z06 isn't, c7,GS keep the A8 but the z06 should be in its own league as the ZL1 is and get the A10, doesn't look like its happening though. maybe in a year.

Whiles its nice to leave the car in D and let the computer shift as fast as it can, I really enjoyed shifting the PDK and DCT on the track and around town, so the paddle delay is a big issue for me, ONLY, and I say ONLY because the A10 doesn't have it, if the A10 didn't exist and the A8 was as good as it gets then id live with it, but that's not the case, I remember when I drove the A8 I noticed the delay but it wasn't that big of a deal, but now that I know the ZL1 has the a10 and it cures that its now is a big deal to me lol. can't have it all I guess.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:45 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Just for the record, I was kidding about the CVT :-)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Just for the record, I was kidding about the CVT :-)
I recognized the NW humor...
Old 09-06-2016, 03:23 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
LOL...

There is nothing about the A8 that is faster than any modern performance DCT, no matter what mode you put it in; and nothing a tuner can do with fix that. The differences between the new 10 speed transmission, and the truck A8 transmission found in the C7 are night and day; which is why it shifts so much faster.

As for the rest of this thread; there is no point in comparing the PDK to the A8, zero. The PDK is hands down a better performance transmission. The A8 is not even in the same league; which shouldn't surprise anyone. The PDK is a DCT built purely for performance, the A8 in the Z06 is a torque converter slush box built to be a universal transmission used in everything from Corvettes to Silverados.
Learn to separate your opinion from facts...then you too will be able to make accurate posts.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:26 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
This thread has turned into something completely off topic, as they always do. I'll chime back in. I have driven a full day on laguna seca with a PDK, and BMW DCT, and a c7 A8 (not z06). The A8 is much different than a DCT transmission, not only shifting speed is to compare but how the transmission performs and feels, its all subjective though, everyone has their own oppinion. However this isn't want I originally opened the post about. The A10 seem to be the answer to the A8 issues I brought up, which is the paddle shifting delay. What I have also noticed is the 5th gear ratio spread in the A8 which is due to the wide spread use of the A8 in trucks, which it was originally built for. The A10 also seems to cure this RPM drop. This is a completely different topic but is something that I have just recently noticed. While aero is a factor it shouldn't go without notice that the 5th gear is also to long. ive scene a few videos demonstrate this when roll racing, dead even or beating the other car, once shifted to 5th immediately stops pulling and the z06 gets pulled.

Once again, I am still shaking my head why the ZL1 is getting this transmission and the Z06 isn't, c7,GS keep the A8 but the z06 should be in its own league as the ZL1 is and get the A10, doesn't look like its happening though. maybe in a year.

Whiles its nice to leave the car in D and let the computer shift as fast as it can, I really enjoyed shifting the PDK and DCT on the track and around town, so the paddle delay is a big issue for me, ONLY, and I say ONLY because the A10 doesn't have it, if the A10 didn't exist and the A8 was as good as it gets then id live with it, but that's not the case, I remember when I drove the A8 I noticed the delay but it wasn't that big of a deal, but now that I know the ZL1 has the a10 and it cures that its now is a big deal to me lol. can't have it all I guess.
The large drop in RPM when shifting the A8 to 5th has nothing to do with the transmission being used in trucks. I covered this in great detail here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591814694

The A10 is designed to be used in trucks/SUVs too so by your reasoning, it'll be just like the A8. I'm not sure where it got started that the A8 was originally designed for the trucks and then team Corvette decided to use a truck transmission. In actuality, the truck A8 is different from the transmission used in the Z06 with the Z06 A8 having a much higher torque capacity due to internal differences.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:36 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
Once again, I am still shaking my head why the ZL1 is getting this transmission and the Z06 isn't, c7,GS keep the A8 but the z06 should be in its own league as the ZL1 is and get the A10, doesn't look like its happening though. maybe in a year. .
Word is won't physically fit.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:15 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Apparently it is the same size but the present housing is designed to attach forward to the engine and not as part of a transaxle.

Last edited by jim2092; 09-06-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:10 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Every thread on the corvette forum brings out the dual clutch fanatics....

Geez..if milliseconds of a transmission downshift are so important why then does a z06 A8 lap so much faster than a hundred thousand dollar Porsche?

We get the fact that DCT fans love the feeling they get paddling their Porsches...

Corvette owners just prefer to win races...

Spend your hundred grand how you like.

Thanks for voicing your opinions...

We ve all gotten...

Let's wait and see what the 2017 z06 offers for track performance before we see more Porsche fans blow their brains out.

PDK is cool...it does offer a nice feeling of direct drive at part throttle shifts...

But I wouldn't go over board as if it's the epitome of life itself...

It's not exactly the cure for cancer....

Sorry guys,,,but you need to get over yourselves if you want any of us normal people to take what you say on a forum typing with any more value than a grain of salt...

Yes it does get salty in here...you PDK lovers...
Old 09-07-2016, 02:10 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

I admit you're onto something....
Love for the PDK can get pretty thick around here.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:17 AM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Have you driven an A8 on the track in sport mode?

So, you continue to run your mouth like you're some kind of expert,
but you've never even driven a PDK equipped 911 Turbo.
You have zero credibility regarding this subject and have been exposed.

Unlike you, I won't duck the question, because I actually have driven the cars I discuss.
Yes, I have driven the A8 on a track in sports mode. The delay when manually shifting was completely unacceptable and comparing the A8 to the PDK is a joke. Even when left in drive, the A8 does not compare to PDK, especially when downshifting.

Originally Posted by JerriVette
you PDK lovers...
Originally Posted by sunsalem
I admit you're onto something....
Love for the PDK can get pretty thick around here.

GM themselves are obviously "PDK lovers" and they created the justifiable criticism by continually calling out PDK by name in their marketing material claims and comparisons.
GM bench marks PDK because it's the best transmission in the world right now.
The only thing that's "pretty thick" around here is the fan boy BS and fog.
You two have obviously never driven a PDK equipped 911 Turbo either.

All the other gibberish is blatant fan boy trolling and will be ignored,
because things seem to be one sided around here.

I love the rev matching stick and LT1 in my 2016.
I truly hope the A10 removes the unacceptable lag.
I truly hope the ZR1 and C8 gets the DCT that the 2014 Corvette deserved.
But, until that happens, GM marketing and their shills need to be exposed, like you all just were.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 09-07-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 16sedanSS

Unlike you, I won't duck the question, because I actually have driven the cars I discuss.
Yes, I have driven the A8 on a track in sports mode. The delay when manually shifting was completely unacceptable and comparing the A8 to the PDK is a joke. Even when left in drive, the A8 does not compare to PDK, especially when downshifting.

GM themselves are obviously "PDK lovers" and they created the justifiable criticism by continually calling out PDK by name in their marketing material claims and comparisons.

But, until that happens, GM marketing and their shills need to be exposed, like you all just were.
Salty love for Pdk..
Old 09-07-2016, 11:44 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

GM marketing and their shills need to be exposed, like you all just were
Son, for someone who has 13 posts and doesn't have a Z06, you're certainly off to flying start in this forum.

Don't be surprised if you make it onto a lot of Ignore Lists (BTW, welcome to mine).
Old 09-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

427C5..AWDandDCT.....20171LE.. and few more accounts which I have forgotten.... (All banned btw...) All sprouting the same bullshit over and over and over and once more. When are you going to learn?
Old 09-07-2016, 12:04 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Be careful here and don't get drug into a pi$$ing match. The folks now responding to you are the hardest of the hard core Corvette fanboys. Just about every one of them is on my ignore list because of previous statements about Porches, or PDK trannies, or other statements that were either anti Porsche or PDK, OR so pro Corvette that nothing you can say will sway them from thinking you are an uneducated moron because you can't see how great Corvettes are.
I refuse to get into discussions with them, and so should you. You are new here, they are counting on you getting emotional and finally banned.
The following users liked this post:
TARANTULA (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 12:55 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Be careful here and don't get drug into a pi$$ing match. The folks now responding to you are the hardest of the hard core Corvette fanboys. Just about every one of them is on my ignore list because of previous statements about Porches, or PDK trannies, or other statements that were either anti Porsche or PDK, OR so pro Corvette that nothing you can say will sway them from thinking you are an uneducated moron because you can't see how great Corvettes are.
I refuse to get into discussions with them, and so should you. You are new here, they are counting on you getting emotional and finally banned.
Re-read the parts of his post I quoted...do you notice a pattern regarding his use of language?
Lemme help in case it escapes you...like every other, this forum has rules regarding personal attacks/insults and he stepped over the line IMO.

And just to make sure I understand you --- you're dismayed to find "pro Corvette" comments on a website entitled Corvetteforum.com?
Yeah, that really is a pretty terrible situation...

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
tail_lights (09-12-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:05 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

We have to understand that this is a Corvette forum and I get that. However the lack of objectivity on this forum is unbelievable. Anytime the PDK is brought up relative to the A8 people go nuts here and then it becomes a pissing contest. Is there anybody here that has driven both the PDK and the A8 and can explain why the A8 is better ? I have not seen it. I have driven both and its no contest. Plain and simple. Need I mention the PDK does not overheat at the track either.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:30 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
We have to understand that this is a Corvette forum and I get that. However the lack of objectivity on this forum is unbelievable. Anytime the PDK is brought up relative to the A8 people go nuts here and then it becomes a pissing contest. Is there anybody here that has driven both the PDK and the A8 and can explain why the A8 is better ? I have not seen it. I have driven both and its no contest. Plain and simple. Need I mention the PDK does not overheat at the track either.
And I have driven them both also, and I agree with you. I had corvettes with the A4 and the A6 also, the PDK was an epiphany for me and the A8 didn't change that.

Get notified of new replies

To So the A10 has no shift delay

Old 09-07-2016, 02:46 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

And I have driven them both also, and I agree with you. I had corvettes with the A4 and the A6 also, the PDK was an epiphany for me and the A8 didn't change that.
I strongly agree and now the famous bashing will begin.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:08 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I suspect the A10 won't be a lot better however in terms of CAFE requirements across the line it will help GM a lot. The problem with getting a DCT into production is simply cost and utilization in other products. Its kind of hard to imagine a GMC Sierra with a DCT when there is no need for it. I think GM should buy a DCT from somebody else however since making their own may not make financial sense.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 09-07-2016 at 03:12 PM.
ByByBMW (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 06:01 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Even Porsche owners and fans want a manual transmission...i.e. The ultra exclusive and much desired 911R...

With GM s c7 z06. Consumers have a choice between a rev matching 7 speed manual or an 8 speed automatic that is even faster lapping a racetrack than any Porsche...

We have had the discussion how great a feeling the PDK is at part throttle.

Still on a race track the Z06 is faster.

We won't even talk about the cost of ownership and maintance.

buy either the Porsche or the corvette.

The choice is yours...

I am interested in the rising demand for manual transmission sports cars in this day and age of dual clutch transmissions at Porsche and Ferrari.

Seems like the PDK misses a portion of the analog driving experience so many enthusiasts demand...

The price escalation on manual ferraris far outpaces the dual clutch model ..

I wonder if this trend will continue...

Who knew the corvette team were ahead of this phenomena ..

Quick Reply: So the A10 has no shift delay