C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Lemon Lawed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 03:57 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Lemon Lawed

Has anyone successfully Lemon Lawed a Z06 for the Heat Soak overheating issue ? I have an A8 that I cannot run two laps with. I had a '15 Z06 M7 that I had no issues with at all. I have talked to an attorney, he told me he can get it done, especially with all the new press releases where GM states they have fixed the "heat soak, overheating issues with the 15 & 16's". I have talked to the local dealership, GM has offered trade in assistance toward a new car, but I still have to come up with a couple grand. If I go the lemon law route, I get ALL my money back plus taxes, etc. etc., but it will take awhile. Thoughts ?
Old 07-31-2016, 04:09 PM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TopSpeedNeed
Has anyone successfully Lemon Lawed a Z06 for the Heat Soak overheating issue ? I have an A8 that I cannot run two laps with. I had a '15 Z06 M7 that I had no issues with at all. I have talked to an attorney, he told me he can get it done, especially with all the new press releases where GM states they have fixed the "heat soak, overheating issues with the 15 & 16's". I have talked to the local dealership, GM has offered trade in assistance toward a new car, but I still have to come up with a couple grand. If I go the lemon law route, I get ALL my money back plus taxes, etc. etc., but it will take awhile. Thoughts ?
What will the attorney cost and can he really get it done? Depending on expenses and headaches might be easier to trade. Only you can make that decision. I probably spend too much for convenience and speed.

Kevin
Old 07-31-2016, 05:10 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Yeah, the attorney can "get it done" at $350 per hour on your dime. Ask them if they'll take it on contingency and watch the answer change...

Last edited by davepl; 07-31-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

A couple grand to trade Vs Attorney's Fees and other costs associated with purchasing a car that may be lost. If you have a car loan do you get back any of the money spent for the interest paid to the financial institution.

I would be jumping all over the trade.

Bill
Old 07-31-2016, 05:21 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Ask the Lawyer to agree to a flat fee if the suit does not go to trial. That should be pretty straight forward. BTW....it will not go to court. Start a recap, if you haven't already, of what happened and when. Be sure to also list times, dates and person(s) you've spoken with at GM trying to resolve your issue.

I wouldn't trade and take a loss. You've done nothing wrong and GM should compensate you for your material loss.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:54 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

How many miles on your car? I would be tempted to do the trade in even if it cost you 2 grand out of pocket. Your car has probably depreciated more than that already. I had an 05 I bought new that had several issues. I researched the lemon law. Between attorney's fees and the length of time it would have taken I elected to pursue a GM buy back through GM Customer Assistance. They bought the car back and I got almost everything back and the car was 2 years old. I ended up buying a used Z06 privately.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:11 PM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

try the Lemon Law claim through the BBB first, with no lawyer. If you have a strong case, then they will play ball. If you have no case (which I don't think that you do if this is a track problem only), they will tell you to pound sand.

They know what is winnable and what is not winnable.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:34 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Seems that the answer to your question is, "not that anyone is aware of" on this forum.

My guess is that you will be denied a Lemon Law award due to an inability to race the car and that your lawyer will enjoy the heck out of billing you time and materials for fighting General Motors.

My suggestion? Take whatever compensation you're offered and buy another make of car to track as the C7Z may never be what you seek. Plan B would be to get GM to install the cooling improvements in your car, gratis. Plan C, get them to give you a great deal on the M7 for 2017.

Last edited by HighBeta; 07-31-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:47 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Get in touch with GM. Have them work you a deal on a trade such as giving you allownce on ordering 2017 manual. This is better than wasting a year in legal issues. This path is much faster.

Last edited by 5thGear; 07-31-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:15 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cvp33
Ask the Lawyer to agree to a flat fee if the suit does not go to trial. That should be pretty straight forward. BTW....it will not go to court. Start a recap, if you haven't already, of what happened and when. Be sure to also list times, dates and person(s) you've spoken with at GM trying to resolve your issue.

I wouldn't trade and take a loss. You've done nothing wrong and GM should compensate you for your material loss.
Material loss here is not winnable as you have no actionable material loss. Failed expectations? Yes, but that is not a material loss unless you bought the car to make a living racing for prize money.

If the OP has used the car as daily transportation in addition to a track car, then the car has functioned and is subject to normal depreciation, however disappointing it has been as a track car. The negotiation becomes, how much is that deprecation - hence the sweet trade in or trade up deal(s) to solicit.

Last edited by HighBeta; 07-31-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:18 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a CAI and no tune on my '15 Z06 M7 and took it to Roebling and ran it and had NO problems what so ever. You know as well as I do, and GM knows that this is a problem with the A8's. A CAI and no tune has nothing to do with it running hot and heat soaking. They have the same issues at Spring Mountain, and they don't have a CAI and no tune. Did you read GM's press release ? They think they have fixed the issue with the 15 & 16's. I have run hot in Daytona, and at Roebling. A CAI has nothing to do with it running hot and heat soaking, nothing... If anything the expansion tank should have helped.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

As I have stated previously, I believe the issues with your car are related to the modifications that you installed. CAI (no tune), exhaust and an AM expansion tank.
I'm curious if you left the mods on the car when it was returned to the service department. If not, and they noted in the service report that it was modified, your path to Lemon-lawing the car may be harder.
FWIW...I have ran a faster pace than you over full sessions at Daytona-Rolex with no issues of overheating. While I have stated that in higher ambient temps the cooling system needs "help", I believe there is something else going on with your car as your temps were nowhere near the 262* ECT "limp mode" and your EOT's were ~270*. I believed then that it was something related to your modifications.
Personally, I would take a '17 if you really like the car and don't want to put much out-of-pocket. Honestly, there aren't many options that will run the pace of a C7 Z06 in its price point. There is Viper, and an ACR will be ~$45-50k out-of-pocket, or a GT3 which will be even more but hold very solid resale.
Good luck and sorry for your problems.
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
HighBeta (08-01-2016), thebishman (08-01-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:24 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HighBeta
Material loss here is not winnable.

If the OP has used the car as daily transportation in addition to a track car, then the car has functioned and is subject to normal depreciation, however disappointing it has been as a track car.
It is not a "track car". I use it on weekends, and I have been to two HPDE's and both times it went into limp mode. My attorney agreed to do it for a flat 2500. bucks. And he said its a slam dunk, but he suggested I tried doing through GM customer service first, which I did. As far as the track car issue, GM also has advertised the car as Corvette's first street and track car... If you read the manual it tells you how to set the car up, and get it ready for the track. This is my 18th corvette, I have been a corvette guy for years, this is the first corvette I have been totally disappointed in, only because its the most expensive car I have ever bought.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Leave the attorney out of it, take the deal, pay the 2 grand and try and get a 2017 m6. There will be many more on the forum who will take a bigger loss upgrading to the 2017 with its cooling improvements.
The following 3 users liked this post by lgodom:
Dabigsnake (07-31-2016), Fastmikefree (08-01-2016), TopSpeedNeed (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snorman
As I have stated previously, I believe the issues with your car are related to the modifications that you installed. CAI (no tune), exhaust and an AM expansion tank.
I'm curious if you left the mods on the car when it was returned to the service department. If not, and they noted in the service report that it was modified, your path to Lemon-lawing the car may be harder.
FWIW...I have ran a faster pace than you over full sessions at Daytona-Rolex with no issues of overheating. While I have stated that in higher ambient temps the cooling system needs "help", I believe there is something else going on with your car as your temps were nowhere near the 262* ECT "limp mode" and your EOT's were ~270*. I believed then that it was something related to your modifications.
Personally, I would take a '17 if you really like the car and don't want to put much out-of-pocket. Honestly, there aren't many options that will run the pace of a C7 Z06 in its price point. There is Viper, and an ACR will be ~$45-50k out-of-pocket, or a GT3 which will be even more but hold very solid resale.
Good luck and sorry for your problems.
S.
You ran faster than me because I only got a lap and a half in... Lol. I believe I have read in one of your posts that you don't go this time of year because you know the car will overheat. I had a 13 C6 Z06 Anniv. edition that was about 550 rwhp that I could have given you a run for your money and NOT overheated/heat soaked, anytime of year. Maybe GM should have said "its a great track car during the winter months"..
Old 07-31-2016, 07:36 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lgodom
Leave the attorney out of it, take the deal, pay the 2 grand and try and get a 2017 m6. There will be many more on the forum who will take a bigger loss upgrading to the 2017 with its cooling improvements.
Brilliant advice!!!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

You ran faster than me because I only got a lap and a half in... Lol. I believe I have read in one of your posts that you don't go this time of year because you know the car will overheat. I had a 13 C6 Z06 Anniv. edition that was about 550 rwhp that I could have given you a run for your money and NOT overheated/heat soaked, anytime of year. Maybe GM should have said "its a great track car during the winter months"..
I ran my car twice in April and it was mid-upper 80's.
And your recollection is inaccurate. I never said I "don't go at this time of year because <I> know the car will overheat". I don't go at this time of year because in Florida the track temps are ridiculously high and I don't feel like hanging out in the paddock in 95* temps and neither do the guys I track with regularly. There is a reason that groups like Chin only run single-day events in the summer.
And FYI, you wouldn't have given me a "run for <my> money". Not even close. Sorry.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Lemon Lawed

azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

A lawyer working Lemon Law cases doesn't charge his "client", he gets all expenses/fees from the manufacturer.

However I'm thinking you wouldn't get any satisfaction trying to Lemon law.

Last edited by azcanuk; 07-31-2016 at 07:42 PM.
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Forgot to mention, I only have 2800 miles on the car, issues I have had so far, they replaced the rear differential for a noise, replaced the water pump because it was leaking, now I have an intermittent A/C issue going on. Car has been out of service for about 40 days in the first year already.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Forgot to mention, I only have 2800 miles on the car, issues I have had so far, they replaced the rear differential for a noise, replaced the water pump because it was leaking, now I have an intermittent A/C issue going on. Car has been out of service for about 40 days in the first year already.
Then you've had more than just cooling issues and it's probably a good idea to move on.
Again, sorry you've had problems with the car and good luck.

S.

Quick Reply: Lemon Lawed