C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Potential problem with the z06 and 6th gen Camaro z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rondog
There is always going to be something better, faster, more updated. But I bought my Z06 for the looks! The new Camaro looks good too, but not as good as my Vette!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Twowheelin_wildman
Ya something bigger and better from another company. No within. Not the Camaro
Old 06-28-2016, 10:46 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The Gen 5 Z28 was faster that the C7 Z51 in some tests, so why would you not expect some performance overlap?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:53 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Since the Camaro and Mustang will be using the same 10 speed transmission it will be interesting to see how these 3 cars compare to each other.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:56 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSSted
I hear ya. . And by no means would anyone think the sales numbers of the Z28 would rival a base through the ZL1. The Z28 was a niche car. It gets busy at the track no doubt, but on a grand scale it was a flop when compared to other makes and models for the price. Hence why GM discounted the hell out of it down the road , and why they can be had for 50K when they msrp for 70K...

GM is coming correct though with the ZL1, you know it's correct when even fellow Chevy guys in the Vette's are in their feelings over the platform.
Correct. Sales went in the toilet but it still did its job to make the Camaro brand recognized world wide.

I'm a big fan of the gen 6 ZL1 because of the Z/28. A lot of other people in my neck of woods are considering a ZL1 over their M3s etc etc.. When you have people willing to replace their couple months old M3/M4 with a Camaro...you know something is up. We'll see...

Last edited by Lavender; 06-29-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:35 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
They didn't build the Z/28 in order to sell 150000 of them. They build it because they could. They were given the green light from GM to build the biggest and baddest Camaro to date. They hit a homerun with it. People in my neck of woods (Im from Europe) are constantly talking about it. Camaros are recognized all over the world now and thats because of the Z/28.

No one gave a damn about the SS. That started to change with the ZL1 and moved on with the 1LE. When GM came up with the Z/28 it was just icing on the cake. I know of people who bought 6 banger Camaros because they heard of the Z/28 performance but couldn't afford it. So they settled for the "lesser model..or in this case the base model.

Soon we will have a new player in town. That would be the ZL1. Im expecting the A10 ZL1 to hurt a lot of feelings. Especially so in the $60k segment....
HUH?????
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2016, 06:37 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Z28 Lackluster sales

It will be interesting to see what the Z28 launches with. I can't see them going the exact same direction as the ZL1. The LS7 compared to the LS3 or 9 was such a different beast and awesome NA platform. The current offerings from GM don't allow the same comparison.
Time will tell, but if it's a ZL1 with carbon brakes, aero and no radio the Z28 again will be lackluster in terms of sales.
Exactly. I know my local Chevy dealer traded his Gen5 Z28's, one for a Malibu another for a Silverado. He took profit where he could make a sale. Z28's generated some floor traffic but overwhelming customer comments prohibiting purchases were about the $70K plus MSRP price. The 1LE Camaro pkg. was definitely more in line with the Camaro demographic for a track car. My new '13 427 60th Ann. Corvette Vert. cost less than the Z28 , has the LS7 and nearly all the amenities of a C6 Z06, steel frame excepted for extra 156 lbs. It is certainly competitive performance wise with the Gen5 Z28. The details and customer support for the Gen6 Z28 remains to be seen.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:06 AM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Default No one gave a damn ......?

Originally Posted by Lavender
They didn't build the Z/28 in order to sell 150000 of them. They build it because they could. They were given the green light from GM to build the biggest and baddest Camaro to date. They hit a homerun with it. People in my neck of woods (Im from Europe) are constantly talking about it. Camaros are recognized all over the world now and thats because of the Z/28.

No one gave a damn about the SS. That started to change with the ZL1 and moved on with the 1LE. When GM came up with the Z/28 it was just icing on the cake. I know of people who bought 6 banger Camaros because they heard of the Z/28 performance but couldn't afford it. So they settled for the "lesser model..or in this case the base model.

Soon we will have a new player in town. That would be the ZL1. Im expecting the A10 ZL1 to hurt a lot of feelings. Especially so in the $60k segment....
I agree with the first part of your statements. The 1LE pkg. which is an "SS" Camaro was the best performing track Camaro for the buck. The Gen5 Z28 was published to be marginally faster than a ZL1. I seriously question these stats. I don't know anyone who owns a Gen5 Z28. As you said, production was very limited. The COPO Camaro program also contributed greatly to world opinion of Camaro. The dealers, customers and aftermarket vendors support the SS Camaro model more than any other. The SS Camaro also did more to keep the Chevy outselling Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger every month with minor exception. I say the Camaro 1SS/2SS was cared about very much with the LS3/L99 engines appealing to the performance segment the most. I am sure thinking about trading my '13 ZL1 for a Gen6 ZL1 but production is said to be very limited to 1000 units. Not many dealers will see one. That LT4 in my C7 Z06 is sure a great performer, even stock and this is the "Corvette" forum Z06 thread.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:28 AM
ElSeano80
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not really, automakers build to sell. Create a market and steal sales from rivals. The biggest/baddest is subjective. The Z28 is a track focused car. A 70k track car with no AC or radio doesn't appeal to the masses.

The ZL1 is no doubt going to hurt some feelings this launch, I can't wait. The vision of GM has to be to knock off the GT350R which is a bad car in the pony class.
You know you could get a Z/28 with an upgraded radio and AC?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:39 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSeano80
You know you could get a Z/28 with an upgraded radio and AC?
Yes I'm aware, point was it's a track focused car ... IF you have to opt into having a radio & AC.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
I agree with the first part of your statements. The 1LE pkg. which is an "SS" Camaro was the best performing track Camaro for the buck. The Gen5 Z28 was published to be marginally faster than a ZL1. I seriously question these stats. I don't know anyone who owns a Gen5 Z28. As you said, production was very limited. The COPO Camaro program also contributed greatly to world opinion of Camaro. The dealers, customers and aftermarket vendors support the SS Camaro model more than any other. The SS Camaro also did more to keep the Chevy outselling Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger every month with minor exception. I say the Camaro 1SS/2SS was cared about very much with the LS3/L99 engines appealing to the performance segment the most. I am sure thinking about trading my '13 ZL1 for a Gen6 ZL1 but production is said to be very limited to 1000 units. Not many dealers will see one. That LT4 in my C7 Z06 is sure a great performer, even stock and this is the "Corvette" forum Z06 thread.
I meant no one in Europe cared about the SS. I have seen 3 or 4 SS total since they came out 6 or so years ago. But that changed when the Z/28 came out. As I said..I saw 3 or 4 for the entire lifespan of the Gen V Camaro.

You should go for the gen 6 ZL1. Production will be slow @ start but eventually every dealer will get their allocations.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I could care less what the Camaro does or does not do.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Ever since its inception in the middle 60s the Camaro was always breathing down the neck of the Corvette. However, it never had, and still does not have the styling/looks of a Vette. At 69 years old and owner of 20 lifetime Vettes I would never buy a Camaro, no matter how great/fast. To me the Camaro, like the Mustang, is a very good car in many aspects. But, I will always see both as "kid's"/wannabe cars.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:12 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

I think everybody is missing the point of the Z28: it was not intended to set sales records, it was for the purpose of racing in the Pirelli series against the Mustang and Porsche and it did its job admirably and won the series last year. This year Ford has no opposition from GM and will likely run away with the series.

To complain that the Z28 didn't sell a lot of cars would be like Porsche-files complaining that the GT3 is a sales failure and should be canceled because the Carrerra out sells it.

I think it's great that GM is back to racing its' production cars and I just wish they had a similar interest in the Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
ElSeano80 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 12:17 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I think it's great that GM is back to racing its' production cars and I just wish they had a similar interest in the Corvette.
When Corvette moves as many units a year in total as the Camaro does, then GM might consider a stripped-down track-only version. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:52 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
When Corvette moves as many units a year in total as the Camaro does, then GM might consider a stripped-down track-only version. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
We've had a lot of arguments about this before. In 1986 you could order a radio-delete car, in 2001 they produced a car that was lighter and noisier for the express purpose of performance. The factory is staking its reputation on international racing with the C7. There was supposed to be a turn-key factory race C7 for a Corvette only racing series but I haven't heard a thing about that recently.

Producing a limited run track oriented C7 might not sell a lot of cars but it could generate a lot of interest and would likely create an instant collectible.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:31 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally posted by LAVENDER:
I meant no one in Europe cared about the SS. I have seen 3 or 4 SS total since they came out 6 or so years ago. But that changed when the Z/28 came out. As I said..I saw 3 or 4 for the entire lifespan of the Gen V Camaro.You should go for the gen 6 ZL1. Production will be slow @ start but eventually every dealer will get their allocations. [/QUOTE]

As I said, I am surprised to see so much about the Camaro model here in the Corvette Forum Z06 thread. To address this last remark, I believe people gravitate toward what they prefer, it is only human nature. One might not see all the "SS" models since they are clearly not the preference. My opinion: perhaps the lack of Camaro "SS" sightings where you are, noted as 3 or 4 Gen5 Camaro SS models for the entire six year production run (more than seven years in the public eye on the road 2009-2016) is quite remarkable. Maybe it is a geographic thing? I seem to find numerous Gen5 Camaro SS models in my area. Maybe I just notice because I have a couple Gen5 Camaros in my stable ( '11 2SS Vert. & '13 ZL1 Vert. in addition to the C6 427 and C7 Z06.)I'll bet you could get more accurate sales and demographic info on the Gen5 & Gen6 Camaro models over at the Camaro5 and Camaro6 Forums.

Last edited by ROBWILKER; 06-29-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Separate Op & reply comments.

Quick Reply: Potential problem with the z06 and 6th gen Camaro z28