C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why is Z always in tour mode at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 PM
vettejeff
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Why is Z always in tour mode at start up?

Can I change something so car is always in sport mode or track mode at start up. Im trying to figure this thing out? I turn it off in track mode but at next startup its in tour mode again. Other than that this is the finest GM vehicle I have ever owned! I traded in my two low mile show vettes, an 86 and a 2003 50th and I thought I would be sad about it. That lasted until I fired this beast up and drove it home. I got a 2016 Z06/Z07 manual in torch red, black rims with stage 3 aero. Put 80 mies on it yesterday, can't wait till break in is over at 500. Im like a kid at Christmas with this Z06, can't believe I finally own one. Can I also pull a fuse so its wide open exhaust all the time? Thanks for any help!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

You can go into the "Settings" mode and program the exhaust to be in "performance"" mode all the time....that one's easy. As for your "Tour" mode question, can't answer that one. For me, I'm always in Tour mode....roads in my area suck, so I want a softer suspension to keep my kidneys intact.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-02-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: No need to requote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
vettejeff (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

For some reason, the car will not stay in "Tr"ack mode after the ignition is in the off position. It'll default to "T"our. It will stay in "S"port mode if you shut off the car and start it again. But just not in "Tr"ack. Not sure of GM's logic, but that's the way it is. You can tailor the exhaust note to keep it in Track mode, so whatever mode the Drive Selector is in you'll get the raspy exhaust note.
Congrats!
S.
Originally Posted by vettejeff
Can I change something so car is always in sport mode or track mode at start up. Im trying to figure this thing out? I turn it off in track mode but at next startup its in tour mode again. Other than that this is the finest GM vehicle I have ever owned! I traded in my two low mile show vettes, an 86 and a 2003 50th and I thought I would be sad about it. That lasted until I fired this beast up and drove it home. I got a 2016 Z06/Z07 manual in torch red, black rims with stage 3 aero. Put 80 mies on it yesterday, can't wait till break in is over at 500. Im like a kid at Christmas with this Z06, can't believe I finally own one. Can I also pull a fuse so its wide open exhaust all the time? Thanks for any help!
vettejeff (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
For some reason, the car will not stay in "Tr"ack mode after the ignition is in the off position. It'll default to "T"our. It will stay in "S"port mode if you shut off the car and start it again. But just not in "Tr"ack. Not sure of GM's logic, but that's the way it is. You can tailor the exhaust note to keep it in Track mode, so whatever mode the Drive Selector is in you'll get the raspy exhaust note.
Congrats!
S.
:agree:

Just speculating on the logic, probably due to PTM modes and the reduction of traction/stability control systems. I think in almost every car with traction/stability control, it is re-enabled every time the car is turned off and back on. I can see some litigation concerns if the car could remain in race or 'all off' through ignition cycles.

Would be nice if it were to stay in track if PTM wasn't activated.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schaibaa
:agree:

Just speculating on the logic, probably due to PTM modes and the reduction of traction/stability control systems. I think in almost every car with traction/stability control, it is re-enabled every time the car is turned off and back on. I can see some litigation concerns if the car could remain in race or 'all off' through ignition cycles.

Would be nice if it were to stay in rack if PTM wasn't activated.
Well, when you go into a PTM mode, if you press the TC button, it exits PTM. And TC resets at startup. So they could leave it in "Tr"ack mode but out of PTM.
S.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Congrats!
S.
I think GM's logic was the same logic they used for traction control, it automatically defaults to all on when ,The car is turned off, GM has been doing this for a while, whe I got in the car the 1st thing I would do is turn t/c off etc.... It because second nature.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 05-01-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

On the street I just let it choose full nanny mode. On the track I am now running in Sport 1 getting ready to try Race mode once I get another 100 miles of track driving on this car.

There isn't any real reason to tun in Track Mode on the street. In full nanny mode you have enough performance to get yourself in trouble and if you are like 99.9% of the drivers on the road and don't know how to drive a high performance car you really should let it be in Tour, Weather or Eco modes. You need to be more than a stab and steer type of driver before you start reducing the driving AIDS when driving on the street or highway. There are too many situations where you need to react with combinations of steering, throttle lift, braking, throttle application to put the car where it needs to go to avoid something, whether that something is an animal, human, car, truck or tree.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Busa Dave (05-02-2016), vettejeff (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by tzoid9
You can go into the "Settings" mode and program the exhaust to be in "performance"" mode all the time....that one's easy. As for your "Tour" mode question, can't answer that one. For me, I'm always in Tour mode....roads in my area suck, so I want a softer suspension to keep my kidneys intact.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
On the street I just let it choose full nanny mode. On the track I am now running in Sport 1 getting ready to try Race mode once I get another 100 miles of track driving on this car.

There isn't any real reason to tun in Track Mode on the street. In full nanny mode you have enough performance to get yourself in trouble and if you are like 99.9% of the drivers on the road and don't know how to drive a high performance car you really should let it be in Tour, Weather or Eco modes. You need to be more than a stab and steer type of driver before you start reducing the driving AIDS when driving on the street or highway. There are too many situations where you need to react with combinations of steering, throttle lift, braking, throttle application to put the car where it needs to go to avoid something, whether that something is an animal, human, car, truck or tree.

Bill
One would run the car in Track mode on the street if they wanted the slightly stiffer damping and more aggressive shift strategy in the A8 cars.
I typically appreciate your posts, but not sure why you're trying to lecture people on what drive mode they should use on the street. That's a personal preference. FWIW, stability and traction control are still in play in Track mode. They don't get substantially effected unless the car is in one of the PTM modes.
S.
The following 3 users liked this post by Snorman:
427bob (05-02-2016), Firemedic301 (04-15-2018), ScGRaceR (04-15-2018)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Perhaps it has Something to do with the fact that track mode use on the street could possibly result in a bent rim if you hit a bump/pothole, since track mode is so stiff.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

One would run the car in Track mode on the street if they wanted the slightly stiffer damping and more aggressive shift strategy in the A8 cars.
I typically appreciate your posts, but not sure why you're trying to lecture people on what drive mode they should use on the street. That's a personal preference. FWIW, stability and traction control are still in play in Track mode. They don't get substantially effected unless the car is in one of the PTM modes.
S.
Yes, it is their personal preference. I guess I was being a little sarcastic and maybe a little mean in my wording. However, the substance is true.

Bill
Old 05-02-2016, 02:44 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Babaron
Perhaps it has Something to do with the fact that track mode use on the street could possibly result in a bent rim if you hit a bump/pothole, since track mode is so stiff.

could also be that GM is so litigation fearing that they worry some mcdondalds hot coffee suing jerk will argue that hey i didnt realize it was going to be in "track" mode when i woke up this morning and that is why i crashed the car. "I was on a track yesterday and that is why i had it in track mode, but i expected it to reset since being on a track is not common".. something like that. They want the user to make a conscious decision to be in track mode every time. Just like when you get those stupid popup messages that say warning you could get in accident if you use the touch screen while driving blah blah.. well GM i am probably going to get in an accident because you pop up that damn ok button all the time, that is more distracting than anything !@#$@#$!@.. but i digress.. when something is goofy like this a lawyer and/or a bean counter probably had a hand in it.

Last edited by TripleBlack99; 05-02-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I agree with Snorman on this one. Try the car in Tour but turn AH and TC off. Tour mode with no computer assistance can be a widowmaker for most drivers.

What if the car wouldn't pass emissions or would get penalized with a gas guzzler fee in Track mode if it was a default setting? I think it is possible.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 PM
vettejeff
Racer

I guess i should of been a little more clear. I like the track mode dash display and the wide open exhaust. Can I get those two if Im in sport mode?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:28 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

I guess i should of been a little more clear. I like the track mode dash display and the wide open exhaust. Can I get those two if Im in sport mode?
Yes.

The only things you cannot get at startup are:
PTM
Track suspension setting
Track throttle progression
Rev-match
Traction control off
Stability control off
vettejeff (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. You can default to the "Tr"ack dash display.
On the DIC: Settings-->Link to Drive Mode-->Track (or Sport, or Tour, or Link to Drive Mode)
For the exhaust, on the center stack screen: Settings-->Drive Mode-->Engine Sound Management-->Track (or Stealth, Tour, Sport, Link to Drive Mode)
S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snorman:
ScGRaceR (04-15-2018), vettejeff (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM
vettejeff
Racer

Thanks Snorman! Will go out and mess with settings tonight. This car is amazing!

Get notified of new replies

To Why is Z always in tour mode at start up?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Colonel
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
could also be that GM is so litigation fearing that they worry some mcdondalds hot coffee suing jerk will argue that hey i didnt realize it was going to be in "track" mode when i woke up this morning and that is why i crashed the car. "I was on a track yesterday and that is why i had it in track mode, but i expected it to reset since being on a track is not common".. something like that. They want the user to make a conscious decision to be in track mode every time. Just like when you get those stupid popup messages that say warning you could get in accident if you use the touch screen while driving blah blah.. well GM i am probably going to get in an accident because you pop up that damn ok button all the time, that is more distracting than anything !@#$@#$!@.. but i digress.. when something is goofy like this a lawyer and/or a bean counter probably had a hand in it.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Can I change something so car is always in sport mode or track mode at start up. Im trying to figure this thing out? I turn it off in track mode but at next startup its in tour mode again.
I discovered the answer to your question today...
It starts up in Tour mode so that it won't wake up the neighborhood when starting in the garage in the morning.

Last edited by sunsalem; 05-03-2016 at 12:57 AM.
vettejeff (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 AM
Metalfatigue
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is PTM?

Quick Reply: Why is Z always in tour mode at start up?