C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Headlight Shake

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:55 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Headlight Shake

I'm fairly new here so if I'm posting this in the incorrect location, I apologize in advance.

I purchased a 2016 Z06 about two months ago and have since then driven a total of 1400 miles. Many of my miles are at night as that is when I can drive the car and I am plagued by something that actually makes me not want to drive the car, at night anyway. The headlight "light" as it illuminates the roadway shakes and dances on the road surface independent of the vehicle motion any time I drive over an imperfection in the roadway surface.

If I use my fingers to "drumroll" on the fender, the light emitted from the headlight assembly will flicker/dance on what ever surface it is reflecting off of so it doesn't even require me driving on a rough road to duplicate this.

The dealer confirmed this wih a new Vette and consequently deemed it as "working as designed" so they won't address it. Many members here have expressed having this issue as well so perhaps it can be something the forum can ask of GM and get an answer.

Last edited by ZenicaPA; 04-16-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2016, 02:20 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I'm fairly new here so if I'm posting this in the incorrect location, I apologize in advance.

I purchased a 2016 Z06 about two months ago and have since then driven a total of 1400 miles. Many of my miles are at night as that is when I can drive the car and I am plagued by something that actually makes me not want to drive the car, at night anyway. The headlight "light" as it illuminates the roadway shakes and dances on the road surface independent of the vehicle motion any time I drive over an imperfection in the roadway surface.

If I use my fingers to "drumroll" on the fender, the light emitted from the headlight assembly will flicker/dance on what ever surface it is reflecting off of so it doesn't even require me driving on a rough road to duplicate this.

The dealer confirmed this wih a new Vette and consequently deemed it as "working as designed" so they won't address it. Many members here have expressed having this issue as well so perhaps it can be something the forum can ask of GM and get an answer.
I have been looking at the lights at night and mine seems solid with the car. The car hits a bump the light may rise and lower but it is from the car being taught. Mine doesn't do a loose jiggle like some describe. Not too many are complaining threads come and only a couple seem to have an issue.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 04-17-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:24 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I have been looking at the lights at night and mine seems solid with the car. The car hits a bump the light may rise and lower but it is from the car being taught. Mine doesn't do a loose jiggle like some describe. Not too many are complaining threads come and only a couple seem to have an issue.
I think my lights would be steadier if I held them in my hands.

Others have expressed irritation with the seat warmer yet mine get toasty just fine. It seems consistency is something the factory has to work on....the other thread discussing BG might have a point!
Old 04-17-2016, 02:27 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

No shaking or jiggling with my 16.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does the "dancing" as well sometimes. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:47 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Mine seem solid. Weird that its car to car.

When I watched the "How's it made" one of the last things they do is align the headlights. There's not something they could forget to "lock back down" when they're done, is there? Like something you have to retighten on the lamp housing to prevent it shaking?

Any time one car is different than another I look for the human factor... now if that lady had a uniform :-)

Last edited by davepl; 04-17-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:51 AM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I noticed it when it was new. hadn't lately, must be use to it.
Been talked of before.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eadlights.html
Old 04-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,023 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Default Shaky tail light

No headlight dance, but my rear drivers side tail light has atleast two screws missing. The dealer confirmed this (you can see the empty holes though the louvered fascia, and it moved quite a bit) but said a fix would require completely removing the bumper to access the mounting screws from behind.

On my own, I was able to remove the carbon flash fascia around the tail light (thanks YouTube!) and painstakingly attached one of the missing screws. This reduced the tail light movement significantly. While I can not reach the third, I have decided I do not want the bumper removed for fear of paint damage or lingering squeaks.

Other than this tail light, it's one of (if not the) tightest, quietest and most solid Corvettes I've owned. It would drive me bat sh*t if pursuit of one screw generated a nuisance squeak.

Gratefully it is not a light that I actively see while driving, so my OCD is going to have to take a back seat on this one.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:41 PM
1qck6
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Mine seem solid. Weird that its car to car.

When I watched the "How's it made" one of the last things they do is align the headlights. There's not something they could forget to "lock back down" when they're done, is there? Like something you have to retighten on the lamp housing to prevent it shaking?

Any time one car is different than another I look for the human factor... now if that lady had a uniform :-)
Good point sir!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:30 PM
spindoctor
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
The headlight "light" as it illuminates the roadway shakes and dances on the road surface independent of the vehicle motion any time I drive over an imperfection in the roadway surface.

My experience is that only the left headlight does this, right side is good.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that the cutoff line on these lights is VERY crisp, so if you're not used to LED or good HID, you might be surprised. It will then -look- like it's moving a lot more than it would if it were a "blurry" cutoff line.

Doesn't mean it's not annoying though.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:06 PM
1qck6
Instructor

Mine seems to only be doing it on the drivers side as well. It's definitely moving from hitting bumps & it shakes badly.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I have tried to look for this at night to see what everyone is talking about but simply don't see it in my 16Z. As previously mentioned, when the car hits a bump or dip the lights do move and the Projector Cut-off is much more noticeable than a car with halogens so maybe that is what people see? The bulb should not "float" in the housing in any way that allows it to move around uncontrollably.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
One thing to keep in mind is that the cutoff line on these lights is VERY crisp, so if you're not used to LED or good HID, you might be surprised. It will then -look- like it's moving a lot more than it would if it were a "blurry" cutoff line.

Doesn't mean it's not annoying though.
I've driven many cars with HIDs and only one with LED lighting.
All were Acura vehicles and the TSX has some of the best damn headlights I've ever had the pleasure of using. A razor sharp perfectly cut cutoff line that seems to slice the road where it intersects. I am used to that light dancing off the road what seems like a half mile away in response to me going over bumps but that "dance" is always in a vertical line with the headlight, never side to side. With my Z06, the light moves side to side in addition to vertically away from the car. So it's almost moving in a circular pattern.

Originally Posted by fleming23
I have tried to look for this at night to see what everyone is talking about but simply don't see it in my 16Z. As previously mentioned, when the car hits a bump or dip the lights do move and the Projector Cut-off is much more noticeable than a car with halogens so maybe that is what people see? The bulb should not "float" in the housing in any way that allows it to move around uncontrollably.

I duplicated this light dance with the highs on as well so the cover isn't what is causing this issue. It almost seems as if fender when going over bumps is transferring motion to the headlight and thus, the light.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Bulbs are loose in housing or filaments not attached in bulb good.
Take wheel off remove cover and check bulb socketsgoinginto head lights. It is possible that more than one car experience this say a whole run of lights made it out of supplier this way.
z51vett
Doug
The following users liked this post:
Hawkerpilot62 (08-28-2020)
Old 04-18-2016, 12:10 PM
1qck6
Instructor

Originally Posted by z51vett
Bulbs are loose in housing or filaments not attached in bulb good.
Take wheel off remove cover and check bulb socketsgoinginto head lights. It is possible that more than one car experience this say a whole run of lights made it out of supplier this way.
z51vett
Doug
It does seem strange that we are only a few with these problems. My light bounces several times after hitting a big dingle bump. It will continue to "bounce" even when the car has stabilized.
The following users liked this post:
z51vett (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Given the relatively small number of affected vehicles and my personal experience with GM as well as GM's general position of defects, ie: ignition problems, I am not hopeful of them actually fixing this in my Z06. I just won't drive at night or I might be tempted to fix it myself only to have GM void my factory and ESP warranties. Nothing like getting thanked for doing someone else's job.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Shake

Old 07-30-2016, 09:16 AM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

I've noticed the headlights on my '16 do this very same shaky dance. Has anyone found a solution to tighten the fixtures?
Old 07-30-2016, 11:47 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

My car (14) has some headlight jitter. I think it is simply some flex in the bodywork. My light housings are nice and tight. My last car (not a Vette) had pop up headlights and some jitter was inherent in that design so I'm kind of used to it. Perhaps this was noticed in design but the cost and weight penalty made addressing it a non starter. Not sure if that was the best decision as these type of things are what often define "quality". My P car friend noted his car does not do this. Then again, I don't have intermittent warning lights that come on/off for no reason.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Mycoolsteel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Luck?

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to see if anyone ever figured out a solution to this. I just picked up a 16 model yesterday and it has the driver side dancing headlight. It’s very annoying and I’m hoping there is an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Headlight Shake