C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 to GT-R or GT-R to Z06 members - I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 12:03 PM
MK4sup_isF
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought about the GTR for about a minute, the performance is incredible but I can't get over how high and large the car sits. It is larger and taller than my Lexus ISF sedan. Had it sized around the Vette, I would put more consideration into it.

My search with the current 90k OTD budget, I narrowed it down to the C7 Z06. Currently searching for Z07 package comp seats used, or a 2LZ new 16. The Z06 looks like a proper sport car plus I don't need a 4 seaters.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:16 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

I have been fortunate enough to own both and to take my GTR to a reasonably high modding level (Alpha 16) and I think some of the comments here are accurate and others may have alternatives depending on a persons experience.

There is no doubt that a GTR - overall - doesn't drive as smoothly or as softly as a C7 Z06. The ride on a GTR (mine is a CBA GTR - but I have a completely retuned TCM that makes it ride better than the newest DBA cars) - is okay but the clicks and whirs are still there and it hates slow movements. This car runs smoothest and best when driving fast. The softest comfort setting will get you C6 Z06 firmness in my experience. For a soft pleasant ride maybe the 2015+ cars with the Mizuno replacement engineer (which has made them all softer and slower) would be a better pick. One of the best things about my Z07 is that it can ride like a Caddy and be able to handle the track (another reason why I bought this car over a Gen 5 Viper as well). Yes you can put people in back seats in a GTR and drive it in the rain - but it's not something I personally did or do.

Now - for modding - the GTR is extremely difficult to beat. For those who site maintenance costs - it is true - but the first thing I did was get a great Builder and shop as I ended up saving money from going from Nissan to my Builder (oil changes to trans fluid changes). People always scream "warranty!" But I personally had found that bell housings and other wear items are easily sourced and replaced and if I needed a trans piece - I simply upgraded anyway. A FBO car is reasonably quick - low 10's at 130-135 MPH depending on fuel and how it's tuned. Personally I think Alpha 10 level is the best all round setup for spool and performance (A12's with 4.2 or 4.1 setups can also spool well and give even greater performance). The best thing about the performance is that is usable. Traction with the right wheels and tires is pretty extraordinary (Toyo R888's up to mid 800-900 wheel and then DR's on the rear for 1000+).

I will see what happens with my Z07 - I am going FBO for hopefully 700+ whp as it seems that is a traction limit. And on the note of wheels and tires - I found that there was only ONE DR - MT ET Street S/S - that fits for the stock 20" wheels. Stock SC2's I don't know if they can handle extra power - I have both so I will let everyone know. In general - and it's not a news flash - don't expect the comfort and security of AWD on a RWD car. That said - I bought the Z07 for more of an exciting driving experience.

And that will be my final point - the GTR was fun don't get me wrong (especially when modded) - but being back in a manual RWD car has been far more enjoyable for me. And that is really all you can expect - a different experience.

Last edited by vtknight; 04-17-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591152311

Both of my cars were DBA's, and having ridden in CBA cars, the newer models were a step up. Understanding from reviews is that Nissan has softened the cars up over the last few years. But that's a heavy car, and I'm not sure that works well on-track. Although it would be better in a daily.
S.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:28 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

How about this. Keep the Z06. Sell the Lexus and pick up an E39 M5. It's essentially the greatest sedan ever made. Yes the CTSV is newer and faster but the M5 will be wayyyy more fun and at slower safer speeds. Plus depending on how the market goes and if you don't have any large repairs you may make money once you sell it. There are a lot of great cars out there and the best ones aren't the new ones.

Ps CTS-V wagon manual ???

New cars are, sadly, relatively boring when compared to the cars of even ten years ago.

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 04-17-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:29 PM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
I have been fortunate enough to own both and to take my GTR to a reasonably high modding level (Alpha 16) and I think some of the comments here are accurate and others may have alternatives depending on a persons experience.

There is no doubt that a GTR - overall - doesn't drive as smoothly or as softly as a C7 Z06. The ride on a GTR (mine is a CBA GTR - but I have a completely retuned TCM that makes it ride better than the newest DBA cars) - is okay but the clicks and whirs are still there and it hates slow movements. This car runs smoothest and best when driving fast. The softest comfort setting will get you C6 Z06 firmness in my experience. For a soft pleasant ride maybe the 2015+ cars with the Mizuno replacement engineer (which has made them all softer and slower) would be a better pick. One of the best things about my Z07 is that it can ride like a Caddy and be able to handle the track (another reason why I bought this car over a Gen 5 Viper as well). Yes you can put people in back seats in a GTR and drive it in the rain - but it's not something I personally did or do.

Now - for modding - the GTR is extremely difficult to beat. For those who site maintenance costs - it is true - but the first thing I did was get a great Builder and shop as I ended up saving money from going from Nissan to my Builder (oil changes to trans fluid changes). People always scream "warranty!" But I personally had found that bell housings and other wear items are easily sourced and replaced and if I needed a trans piece - I simply upgraded anyway. A FBO car is reasonably quick - low 10's at 130-135 MPH depending on fuel and how it's tuned. Personally I think Alpha 10 level is the best all round setup for spool and performance (A12's with 4.2 or 4.1 setups can also spool well and give even greater performance). The best thing about the performance is that is usable. Traction with the right wheels and tires is pretty extraordinary (Toyo R888's up to mid 800-900 wheel and then DR's on the rear for 1000+).

I will see what happens with my Z07 - I am going FBO for hopefully 700+ whp as it seems that is a traction limit. And on the note of wheels and tires - I found that there was only ONE DR - MT ET Street S/S - that fits for the stock 20" wheels. Stock SC2's I don't know if they can handle extra power - I have both so I will let everyone know. In general - and it's not a news flash - don't expect the comfort and security of AWD on a RWD car. That said - I bought the Z07 for more of an exciting driving experience.

And that will be my final point - the GTR was fun don't get me wrong (especially when modded) - but being back in a manual RWD car has been far more enjoyable for me. And that is really all you can expect - a different experience.
Agree 100%
Old 04-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Originally Posted by vtknight

Your experience is very high with the GTR. I have great respect for modded GTRs including the Alpha 16, calling it a beast would be an understatement. In regards to having a open wallet for mods I would go with a GTR all day. In regards to daily driving and keeping costs down I don't think a GTR is practical. I also did a tremendous amount of research to include several opinions from those who owned it and I was mind blown on the GTR's "TAX" to modify it. I was also quoted by boostlogic, AMS, and Switzer no less than $30k for a minor build (engine, tranny, labor, tune) and $60k+ minimum for a fully built 1000hp build. Again, the car is amazing but you've got to be kidding for the price it cost to play with it.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:43 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by Destrukt
Your experience is very high with the GTR. I have great respect for modded GTRs including the Alpha 16, calling it a beast would be an understatement. In regards to having a open wallet for mods I would go with a GTR all day. In regards to daily driving and keeping costs down I don't think a GTR is practical. I also did a tremendous amount of research to include several opinions from those who owned it and I was mind blown on the GTR's "TAX" to modify it. I was also quoted by boostlogic, AMS, and Switzer no less than $30k for a minor build (engine, tranny, labor, tune) and $60k+ minimum for a fully built 1000hp build. Again, the car is amazing but you've got to be kidding for the price it cost to play with it.
This is true for the most part. I was sponsored for both my builds (I was one of the first Switzer R1K's and my buddy went on his own for an AMS shop where I did the Alpha 16 - so that helped a great deal). I also had a lot of extra gear that only the really build front mount turbo builds now have (I was a tester car) - mechanical fuel pump and dry sump oil system to name a few.

That said - it is expensive but that is relative. You want a UGR car and that makes GTR builds look cheap.

The one thing about the GTR builds is that they are extremely drivable. My A16 - although spool is spool so it's not meant for a road course - drove just as smooth and quietly as my car when stock. I had bypasses so my exhaust was even quiet until I hit it. It was even good on gas lol - provided you drove like a gentleman. And to be able to drive to the track and run a low 8 at 173+ MPH and drive home - is hard to beat. It's a straight line car to be sure - but rolling boost has ended the spool concern so it is a serious street car.

RWD - are in my opinion - much more exciting to drive - but it's also more of a challenge to mod and get the power down (although in general much cheaper). So you have to look at what it is you want and how much you are ready to spend.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Sell the Lexus and trade the Z06 in for a brand new CTS V. Same LT4 engine as the Z06, 4 doors, and can be daily driven.
The V can't be beat when it comes to meeting the OPs goals. It is also a great car to travel in. A couple of years ago I took a friend to NASA HPDE/Race at Pocono. While there I got him a ride with an instructor who had a CTS-V time trial car. After he got back I asked him how he liked the ride and he grumbled, "160 mph on the Long Pond Straight in a Damned Cadillac, it was great."

Bill
Old 04-17-2016, 02:11 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettemonster
Almost all negative views of the GTR come from test drivers - just sayin...
One could read that as "it sucks, but you get used to it". I don't know I've ever seen one, let alone owned one, or ridden in one, or test driven one. So what is it that takes time to get over that test drivers don't like?

That's not a passive-aggressive slam, like I said, never been in one. Also never been in a Porsche or a C3 Corvette!

I was actually the first response on this post, suggesting the CTS-V, but I deleted it because he specifically said he didn't want to hear about other cars. Then 10 more posts came in after I deleted my suggestion saying the same thing!

Last edited by davepl; 04-17-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:22 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
One could read that as "it sucks, but you get used to it". I don't know I've ever seen one, let alone owned one, or ridden in one, or test driven one. So what is it that takes time to get over that test drivers don't like?

That's not a passive-aggressive slam, like I said, never been in one. Also never been in a Porsche or a C3 Corvette!

I was actually the first response on this post, suggesting the CTS-V, but I deleted it because he specifically said he didn't want to hear about other cars. Then 10 more posts came in after I deleted my suggestion saying the same thing!
Again - I think the main point is that these are two different cars; AWD vs RWD - the CTSV is an option - but it's another RWD car so power and performance are much more difficult to reach in the V as control and traction are still an issue. 60K for 1000 awhp is actually fairly accurate and that will by you a low 9 second - even high 8 second car at about 155-160 MPH. And it will be consistent over and over again with no real issues.

Comfort? No. But performance that most 1300+ whp RWD cars can't touch.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Good threads and opinions, the other important "change" to instantly improve the GTR's ride, is switching to Michelin pilot super sports! The oem run flats are bone jarring, that's for sure.

Also, agreed the exhaust note is soft, but a mid pipe changes that.

If you need back seats, I'm still a vote for the GTR. The caddy a runner up, as it's not as quick, but a bit roomier.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave,
you are making think about getting a GTR. Stop it.

-WGT

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
Good threads and opinions, the other important "change" to instantly improve the GTR's ride, is switching to Michelin pilot super sports! The oem run flats are bone jarring, that's for sure.

Also, agreed the exhaust note is soft, but a mid pipe changes that.

If you need back seats, I'm still a vote for the GTR. The caddy a runner up, as it's not as quick, but a bit roomier.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 04-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mazeroth
Hey all, I have a 2015 Z06 and love every minute of it. Had a 2008 Z06 for 5 years before that. I don't have any complaints on the car itself just my current situation which I'd like to improved. I have two kids in car seats so I drive a 1998 Lexus most of the time with them (3-4 times a week). I only get to drive the vette 1-2 times a week and I think that sucks.

I was thinking of selling the old Lexus and trading the vette in for a 2015 GT-R. It has back seats that fit car seats and kids. If I did this, I could drive the GT-R every day. I assume the vette and the GT-R will be comparable in performance. I'm not professional driver but do enjoy going to the mountains here and there.

I haven't driven a GT-R (going to go test drive some) and know it's a nice car but I feel the vette is such a great car that I can't help thinking I'll regret getting rid of it. I know it's all personal opinion but it might help to hear from some members that made the transition one way or the other, why, and if they are happy with their choice.

PS: I'm not too worried about maintenance on either being dailies - I rather drive and enjoy the car every day. I've heard and read many opinions from people about the GT-R that have never driven one so I rather hear from people that have. And I'm not really looking to get another car other than the GT-R if you were thinking of recommening another car . Thanks!
If you will never mod, are a warranty fanatic, then keep what you have. IMO, a mildy modded GTR is just awesome and the the more you spend the better it gets!!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Jasil
If you will never mod, are a warranty fanatic, then keep what you have. IMO, a mildy modded GTR is just awesome and the the more you spend the better it gets!!

I grew up near Slidell. Gause Blvd FTW.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:55 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Just take a moment and note how all (or most all) of the GTR converts to Z06's won't belittle the GTR. I already posted my opinion of both the cars and I still think both are top notch machines. The GTR is a purpose built car....it was originally designed and built to beat up on the Porsches, which it violently did when it first was released. That's how the name Godzilla was coined by an Australian announcer at the track where the GTR's had just brutalized the Porsches...."this car is Godzilla!". So it's a purpose built race car that is streetable, but has it's quirks. Did you ever watch a race horse walk thru the paddock? It looks like it has a birth defect! But under a gallop, they are poetry in motion. Sure, the GTR's transmission makes all kinds of noises, hell that's no secret....but the slightest pressure on the accelerator (like half throttle) and she just jumps and snaps off gears in micro seconds. Runs at high RPMs in 6th speed....yep, sure does, your at 2700 rpm at 75 mph, but she'll give you 26 MPG on a flat road at that speed, and you should live so long as that engine will at higher RPM's. I love my new Z06...but I still love my GTR, it's just a different car. And I had way too many to count pictures taken of that car and guys drooling all over it. Just go to the GTR Forum and lurk around....negative comments within the family, a few, but most everyone of them still love that car. This ain't like cheating on your wife....it's OK to like another car and still like your Z06.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:00 AM
mazeroth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the feedback and have new things to consider.
  • I need to test drive a few and pay attention to the low rpm transmission noises and make sure it's not something that will drive me crazy.
  • I assumed the maintenance on the GT-R might be similar to the vette but sounds like I should maybe find out how much I'm really looking at spending on maintenance vs the vette.
  • I have a couple good performance shops around that do great work with GT-R's so I would take the car there and not the dealer unless it was warranty work
  • I'm not really interested in other cars - it's either keep the old lexus and vette or replace both for the GT-R
  • Not really interested in modding at first - and if I do I'm not going too big, maybe 600 whp.
  • Resale seems to suck for both based on the prices I've been seeing. Three 2015 GT-R Black editions 20 miles from me for 75k. Millage between 13k-15k.

I think both cars look good to me so not worried there and I do like the way the vette sounds better than the stock GT-R but I'm sure that can be tweaked as well. My goal is to make sure I don't put myself in a situation I'll regret and I'm feeling more comfortable about the transition if I can find a good 2015 GT-R with low millage priced right.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Maintenance is not an issue with '14 and newer cars (maybe '13).

Changing the oil is as easy as changing it on the corvette, remove one undertray, and you have access to the filter and drain plug.

Trans and other fluids are now good for 36K miles.

The only fluid I recommend changing a bit more frequent is the front diff, it get's worked hard... only uses one quart... has a simple drain and fill plug, I've done mine twice in 7,000 miles since so easy. But I have a 4 post lift in the garage.

Best Regards,
Dave

Originally Posted by mazeroth
I really appreciate all the feedback and have new things to consider.
  • I need to test drive a few and pay attention to the low rpm transmission noises and make sure it's not something that will drive me crazy.
  • I assumed the maintenance on the GT-R might be similar to the vette but sounds like I should maybe find out how much I'm really looking at spending on maintenance vs the vette.
  • I have a couple good performance shops around that do great work with GT-R's so I would take the car there and not the dealer unless it was warranty work
  • I'm not really interested in other cars - it's either keep the old lexus and vette or replace both for the GT-R
  • Not really interested in modding at first - and if I do I'm not going too big, maybe 600 whp.
  • Resale seems to suck for both based on the prices I've been seeing. Three 2015 GT-R Black editions 20 miles from me for 75k. Millage between 13k-15k.

I think both cars look good to me so not worried there and I do like the way the vette sounds better than the stock GT-R but I'm sure that can be tweaked as well. My goal is to make sure I don't put myself in a situation I'll regret and I'm feeling more comfortable about the transition if I can find a good 2015 GT-R with low millage priced right.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 to GT-R or GT-R to Z06 members - I need advice

Old 04-18-2016, 02:58 AM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

2018 is when the totally redesigned GT-R is slated to come out. That will likely be my next car. Godzilla on steroids. The vette I agree is more "fun" to drive, but that gets tiresome at times, always fighting to drive a car. The GT-R is there when you want to fight and is much more passive if you don't. The GT-R is just rock solid and can easily be a daily drive much more easily and yet still eat most anything on the read. I cant wait to see the 2018. Even 2009 GT-R's are selling in the low $60K mark still and they did not even break the 100K mark then. Great resale and even better if you get one used.

Last edited by RajeeK; 04-18-2016 at 02:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tzoid9 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 03:05 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by RajeeK
2018 is when the totally redesigned GT-R is slated to come out. That will likely be my next car. Godzilla on steroids. The vette I agree is more "fun" to drive, but that gets tiresome at times, always fighting to drive a car. The GT-R is there when you want to fight and is much more passive if you don't. The GT-R is just rock solid and can easily be a daily drive much more easily and yet still eat most anything on the read. I cant wait to see the 2018. Even 2009 GT-R's are selling in the low $60K mark still and they did not even break the 100K mark then. Great resale and even better if you get one used.
I heard the next GTR with the hybrid powertrain is coming out more like 2020 with 150K base price.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM
RajeeK
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I heard the next GTR with the hybrid powertrain is coming out more like 2020 with 150K base price.
Top Gear was reporting 2018 which seems like proper refresh time based on its 2009 release.

Quick Reply: Z06 to GT-R or GT-R to Z06 members - I need advice