C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 to GT-R or GT-R to Z06 members - I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 12:42 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No, the Nissan engines are all smooth as glass. I was talking about my old Camaro vibrating in reference to cruising at high RPM's. The 911's, AMG's, and the Z06 ride qualities are much less punishing than the GTR. I was just trying to get across my feelings of how raw & crude Godzilla is. However, the technology in the GTR is simply just mind boggling. As I previous stated I love Nissan. My first new car was a 1990 TT 300Z that I simply adored.

That new Z28 you have is a real beauty & a serious performer no doubt. GM just flat out priced that car way, way too high. The Z28 is what lured me back to GM after my C6 Z06 engine woes. I thought to myself, I can get a new Z06 for just a few grand more than this Camaro?! If i could afford them all, I would have a GTR & a new Tesla P90 just to snap my neck into shape occasionally. That AWD launch does feel really impressive!!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:04 AM
T-Z06-J
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettemonster
lol, yes I do.

People who haven't touched a GTR wheel while pressing the accelerator don't qualify for a legit "review"...my best guess is this probably fits you.
Isn't that what a test drive is my friend?!? People test drive cars to form an opinion about the car. Obviously an opinion from someone that owns the vehicle carries more weight. But you cannot discredit someone's opinion about a car after a test drive because that is the whole purpose of a test drive.

Before I bought my Z06 a coworker let me test drive his 14 GTR in his effort to sway me into becoming his GTR buddy. However, I never even considered purchasing it because I just could not get over how unattractive it was.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:22 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Lol, I agree. I fell for them primarily from reading all the incredible acceleration specs. I was able to overlook the "blandness" due to the "near exotic" performance & my love for Nissan. Five of my immediate family & my girlfriend all thought I was nuts considering an "ugly Nissan." "Why on earth would I prefer it over a C7Z or a 911" they all asked. My 15 year old "ricer" nephew was, however, on the fence lol.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:23 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 1qck6
No, the Nissan engines are all smooth as glass. I was talking about my old Camaro vibrating in reference to cruising at high RPM's. The 911's, AMG's, and the Z06 ride qualities are much less punishing than the GTR. I was just trying to get across my feelings of how raw & crude Godzilla is. However, the technology in the GTR is simply just mind boggling. As I previous stated I love Nissan. My first new car was a 1990 TT 300Z that I simply adored.

That new Z28 you have is a real beauty & a serious performer no doubt. GM just flat out priced that car way, way too high. The Z28 is what lured me back to GM after my C6 Z06 engine woes. I thought to myself, I can get a new Z06 for just a few grand more than this Camaro?! If i could afford them all, I would have a GTR & a new Tesla P90 just to snap my neck into shape occasionally. That AWD launch does feel really impressive!!
I gotcha, now

Yea, GTR is very raw, but great in its own right as you indicated.

LOL, Tesla's are neck-snapping. Buddy of mine has one, and 0-60 it's comically fast for having "no engine".

I agree about getting the Z06 for a "few grand more" than the Camaro, but when I saw the black Z/28 amongst 3 brand new, beautiful Z06's last weekend, I couldn't believe my eyes kept spontaneously wandering back to the Z/28. Never in my life did I ever think I would walk out of a Chevy dealership purchasing a Camaro over a Z06, ever! But the Z/28 was too good to pass up for the price, or 24K discount:

1. Incredibly comfortable - even more leg width room than my daily 2013..I was shocked.
2. Sits high, like a regular car, which is nice every once in a while.
3. LS7, with the fixed valve guide issues.
4. Multimatic suspension and one-of-a-kind Alcoa wheels.
5. Buttery smooth transmission
6. Awesome exhaust sounds
7. Wide and menacing looking
8. Analog...VERY analog - which is much appreciated in these days of everything high tech.

I figured, I can get this awesome, undervalued Z/28 beast and pick up a 2016 Z06 in a year or two (perhaps 3) when they in-turn go through their depreciation curve and, in turn, become undervalued.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:27 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Agreed! I had a Z28 come up behind me the other day and it looked so mean & wide with the ground effects. Gorgeous ride! Was ticked off I was in the Infiniti, ugh.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:45 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

lol, yes I do.

People who haven't touched a GTR wheel while pressing the accelerator don't qualify for a legit "review"...my best guess is this probably fits you.
I drove the GTR, 10 laps around the DreamCars track in Vegas. I drove the car as hard as it was designed for. I didn't test drive a dealers car on city streets. I found the car to be unimaginative, underwhelming and mediocre. I'm not speaking about the cars numbers or specs, just in how it looks, is ergonomically setup and how it feels in the drivers seat as you push the car to its limits.

It reminds me of Nissan's ad campaigns for the other earlier 4DSC.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:57 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by T-Z06-J
Isn't that what a test drive is my friend?!? People test drive cars to form an opinion about the car. Obviously an opinion from someone that owns the vehicle carries more weight. But you cannot discredit someone's opinion about a car after a test drive because that is the whole purpose of a test drive.

Before I bought my Z06 a coworker let me test drive his 14 GTR in his effort to sway me into becoming his GTR buddy. However, I never even considered purchasing it because I just could not get over how unattractive it was.
Well, if you immediately captured your dislike for the GTR after test driving it a few times, then that's what you concluded.

Yea, more than any other car, I've found that people dig the way the GTR looks or hate it altogether. I personally think it looks pretty cool and different unlike the over-the-top GTR obsessive types on the GTRLIFE that live, eat, sh*t GTR 24/7. I got rid of mine simply because Nissan was horrible at servicing the car and after receiving a call one Friday afternoon from the Nissan general service manager indicating that they had busted my front windshield accidentally and they would replace it at no cost, and since it wouldn't be ready until Monday, he asked if he could take the car home for the weekend - with the cracked windshield and all - since he felt it wouldn't be safe sitting at the dealership. I simply told him hell no. I mean, the thing was hopped up to 620 AWHP and was a nasty, violent b***h of a car, to say the least, and was not taking on any possible liabilities whatsoever with some yahoo - I didn't even know - driving it for the weekend...geez

So in essence, I couldn't justify the maintenance costs for the crappy level of customer service I kept receiving from not one, but two local dealerships. I do miss it's violent nature and the sounds of the blow-off valves - I may jump on the 2017 GTR a couple years down after its release. But when I sold it, I picked up a 2011 Carbon Z06 for dirt cheap relative to its MSRP of 98K...cheap like, almost 40K off!

Last edited by corvettemonster; 04-17-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:58 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I drove the GTR, 10 laps around the DreamCars track in Vegas. I drove the car as hard as it was designed for. I didn't test drive a dealers car on city streets. I found the car to be unimaginative, underwhelming and mediocre. I'm not speaking about the cars numbers or specs, just in how it looks, is ergonomically setup and how it feels in the drivers seat as you push the car to its limits.

It reminds me of Nissan's ad campaigns for the other earlier 4DSC.
Another 150 AWHP will change your perspective - besides the looks, I guess, lol
Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=1qck6;1592015268]Lol, I agree. I fell for them primarily from reading all the incredible acceleration specs. I was able to overlook the "blandness" due to the "near exotic" performance & my love for Nissan. Five of my immediate family & my girlfriend all thought I was nuts considering an "ugly Nissan." "Why on earth would I prefer it over a C7Z or a 911" they all asked. My 15 year old "ricer" nephew was, however, on the fence lol.[/QUOTE

lol, yea the younger guys are definitely on this car like white on rice, lol

Last edited by corvettemonster; 04-17-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:13 AM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Hahaha, I'm 27 and I definitely didn't fall for the GT-R though. Until the C7 came out, I did think I'd like the GT-R more than the Corvette growing up. Another, coincidentally Asian, young friend of mine also similarly loves the looks and sounds of the Stingray more than the GT-R too.

GM sure did something right getting younger folks to like the Vette.

Last edited by graj6; 04-17-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:15 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

[QUOTE=corvettemonster;1592015352]

That is hysterical.

The four seats are why I considered the GTR, that and the all wheel drive. Being able to not shy away from rain would have been a very big plus and I was motivated to not buy another GM vehicle after my sour interaction with GM regarding my Enclave.

I would have LOVED sending the Customer Service Supervisor a copy of the bill of sale for a GTR because a copy would have been sent to every email at GM I could find stating why GM lost a sale.

For me, the Vette won out.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:58 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

The GTR is so dam old, yet it holds value, and people still talk about it.

The corvette is probably the more fun car to own. Specially if you are a fan of the manual.

The GTR is probably the better car to drive on the roads everyday. Given the choice between a new GTR and a new Z06. I am probably getting the GTR.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeLsx:
RajeeK (04-18-2016), tzoid9 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Which car is cheaper in maintenance, easier to find mechanics that can pick up a wrench and work on it, and extremely cheaper on insurance? Not to mention the horrible chance of getting a bell housing issue. The GTR is old and clunky. Good luck finding a reliable Nissan Tech to touch it during service and be ready to empty your pocket book for an oil change. Practical as a daily driver? Maybe just the back seats and trunk. Go to the GTR forums and look at how many people complain about the cabin noise, lack of interior upgrades, and the DCT that "must" be driven in manual mode. 99% of the GTR owners can't stand to drive it in automatic mode because the tranny is jerky. If you're really interested I would wait and see how well the new 2017 GTR refresh does in the reviews.

I have driven multiple GTRs (borrowed) from friends. A FBO w/ E85 and stock DBA. I drove two new Z06's and my first impression was this car over the GTR any day. I thought the GTR was fun to drive until I drove the Z.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Look into the maintenance on a GTR & it will make your head spin. Daily driving a GTR will wear that wallet out! As was mentioned, even finding techs that can work on them is tough unless you are in a large city. The GTR is DEFINITELY in the exotic car class on maintenance expenses . As mentioned earlier, Gtrlife is a great site to study the cars. I would def spend time lurking there if your serious. They are serious machines no doubt, and are not for everybody.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

At the end of the day, the GTR is a cult car - so much so that there are GTR fanatics that rather pay 45K for a wrecked GTR than 5K for pristine, no stories C6 Z06. I was in the middle, had one for 5 years, then I was done with it - mainly due to lack of dealership customer service and the 1 tech GTR per dealership model BS.

I bought one mainly as I was impressed that Nissan was able to put out a car from the get-go and basically blow everything out of the water - performance wise - not to mention out of the whole, 0-60mph.

I was one of those early ones that bought a brand new one for 66K, so I had to get my hands on one and tear up the streets - and it did it very well!

Everyone has to admit that when the GTR came out, it made fanboys of every other car model shiver a bit when sitting next to eat at a stand-still...lol.

It's been out 7 years already, it basically looks and performs the same, so the curiosity/excitement or whatever, has faded.

However, no one can deny that the introduction of the GTR, in part, has made all other car manufacturers up their game big time at look at where we're now...the true golden area of cars and I f•••••n dig it!!

Last edited by corvettemonster; 04-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Good point monster! Before the GTR, you had to spend $250K + for similar acceleration! We now have Hellcats, ZL1's, Z06's, 700 horse Shelbys, Tesla rockets, etc

Last edited by 1qck6; 04-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:14 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Good point monster! Before the GTR, you had to spend $250K + for similar acceleration! We now have Hellcats, ZL1's, Z06's, 700 horse Shelbys, Tesla rockets, etc
on point, brother

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 to GT-R or GT-R to Z06 members - I need advice

Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

You need/want back seats so get the GTR. I'd rather drive a sporty practical car than to push around a '90s dinosaur.
Opinions are just that, you always see alot of cheer team action on these threads. If you test drive multiple cars and experience the same negative or positive things owning the car for 40-100 miles isn't going to magically fix nuisance items.
Everyone has different standards, go test drive one, and if money isn't a problem get the '17.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:06 AM
umatac1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is my take: I went to my Nissan dealership and the manager loved my Z06-so he took it on a drive and freaked out his words "power all the time" and we laughed the whole time just driving. I took the GTR with my wife; my wife said "this thing sounds like a washing machine-is something wrong with it?". I like the GTR and I want one later-used. I like AWD and the vehicle construction is superb. I am a big time Nissan fan-our local dealership is awesome.

Regarding the OP desire for rear seats, I think the GTR is a good choice and you got the added benefit of owning a monster on the road. I highly recommend it.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:22 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Don't knock a good old luxury beater now! I love parking my Infiniti up front at Walmart now.

Quick Reply: Z06 to GT-R or GT-R to Z06 members - I need advice