C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Front Splash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:29 PM
gshirst1
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front Splash Guards

Am researching front splash guards. I have looked at ACS Composite offerings and Apsis offerings. I have been told the OEM guards from GM are not wide enough to cover the exposed body panels and rear brake duct intake. Anyone have any experience with these or others and can offer some words of wisdom? I have the carbon flash ground effects package. Also, are the rear guards really necessary

Last edited by gshirst1; 03-30-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Hit Apex
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gshirst1
Am researching front splash guards. I have looked at ACS Composite offerings and Apsis offerings. I have been told the OEM guards from GM are not wide enough to cover the exposed body panels and rear brake duct intake. Anyone have any experience with these or others and can offer some words of wisdom? I have the carbon flash ground effects package. Also, are the rear guards really necessary

I have Z07 stage 3 aero (side skirts) and put on the OEM front and rear splash guards. They do a decent job, but it's not perfect, particularly if you intend to track the car. I still have some pitting on the rear quarters above/in front of the rear wheel.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:39 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

The C6 Z06's had the same problem---the front tires are wider than the car. End result is that the road debris gets thrown up against the car. Several years ago a Z06 owner told me about the Apsis guards---I have used them ever since and have had no road debris issues at all on 3 Z's and some 25,000 miles. One Z had the side rocker panels, two did not.

Last I read on this Forum was that only the Apsis guards are wider then the tires. Please note, I also do recall one post where someone said they still got damage even with the Apsis guards, but in all the years of reading about this, he seemed to be the exception.

Best of luck to you with this-----it is just a shame GM hasn't properly addressed this after all these years.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM
fastgts
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the ACS guards and no side skirts. At 2000 miles the rear brake ducts still look fine. The ducts do get some mud splashes on them from time to time so I'll assume rocks could still get thrown back there but so far so good. I went with the ACS guards because I like the looks of them better than the Apsis ones.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Search "splash" or something similar in this section and you have all the info you can handle.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

What kind of money we talking here.
z51vett
Doug
Old 04-08-2016, 07:49 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by z51vett
What kind of money we talking here.
z51vett
Doug

Which product do you want the price for?
Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Low Ufo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have APSIS splash guards front and rear. Nice and wide. No problems (so far). Expensive but worth it.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:22 AM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought the Apsis ones a couple of weeks ago. They look like they'll do a lot better job protecting than the OEM guards and they're not bad looking.

Here's a thread from the C7 forum from a couple of days ago on the same topic:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...sh-guards.html
Old 04-08-2016, 08:57 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Which product do you want the price for?
I thought this post was about splash guards did I miss something.
z51vett
Doug
Old 04-08-2016, 09:10 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by z51vett
I thought this post was about splash guards did I miss something.
z51vett
Doug
Prices vary between manufacturers and fronts vs. back.

Semper Fi 1966-69
Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by gshirst1
I have the ACS splash guards in the front. Rears are not necessary. The guards could be a little wider but the biggest problem is they only drop down to the level of the side skirt and do not go below it. This leaves a direct line of sight path for the tire to throw debris tangentially into the rear quarter right past the side skirt. If you have side skirts one way to fix the problem is to RTV some cut up generic plastic mud guard to the bottom of the side skirt and fill in that gap. Once you can't see a direct line from the tire to the quarter panels you have solved the problem. If you want to check on your car take your smart phone and insert the camera lens inside the rear brake duct and aim at the front tire where it touches the ground. If the picture shows the tire touching the ground you haven't blocked the debris path. Simple and straight forward and there may be only one product on the market that stops the debris. I saw it in another thread a couple of days ago where somebody asked about some eBay MudGuards which looked they did the job but were way to expensive.

Bill
Old 04-09-2016, 09:27 AM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Gm Rears. Put Xpel behind the wheel. there's a small area of paint that will pick up a few chips.

ACS fronts are beautiful in design. Look totally factory and do protect the front edge of the side skirts. But do not go below as Bill states. So far, so good.

I also added the ACS side skirts. This is when I could start hearing all kind of objects being picked up by the tread and thrown underneath the car. Before I didn't hear a lot at all. It's the side skirts keeping the debris from the side of the car.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Here is what happens with ACS Mud Guards and Side Skirts. One picture shows the tire rubber thrown by the front wheel while I was on track last weekend. This is on the right side quarter panel. The other picture shows the ACS Mud Guard and Side Skirt on that side.

If you have ACS Mud Guards and Side Skirts and aren't getting debris hits on the sides of the car you aren't driving fast enough. While I was cleaning the car I found I was getting hits on the door above the crease and I thought the crease stopped that so I only added Expel below the crease. Now I will have to add door protection each time I go to the track or get the Expel coverage over the complete door.

Bill
Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I installed the ACS front splash guards and the gm rear splash guards on my stingray over the weekend. The quality of the ACS guards was disappointing. The molding at the bottom is poor, leaving an uneven, rather than clean, line that is visible.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM
SCOTTCM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I have ACS splash guards on the front of my Z06 It will help with some debris flying up into the door areas. I have xpel on the rocker panels and up to about the gas cap on the front of the rear quarter panels. I also added small pieces of xpel door edge strip wrapped around the front edge of the black brake vents where the xpel pre cut parts left the edge partly exposed.

I am not a fan of side skirts, but I believe they really are the right answer. If you look at the line from the bottom of the front tire and just under the splash guards you can see that the front tire can throw stones under the splash guards to hit the lower part of the rocker panels and up to about as high as the gas cap on the rear quarter panels. Since I did not go with side skirts I put on the xpel and I am hoping for the best. I just hate the sound of the tires picking up every stone and throwing them into the rocker panels and the brake vent.

I also put on GM rear splash guards (easy to install) because the OEM cover leaves a little of the painted corner exposed behind the tire and once I saw that I decided to add the rear guards and not worry about it getting dinged up.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Here is what happens with ACS Mud Guards and Side Skirts. One picture shows the tire rubber thrown by the front wheel while I was on track last weekend. This is on the right side quarter panel. The other picture shows the ACS Mud Guard and Side Skirt on that side.

If you have ACS Mud Guards and Side Skirts and aren't getting debris hits on the sides of the car you aren't driving fast enough. While I was cleaning the car I found I was getting hits on the door above the crease and I thought the crease stopped that so I only added Expel below the crease. Now I will have to add door protection each time I go to the track or get the Expel coverage over the complete door.

Bill
Stop riding the other guy's bumper, Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Splash Guards

Old 04-11-2016, 12:01 PM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by fugly1
I installed the ACS front splash guards and the gm rear splash guards on my stingray over the weekend. The quality of the ACS guards was disappointing. The molding at the bottom is poor, leaving an uneven, rather than clean, line that is visible.
I agree with this, I installed them this weekend too and wasn't pleased considering the cost. The rear GM guards were molded much better.

Now, the fit was excellent and they look good but I did think they could be molded a bit "cleaner".
Old 04-11-2016, 07:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Stop riding the other guy's bumper, Bill.
Well you do have to let them know you want a passing signal. If you fall back and ride a couple car lengths back they think you are happy being there. You have to make them think you are going to take the paint off their back bumper. Maybe I am too easy on them. I have Expel on the front fascia, I wonder how well it would hold up to giving them some love taps going down the straight?

Bill
Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Well you do have to let them know you want a passing signal. If you fall back and ride a couple car lengths back they think you are happy being there. You have to make them think you are going to take the paint off their back bumper. Maybe I am too easy on them. I have Expel on the front fascia, I wonder how well it would hold up to giving them some love taps going down the straight?

Bill
I thought you road racers just shove them out of the way. Oh, that's Nascar.

Quick Reply: Front Splash Guards