C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Lowering C7 Z07 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Ryanr206
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering C7 Z07 question

I have my car as low as it will go in the rear before the leaf spring hits the arm. Is the z07 spring different from the z06 spring? I'd like to get the car down another inch.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:25 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanr206
I have my car as low as it will go in the rear before the leaf spring hits the arm. Is the z07 spring different from the z06 spring? I'd like to get the car down another inch.
Yes, the springs that comes with the Z07 package are much stiffer and will not lower as much.

You can get aftermarket bolts to lower it more, or if you want to keep the geometry you can buy these:

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-mot...-spindles.html

I bought a set and my car is at the dealer now to have them installed tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Ryanr206
Intermediate

I think il try the regular z06 spring

My car has lowering bolts. But you can't really use them for much since the spring hits the arm

The lg spindles are nice but hard to justify the cost.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:50 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Just remember that the computer controlled suspension calibration is set for the springs you have.

Swapping the spring may cause adverse effects.

Good luck however you proceed!
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (09-22-2017)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM
Ryanr206
Intermediate

What are some coilover options?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

On our Z07 we cut the stock bushings in half also and the spring is fine. Now a tight 3 fingers from tire to fender and looks great!

If you plan to track the car I suggest not changing the spring. If you do a few here may want to buy it.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:23 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Owners who lower their Z06s are brave. Mine is stock, and it is low enough. I have to drive sideways on all driveways, and dips. So far I haven't encounter one of those semi-trucks high speed bumps.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Ryanr206
I think il try the regular z06 spring

My car has lowering bolts. But you can't really use them for much since the spring hits the arm

The lg spindles are nice but hard to justify the cost.
It's more than just lowering the car. Remember as you drop the car you start to run out of shock travel. While not as bad as the C5/6 cars you can start to run into a travel issue with the shocks which not only can cause the car to ride really harsh it can cause performance issues as well.

We do offer coil overs for the C7 too, but for those that like to retain the magnetic ride shocks of course you would loose that with coil overs.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 PM
408sbc
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
It's more than just lowering the car. Remember as you drop the car you start to run out of shock travel. While not as bad as the C5/6 cars you can start to run into a travel issue with the shocks which not only can cause the car to ride really harsh it can cause performance issues as well.
I haven't paid much attention to the lowered Z07 owner comments, but I have yet to read any comments by lowered Z06 owners about any issues related to compromised shock travel or any notice of ride difference, much less anyone calling it "harsh". Quite the opposite - most comments saying "notice no ride change". Having said that, tracking cars and related alignment and suspension issues are things best left to the experts.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 PM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
On our Z07 we cut the stock bushings in half also and the spring is fine. Now a tight 3 fingers from tire to fender and looks great!

If you plan to track the car I suggest not changing the spring. If you do a few here may want to buy it.

Mad dog, did you cut just the rear bushing or the fronts as well? Car looks great.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:52 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 408sbc
I haven't paid much attention to the lowered Z07 owner comments, but I have yet to read any comments by lowered Z06 owners about any issues related to compromised shock travel or any notice of ride difference, much less anyone calling it "harsh". Quite the opposite - most comments saying "notice no ride change". Having said that, tracking cars and related alignment and suspension issues are things best left to the experts.
That's really not the case. I am lowered all the way down on stock bolts...(not a Z07 package)...and the ride got a lot firmer than it was before lowering. It is harsh. Don't believe the bullshit you read about owners telling you otherwise...and the fronts rub ever so slightly on some bumps as well.

It is not physically even possible to lower, using the same shocks and springs and NOT harshen up the ride. You have far less suspension travel once you lower. Your springs get stiffer the more you push on them and your shocks have far less travel.

Anyone saying different is either trying to convince themselves otherwise and believes their own bullshit, or is lying.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing. She runs low, rubs, scrapes the front spoiler and sometimes even the chassis, but she looks gorgeous! I can deal with the ride harshness...

All my cars are lowered (except my Denali HD pickup, which is lifted), and they all rub, scrape etc (pickup included). That's just life when you want that look, **** with the ride height and you want to rid yourself of the ugly wheel gap!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 AM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Yes, the springs that comes with the Z07 package are much stiffer and will not lower as much.

You can get aftermarket bolts to lower it more, or if you want to keep the geometry you can buy these:

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-mot...-spindles.html

I bought a set and my car is at the dealer now to have them installed tomorrow.

Even with the LG spindles, you wont be able to get the back down as far as most ppl like. This is a 15 on LG with bottomed out stock bolts.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by cdh027
Mad dog, did you cut just the rear bushing or the fronts as well? Car looks great.
Thanks for the compliments. No we did not cut the front bushings just the rears. The front was dropped almost all the way on stock bolts and the rear did go all the way, now 3 years ago.

I read the other posts here. We lowered my car about 3 days after I took delivery of it. So I should not comment on the ride stock compared to now. I've driven it twice to FL from NY and track it often. The ride is stiff not harsh but as expected with a Z07. I run Non run flat MPSS on the street and not once have the larger than stock tires hit the inner fenders. The car so far may be the fastest at Watkins Glen International with a PB of 2.03. So I don't believe in a WG minute that lowering the car effects the handling on the track. No I do not have the DSC controller all stock except one hell of a great suspension set up, thanks AMT! Love the car

Last edited by Mad Dog 24; 08-24-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
car so far may be the fastest at Watkins Glen International with a PB of 2.03. So I don't believe in a WG minute that lowering the car effects the handling on the track. No I do not have the DSC controller all stock except one hell of a great suspension set up, thanks AMT! Love the car
​​​​​​
Hey we just make sure it works the way it's supposed to - you're the guy doing the wheelin'! Thanks for the business.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
That's really not the case. I am lowered all the way down on stock bolts...(not a Z07 package)...and the ride got a lot firmer than it was before lowering. It is harsh. Don't believe the bullshit you read about owners telling you otherwise...and the fronts rub ever so slightly on some bumps as well.

It is not physically even possible to lower, using the same shocks and springs and NOT harshen up the ride. You have far less suspension travel once you lower. Your springs get stiffer the more you push on them and your shocks have far less travel.

Anyone saying different is either trying to convince themselves otherwise and believes their own bullshit, or is lying.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing. She runs low, rubs, scrapes the front spoiler and sometimes even the chassis, but she looks gorgeous! I can deal with the ride harshness...

All my cars are lowered (except my Denali HD pickup, which is lifted), and they all rub, scrape etc (pickup included). That's just life when you want that look, **** with the ride height and you want to rid yourself of the ugly wheel gap!
I'll second this, I have a z07 and lowered it in stock bolts and it barely dropped, I mean it's almost not even noticeable. My ride absolutely was harsher unnoticed ton rifht away. Get the Lg drop spindles and lower the car the right way.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

My Z07 is lowered on Pfadt bolts, which I do not recommend. It bottoms out quite easily in the back and makes a distinct sound! I, too, couldn't justify $3K+ for the LG spindles, as I don't intend to own the car that long. So, I tolerate the occasional squeak, because I prefer the lowered look. I should mention that the gap on mine is a tick less than two fingers all the way around.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Danosonic
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered the LG's for a 2016 Z07 and they are pricey. I not only love the lowered look but on my Porsche Turbos it was a significant improvement in handling when lowered. LGM states a 1 inch lower with no impact on geometry. As this design merely replaces at a lower centerline for those that have them was a alignment tweak required and how difficult to install?

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering C7 Z07 question

Old 09-19-2017, 09:38 PM
WhiteSands
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

IMO the LG spindles on a Z07 are a must.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Danosonic
I just ordered the LG's for a 2016 Z07 and they are pricey. I not only love the lowered look but on my Porsche Turbos it was a significant improvement in handling when lowered. LGM states a 1 inch lower with no impact on geometry. As this design merely replaces at a lower centerline for those that have them was a alignment tweak required and how difficult to install?
Yes, you will need an alignment.

I was going to do the install, but my local go-to dealer did the install for me and I think he only charged me 3 hours of labor so it was a no brainer for me, and he has a nice new alignment rack and the angle tool to align the rear... Worth the install price to me.

Originally Posted by WhiteSands
IMO the LG spindles on a Z07 are a must.

18 months later and I still love these things and have zero issues.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 AM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround

Absolutely Ridiculous. I don't doubt that it rides "a lot firmer. It is harsh." You are bottoming out on everything, springs and shocks; Hell, you have no suspension!!!
_

Quick Reply: Lowering C7 Z07 question