C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by The Voice of Reason
Member since 2001, I'm a long time lurker. Your post was so ill-informed you pulled me out of retirement.
Ill informed? About what?
Again who cares? The ACR is a little faster around the track..

BIG DEAL!

The ACR with the extreme wing and boy racer look is a car I would not drive on the street." IF" I was interested in track driving or the results I'm sure I maybe be interested.
The Viper has been out with the V-10 since 1992.

I never had the desire to walk across the street to look at them.
Let alone think about driving or buying one.
Same as 99.99999 percent of the public.

Tested the Z06 is slightly faster in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
I added a little intake to bring my Z06 to 700hp

Headers and tune make 750 those are going on soon.

Now you can head back into retirement from lurking!
The following 2 users liked this post by 3 Z06ZR1:
hootowlc7 (01-08-2016), JackTripper (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1

BIG DEAL!

The ACR with the extreme wing and boy racer look is a car I would not drive on the street." IF" I was interested in track driving or the results I'm sure I maybe be interested.

This guy.....
Old 01-08-2016, 02:04 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

BIG DEAL!

You sure do post a lot about something you claim not to care anything about.
The following 2 users liked this post by fleming23:
sam90lx (01-10-2016), serpent (01-10-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

With 680 or less car sold in 2015, i think we have an opinion on what is the better all round car ?
33.000 Corvette sold
nuff said

BUT again, kudos to a formidabel track toy with license plates
The following users liked this post:
3 Z06ZR1 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What did Pobst do with PTM here!

He always needs babying with it! What did he do here and why no comment? AWD and massive aero obviously can have far less of it! He has boobed-up this issue before. And wouldn't all that drag help the Viper's 60-0?

Don't let this thing having you given up on your cars strengths, and reality!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 01-08-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:27 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason Cammisa and Jonny Lieberman are 2 very unprofessional and annoying journalists. Get rid of them already.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:30 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
With 680 or less car sold in 2015, i think we have an opinion on what is the better all round car ?
33.000 Corvette sold
nuff said

BUT again, kudos to a formidabel track toy with license plates

Wow 680 cars in 2015 sold sounds like serious competition
to the Corvette's.
Then with the price hike the sales should be less. For 2016
Remember in took a price reduction to sell them in 2015.
If they would have installed the hellcat motor and went less
radical on the wing and front. They could have been
competition instead of a spectacle.

All out track car with a huge wing! Not many will sell at 135,000
for street cars. Then only to out sprinted on the streets
and drag strips by Z06's. Which are better all around cars.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Ah NO! the butthurt is on you my friend!
In my experience, the one using an exorbitant amount of emoticons coupled with a failure to ever address any of the facts is the one who is "butthurt"

YMMV
Old 01-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,008 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Ah NO! the butthurt is on you my friend!
I had to give you a little grief...you are too serious.... Love the silver and black.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:40 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Do you realize that the Z07 splitter extension winglets and the rear clear center spoiler piece are also not recommended for street use, by GM? Someone recently posted a dealer make-ready inspection sheet and proved this. Those items are not supposed to be installed for street use. Fact. Silly? Sure, but you brought it up. You might also find it amusing that the ACR big-*** wing isn't visible through the rear hatch, it is actually less obtrusive to visibility than the TA spoiler, and the Z07 spoiler. Also, your use of "streetable" is also a subjective opinion.
That dealer was mis-informed. Mine, as well as ~90% of Z07 owners, have theirs on as well; installed by the dealer at PDI.

I did however remove the clear wickerbill as it was difficult to see out of the rear. I like the look better too.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:42 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
The Ford GT is going to destroy both of these cars. I've heard from a little birdie that Ford and Ganassi testing of the GT at Sebring produced :57's. And the car isn't even fully sorted for qualifying.
I wouldn't be surprised to see an out-of-the-box car on stock tires run sub-teens.
S.
In professional racing? I'm sure of it. The car is built to fit regulations.

On the road? Not so much. Ford has decided to go with a fairly small engine. I don't believe they have the best heads in the business or turbo technology. Restricted to only 91 octane the GT's engine is going to be a huge drawback. In racing...not so much. Good fuel and unlimited cam profiles will make for good power.

This is not a car Ford built for its customers. It built it for its brand and winning races. Not the same thing in my book.

Originally Posted by LEE427
The TA's handicap at Laguna Seca is it's smaller (4 piston) brakes. If Dodge put the same size brakes on the TA like what is on the ACR. You would see 1:32's lap times easy. Maybe quicker. The brakes were always undersized on the Viper. Until the new ACR..
Great point for us attending track days, doing 12+ laps in a session. Not much of a point for Motor Trend competitions. Remember they only do 3 laps or so. The smaller iron rotors probably help keep mass low. There's not enough time to heat them up.

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
Jason Cammisa and Jonny Lieberman are 2 very unprofessional and annoying journalists. Get rid of them already.
Say it ain't so. Even Pobst is starting to get unprofessional. I liked him better when he was modest and technical. Mostly bozos in US car videos. Watch the Brits if you want to see someone educated with real flair. Without Pobst hot laps I wouldn't even watch them.
The following users liked this post:
JackTripper (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,764 Likes on 4,188 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

You know, this is a great discussion.....

I would hate to see this thread closed because of personal pissing matches and off-topic conversation going on within the thread. I've already deleted a large amount of the pissing match.

If this persists, I will close this thread and hand out new 2016 bans.

Enough said.......
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
CliffB-99 (01-09-2016), furiousox (01-08-2016), Hemi Dave (01-08-2016), JackTripper (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Maybe a horrible question, but does anyone feel like selling their Z06 after this review?
No.

If the fact that the car you own is not the very fastest in the world at its price point is why you bought the car, you are signing up for a lifetime series of disappointments.

You need to get a Veyron and hope for the best, but it still won't make you happy.

The car is exactly what the car was before the video came out. Worth it and a lot more. I'm also very happy that it's supercharged and mine never overheats. Just easy to please I guess!

It always comes up "Oh, but my car is cheaper so I can use that money to make it faster". If car X is slower than Y then aftermarket parts to make X faster yields car Z; it doesn't make X faster. X is X. Z is Z. They are not the same car.

Last edited by davepl; 01-08-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:59 PM
darbgnik
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Originally Posted by LEE427
The TA's handicap at Laguna Seca is it's smaller (4 piston) brakes. If Dodge put the same size brakes on the TA like what is on the ACR. You would see 1:32's lap times easy. Maybe quicker. The brakes were always undersized on the Viper. Until the new ACR..
Great point for us attending track days, doing 12+ laps in a session. Not much of a point for Motor Trend competitions. Remember they only do 3 laps or so. The smaller iron rotors probably help keep mass low. There's not enough time to heat them up.

The brakes on the TA are fine(not spectacular). They are the same used on the ACRX racecar. They are also significantly heavier than the 2 piece track pack rotors on all Gen 5 Vipers, which are actually Gen 4 ACR brakes.

The braking limits of the TA, as with most sports cars these days will always be tires. Albeit, feel can certainly be improved, but not overall braking ability, without better contact with the track surface.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:26 PM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Ah, the meltdown has begun. This forum is strange in that the comparison threads with anything unfavorable about the Z06 bring out childish baiting about how great the competitor is, blind-brand-loyalty-based insults, and of course some name-calling thrown in.

By comparison, at another forum, the Porsche 991 GT3 and RS owners debate and respect the ACR and many of them are buying one or have one already. There is never a meltdown or need to move the thread into the land of misfit threads, like where this thread may be headed.

Z06 and ACR Extreme are both great and even better is that they are both domestically made and great value propositions. OF COURSE it's personal preference what to buy. No one's preference is either wrong or stupid between these two cars, either. You have to be a pretty serious track rat to buy the ACR, but if you are most think it is the clear choice. I personally agree the Z06 is the clear choice as a street GT car and probably so for casual track use, especially if you are not running 10/10.

But WTF on dumping on one car or its owner? Grow up, people - you make domestic car lovers, Viper or Vette, look like Neanderthals.
The following 9 users liked this post by kverges:
darbgnik (01-08-2016), Dominic Toretto (01-08-2016), furiousox (01-08-2016), Hemi Dave (01-08-2016), Leadfoot01 (01-09-2016), NineBall (01-08-2016), NytmereZ (01-09-2016), sam90lx (01-10-2016), serpent (01-10-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:33 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Wow 680 cars in 2015 sold sounds like serious competition
to the Corvette's.
Then with the price hike the sales should be less. For 2016
Remember in took a price reduction to sell them in 2015.
If they would have installed the hellcat motor and went less
radical on the wing and front. They could have been
competition instead of a spectacle.

All out track car with a huge wing! Not many will sell at 135,000
for street cars. Then only to out sprinted on the streets
and drag strips by Z06's. Which are better all around cars.

Despite numerous attempts by others to explain the different intended goals of these two cars, you still somehow seem to find yourself hung up on sales volumes and how SRT 'could have' made these cars competitors...and going "less radical on the wing and front" as if SRT's intended goal was looks, which is what seems to be the most important factor for you.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:34 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
In professional racing? I'm sure of it. The car is built to fit regulations.
Interesting confidence given the current day regulatory environment. All bets are off when it comes to a great car winning because it's a great car. IMSA/USCC are about corporate contribution and the bop is definitely questionable at times.

If the FordGT busts out this year winning races...HELL no. No data, no understanding of the car, fresh crew, fresh combinations...they shouldn't come close to winning race all year versus the Corvettes and Ferrari's which are established carry overs with known performance parameters.

On the street, the Ford GT is going to likely hand out some *** whippings. If we see some type of hybrid recovery system driving the CHRA of the turbo's, coupled with some traction management, stuff could get real. Aerodynamically, the Ford is a serious machine also. That car is a low drag downforce configuration. My personal money is on that FordGT being a force to reckon with.

With the Ford versus the ACR, you see this brute force/crude man approach, versus a new age technical approach in Ford. The ACR's way of business is frankly pretty straightforward...cars have gone fast with that recipe for decades. In the end, is the ACR really that impressive?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Old 01-08-2016, 03:37 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kverges
Ah, the meltdown has begun. This forum is strange in that the comparison threads with anything unfavorable about the Z06 bring out childish baiting about how great the competitor is, blind-brand-loyalty-based insults, and of course some name-calling thrown in.

By comparison, at another forum, the Porsche 991 GT3 and RS owners debate and respect the ACR and many of them are buying one or have one already. There is never a meltdown or need to move the thread into the land of misfit threads, like where this thread may be headed.

Z06 and ACR Extreme are both great and even better is that they are both domestically made and great value propositions. OF COURSE it's personal preference what to buy. No one's preference is either wrong or stupid between these two cars, either. You have to be a pretty serious track rat to buy the ACR, but if you are most think it is the clear choice. I personally agree the Z06 is the clear choice as a street GT car and probably so for casual track use, especially if you are not running 10/10.

But WTF on dumping on one car or its owner? Grow up, people - you make domestic car lovers, Viper or Vette, look like Neanderthals.
I like this guy....I like where his heads at...
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

With how much my c6 z06 struggles for traction coming out of the turns I can only imagine adding another couple hundred of HP...next gen platform should be much better for grip with the engine moved behind the cockpit, without the need to run ridiculous tires. I really appreciate the 911 variants nowadays - awesome corner exit traction with the engine right above the propelling wheels, while still giving RWD driving dynamics. No I would not take one over my Z06 because LS7.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:15 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Viper, never met an uglier sports car. No wonder they have so much trouble keeping the assembly line going. Good thing it has some fine track numbers, it needs to have something going for it. Like an ugly girl that slides up along side you at closing time ... I'll rocks your socks in bed. Not marrying material

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head