C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Stiffer suspension for Z06. Vote on ask Tadge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:00 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
You've posted in it before...lol...

The "Post your lap times" thread...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...imes-here.html
I started another one on the road race/ autocross forum

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591258525
Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Nice to see I inspired a little fight in ya...lol! Little effort goes a long way.

I like the question because it sends the message to Tadge that there are plenty of guys that want to track the car and track it hard. Corvette is often faced with an image vs a demographics problem, and it has to make a balance of all these factors. Knowing there is performance and validation demand makes the car better and tells GM execs that if you call it a track car, it's going to be scrutinized as such. These questions better the cause long term of where I want to see Corvette. I want a GT3RS equivalent damnit!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 PM
5thGear
Drifting

The question made it through. Thank you everyone
Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to rain on your parade in regards to this question so to say, but I predict that Tadge's will answer somewhat as follows...

We already predicted this question and answered it over 2 + years ago when we began and completed the development work for the Z07 package. If you don't like your currently configured Z06, sell it for a slight loss, save up a bit, and buy a Z07package...
Old 01-07-2016, 08:49 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by RossN
Not to rain on your parade in regards to this question so to say, but I predict that Tadge's will answer somewhat as follows...

We already predicted this question and answered it over 2 + years ago when we began and completed the development work for the Z07 package. If you don't like your currently configured Z06, sell it for a slight loss, save up a bit, and buy a Z07package...
If you can afford a Z06, you can afford a Z07. Its not a money issue. I, like many others, specifically didn't want a Z07 package because I didn't want CCB. Some people wanted Z07 package but couldn't get it due to serious constraints in 2015 on Z07 package. Lets hope that Tadge is not as mean as you envision him to be

Last edited by 5thGear; 01-08-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:14 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I think it is quite possible that's how he'll steer his answer though. The Z07 was intended for those who will track the car the hardest. It can be deemed that the few who desire these upgrades are simply placing too much demand on the Z06 architecture.

As I said though, the question sends the appropriate message...not everyone sees the Z07 package as a "track package". Tadge claimed before, in his own words, that if a lighter track car was truly desired, more people would be buying lower optioned Z06's, not buying Z07's. He said, Z07 satisfies the demographical need as the performance option, as supported by sales.

Me personally...I'd buy the 1LT Z06 IF I had any intent of purchasing this Z06...which I don't. After much debate I've decided to buy a stripped out base or Z51 and build the car that I want...which is an N/A widebody car with a substantial aero package, that's light as possible. The Z06X equivalent that Pratt and Miller concepted with GM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:51 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Default The question has been anwsered

See ask Tadge forum
The following 2 users liked this post by 5thGear:
BOBSZ06 (01-23-2016), CliffB-99 (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 12:23 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Just on principle I hope this question beats out the one on paint quality.
So do I.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:30 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Tadge's answer to this should be "buy a Z07 or a Z06, but GM doesn't want to play in the business of changing one to the other". I get that (a small, small set of) owners want to do it, but while GM has the data you seek, I can't picture them having any other role in it.

If you waste a question on this topic, you're going to have a very unsatisfying answer and you know it. He's not going to bust out a delta parts list and a USB stick with a new calibration to be attached as a sticky on the post - duh - he's going to say "We don't advocate consumers undertake blah blah blah...."

Last edited by davepl; 01-23-2016 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skank (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If you waste a question on this topic, you're going to have a very unsatisfying answer and you know it. He's not going to bust out a delta parts list and a USB stick with a new calibration to be attached as a sticky on the post - duh - he's going to say "We don't advocate consumers undertake blah blah blah...."
The answer was both thorough, as he included a long snippet of text from Jim Mero, and perhaps also disappointing to the folks that wanted the calibration: it ain't happening.

The question and answer.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:15 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Seems to be they want to "protect" the Z07 package versus allowing customers to build their own/pick and choose components. Can't allow people to build ala carte cars...not good for business. Can't say I blame them though...gotta push people to buy more car versus less car.

He did state they allowed the carbon ceramics to be available ala carte to the z06 package, plus the Z07 aero is opened. All they won't give you is the suspension calibration for FE7 to complete the upgrade.

End of day it's all software. We hacked and pulled data from factory ecu's for years...I'm sure if there is demand a company can provide an "upgraded" calibration or piggyback unit. Would imagine there isn't much of a customer demand though.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:15 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
The answer was both thorough, as he included a long snippet of text from Jim Mero, and perhaps also disappointing to the folks that wanted the calibration: it ain't happening.
Seems to me he said largely what I predicted. He said "feel" rather than "advocate", but darn close:

"Yes, you could purchase the Z07 parts and bolt them on to a Z06, but we don't feel it would be worth the cost or effort"

His answer was way more detailed than I expected in terms of what it would require though. So it was by no means a waste, since it's informative.

Last edited by davepl; 01-23-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:36 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Poor-sha has DSC shocks and calibration and I remember from his thread that they are meant to be stiff for the track and then very comfy on the road (I think they're magnetic too). He also said they help put down power better.

I'm not sure on cost, but this looks like a better solution than trying to get the Z07 calibration and such for FE6 cars. I'm sure he can chime in with more details if needed.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Poor-sha has DSC shocks and calibration and I remember from his thread that they are meant to be stiff for the track and then very comfy on the road (I think they're magnetic too). He also said they help put down power better.

I'm not sure on cost, but this looks like a better solution than trying to get the Z07 calibration and such for FE6 cars. I'm sure he can chime in with more details if needed.
My initial impressions are posted here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

You might want to ping Jason at Katech on cost as it looks like they will be a reseller of the DSC Sport suspension.

There are a few of us on the forum that have spoken to Mike Levitas about this system and he has some distinct opinions on the limitations of the factory setup. Given their results with this system on Vipers and Porsches I'm very optimistic we'll see some big gains in lap time.

I'm hoping that DSC Sport will join as a supporting vendor or work through Katech to provide more info as I don't want to start sounding like the sales guy for DSC. However, I will definitely post further impressions from my experience as I get them. Mike has been really great about taking feedback and sending tuning updates so there will probably be a lot to talk about for the next few months.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by four0nefive

Afaik DSC put that kind of suspension on a Gen V Viper TA and posted a faster lap time than a Gen V ACR..
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
Afaik DSC put that kind of suspension on a Gen V Viper TA and posted a faster lap time than a Gen V ACR..
Yup, I was told the same. The TA was literally straight off the showroom and all they did was shocks and a controller like we're doing for the C7Z.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:39 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Yup, I was told the same. The TA was literally straight off the showroom and all they did was shocks and a controller like we're doing for the C7Z.

Get notified of new replies

To Stiffer suspension for Z06. Vote on ask Tadge

Old 01-23-2016, 06:57 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I too was hoping for a response that GM might make the software available.
I am however very thankful that Tadge and Mero offered the information and took the time to talk a little bit about the 2 suspensions.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Not going to happen. A waste of time to try and get any response but NO on this one. GM is not in the business of supporting aftermarket including its own! Buy the car with this on board from day one of find a used one equipped this way. Personally do not want to see GM spending money on something because very very few people want modify a lesser model of the car and then build it into the cost of the vehicle. The few people that would want this would not support the amortization of the NRE, associated software, testing etc of the production LIFE of the modification so that cost has to be recovered somewhere..

Bottom line not even close to being cost effective.

Hate to say I told you so but the answer given by Tadge was exactly as outlined above. GM is not in the business of supporting hobby drivers who modify the car.. It is all about dollars and cents period the bottom line.. Think about questions before you waste the mans time with questions that are obviously going to be unequivocally shot down lol.
The following users liked this post:
skank (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Hate to say I told you so but the answer given by Tadge was exactly as outlined above. GM is not in the business of supporting hobby drivers who modify the car.. It is all about dollars and cents period the bottom line.. Think about questions before you waste the mans time with questions that are obviously going to be unequivocally shot down lol.
What you are missing is that the software and hard parts are already available. This is not a development issue. This is not very much different than adding Z06 brakes to a Z51.

Quick Reply: Stiffer suspension for Z06. Vote on ask Tadge