C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Michelin Pilot Super Sports with 6K miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:14 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sports with 6K miles

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what these tires are worth? Considering selling them for a less aggressive tire. They are currently on my 2015 Z06, by the way. I have had the car since brand new. I love these tires but I don't road race (or plan to) and I live on a mile long road that has little rocks on it. The tires literally fling rocks at the side of my car because they are so sticky. I don't have side skirts and I don't care to install them. Figure the less aggressive Continental Extreme DW's will be a little better? My buddy just got them and really likes them. Open to suggestions/offers. The tires are in great shape. No issues at all.

Thanks!
John

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 11-26-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:47 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Hey guys,

I'm wondering what these tires are worth? Considering selling them for a less aggressive tire. They are currently on my 2015 Z06, by the way. I have had the car since brand new. I love these tires but I don't road race (or plan to) and I live on a mile long road that has little rocks on it. The tires literally fling rocks at the side of my car because they are so sticky. I don't have side skirts and I don't care to install them. Figure the less aggressive Continental Extreme DW's will be a little better? My buddy just got them and really likes them. Open to suggestions/offers. The tires are in great shape. No issues at all.

Thanks!
John

I have a set of coni' with about 2k miles on them. I would be interested in trading.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:48 AM
1966STER
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Hey guys,

Thanks!
John
John I share your concern as well. The Pilot SS are "summer tires" that get sticky especially in warm temperatures when they heat up, whereas the Continentals are all seasons (less sticky). In the long run, if you're willing to sacrifice some wheels spin to reduce rock chips on your paint then this makes sense. The Continental Extreme DW's ultra high performance all season tires will do a good job for what your looking for, plus eliminate any under 20 degree cracking concerns.

As an alternative have you considered GM mud guards along with having Expel installed in the areas of concern?

I'm not crazy about mud guards; but, the GM guards are not bad looking at all and the "Expel Ultimate" will protect your paint.

For me protecting the paint is critical; but, excessive wheel spin defeats the purpose of the amazing 1/4 mile capability of this machine.

Last edited by 1966STER; 11-26-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

I went with a triple protection and it works great...factory C7 splash guards...super cheap, Expel Ultimate and side rails...100% protection. I have 14k miles in a few months and not a mark whatsoever...

Last edited by AllFlash; 11-26-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:49 AM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1966STER
John I share your concern as well. The Pilot SS are "summer tires" that get sticky especially in warm temperatures when they heat up, whereas the Continentals are all seasons (less sticky). In the long run, if you're willing to sacrifice some wheels spin to reduce rock chips on your paint then this makes sense. The Continental Extreme DW's ultra high performance all season tires will do a good job for what your looking for, plus eliminate any under 20 degree cracking concerns.

As an alternative have you considered GM mud guards along with having Expel installed in the areas of concern?

I'm not crazy about mud guards; but, the GM guards are not bad looking at all and the "Expel Ultimate" will protect your paint.

For me protecting the paint is critical; but, excessive wheel spin defeats the purpose of the amazing 1/4 mile capability of this machine.
I appreciate your reply. I actually already have the GM splash guards. They did help a little. I also protected the rear with 3M Pro paint protection film. It's still a sickening feeling to hear rocks hitting my car.

Last edited by 1QUICK Z; 11-26-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:52 AM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by ElCid79
I have a set of coni' with about 2k miles on them. I would be interested in trading.
It's too bad you aren't closer to WI. My car is in storage and I'm not sure how we would trade? My plan was going to be to purchase the Continental's before dismounting my current tires. I just wanted to find out what my Michelin's were worth. They certainly aren't cheap. Just curious, what don't you like about the DW's?
Old 11-26-2015, 04:06 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Post pics of tires and track guys will tell you how many track days are left on them and what they are worth in that context.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:32 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Default Pics

These pics aren't very good, but they should give you an idea of the condition. The car is in storage currently. The first 3 pics are of the front tires and the next 3 pics are of the rear tires. The car currently has 6017 miles. Thanks!
Attached Images       
Old 11-29-2015, 09:42 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Much less sticky than the cup2 that I just replaced with the SS. I got 6k out the cups and expect to get twice that or 12k from the SS.

Based upon 50% wear out, you may get 50% of retail, or about $1k for them if you include shipping like discount tire direct does.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by CONMAX
Much less sticky than the cup2 that I just replaced with the SS. I got 6k out the cups and expect to get twice that or 12k from the SS.

Based upon 50% wear out, you may get 50% of retail, or about $1k for them if you include shipping like discount tire direct does.
Yeah, I'd probably sell them for $700 plus shipping. If anyone is interested up in MN or WI, shipping will be much less as I can go through Spee Dee delivery. I'm fine keeping them on the car, just thought I'd see if anyone wanted them. I'm just not using these tires to their potential.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:06 PM
DFW_C7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX

The super sports are $1774 brand new delivered to your door from tirerack so I would guess $1000 for a used set with 6K miles on them is a stretch.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by DFW_C7
The super sports are $1774 brand new delivered to your door from tirerack so I would guess $1000 for a used set with 6K miles on them is a stretch.
Exactly why I thought $700 was fair.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Super Sports with 6K miles

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports with 6K miles