C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Easy Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP (MPSS) Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:57 AM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

My local Discount Tire had a major issue with remounting a rear tire on my Z06 after a flat repair. The store manager was very interested in this "new lube" and ordered a gallon on his own dime. He called me a day or two ago to say they had tried it on another Z06 and it MADE NO DIFFERENCE. Still took a long time to get the bead to seat enough to take air. He said they had removed the valve core, cranked up the compressor, etc. Discount Tire mounts a LOT of tires so I think that's a pretty good example. I was really hoping it would be the magic bullet we need but it looks like maybe that's not all I had hoped for.

Steve
Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 AM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

The problem is that the orifice in the TPMS sensor is too small to move a large enough volume of air quick enough to seat the beads. The solution is to remove the TPSM sensor and install it on the center of the rim with a band clamp and then install a standard valve stem that has a larger orifice.

http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthre...Installed-Pics
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (07-02-2017)
Old 11-21-2015, 01:36 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Did you try calling them. I doubt they have someone sitting there checking emails. They answer their phone during business hours.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:44 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Obviously GM's supplier does not remove the TPMS to inflate the tires. I'd love to know what equipment or method they use to do this. Anyone have an "in" that can fill us in?

Steve
Old 11-21-2015, 03:01 PM
BTCorvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 67*427
Obviously GM's supplier does not remove the TPMS to inflate the tires. I'd love to know what equipment or method they use to do this. Anyone have an "in" that can fill us in?

Steve
I am very interested in the technique to mount the tires as well, if you get any further information please let me know... 🤔
Old 11-21-2015, 06:02 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

This was asked months ago when I got my Z06 at my local dealership. One rear tire had tread cracked due to very low temps in Toledo below 10* and the tire was to be replaced.

The dealer (service manager with 35 years at this dealership and an employee with 15 years at expert tire) worked on getting a replacement tire on but could not using their mounting compound.

They talked to GM Tech Support who said many dealers were having this problem and got this........

"Bob we talked with tech assist this morning, we are ordering a Hunter mounting compound that is used by the person that mounts these tires all the time."

They tried the Hunter compound and got the same disastrous results and after many hours ended up using a piece of rubber hose to seal and get the air to stay in.

The SM now charges $100 per tire to mount these!

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 11-21-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:39 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

When I was at the SEMA show, I stopped by the Hunter booth and there was a new tire mounting machine, called the Hunter Revolution.

http://www.hunter.com/tire-changers/revolution

I noticed that he had several tires and wheels on the side, and one of them was a C7 Z06 rear wheel with a Pilot Sport Cup 2. I asked him if he had a solution for the difficult inflation issues so many tire shops were having, and he said their machine could easily mount the tire and inflate it. So I asked him to show me, and he did. First he rolled the tire up to the machine, and its arm lifted the tire and wheel off the ground from vertical to horizontal position, and the operator never had to lift the wheel. He dismounted the tire, without ever touching any part of the wheel or tire. I then asked him to mount the tire, which he proceeded to do, again without ever touching the tire l, no tire irons, nothing at all except the machine's tools. Mounting and dismounting the tire took about 4 minutes total, and it was simply effortless, as the machine pulled and tugged on the tire bead to take it off and put it on the wheel, all under computer control. By this time quite a crowd had gathered behind me as many people have heard how difficult these Corvette tires are to mount and inflate. Once mounted, I asked him to inflate it. He then told me about the official Michelin mounring instructios which apparently recommends the use of multiple tire irons.

He changed a tool on one of the arms, and then proceeded to have the tool pull on the side of the bead and then release it which allowed the bead to touch the outside of the rim, over the inner flange. He rotated the tire all around and did the same until the tire was flush to the rim edge all around, except at the TPMS sensor for about 8 inches around, but it was tight to the rim. I asked to inflate it as he said he was done, and he hesitated as he said it would pop loudly, but the agreed to do it. He put in a total of 10 psi and the tire popped loudly with the last section closing up against the rim. Never touched the tire, no tire irons, no goop, no mess, nothing but the machine's tools did the job. Truly an amazing machine, and operator.

Just find a shop that has this machine and an operator who knows how to use it and Corvette mounting issues are history. It really, really worked.
LagunaSecaZ06 (07-02-2017)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:04 AM
sixthsense114
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally i got my tires mounted, it took them a more than a week for the dealer still they couldn't do it and they sent the wheels to an outsider vendor (wheel works) for the job.
I also got a PDR s/w update as well, After driving home i found some part in the trunk "GM Part No.: 23167549" , attached is the pic, I have no clue what it is, i emailed the rep and waiting for his reply.
Another thing i notice is some wierd water pump sound ( very low) i could hear at idle. Not sure if this is something because the engine is still cold.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 01:33 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by sixthsense114
Finally i got my tires mounted, it took them a more than a week for the dealer still they couldn't do it and they sent the wheels to an outsider vendor (wheel works) for the job.
I also got a PDR s/w update as well, After driving home i found some part in the trunk "GM Part No.: 23167549" , attached is the pic, I have no clue what it is, i emailed the rep and waiting for his reply.
Another thing i notice is some wierd water pump sound ( very low) i could hear at idle. Not sure if this is something because the engine is still cold.
It goes over your battery. If you lift the rear floormat in the back corner, on the passenger side, you will see where it fits. The indentation is for a factory tow hook that doesn't come with our cars.
Herman
Old 07-01-2017, 11:27 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My local chevy dealer service dept mounted and balanced my new Michelin Pilot Sport PS@ ZPs and installed a new set of TPMS sensors yesterday without issue. Don't know what lubricant they used but the end result was perfection.

PS: These tires make a huge difference over the OEM Goodyear EMTs that came on my '06 Z06.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:53 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 958 Likes on 621 Posts

[QUOTE=vetdude;1595057440]My local chevy dealer service dept mounted and balanced my new Michelin Pilot Sport PS@ ZPs and installed a new set of TPMS sensors yesterday without issue. Don't know what lubricant they used but the end result was perfection. Dude you're 18 months late-check the thread dates.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:18 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

^^^ He was probably just searching lubes for specific applications and ran across this exciting stuff.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Has anyone been able to find this to purchase it?
Old 07-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
The problem is that the orifice in the TPMS sensor is too small to move a large enough volume of air quick enough to seat the beads. The solution is to remove the TPSM sensor and install it on the center of the rim with a band clamp and then install a standard valve stem that has a larger orifice.

http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthre...Installed-Pics
that's not an acceptable fix. The c4's with tpms had that contraption of a set up.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Resurrecting this thread as I'm about to buy a tire changer since I go through so many tires on track. I only plan on mounting slicks myself but I assume I still need some sort of lube. I would think that this stuff would increase the rotation of the tire on the wheel, does anyone have any experience with track tires mounted using this stuff? If not, what lube is recommended?
Old 10-07-2018, 11:16 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 958 Likes on 621 Posts

From personal observation & talking to folks who have mounted mine there's two main things that matter. Not knowing what type of mounting machine you will use (touchless vs old style with the rotating bar that breaks/seats the tire), here's my take. The biggest thing is a LARGE amount of air pressure will force the tire to seat on it's bead, a low pressure air hose makes it much harder. Also lift the tire as high & close to it's bead seating area before shooting the air to it. If using the old style rotating mount machine, I believe it will require some lube to prevent the bar from damaging tire seating edge & I would call shops to see what they use. I think you're right about tire/wheel slip especially using the super grippy slicks. I recommend talking by phone or email to some of our professional vendors on here or Tire Rack. JMO, not any track experience. PS: Always enjoy reading your track advice & any other offered, always good to learn new things from Pros.

Last edited by madrob2020; 10-07-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Poor-sha (10-09-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 11:26 AM
sixthsense114
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

recently had michelin pss, installed at the dealer. They didnt have proper equipment to mount the tires. they shipped my wheels & tires to another shop. The other shop heated the tires to 120 or so and used a lube to mount them. delaer charged me 240 for mounting all 4 tires. Dont know what lube they used. Best to leave it with thr dealer and let them deal with how to get tires mounted.
​​​​​​

Get notified of new replies

To Easy Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP (MPSS) Mounting

Old 10-07-2018, 02:39 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Sean I'd just use plain tire lube. I don't think it will really matter what brand. With the 18" wheels you shouldn't have the bead seating issue. If you're mounting cups it's a whole different deal. I'm not sure you could do it with a standard tire changer. I watched a set being mounted on my car and when I had a flat at VIR we couldn't get the bead to seat after it was patched. I was at a shop there that does it for a living but we never did get it seated. If you're mounting cups the guy that does mine in raleigh is great and he's mounted 3 sets for me so I know he knows what he's doing.
Poor-sha (10-09-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 09:48 PM
weswendling
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Big O Tires mounted 4 Michelin winter tires for $80. They said the mounting was tricky, but no major issues. I had expected to pay more.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I and my dealer use a local shop with no special equipment that uses no lube. They do sell wheels and they are mostly 20's to 26's, so have learned how to handle stiff short sidewalls. Their equipment is not special. Just a lot of experience on these types of tires. I have stood there while they do it and it is lickety split with no muss or fuss. I did ask one of the guys once and he said the secret was getting the bead perfectly level before you aired it up and using a high air pressure.

I also have had a DT use a ton of that gookey stuff and it took the raised letters off of the tire sidewall and the finish off of my factory C6 ZR1 gloss black wheels. They took so long (4 hours) to get those tires mounted even with the goop, they simply didn't clean that corrosive crap off. I am normally a bit DT fan but no longer.

Quick Reply: Easy Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP (MPSS) Mounting