C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Motor Trend Driver's Car???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:40 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Ralph must've chuckled and walked away shaking his head... Wonder how a face off between Ralph and Tadge would go.

Glad we consumers that love American sports cars get to live in this time and age. It's even better than the muscle car era... We have 650hp cars at our disposal and have a choice in choosing which one to buy!!! Murcia FTW!!!!
They are business men, therefore I expect:
*closed doors
*caviar
*Cristal champagne
Old 10-05-2015, 07:55 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Ralph must've chuckled and walked away shaking his head... Wonder how a face off between Ralph and Tadge would go.

Glad we consumers that love American sports cars get to live in this time and age. It's even better than the muscle car era... We have 650hp cars at our disposal and have a choice in choosing which one to buy!!! Murcia FTW!!!!
To be fair, Ralph is a Canadian.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:04 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
To be fair, Ralph is a Canadian.
Lol.. He is a New Yorker by birth
Old 10-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD . Especially when I bought the Z07 A8 and see this article. GM HAD BETTER get another test car out RIGHT AWAY. A DISGRACE indeed to Corvettes and America. Lose to a MERCEDES. WTF. Also why dont they use the A8 on the timed tests. It can handle several laps without this overheat issue. I sure hope CAR and DRIVER and Road and Track HONOR another RACE War. Have to live with a DNF and lose to a few cars. Yeah is did a decent time half broken but COME ON.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

There are few different ways of looking at this...

People that own them: there is nothing wrong with the Z... GM picked the wrong car and sent it to MT. The same car that was used by C&D and since it was used there and drove off the road it's perfectly acceptable that it does bad here. So GM marketing department failed and the cars have no issue. So if you don't own a Z then you shouldn't post negative about it.

People that dont have one and hate the platform: this is a crappy car and this one test reinforced it

True car enthusiast that love anything that's fast and enjoy the car: this car is an amazing car on paper but falls short at the track. Not functioning as advertised and GM needs to fix it for the 2% or 20% that track it... Cause that's the ad campaign.. Most track capable car ever and it is no where near that.

GM corvette team (not the one that have to give any official statements): we knew about this short comings... However business profit etc takes precedence over 'is this the right thing to do'?

GM corvette Chief engineers that face the press: there is nothing wrong with this car and we made it yada yada standard always and that was the same thing that was followed here. Pretty much a well articulated excuse that seems like a reason.

Finally.. The people that were and are interested in buying one: should I really buy this car with all the negative press and owners reporting issues in various parts of the car.. Overheating engine oil, coolant, power steering.. Bad diffs, creaks from the targa, blower rattle etc etc etc? So they focus on all the negative things to really see if it's worth buying one... But most current owners mistake that for hating.

Anyways... Continue with the discussion. Save the wave!!!!
I think most people shouldn't really care what happens on a track anyways. Its fun to watch a video of a car you bought rip a crazy track time, but it shouldn't mean much seeing how most are never going to track. I own a Z51 c7, i love the car. I also dont plan on track. Then why would i get a z51? because of the better looking rims, better sounding exhaust, stiffer suspension because it feels more solid on the street. I think the Dry sump for me is more of novelty of owning. I would pick it over a wet sump just for the fact i think its cool to have a dry sump.

For the Z06, I would use it the same way i use my Z51. Which is how most would do.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 10-06-2015 at 01:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
c7fasteddie (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 04:38 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I think most people shouldn't really care what happens on a track anyways. Its fun to watch a video of a car you bought rip a crazy track time, but it shouldn't mean much seeing how most are never going to track. I own a Z51 c7, i love the car. I also dont plan on track. Then why would i get a z51? because of the better looking rims, better sounding exhaust, stiffer suspension because it feels more solid on the street. I think the Dry sump for me is more of novelty of owning. I would pick it over a wet sump just for the fact i think its cool to have a dry sump.

For the Z06, I would use it the same way i use my Z51. Which is how most would do.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:41 PM
c7fasteddie
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
With all due respect, Corvettes aside, Audi is one of the least reliable brands out there. I would definitely not go anywhere near VW or Audi. They get horrible long term ratings. Sorry you had issues with the C6Z, that whole process sucked for owners.

I don't know what brands are reliable anymore. Maybe Honda accords and Toyota camrys. Jaguar? Forget it. Rolling disaster on 4 wheels. Viper? Maybe, but do you really want to trust Chrysler UAW with $100K? I don't. Ford doesn't even have anything, but if they did, quality has plummeted since 2008... The GT looks incredible, but I'd have same misgivings as with the Viper.

Mercedes and Porsche - yeah. (Disclosure - we drive Mercedes)

BMW - been there, done that. 6 of them. All done there. have to laugh at these BMW owners who come in here trying to claim they track with zero issues. I know otherwise. The cars don't even hold up on the street. And Audi is even worse.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Just wondering: 3 times car and driver tested the ZO6 they raved about it and 3 times motor trend tested it they had issues with it.Why is that ? Sure hope they gave road and track a ringer for their PCOTY test and not another lemon.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jr9170
Just wondering: 3 times car and driver tested the ZO6 they raved about it and 3 times motor trend tested it they had issues with it.Why is that ? Sure hope they gave road and track a ringer for their PCOTY test and not another lemon.
Good observation. If you ask me, C&D have always been in love with Corvettes. Some of their writers are die hard fans. That means C&D is more likely to skip reporting car trouble or allow GM more leniency in swapping cars in and out of testing. I don't think it's serious enough to the point that they have test cars that are on steroids, but I do think they give 'Vettes whatever ammunition they can to succeed in comparisons.

In the magazine it's GM advertising. Followed by the piece. Followed by Mero praising C&D's drivers. C&D got more time than anyone with GM personnel at the car launch. That's a lot of exposure for C&D. Now it's GM's time to get exposure from C&D.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 AM
Darius
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Good observation. If you ask me, C&D have always been in love with Corvettes. Some of their writers are die hard fans. That means C&D is more likely to skip reporting car trouble or allow GM more leniency in swapping cars in and out of testing. I don't think it's serious enough to the point that they have test cars that are on steroids, but I do think they give 'Vettes whatever ammunition they can to succeed in comparisons.

In the magazine it's GM advertising. Followed by the piece. Followed by Mero praising C&D's drivers. C&D got more time than anyone with GM personnel at the car launch. That's a lot of exposure for C&D. Now it's GM's time to get exposure from C&D.
A friend of mine had huge problems with his brand new Zo6. He ran multiple tracks days and the car was just as Randy described, a dog! He went back and forth with Chevy, having it at the dealership more than in his own possession for months. They ended up telling him the coolant lines to his blower were never connected at the factory. It's running as should be now and I raced him multiple times in my Viper TA and we were pretty much dead even with me pulling slightly at the top of 4th due to aero. That doesn't say anything about heat soak after multiple laps but obviously there was something seriously wrong with that car. It should be able to complete at least a couple laps at Laguna full power.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Darius
A friend of mine had huge problems with his brand new Zo6. He ran multiple tracks days and the car was just as Randy described, a dog! He went back and forth with Chevy, having it at the dealership more than in his own possession for months. They ended up telling him the coolant lines to his blower were never connected at the factory. It's running as should be now and I raced him multiple times in my Viper TA and we were pretty much dead even with me pulling slightly at the top of 4th due to aero. That doesn't say anything about heat soak after multiple laps but obviously there was something seriously wrong with that car. It should be able to complete at least a couple laps at Laguna full power.
That is hard to believe if true. How can that be???
Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Darius
I can attest to poor assembly too. I've been dealing with a short for quite some time now. Holding my fingers crossed for this Saturday, 72* ambient in Monterey!
Old 10-10-2015, 03:52 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

For all you guys asking for GM employees, including Tadge, to be fired...unless you have never screwed up at your job, perhaps you should not be so quick in asking for other people to get fired.

And for you guys ordering your Porsche GT4's, I hope your cars don't have the same engine problems as the GT3....

The guys at Chevy did an amazing job with the C7. Apparently there are problems, and I'm sure they will be fixed.
The following 2 users liked this post by kdm123:
Bwright (10-10-2015), cam30era (10-11-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 10:01 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I saw Ralph Gilles leaving the scene in a hoodie........
...... Just genius. Well done.
Fastmikefree (10-11-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
1. We cannot assume that an unpluggled connector is a one-off fault. This is not the first time I hear of this issue in a C7 Z, it's also not the first time sloppy wiring reared its ugly teeth in a C7 Z.

2. We cannot assume an off track excursion incapacitates the car for track use. I went off the track once in the C7 Z, I didn't throw the car in the salvage yard. I had no mechanical damage, and certainly I did not disconnect my intercooler harness in that fashion.

Time will tell whether this fault is reocurring in the Z. Personally, I'm putting it on the list of deficiencies and checks I do before track days until proven otherwise.
Fascinating. Like jvp I also know what happened but am not at liberty to say. As such, I find posts like these quite amusing. Do me a favor please. Leave your post unedited. There are a couple of things in it that bear reference to why one should not speculate until the actual facts are revealed.

I intend to revisit this one then.
cam30era (10-11-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 11:33 PM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwright
Fascinating. Like jvp I also know what happened but am not at liberty to say. As such, I find posts like these quite amusing. Do me a favor please. Leave your post unedited. There are a couple of things in it that bear reference to why one should not speculate until the actual facts are revealed.

The facts are already revealed. Chevy bombed the test and received a DNF. Doesn't really matter what the real cause was, as they are the ones that provided the car and the techs with it. This whole secrecy thing is ridiculous, and reflects poorly on Chevy for leaving it's customers in the dark. Then for you guys to find joy in a customer who has similar issues with his car and no solution - well that's pretty sick and twisted. Great community here. Guess you have to be in the in crowd to be a "real" Corvette owner.
The following 5 users liked this post by <<427_V8>>:
Busa Dave (10-11-2015), Fastmikefree (10-11-2015), NineBall (10-11-2015), RedLS6 (10-11-2015), Rodbuster56 (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:01 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bwright

At least one can make a fat living speculating on the market. All you have given us is attitude, one can't even use that as toilet paper. Helluva way to ask for favors. You must be a jolly one to have around.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend Driver's Car???

Old 10-11-2015, 01:51 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ;1590670201
The facts are already revealed. Chevy bombed the test and received a DNF. Doesn't really matter what the real cause was, as they are the ones that provided the car and the techs with it. This whole secrecy thing is ridiculous, and reflects poorly on Chevy for leaving it's customers in the dark. Then for you guys to find joy in a customer who has similar issues with his car and no solution - well that's pretty sick and twisted. Great community here. Guess you have to be in the in crowd to be a "real" Corvette owner.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:15 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123
For all you guys asking for GM employees, including Tadge, to be fired...unless you have never screwed up at your job, perhaps you should not be so quick in asking for other people to get fired.

And for you guys ordering your Porsche GT4's, I hope your cars don't have the same engine problems as the GT3....

The guys at Chevy did an amazing job with the C7. Apparently there are problems, and I'm sure they will be fixed.
GM didnt screw up on the Z06. The car was made to lose power under track like conditions. They give you a few laps, then cut the power like they wanted it to. They also know that most people are not tracking, so most people are not mad.

If the guys over at motor trend, or random people report power loss. Better believe GM testers also found this. But like i said, they figured most wont track.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 10-11-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Larry Bittner
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was at Buttonwillow on a 90 degree day and the car overheated with 100 octane gasoline. According to the GM for Buttonwillow all Z06's are overheating even on 70 degree days. Considering the cars fantastic capabilities this is a problem the GM needs to fix. As a person who has owned a Corvette since 1968 and tracked C5 & C6 Z06's the past 15 years with no engine heating issues, this is embarrassing for such a great car with enormous potential.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Driver's Car???