C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech Stinger RZ Installed, now a couple questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:21 PM
SLBelt
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Halltech Stinger RZ Installed, now a couple questions?

Ok, I finished painting and installing the RZ today. I'm a bit concerned about a few things and hope some of you guys or maybe Jim can answer a couple questions. See picture below, but my questions are:

1. The radiator shroud is riding on top of the CAI in the red circled area. It doesn't want to let the shroud seat properly. I tightened up the shroud as much as I thought was reasonable. Is this normal???

2. I cable tied the outside (closest to the CAI) radiator hose to the inner hose so it pulled on top of slightly and up against the inner hose. However, the CAI is still pushing against the hose. I installed the silver insulator but that's just going to slow the heat transfer to the CAI box. Is this normal as well?

Not to bad for painting from spray cans...

Old 09-27-2015, 01:25 AM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Jim's step by step instructions specifically discuss trimming the shroud, as well as re-positioning the hoses. Look it up on You Tube.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:04 AM
ser2fast
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Link to the you tube video you mentioned would be great. I watched every video I saw available and saw nothing about the shroud trimming. For what it cost, I wasn't real happy with how it fit, coolant line routing, or lack of instructions included. There are several you tube videos, of which none cover the install from beginning to end.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

How's the power?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:58 AM
NYROBZ06
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ser2fast
Link to the you tube video you mentioned would be great. I watched every video I saw available and saw nothing about the shroud trimming. For what it cost, I wasn't real happy with how it fit, coolant line routing, or lack of instructions included. There are several you tube videos, of which none cover the install from beginning to end.
I agree, not thorough enough and better fitment would be ideal!
Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
How's the power?
You can definetly feel the difference!!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 AM
corv1998
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Halltech

I also have same issue regarding pressure being applied to hood in this area where the intake box makes contact with the radiator scoop .Would like to trim it I guess, but not a trial and error method. nice increase in power .but now my sport cup 2 tires are showing much more wear "almost" bald after only 1500 miles on car .
Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 AM
ser2fast
Instructor

Originally Posted by corv1998
I also have same issue regarding pressure being applied to hood in this area where the intake box makes contact with the radiator scoop .Would like to trim it I guess, but not a trial and error method. nice increase in power .but now my sport cup 2 tires are showing much more wear "almost" bald after only 1500 miles on car .
There is definitely a relief in the molding of the box for the scoop, just doesn't seem to be enough to provide a non-interference fit.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:13 AM
SLBelt
Racer

Originally Posted by mikegaan
Jim's step by step instructions specifically discuss trimming the shroud, as well as re-positioning the hoses. Look it up on You Tube.
A link would be great if you know the video. I watched them all before installing and didn't see any about trimming anything.

Finished last night so going out for some seat time today. Will report what it feels like.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by SLBelt
Ok, I finished painting and installing the RZ today. I'm a bit concerned about a few things and hope some of you guys or maybe Jim can answer a couple questions. See picture below, but my questions are:

1. The radiator shroud is riding on top of the CAI in the red circled area. It doesn't want to let the shroud seat properly. I tightened up the shroud as much as I thought was reasonable. Is this normal???

2. I cable tied the outside (closest to the CAI) radiator hose to the inner hose so it pulled on top of slightly and up against the inner hose. However, the CAI is still pushing against the hose. I installed the silver insulator but that's just going to slow the heat transfer to the CAI box. Is this normal as well?

Not to bad for painting from spray cans...

That is where that rests, but it you want to keep the paint nice, I would trim the duct edge there.

You might try loosening the two retention bolts into the F-Panel and push down on the airbox (right side first) and retighten the bolts one at a time with downward pressure on the airbox to get it all the way down as far as possible. It should end up around 3/16" below the F-panel.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 09-27-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:13 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Halltech
That is where that rests, but it you want to keep the paint nice, I would trim the duct edge there.

You might try loosening the two retention bolts into the F-Panel and push down on the airbox (right side first) and retighten the bolts one at a time with downward pressure on the airbox to get it all the way down as far as possible. It should end up around 3/16" below the F-panel.

I have what may be a dumb question - how do you separate the hard lines from the connector? Do you twist, tank or something different?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:24 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I have what may be a dumb question - how do you separate the hard lines from the connector? Do you twist, tank or something different?
I actually cut that plastic hose with a rubber line cutter. Left about 3/4" of smooth plastic line, so I could slip the supplied rubber hose on. There were no hose clamps supplied, but I think I might get some as I don't want that line slipping off once the cooling system builds pressure.

Pic of the cutter I used, worked perfectly.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:26 PM
marc0779
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Seperating lines

Cut with razor
Old 09-27-2015, 02:26 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ser2fast
I actually cut that plastic hose with a rubber line cutter. Left about 3/4" of smooth plastic line, so I could slip the supplied rubber hose on. There were no hose clamps supplied, but I think I might get some as I don't want that line slipping off once the cooling system builds pressure.

Pic of the cutter I used, worked perfectly.

Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid cutting anything if I don't have to.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:30 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid cutting anything if I don't have to.
Unfortunately, that's what has to be done to get the rubber line installed. I felt the same way. Figure if needing to go back to stock, I'll replace that hard plastic line assembly completely.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:45 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

These are the exact two issue I had with my unit despite watching every video there was to watch. In the end, nothing was unclear to me it just didn't seem to fit as well as I would have liked. I currently have it sitting in a box and never ran the car with it on. I'm sure it's awesome and all and maybe in the future I'll put one on but as of now the install made me lose my interest in it. That said, customer service was A+ all the way.

If anyone wants it let me know. It has zero miles on it.

Best,
Gene
Old 09-27-2015, 06:42 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Well I persevered and got it installed, but I am not the least bit impressed as I thought the C6 Vararam was better constructed.

Rather than cutting that hard plastic line I removed the entire thing (the long and short hard plastic lines as well as the short rubber one) and replaced it with flexible rubber hose all the way back along with a new plastic tee and some hose clamps I picked up from Napa Auto Parts.

I was unable to figure out how to properly tighten the filter element to the MAF tube though. In order to even fit the filter into the housing it has to be squished quite a bit and then once it's inside, I saw no way of being able to get either a small wrench or screwdriver down in there. As it is right now it's fairly snug but I have no idea if it'll stay in place. Is there a trick to tightening it or have other people had the same issue?

There were several other things that also bothered me but these were the main ones. If I don't pick up at least three tenths this Wednesday night it'll be coming off again first thing Thursday morning.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Well I persevered and got it installed, but I am not the least bit impressed as I thought the C6 Vararam was better constructed.

Rather than cutting that hard plastic line I removed the entire thing (the long and short hard plastic lines as well as the short rubber one) and replaced it with flexible rubber hose all the way back along with a new plastic tee and some hose clamps I picked up from Napa Auto Parts.

I was unable to figure out how to properly tighten the filter element to the MAF tube though. In order to even fit the filter into the housing it has to be squished quite a bit and then once it's inside, I saw no way of being able to get either a small wrench or screwdriver down in there. As it is right now it's fairly snug but I have no idea if it'll stay in place. Is there a trick to tightening it or have other people had the same issue?

There were several other things that also bothered me but these were the main ones. If I don't pick up at least three tenths this Wednesday night it'll be coming off again first thing Thursday morning.
I feel the same way about how it fit up, as well as the issues with the radiator hoses and radiator scoop.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Stinger RZ Installed, now a couple questions?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:37 PM
corv1998
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Halltech

Like I stated earlier, simple install just needed a little tweaking. This wakes the car up, nice construction compared to the crap vararam intake on my c5. Glad to get rid of the vararam when I went supercharged. Like Jim stated loosen bolts on box and push down while tightening until around 3/16 step down from frame.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:40 PM
SLBelt
Racer

I pushed the tube into the housing so the filter base came out the open end. I then mounted the filter and tightened the clamp. Then I spread the open end of the filter base and pushed the filter and tube back in.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:50 PM
SLBelt
Racer

Default Update After 24 hours

After sitting overnight with the hood closed, I opened it this morning to do a last check before taking it for a drive. I found two significant marks on the top of the filer box where the hood cowl was pressing on it. Since the paint wasn't full cured, it basically flattened out the paint in the two contact areas. Very disappointing. I tried to loosen the mounting bolts and push the box down, but it was as low as it goes.

The I took it for about an hour drive. I didn't notice much yet, but I understand that the computer takes a bit to recalibrate, I got home and opened the hood to find several areas of paint damage. The two that I noted above, plus two spots where the shroud is laying on the box and the hood cowl was obviously pushing it into the box.

At this point, all I could think to do was put some 3m film over the top of the box to try to protect the paint.

If anyone else is considering paint your CAI, I would tell you not to bother.

Quick Reply: Halltech Stinger RZ Installed, now a couple questions?