C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7Z blows up at Mid-Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
This is exactly how I feel about it.

One of the fastest cars in the world without modification which you can use on a race track and it's covered by a warranty. Simply incredible.
It's amazing how a thread about a car that detonates turns into a thread praising the car. That seems completely ridiculous to me, and I will get labeled a troll for saying so.

So how did this thread turn into a thread praising a car that just blew up?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

I have an idea, ask the dealer the change the engine. It worked for me after my motor popped, still love the car!

Let's focus on the solution not the problem for this guy!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ocumented.html
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jsiddall
OK, but "less than" is not the same thing as "equal to".

So 1 in 1000 is covered by GM's statement, 1 in 100 is not.

Admittedly the statement is vague enough to keep us from really knowing. The more important statement is GM has replaced 100% of them under warranty.
Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? I've said repeatedly that the number is closer to 1 in 100 than 1 in 1000. If it wasn't closer to 1% then the GM spokesperson would have said 1 in 1000, 2 in 1000, or whatever number some on here seem to believe. We aren't talking about a few engine failures here , the actual number is probably in the range of 50-80 out of 9000 cars which isn't good IMO. If they said it was less than 5% would you say "see it is 1 in 1000 since that is certainly less than 5%"

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Umm, hate to break it to you, but 1% of anything is 1 out of every 100. 1% of 9,000 cars is 90 vehicles with failed engines...

Try it on your calculator and you'll see what I mean.
He wants proof that you are really telling the truth or he won't believe it

Where are the Google links and math charts to back this up
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
I fail to see how changing oil at 500 miles would solve anything. If crap is in the engine that is from a point past the filter, you're not doing anything good by changing the oil at 500 miles. If I'm correct that mean there is crap in the engine block oil passages that was not cleaned up correctly, or dirt in the crank which is taking out bearings. Again if that's the case, only way to prevent that is to disassemble and clean it.
The filters today are able to remove most if not all particles that could cause damage, the only way for that to go around the filter is if the filter gets clogged, the by pass valve will open and un-filtered oil will be pumped into the engine (and I'm assuming the LT4 has such valve like the Gen 1 SBC/BBC design did).
Just sayin'
Bearman who actually assembles the LT4 in BG, told us that the oil is changed at 500 miles to remove any contamination of the oil caused by the kind of silicone(?) gaskets that are used to seal the engine. If the original oil isn't changed at 500 miles after the 'gaskets' have cured, the contaminated oil can foam, etc.

Bish
Old 08-27-2015, 02:05 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
What? you don't believe the 'magic' oil change?? Prevents all issues and adds 100 rwhp
I've had boosted engines for 15 years now, 600+ hp for the last 10. What I think is happening, the break in and factory tune adds more fuel/less timing. Well, fuel under boost will get past the rings and get into the oil. I suspect the breakin is part of the rings seating well. I change my oil after every weekend race. It's cheap compared to a 15-20k engine. Even my 2015 Denali 6.2 after 4000k miles has more power and doesn't feel sluggish like it did when new before the break-in period. I want to buy a used C7Z when the price comes down
Old 08-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TurboTnZ06
I've had boosted engines for 15 years now, 600+ hp for the last 10. What I think is happening, the break in and factory tune adds more fuel/less timing. Well, fuel under boost will get past the rings and get into the oil. I suspect the breakin is part of the rings seating well. I change my oil after every weekend race. It's cheap compared to a 15-20k engine. Even my 2015 Denali 6.2 after 4000k miles has more power and doesn't feel sluggish like it did when new before the break-in period. I want to buy a used C7Z when the price comes down
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that OP did do all of the recommended oil changes.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:18 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? I've said repeatedly that the number is closer to 1 in 100 than 1 in 1000. If it wasn't closer to 1% then the GM spokesperson would have said 1 in 1000, 2 in 1000, or whatever number some on here seem to believe. We aren't talking about a few engine failures here , the actual number is probably in the range of 50-80 out of 9000 cars which isn't good IMO. If they said it was less than 5% would you say "see it is 1 in 1000 since that is certainly less than 5%"

Where does this guessing come from? Now its 80 blown engines? Where does it say that?? Even if less than 1% of 9000? Could be any number from 1-80. Then when you see the amount of engine failures out there with other cars you realize less than 1% is nothing at all.

Last edited by GP1224; 08-27-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:21 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabbers
It's amazing how a thread about a car that detonates turns into a thread praising the car. That seems completely ridiculous to me, and I will get labeled a troll for saying so.

So how did this thread turn into a thread praising a car that just blew up?
Why crabbers does it make you so much more excited when its bad news? So desperate to point that finger and rant on
Old 08-27-2015, 02:25 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that OP did do all of the recommended oil changes.
Right, but even then, what if a cylinder was out of round from the factory and the rings let fuel into the oil, spin a bearing and let a rod go. F/I engines are a whole 'nother animal when pushed. Could go lean in one cylinder, computer thinks the air fuel is still good, boom - spit the rod out in a million pieces. I've been there, done that. Ain't fun.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GP1224
Why crabbers does it make you so much more excited when its bad news? So desperate to point that finger and rant on
Why are you so focused on trying to start a fight with everyone? It's a simple question.

Did the car blow up? Yes

Are there people (more than one) praising the engine that just blew up? Yes

So my question is WHY? I didn't say anything negative about the car at all, so why are you so intent on trying to argue about it? Do you ever contribute anything meaningful to any discussion, or do you just like to stir the pot?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:05 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,755 Likes on 4,184 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

You guys are one more negative post away from getting banned and this post deleted.....
Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

He did everything that he was supposed to yet it blew up
Old 08-27-2015, 03:32 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD

Stop with your silly childish BS.

He called you on your assertion (1 out of 100).

Rather than attack him and others just show us the data your claims are based on? That should be simple enough.

Or just admit you screwed up and meant to say 1 in 1000 which we all know is closer to the truth and move on.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Ryan427
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
You guys are one more negative post away from getting banned and this post deleted.....
I wish I could filter this thread to only see the posts from 1320n12 and Pzoom00, plus the 2-3 other relevant / useful posts. Please let them post a follow-up once they hear back from GM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:08 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

At least someone gets it. Everyone is trying to shift the blame to the owners, and that's a major dick move to kick someone while they're down.
Actually neither of you SEEM to get it.

1. No one claimed the viscosity of the oil had anything to do with this engine coming apart. Every respected oil manufacture makes a heavier weight oil for additional protection for high heat and constant revs where lighter viscosities tend to thin out. That's why 20W-50 was formulated. At high revs where bearing loading is high the last thing you want is crankshaft to piston rod metal to metal contact due to thin oil. HiPo engines have failed for no other reason than lack of viscosity at sustained rpm in high heat.

2. Oil contamination in an engine that turns thousands of RPM is an absolute reason for engine failure. It takes time but in HSOP engines that have high bearing loads contaminated oil will quickly destroy one.

Anyone anywhere versed in HSOP IC or turbine engines will tell you this.
Based on your post we know you are intelligent. So surely you know this as well?

So it begs the question what is your motive here?
Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Ryan427
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
So it begs the question what is your motive here?
To win an argument on the internet, like almost every other post in the past 5 pages.

Can you all just meet at the flagpole after school to settle this? A YouTube video of that would be much better than the rest of us having to trudge through this thread for relevant info.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:19 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Please do ban some of the constant trolls because I (and I am sure others) are very weary of having to cut through the same repetitive negative BS to glean useful information from these threads. Even keeping my ignore list updated doesn't help that much because of the quoted text from those who have never added anything useful to a discussion in this section.

Get notified of new replies

To C7Z blows up at Mid-Ohio

Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Hey I'm bullet proof!!! I've changed mine 3 times in 1800 miles!!! At 500....before track day last Monday at Mid Ohio and back to stock oil last night!!!! I hope I don't jinx myself.

Can anyone guess at the downside of driving with the 15W 50 racing oil on the street? Since I drive to the track I always have a few days of street use OK maybe a week on each side where I drive with the heavier oil?

I understand all the perceived bashing comments and those who think their toes are being stepped on. Bottom line for me is this is the most expensive car GM produces and we should not even be having these discussions. I know nothing is 100%. BUT if I were running GM I would have called each and every owner, sent them a certified letter...what ever and informed them of this 500 mile oil change deal. COMMUNICATE!!!!

To me they have not learned from the cavalier key problem that stinkin Congress had to have hearing on. An engine exploding on a track could be catastrophic.

They have my email address are always sending me marketing Emails......... get stinkin OnStar crap all the time......... why not say Dear Greg, you need to get you oil changed ASAP. We know we cut the free oil changes from 4 to 2 but ya know what this one is on us!! Come on in!!! So simple but they don't get it.
I have 24 seasons and approx. 23,000 miles on my engine running Mobil 1 15w 50 on track/street without any issues.oil changes every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

No one noticed that GM is handling the situation appropriately? Sht happens. It sucks but if GM backs it up then move on.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzoom00
The 2015 car is one of the best cars I have ever driven and tracked Period.

I throughly enjoy lapping people at the track in it.

That's why I was so shocked as to how this car broke and caught fire.

GM is making the situation right though with no problems and that's what really matters

good point, Ed...

Quick Reply: C7Z blows up at Mid-Ohio