C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Did I Get Ripped Off on Z06 Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:28 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by 1dayzpay
Why would you even want chrome rims? Black is much nicer and meaner!
Do you feel better now? Apparantly having the financial means to buy a Z06 doesn't mean you have class.

I didn't see where I was requesting opinions on whether you like chrome wheels.

So, what compelled you to be a jerk?
The following 2 users liked this post by RACE U:
svtkeith (05-09-2020), Trent S (12-02-2021)
Old 08-23-2015, 05:52 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
The option is $2,000 for chrome wheels.

I just took mine off this weekend to clean the inside of them. Yes they are stamped made in china and the inside surface I noticed is very rough. I have not had any issue with any finish coming off. So far the chrome has been near perfect.
Love your wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Trent S (12-02-2021)
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U
Do you feel better now? Apparantly having the financial means to buy a Z06 doesn't mean you have class.

Agreed!!

Hope GM goes good for the chrome issue...would like to see a pic as to exactly what's happening...as far as the made in China thing..well there is way more than we know being made in China bottom line is they are going to look awesome on your Vette....
Trent S (12-02-2021)
Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Hawkdriver12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same complaint regarding my chrome wheels. The chrome is perfect, but the 'paint' on the barrel portion is less than perfect. You have to be careful on what type of cleaner you use, because it will take off some of the finish. I used goo gone to remove the 'corvette' on the back of my car and had no issues, but when I tried to use the same to remove some tar on the inside of the barrel, it took off a bit of the finish. It had to be touched up. Seriously considering getting the barrels powder coated, but I don't know how the chrome would hold up to the heat on application. Anyone with any thoughts?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkdriver12
I have the same complaint regarding my chrome wheels. The chrome is perfect, but the 'paint' on the barrel portion is less than perfect. You have to be careful on what type of cleaner you use, because it will take off some of the finish. I used goo gone to remove the 'corvette' on the back of my car and had no issues, but when I tried to use the same to remove some tar on the inside of the barrel, it took off a bit of the finish. It had to be touched up. Seriously considering getting the barrels powder coated, but I don't know how the chrome would hold up to the heat on application. Anyone with any thoughts?

The surface wasn't prepped well before the paint went on is what's happening there...powder coating it sure should cure the issue and make it easy to clean but bottom line this shouldn't be happening.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM
HOUSEOFWHEELS
Supporting Vendor

Received 301 Likes on 269 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '11

Default Wheels

Your very wellcome
Bob
Old 08-24-2015, 04:07 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by HOUSEOFWHEELS
All of the 2014 and early 2016 wheels for Corvette were coming from China.Starting around 8/15 the wheels are now made by Speedline in Mexico including new Zo6 wheels.Our experience so far is that all the Gm wheels from both suppliers are excellent quality
Bob
House of Wheels
561-445-7606
I hear the quality is fine, but China then Mexico? What's next, the slums of Somalia?
Old 08-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,577 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkdriver12
Thanks good to know, when I washed mine I just used car soap and water and a brush, didn't have any issues with the finish. I also used one of those green pads to get some of the harder stains off and some tar.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:37 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got a set of new take-offs. 1 wheel has the grey paint faking off on the barrel. BTW, the entire wheel is chromed, then the barrel is painted. Likely cheap paint on chrome with less than great preparation.

I'm going to give the barrel of the one wheel a light sanding, wipe down with solvent, and shoot with the best color match I can find in a rattle can. Then lightly polish the clear coated chrome and treat the wheels with a quality automotive paint sealant.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE U

I hear crickets.

Good Job Race U! Some people are raised that way and have no clue how to be nice. What happened to the "Golden Rule"?
Trent S (12-02-2021)
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 PM
1dayzpay
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignorance..

Originally Posted by DSOMonster
I hear crickets.

Good Job Race U! Some people are raised that way and have no clue how to be nice. What happened to the "Golden Rule"?
You guys are really being baby's!!! I wasn't trying to be disrespectful!!!! I was just giving my opinion! I guess in the back of your head's you know I'm right! Chrome wheels on a Z06 is not a good look!!!! Just kills the car! That's my opinion and you can have yours.. Think what you want as long as you enjoy your car that's all that counts!!! So enjoy buddy!!! I could say a lot more but I'm gonna keep it classy!!! Enjoy your cars people!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Default Stuck in the 80's

Originally Posted by DSOMonster
Some of us are stuck in the 80's...namely ME!
I'm right there with you buddy. I ordered chrome wheels on my new 16 Z06.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:18 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MSG C5
You can also have your existing wheels powder coated black instead. Less expensive than new wheels plus the powder coat will be more durable than the OEM black paint. As to the OP, I thought the OEM chrome wheels only had chrome on the face and not on the barrel. What finish is coming off the barrel?
That's a doable option I have not given much thought.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 AM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
I just got a set of new take-offs. 1 wheel has the grey paint faking off on the barrel. BTW, the entire wheel is chromed, then the barrel is painted. Likely cheap paint on chrome with less than great preparation.

I'm going to give the barrel of the one wheel a light sanding, wipe down with solvent, and shoot with the best color match I can find in a rattle can. Then lightly polish the clear coated chrome and treat the wheels with a quality automotive paint sealant.

i would use some kind of primer first for better
adhesion !
Old 08-26-2015, 06:32 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Redc7z06
The option is $2,000 for chrome wheels.

I just took mine off this weekend to clean the inside of them. Yes they are stamped made in china and the inside surface I noticed is very rough. I have not had any issue with any finish coming off. So far the chrome has been near perfect.
Beautiful car!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:33 PM
K.Shupe
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

You guys are really being baby's!!! I wasn't trying to be disrespectful!!!! I was just giving my opinion! I guess in the back of your head's you know I'm right! Chrome wheels on a Z06 is not a good look!!!! Just kills the car! That's my opinion and you can have yours.. Think what you want as long as you enjoy your car that's all that counts!!! So enjoy buddy!!! I could say a lot more but I'm gonna keep it classy!!! Enjoy your cars people!
A swing.......... and another miss. Classy would have been "sorry guys, no offence intended" without the name calling and dogmatism.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:04 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

No worries. His response just confirmed my initial thoughts.

His initial posting just rubbed me the wrong way. And his response just confirmed he actually meant what he said. Oh well.

Get notified of new replies

To Did I Get Ripped Off on Z06 Chrome Wheels

Old 08-29-2015, 11:10 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
I'm right there with you buddy. I ordered chrome wheels on my new 16 Z06.
I am on my fifth Corvette. All ordered with Chrome Wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertbruce:
Outlaw Joe (05-08-2020), svtkeith (05-09-2020)
Old 08-30-2015, 02:50 AM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Go ahead and "say a lot more". I am curious to see what more ya got! It seems you labor to "keep it classy".

Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 AM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I am on my fifth Corvette. All ordered with Chrome Wheels.
Long Live the BLING!

Quick Reply: Did I Get Ripped Off on Z06 Chrome Wheels