C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

B92 Exposed CF Hood Insert Horror/Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:25 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default B92 Exposed CF Hood Insert Horror/Disaster

Stopped in at my local chevy dealer today to see a '16 Z06, TR, with B92, I have read many forum post about guys complaining about this and that, however this $2K option was very disappointing as follows: the insert was not centered, a 1/4 inch off to the passenger side, the entire passenger side has a white exposed edge, where the paint did not cover, the drivers side, painted up to the CF, but wavy. Definite verticle edge at paint, not a smooth transition. Dealer believes all B92 will be defective and as the warranty claims come in the B92 will go on constraint for the rest of the '16 build. This is important to me, my TPW is Aug. 17th and i have ordered this option. By the way the customer rejected the car, dealer acknowledges that it would be difficult to fix, and will ask the factory for a new hood w/o the CF insert. I hope the dealer is wrong and this is the exception, ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT HAS TAKEN DELIVERY OF B92 AND WAS IT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! will wait to get responses. thnaks, TEDDIE

Last edited by rockit1; 07-31-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:02 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 373 Likes on 221 Posts

Mine was perfect.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 PM
rockit1
Racer

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
Mine was perfect.
thank you, this really helps reassure me.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Mine was the first one delivered at Kerbeck, judge for yourself:

Looks centered to me.

Last edited by Speednet; 07-31-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:16 PM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if the entire hood is made of CF why would they need to use an
"insert" ? i kinda thought the exposed area was simply taped off
and left unpainted then the whole hood is clear coated ?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ParishM
I'm guessing they prime the painted areas and the CF center section is left exposed and then coated with that expensive clear coat that is used on the exposed CF roof. Sounds like the primer was exposed and not covered by base coat on the car in the OP.
S.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Eagle3sh
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen and touched one. Not impressed. Not a smooth transition. This would get tanked at a custom car show.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

If you're the kind of person who inspects their car with a magnifying glass, then you may not like the joining of the insert with the hood. It is definitely an insert -- not just an exposed piece of hood. You can run your fingers over the joint and feel a seam where the piece are joined.

That being said, they do a remarkable job of joining two pieces of carbon fiber, and it looks absolutely beautiful.

You'll always hear certain people who say they don't like this or that, but if you like the exposed carbon fiber look on your car, the hood insert is really a great addition. I don't regret my purchase in the slightest. It adds so much to an already beautiful car.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:47 PM
rockit1
Racer

Default Joint issue i can accept, will paint protect over

Originally Posted by Speednet
If you're the kind of person who inspects their car with a magnifying glass, then you may not like the joining of the insert with the hood. It is definitely an insert -- not just an exposed piece of hood. You can run your fingers over the joint and feel a seam where the piece are joined.

That being said, they do a remarkable job of joining two pieces of carbon fiber, and it looks absolutely beautiful.

You'll always hear certain people who say they don't like this or that, but if you like the exposed carbon fiber look on your car, the hood insert is really a great addition. I don't regret my purchase in the slightest. It adds so much to an already beautiful car.
it is the alignment and exposed primer that is unacceptable and wavy edge.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

Thats what I thought too. And $2k for that?
Old 08-01-2015, 06:49 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

All hoods are CF like the tops, the ones that are perfect are left unpainted in the exposed area, all the rest are painted.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This maybe one of those times it pays in quality to have a museum delivery

@Speednet..... Is your car midnight blue? If so which wheels did you get?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

If the hood is CF, why wouldn't they do it like they do with the exposed carbon fiber roof?
It almost seems like they're adding another component for no reason.
S.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by george vee
All hoods are CF like the tops, the ones that are perfect are left unpainted in the exposed area, all the rest are painted.
Well, that's not true. It's an insert.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rockit1
it is the alignment and exposed primer that is unacceptable and wavy edge.
Alignment is perfect. It is not wavy. And I don't believe there is any primer exposed. Of course, I have seen the levels of nitpicks on these forums by some members, and it is way over the top (IMHO). So I understand that some people will find the CF hood unacceptable. However, most people will love it. I do.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:16 PM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, that's not true. It's an insert.

still don't understand why they would bother with an insert
when the entire hood is made of CF ?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Snorman

If the hood is CF, why wouldn't they do it like they do with the exposed carbon fiber roof?
It almost seems like they're adding another component for no reason.
S.
It is probably a mass-production thing. Corvettes are not like Ferraris or Lambos, where a craftsman hand-preps and buffs out each individual piece. That's what it would require in order to make the hood one piece.

The hood would have to go through several steps, and it would be cost-prohibitive to pump out 5,000 of the things per year. They would end up costing $8,000-$10,000 apiece (which is what one of the exotics would undoubtedly charge).

They are doing it in a way that the car can be mass-produced. That's my guess anyway.

It's still an excellent result, don't let the Debbie Downers sway you until you see one in person.

Edit: By the way, I know that most people are under the impression that the exposed CF roof panel is one piece with the outside parts painted, but it would not surprise me at all if it was 3 separate pieces bonded together onto the roof panel structure. It would be much more cost effective to build that way -- and less chance of small errors in the paint process ruining good exposed CF parts.

Last edited by Speednet; 08-01-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To B92 Exposed CF Hood Insert Horror/Disaster

Old 08-01-2015, 10:34 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

still don't understand why they would bother with an insert
when the entire hood is made of CF ?
There are many different types of carbon fiber used for different purposes. Likely the hood is not made out of the weave you are used to seeing so they add a layer for the stringer stripe.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Bullet32
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It is probably a mass-production thing. Corvettes are not like Ferraris or Lambos, where a craftsman hand-preps and buffs out each individual piece. That's what it would require in order to make the hood one piece.

The hood would have to go through several steps, and it would be cost-prohibitive to pump out 5,000 of the things per year. They would end up costing $8,000-$10,000 apiece (which is what one of the exotics would undoubtedly charge).

They are doing it in a way that the car can be mass-produced. That's my guess anyway.

It's still an excellent result, don't let the Debbie Downers sway you until you see one in person.

Edit: By the way, I know that most people are under the impression that the exposed CF roof panel is one piece with the outside parts painted, but it would not surprise me at all if it was 3 separate pieces bonded together onto the roof panel structure. It would be much more cost effective to build that way -- and less chance of small errors in the paint process ruining good exposed CF parts.
I'm with you! Got my aw today with b92 it looks great! Love it
Old 08-02-2015, 08:12 AM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

I saw this in person myself. Thought it looked good! If you like the exposed cf.

Quick Reply: B92 Exposed CF Hood Insert Horror/Disaster