C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Considering a Mustang GT350R over a new Z06...am I crazy??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
11Mike
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Poll answers need changes, the Z06 does not have heat soak issues.

Well...I voted...and put down the down payment on the 2016 Ford Mustang GT350R.

The pictures are exactly how I ordered mine. These are not my car...mine is not built yet!! Black with Black over the top stripes...

I Love my C6Z06 and may even pick up a C7Z06 once all of the cooling gremlins are worked out. I realize the GT350R will ever be as fast as a C7Z06, but I am truly hoping it can do what my C6Z06 has done for the last 5 years at Road America...run 20-30 minute HPDE sessions on track without overheating or issues AND then drive on home.

Over the past 5 years I have added what I believe are balanced modifications that bring up the performance across several areas-not just one such as more POWR!!! I tried to increase all areas of performance that would help on a track (Cooling, Suspension, Braking, Power, Reliability). The modifications: a Dewitts radiator to lower coolant temps further as I have added HP (Unbelievable mod...coolant temp read 208 at the END of a session!!!), the AP Racing F&R Competition Brakes (A VERY necessary upgrade to ANYONE who tracks their Z06 at more than a moderate pace), LG Coilovers, Katech K501 Cam, Dynatech Headers, Monster Clutches twin disc setup, Corbeau Evolution X Seats (THESE SEATS are awesome in the C6's) http://corbeau.com/fixed-back-seats/...tion-x.htmland , and of course the obligatory preventative head work performed by American Heritage. The car is frickin' perfect at Road America...the throttle response is AMAZING...the power is there. I am keeping this car. Just looking for something I can run at the track and have fun with on the street. The Z06 does have plates and is streetable but the drivability around town is not great with the K501 cam.

I DO LOVE the look of the new C7Z06! Who knows, maybe after I get the GT350R it will not be impressive and I will trade it in on a C7Z06...I just think that getting a hold of a GT350R is going to be difficult. I talked to at least 50 dealers. Out of the 50...6 had an R. The largest Ford Dealer in the country is getting 2 R's...1 is still available if anyone wants it...only $50K over MSRP! This is just plain stupid...needless to say I did not order my GT350r from this stealership.

I ordered mine and the price was over MSRP, but a price that was somewhat reasonable considering the supply of these cars. I think these are very special cars. They may be extremely hard to find second hand, so I saw this as possibly my only opportunity to pick one up. The future will tell whether I am an idiot and they become very easy to find and buy. Right now I am excited.

I will post pictures when she arrives.

Last edited by 11Mike; 08-10-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 08-10-2015, 02:15 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Mike
Well...I voted...and put down the down payment on the 2016 Ford Mustang GT350R.

I Love my C6Z06 and may even pick up a C7Z06 once all of the cooling gremlins are worked out. I realize the GT350R will ever be as fast as a C7Z06, but I am truly hoping it can do what my C6Z06 has done for the last 5 years at Road America...run 20-30 minute HPDE sessions on track without overheating or issues AND then drive on home.

Over the past 5 years I have added what I believe are balanced modifications that bring up the performance across several areas-not just one such as more POWR!!! I tried to increase all areas of performance that would help on a track (Cooling, Suspension, Braking, Power, Reliability). The modifications: a Dewitts radiator to lower coolant temps further as I have added HP (Unbelievable mod...coolant temp read 208 at the END of a session!!!), the AP Racing F&R Competition Brakes (A VERY necessary upgrade to ANYONE who tracks their Z06 at more than a moderate pace), LG Coilovers, Katech K501 Cam, Dynatech Headers, Monster Clutches twin disc setup, Corbeau Evolution X Seats (THESE SEATS are awesome in the C6's) http://corbeau.com/fixed-back-seats/...tion-x.htmland , and of course the obligatory preventative head work performed by American Heritage. The car is frickin' perfect at Road America...the throttle response is AMAZING...the power is there. I am keeping this car. Just looking for something I can run at the track and have fun with on the street. The Z06 does have plates and is streetable but the drivability around town is not great with the K501 cam.

I DO LOVE the look of the new C7Z06! Who knows, maybe after I get the GT350R it will not be impressive and I will trade it in on a C7Z06...I just think that getting a hold of a GT350R is going to be difficult. I talked to at least 50 dealers. Out of the 50...6 had an R. The largest Ford Dealer in the country is getting 2 R's...1 is still available if anyone wants it...only $50K over MSRP! This is just plain stupid...needless to say I did not order my GT350r from this stealership.

I ordered mine and the price was over MSRP, but a price that was somewhat reasonable considering the supply of these cars. I think these are very special cars. They may be extremely hard to find second hand, so I saw this as possibly my only opportunity to pick one up. The future will tell whether I am an idiot and they become very easy to find and buy. Right now I am excited.

I will post pictures when she arrives.
I'm just saying that heat soak isn't the same as cooling issues - the poll answer says heat soak.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 436 Likes on 249 Posts

Yea well, since Ford cannot manage to build the GT350R in any reasonable quantity the real world pricing is very close to that of the vette. Its not 20k cheaper.

An since none exist or have even been tested by the media, how do we know the 350R will do track duty without any prep or revisions such as cooling. All previous Shelby's have needed significant upgrades to be able to run track duty.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
I'm just saying that heat soak isn't the same as cooling issues - the poll answer says heat soak.
Cooling issues as in cannot keep heat soak from occurring?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Cooling issues as in cannot keep heat soak from occurring?
You do know that any FI car, overheating issue or not, have heat soak, right?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Yea well, since Ford cannot manage to build the GT350R in any reasonable quantity the real world pricing is very close to that of the vette. Its not 20k cheaper.

An since none exist or have even been tested by the media, how do we know the 350R will do track duty without any prep or revisions such as cooling. All previous Shelby's have needed significant upgrades to be able to run track duty.
That's a dealer business model issue. Ford can decide how many to build and the dealer marks up above MSRP.

Regarding other Shelby's, none have been touted for track duty that I ever recall. Supercharged, solid axle heavy cars more suited for the dragstrip.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Originally Posted by four0nefive
You do know that any FI car, overheating issue or not, have heat soak, right?
Of course, and if the cooling system, which includes airflow, is designed properly for extreme duty, offsets that. But that is the reason superchargers are not used in sanctioned road course racing series.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:23 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

That's a dealer business model issue. Ford can decide how many to build and the dealer marks up above MSRP.

Regarding other Shelby's, none have been touted for track duty that I ever recall. Supercharged, solid axle heavy cars more suited for the dragstrip.

Ford GT had the same issues.

Heat soak is NOT a given for a FI car. The intercooler system CAN be made high enough capacity to never heat soak. From all reports the Z06 comes closer to this in stock form than any other FI production car built so far. It can still be improved.

The Z06 limits are engine cooling and as a related tangent, oil cooling. Not air charge temps normally referred to as heat soak where power is reduced due to IAT temps and low density charge.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 PM
1776DAVE
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

wow that stang is nice and mean looking !
first thing I want to establish is
heck ya have to put a red ball on any pony cars antenna to find them in a parking lot!
you can spot the C7 Corvette in the lot by the people standing around drooling over it
2ed
there are a BOAT load of base 20,000$ v 6 Mustangs and v 6 Camaros
that look a lot like their 450 HP brothers..
AND none of those pony cars look like a world class supper car
3ed the high performance versions of those are 3X what the base price is
on the other hand
there is not an A$$ load of 20,000$ base line corvettes ... (is there?)
the base line C7 starts at 56k ad 5 k for a race ready Z51 and
if you want a MONSTER for less then 2x base you can have the Z06...
and there is NO muskrat or care car that will complete with a Z06...
Simply put the choice IS ...
around 60k for some thing that you HAVE to look at closely to see what it is from the dearth of them on the road or
60K for some thing that jumps out at every one as to exactly what it is !
an American world class supper car...
ps I have owned a 66gt convertible mustang and a 87 5.0 High Output convertible mustang and a 67 SS Impala convertible with 375 hp on a 350sb
and two t top 76 corvettes ...
and I liked my base Corvettes better...
I have on order a 16 artic white & red z51 coup

Last edited by 1776DAVE; 08-10-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Ford GT had the same issues.

Heat soak is NOT a given for a FI car. The intercooler system CAN be made high enough capacity to never heat soak. From all reports the Z06 comes closer to this in stock form than any other FI production car built so far. It can still be improved.

The Z06 limits are engine cooling and as a related tangent, oil cooling. Not air charge temps normally referred to as heat soak where power is reduced due to IAT temps and low density charge.
I forgot about the GT. And I heard that as well. The ALMS GT wasn't supercharged either.

I'll say that currently, heat soak for a roots-type supercharged car is nearly unavoidable under extreme track duty (racing) without engineering compromises that remove it from being a viable option for racing.

Thank you for that distinction of heat soak and IAT, that does focus the conversation better. Here is a question: Can the IAT be reduced like the C7Z but the supercharger itself causes additional heat build-up of the block, engine bay airflow and hence coolant and oil?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice car, and what a great sound. Over all though hopefully the new Stangs don't have the problematic cyl 8 failure issue and a better trans vs that garbage MT82 Chinese tranny like the last gen.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I forgot about the GT. And I heard that as well. The ALMS GT wasn't supercharged either.

I'll say that currently, heat soak for a roots-type supercharged car is nearly unavoidable under extreme track duty (racing) without engineering compromises that remove it from being a viable option for racing.

Thank you for that distinction of heat soak and IAT, that does focus the conversation better. Here is a question: Can the IAT be reduced like the C7Z but the supercharger itself causes additional heat build-up of the block, engine bay airflow and hence coolant and oil?
Yep. That's part and parcel a problem with a roots supercrapper. No one who is serious about making horsepower, in the mod community seeks out a Roots Supercrapper unless there are rules telling them to do so. You either go centri, or turbo. You are beating the *** out of the air with a roots, or TVS. That heat has to go somewhere. Part of that heat is through conduction. Tons of heat is in the air, and forced into the C7s liquid intercooler (Which wouldn't be necessary if they used real boost, ala procharger, or turbo, they could instead run air to air.)
That hot coolant in turn has to go somewhere.

The C7s heat issues, stem from an undersized radiator, the roots supercrapper, combo. All corvettes come with an undersized radiator from the factory, mostly for cost reasons. Couple that with the dirt cheap supercrapper, a pretty obstructing grill, and there you go.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Yes, but not likely in the way you are thinking. Its not heat from the blower being added to the block. Its additional hp being generated by the engine. A FI engine generates the heat for the HP applied to the trans as well as the HP applied to the blower. For a 650 HP FI engine, the power consumed by the SC is on the order of 75 to 100 HP. So its generating the engine heat load of a 750 HP engine when under load. When not under load, the parasitic load is actually very small for a PD blower spinning a a vacuum. This is why they are used by OEMs vs centrifugal blowers. The fuel economy loss is much lower for the PD blower.

Last edited by jcthorne; 08-10-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Nice car, but PRICEY wheels!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11508059...ls-costs-about
Old 08-10-2015, 05:42 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another interwebs myth. This also debunks the overrev bs.

http://www.svtperformance.com/2015/0...0-source-book/
Old 08-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Yes, but not likely in the way you are thinking. Its not heat from the blower being added to the block. Its additional hp being generated by the engine. A FI engine generates the heat for the HP applied to the trans as well as the HP applied to the blower. For a 650 HP FI engine, the power consumed by the SC is on the order of 75 to 100 HP. So its generating the engine heat load of a 750 HP engine when under load. When not under load, the parasitic load is actually very small for a PD blower spinning a a vacuum. This is why they are used by OEMs vs centrifugal blowers. The fuel economy loss is much lower for the PD blower.
Isn't the casing of the supercharger getting hot and effectively being a heat generating manifold bolted to the cylinder heads/block vs. a composite intake manifold?
Old 08-10-2015, 06:28 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Love the GT350, would be an interesting comparison to see it vs the C6 Z06. Both have similar power but the Z is lighter.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a Mustang GT350R over a new Z06...am I crazy??

Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a track "bread" animal? White or wheat? LOL.

Could it get any bigger or busier up front?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Deuuuce
Racer

Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR
It's a track "bread" animal? White or wheat? LOL.

Could it get any bigger or busier up front?
Whatever it is, hopefully it's gluten free.

It has a lower hood supposedly than the standard GT. Lots off cooling needed as well, as we all know.....

We can thank the EU for ridiculously high hood these days, which effects the styling of the entire car.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever it is, hopefully it's gluten free.

It has a lower hood supposedly than the standard GT. Lots off cooling needed as well, as we all know.....

We can thank the EU for ridiculously high hood these days, which effects the styling of the entire car.
Yeah, it looks like a snow plow. I guess the pedestrians will be safe when struck though. lol

Quick Reply: Considering a Mustang GT350R over a new Z06...am I crazy??