C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Viper VS Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:57 AM
timber wolf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iker
Also the Z06 owner state that he didn't use NO left to shift feature! He also traps 149mph in that particular race! Later he ran 155mph.
Were you at the event? Your information is wrong. His trap for that run was 143.76 and mine was 148.31. I am holding the time slip in my hand.
Please don't spread misinformation to make yourself feel better.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:06 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by timber wolf
Were you at the event? Your information is wrong. His trap for that run was 143.76 and mine was 148.31. I am holding the time slip in my hand.
Please don't spread misinformation to make yourself feel better.
Greg, I posted that because Im not sure what slip was against you. they don't have the car names on there. I have 10 slips and I guess we ran earlier. Later in the day I 149 against a 152 and I thought that was you. Also my highest in the day was 155 starting slightly above 60 (the supercharged grey M3 went hard out of the flag). What I should do next time as put the slip infront of the camera after every race I know whats what. This time I just stuffed em in my pocket. At the end of the day my times did improve a good bit with confidence in no lift shifting but Greg also said his did I believe. In any case regardless of speed because I don't have the slips any longer, the viper's 4th gear will win every time. I don't know how much that tune really adds but the viper pulls harder in 4th than the Z06. I feel no way to match that without a mod advantage. In the lower gears as you can see the cars are dead even until the moment I began the shift to 4th and its over.

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 07-15-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:19 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Stock Z vs tuned Viper. I'll take my clic back
Thanks
True but it walked away in 4th pretty strong. Like I said above I don't know what that tune adds but nineball claimed 30-40whp. Even without that I think the gearing is stronger in the viper and the outcome would have been the same but maybe closer. Guys I know there is the war between these 2 cars, on a road race course I don't know that the viper will be faster, but in this event the viper is just a faster car.

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 07-15-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:28 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
True but it walked away in 4th pretty strong. Like I said above I don't know what that tune adds but nineball claimed 30-40whp. Even without that I think the gearing is stronger in the viper and the outcome would have been the same but maybe closer. Guys I know there is the war between these 2 cars, on a road race course I don't know that the viper will be faster, but in this event the viper is just a faster car.
Well in all fairness it the Viper was tuned, you were stock, and not the A8 that is that much quicker again for rolls. Good race for the first 100mph though for a stock Z stage 2. Will be nice to see the difference if you tune your Z next time around.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:34 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GP1224
Well in all fairness it the Viper was tuned, you were stock, and not the A8 that is that much quicker again for rolls. Good race for the first 100mph though for a stock Z stage 2. Will be nice to see the difference if you tune your Z next time around.
Agreed but the viper was a stick also. I would have to say the race as "pretty" fair. Yes he had a tune but that 30-40 didn't win the race. For the sake of argument, lets say the viper was stock and my times were based on the later in the day with no lifting (which is great BTW, I didn't trust it at fist) and I had removed my aero, I still think the viper wins but maybe by a nose. it would be a damn close race. As if it already wasn't it. I was expecting more distance in 4th then the outcome was. Thing pulls hard up top. The Z didn't seem to have that same strength in 4th as it did in 3rd. Trust me I wanted that win but it not going to happen stock to stock in that situation (again I don't believe the tune won that race)

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 07-15-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:38 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

The gearing is almost identical between the Z06 and the Viper when you factor in the larger diameter rear tires on the Viper.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Agreed but the viper was a stick also. I would have to say the race as "pretty" fair. Yes he had a tune but that 30-40 didn't win the race. For the sake of argument, lets say the viper was stock and my times were based on the later in the day with no lifting (which is great BTW, I didn't trust it at fist) and I had removed my aero, I still think the viper wins but maybe by a nose. it would be a damn close race. As if it already wasn't it. I was expecting more distance in 4th then the outcome was. Thing pulls hard up top. The Z didn't seem to have that same strength in 4th as it did in 3rd. Trust me I wanted that win but it not going to happen stock to stock in that situation (again I don't believe the tune won that race)
Yeah thats when the 8 speed really seems to shine, but the M7 also has its pros. I would like to see both cars again if you had a tune in just to see the difference in how the Z pulls seems you kind of have a base line now with the Viper which pull very hard for sure.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:01 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Greg, I posted that because Im not sure what slip was against you. they don't have the car names on there. I have 10 slips and I guess we ran earlier. Later in the day I 149 against a 152 and I thought that was you. Also my highest in the day was 155 starting slightly above 60 (the supercharged grey M3 went hard out of the flag). What I should do next time as put the slip infront of the camera after every race I know whats what. This time I just stuffed em in my pocket. At the end of the day my times did improve a good bit with confidence in no lift shifting but Greg also said his did I believe. In any case regardless of speed because I don't have the slips any longer, the viper's 4th gear will win every time. I don't know how much that tune really adds but the viper pulls harder in 4th than the Z06. I feel no way to match that without a mod advantage. In the lower gears as you can see the cars are dead even until the moment I began the shift to 4th and its over.
The official scoreboard has your best at 8.7 and 143. But there is a known issue with the data. Some runs however were ignored depending on starts...
Old 07-15-2015, 02:02 PM
timber wolf
Racer

I still think the way the Z falls off in 4th, it has to be a timing issue with computer pulling out.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I do a lot of organized roll events, trap speeds can vary quite a bit due to many factors. You can't really compare your various trap speeds to determine if you ran better, or not. Starting mph varies, sometimes the actual point where you take off varies, and some cars are already accelerating to the point where the hopeful take-off speed is set. All you can really hope for is an even start, and then whoever crosses the finish line first.

I've always said the cars were basically dead even through 3rd gear, but once at the top of 3rd and higher, the Viper pulls away very hard. That was even how my runs against them went. It is also evidenced on their similar 1/8-mile trap speeds, but the Viper is 2-3 mph faster by the end of the 1/4. I do think an A8 Z06 will hang better, until it goes into 5th+, where it seems to have a large gearing drop-off.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:57 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

I dunno, with 30-40 hp less, the Viper would have had more ground to make up, he might have been able to with almost 5 more mph at the end (but without the tune it wouldn't have been that high either), it would have been close I think
Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timber wolf
The official scoreboard has your best at 8.7 and 143. But there is a known issue with the data. Some runs however were ignored depending on starts...
It also has me at 128 lol I never ran outside of 140's
Keep in mind not only the tech issues they were having but I was 6 and so was someone else who was supposed to be 9. Or the other way around they didn't tell us when they gave out numbers. There are a few people mentioning the posted data is off. I know 155 was my best but I also know my start speed was above 60 so I didn't really count it

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 07-15-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:36 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tail_lights
I dunno, with 30-40 hp less, the Viper would have had more ground to make up, he might have been able to with almost 5 more mph at the end (but without the tune it wouldn't have been that high either), it would have been close I think
Of course it will be closer but not enough. The viper is hands down stronger in the high gears. its ok guys, there are 2 truth's in racing:
1. $hit will break
2. Always someone faster

All in all the Z is a fast car and did great. Keep in mind its designed for downforce and at speeds it does that great that's what it has such good lap times. But as we all know downforce = drag. The viper does not have that level of downforce and its NA so heatsoak and timing pull isn't a concern.
Im not trying to turn this into a dick swinging contest, if I was I would be the one saying it wasn't fair cuz it was tuned and I still had my aero on blah blah blah. I was outrun by a worthy competitor.
At least that civic didn't get us or we would both have to sell our cars.

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 07-15-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:14 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Of course it will be closer but not enough.

Well, you were there so it is hard to argue LOL. The lens and your spacing distorts the outcome, how many cars would you say he got you by?
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tail_lights

Well, you were there so it is hard to argue LOL. The lens and your spacing distorts the outcome, how many cars would you say he got you by?
Not much, I was say my nose was on his rear bumper but that gap would only getting bigger as the speed climbed. I could tell he was just walking away
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Sound is subjective but I never cared for the sound of the Viper V10. Sound like an angry UPS truck to me. I like the car though.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Silversnake2015
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SMH still viper vs z06 daycare arguments.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper VS Z06

Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Im not trying to turn this into a dick swinging contest, if I was I would be the one saying it wasn't fair cuz it was tuned and I still had my aero on blah blah blah. I was outrun by a worthy competitor.
Glad to see a true car enthusiast, who can appreciate both cars and have a civilized discussion on them. Need more people like you.

Tony
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Then I would add a Halltech intake and get 40 rwhp back.
Looks like that would be more even. Then add an MGW shifter too!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 PM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Then I would add a Halltech intake and get 40 rwhp back.
Looks like that would be more even. Then add an MGW shifter too!
Not really because tuning is mapping the entire rev range which will better results than just slapping on an intake. A proper tune makes all the difference.

Quick Reply: Viper VS Z06