C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hesitation from idle - M7

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Frank02
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hesitation from idle - M7

My Z06 seems to have a hesitation at idle... almost like it miss fires when you first step on the gas. Also at idle the exhaust tone is not constant almost like a miss.... hard to explain but i know my C5 with a Corsa exhaust runs very smooth with a constant burble at idle. Does anyone else have this happening?
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Tripleblk6spd
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank02
My Z06 seems to have a hesitation at idle... almost like it miss fires when you first step on the gas. Also at idle the exhaust tone is not constant almost like a miss.... hard to explain but i know my C5 with a Corsa exhaust runs very smooth with a constant burble at idle. Does anyone else have this happening?
Is the car stock? What mods?
Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Frank02
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tripleblk6spd
Is the car stock? What mods?
Sorry should have given a little more details... bone stock with only 250 miles on it. It was the first thing i noticed when i did the inspection. Dealer checked it and said it was normal??
Old 07-03-2015, 06:50 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Do you mean hesitation as in when you try to rev it up in neutral, or actual hesitation when pulling away?

It doesn't like to be aggressively revved up in neutral from the lowest idle rpm especially when cold, so the first rev up should be gentle and then you can rev up as much as you want, but if it's hesitating when you're driving away then it may be something specific to your vehicle.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Frank02
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by soulsea
Do you mean hesitation as in when you try to rev it up in neutral, or actual hesitation when pulling away?

It doesn't like to be aggressively revved up in neutral from the lowest idle rpm especially when cold, so the first rev up should be gentle and then you can rev up as much as you want, but if it's hesitating when you're driving away then it may be something specific to your vehicle.
Yes when i rev it up in neutral... once past the initial rev its fine when pulling away or accelerating. Same situation cold or hot...
Old 07-03-2015, 07:14 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Then yes it's normal.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

They all have that. The throttle body does not seem to rev immediately.

I think it is a delay because of the Supercharger.

Nothing to worry about.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Mine does that as well. It's normal.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 PM
0INTMD8
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fast tip in, ecu pulls timing (it actually goes negative) Why GM's calibration is like this I don't know but that is what you are feeling/hearing.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Frank02
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Fast tip in, ecu pulls timing (it actually goes negative) Why GM's calibration is like this I don't know but that is what you are feeling/hearing.
Thanks everyone for your responses... good to know it is normal however it just seems strange it would do this.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:34 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 567 Posts

That would drive me a little goofy
Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Normal man...
Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 AM
bradsvette57
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Plus, first gear is pretty tall: like 220 to 1. You have to give it some sustained gas to get rolling.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:53 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bradsvette57
Plus, first gear is pretty tall: like 220 to 1. You have to give it some sustained gas to get rolling.
Actually you don't. I thought that too but at Spring Mountain on of the instructors said to turn on rev matching and then ease out on the clutch without pressing the gas. I started doing that and get a smooth start in first every time. I also found out that when you upshift if you don't touch the throttle the rev match makes the shift so smooth it feels like an automatic. It requires a totally different driving style but it works.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 AM
bradsvette57
Instructor

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Actually you don't. I thought that too but at Spring Mountain on of the instructors said to turn on rev matching and then ease out on the clutch without pressing the gas. I started doing that and get a smooth start in first every time. I also found out that when you upshift if you don't touch the throttle the rev match makes the shift so smooth it feels like an automatic. It requires a totally different driving style but it works.
I'll give that a shot. I wouldn't do that on a quick start, i.e., one that requires a jump off the line. But Spring Mountain Instructor or not, the 220 first gear is tall and is slightly tougher to modulate, at least for me.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bradsvette57
I'll give that a shot. I wouldn't do that on a quick start, i.e., one that requires a jump off the line. But Spring Mountain Instructor or not, the 220 first gear is tall and is slightly tougher to modulate, at least for me.
It was for me as well. When I first tried the rev match, before SM, I didn't like it. I was using the throttle and basically fighting the rev match. I'd quit using it altogether before SM because I got better results not using it. It's tough, mentally, to start off in first gear and not step on the gas until the clutch is completely out but it works. Just release the clutch slowly.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:04 AM
bradsvette57
Instructor

It was for me as well. When I first tried the rev match, before SM, I didn't like it. I was using the throttle and basically fighting the rev match. I'd quit using it altogether before SM because I got better results not using it. It's tough, mentally, to start off in first gear and not step on the gas until the clutch is completely out but it works. Just release the clutch slowly.
Ill definitely try your recommendation.

Get notified of new replies

To Hesitation from idle - M7

Old 07-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Same thing here, its like clutch shudder as you increase throttle and let the clutch out...ch, ch, ch...and then roll.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:42 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

WOW! WOW! This is an excellent example of why this Forum is so great. badhabit---it is folks like you that make it great. Your tip WORKS! I read it and went out and tried it immediately--it works.

I am OK with the stick. My corvettes have all had the stick, but as I only put 3,000 to 5,000 miles on a year I am not great with it. I found 1st gear in the new Z06 to be a little troublesome---it required a lot more gas to prevent stalling than any other car I have owned.

However, following your advice and (1) putting on the rev match, and (2) easing the clutch out WITHOUT any gas works like a charm.

Thank you. I am taking my son-in-law out today to tech him how to drive a stick---this will make it so easy now.

Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by funz06
WOW! WOW! This is an excellent example of why this Forum is so great. badhabit---it is folks like you that make it great. Your tip WORKS! I read it and went out and tried it immediately--it works.

I am OK with the stick. My corvettes have all had the stick, but as I only put 3,000 to 5,000 miles on a year I am not great with it. I found 1st gear in the new Z06 to be a little troublesome---it required a lot more gas to prevent stalling than any other car I have owned.

However, following your advice and (1) putting on the rev match, and (2) easing the clutch out WITHOUT any gas works like a charm.

Thank you. I am taking my son-in-law out today to tech him how to drive a stick---this will make it so easy now.

Thanks again!
Glad I could help! Believe me I was just as amazed as you when I tried it and it worked. I'm teaching my wife to drive a stick now, in my z06.

Quick Reply: Hesitation from idle - M7