C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Safety issue at Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:56 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I think SM does a great job but they can't change the weather and it's not their fault the cars overheat. Where would they move to? Somewhere with rain and snow? At the level they're running the stage 1 the cars shouldn't be heating. That's a problem GM should address.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Doc New
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
no worry, you have to sign a waver at SM, as well as post a CC in case you damage the car. if the PS fails and you hit something, 10k can be charged to your CC.

this all has to be agreed upon before you are signed up. i realize that the bond or limits are not specifically intended for mechanical failures like the pump issue, but the contract does not specify any cause exclusions.
Does the waver specifically state warning that the PS could fail? By now, both SM and GM have to know of this issue, and if SM doesn't warn clients of this they could be open for liability suit based on negligence. Since SM is a public service (i.e. open to the public), burden of proof that the damage was caused by the client and not due to steering failure would be on SM. Same for GM. That's how class action liability suits get started. Best regards. DN
Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

I did a version of SBC and a Stick's modification to get more airflow to the area over the PS motor, and had no issues in mid to high 80dF temperatures running for the whole 20/25 minute session. Obviously not the same as running in 100dF ambient, but not far off.
Bish
Old 07-03-2015, 08:06 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Which is 130-140 degree track temps? lol
Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 AM
dtgaskal
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z06 inspired
Would you mind posting your pdr video of the 1.43 lap? I want to compare to my stingray pdr video.
You can go to You-tube to view it. Just type in : SpringMountain2015Z06 all one word it should come up.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:33 AM
z06 inspired
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dtgaskal
You can go to You-tube to view it. Just type in : SpringMountain2015Z06 all one word it should come up.
Thanks, that must be the eastern most track. We ran the middle track.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rc000e
he said v6...haha...honest mistake though...just bustin yo bawls...
1953 was an I6----blue flame special

Last edited by 05dsom; 07-03-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:17 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by *C7*
v6 ?????
YEP, 1953 & 54 were both I6'S

I thought you guys were Vette fans
Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Most capable track Corvette ever...

From what I am reading on this Forum, the Z is a great Car on the street. But, on the track a big bag of headaches. Including some safety issues.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:33 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 89L98
From what I am reading on this Forum, the Z is a great Car on the street. But, on the track a big bag of headaches. Including some safety issues.
When I was driving at Spring Mountain and my ps went out I honestly didn't notice it until Howie said his went out. The steering was stiffer but it didn't stop steering. Is it dangerous? That depends on whether or not you are able to steer it without the power. The other issues don't seem a danger, just an aggravation. I never felt like the power steering going out was dangerous because I could still control the car it just took more effort. I think that people who haven't experienced the loss of the steering should ask questions rather than give their opinions on the severity of the problems. As Jimmy Buffet would say " don't talk about the ocean if you've never seen it".
Old 07-03-2015, 11:54 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default Safety issue at Spring Mountain

That's really to bad to hear about all the issues
Old 07-03-2015, 12:02 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
When I was driving at Spring Mountain and my ps went out I honestly didn't notice it until Howie said his went out. The steering was stiffer but it didn't stop steering. Is it dangerous? That depends on whether or not you are able to steer it without the power. The other issues don't seem a danger, just an aggravation. I never felt like the power steering going out was dangerous because I could still control the car it just took more effort. I think that people who haven't experienced the loss of the steering should ask questions rather than give their opinions on the severity of the problems. As Jimmy Buffet would say " don't talk about the ocean if you've never seen it".

True. But, I don't have to go out in the rain to know I'll get wet.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM
rsilver
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I think that GM is wide open for a lawsuit. "They subsidize our SV class in unsafe cars" I can hear an attorney saying! All an attorney has to do is show the data for failures, and that GM knew about it which is pretty easy to prove. It just takes one guy to have a problem on street or track that causes injury and here comes a law suit. I sure hope no one gets hurt. Yes to the above, i have lost PS on two different cars coming over Vail pass over the years, and its no fun and dangerous ( idler and serpentine belt failures that were my fault because of mods). Yes you can steer the car depending on where you are and your speed but I can see situations where its not so easy going slower on tight mountain roads. maybe its only me. They should recall these cars ( a disaster for marketing for a marquee car) or provide a fix and get ahead of the curve for at least the PS issue because it could be life threatening. It would seem logical their engineers have or can come up with a fix. I am sure their legal department is already involved.For the engine/trans overheating on the track they can probably avoid liability unless someone sues for misrepresentation of the facts. The Cobra R guys sued ford successfully I think (add something if I am wrong) in the 90's for misrepresentation of the true HP of the car. It was way below stated values. Ford lost that one. I am sure I will get Lit for saying this by those who are indignant toward anyone who makes negative comments about their brand especially being a noob and coming from a ford. But my familiy has had C-3's for 3 generations and still does, so its not a knock on corvette. I have a 2015 Z07 A8 and had 3 C -3's one of which I still have so I want them to fix it so I can enjoy this sick machine! Not just taking potshots from the sidelines. There is bound to be a fix available and the car should do what it was represented to do. GM should step up and retro fix it for 2015/2016 and then fix it for good mid 2016 and increase the price of the car to cover their additional costs. I am headed to track in next couple of weeks after a business trip. I doubt I will be able to push the car hard, but I have no choice during the summer but to drive in 100 degree ambient temps or race only in the spring and fall. We all have other things to do than screw around with this kind of stuff on a $100K Car. If I am wrong on this, i am sure someone will tell me and hopefully i can forget about it and enjoy the car...........bob noob

Last edited by rsilver; 07-03-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:40 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rsilver
I think that GM is wide open for a lawsuit. "They subsidize our SV class in unsafe cars" I can hear an attorney saying! All an attorney has to do is show the data for failures, and that GM knew about it which is pretty easy to prove. It just takes one guy to have a problem on street or track that causes injury and here comes a law suit. I sure hope no one gets hurt. Yes to the above, i have lost PS on two different cars coming over Vail pass over the years, and its no fun and dangerous ( idler and serpentine belt failures that were my fault because of mods). Yes you can steer the car depending on where you are and your speed but I can see situations where its not so easy going slower on tight mountain roads. maybe its only me. They should recall these cars ( a disaster for marketing for a marquee car) or provide a fix and get ahead of the curve for at least the PS issue because it could be life threatening. It would seem logical their engineers have or can come up with a fix. I am sure their legal department is already involved.For the engine/trans overheating on the track they can probably avoid liability unless someone sues for misrepresentation of the facts. The Cobra R guys sued ford successfully I think (add something if I am wrong) in the 90's for misrepresentation of the true HP of the car. It was way below stated values. Ford lost that one. I am sure I will get Lit for saying this by those who are indignant toward anyone who makes negative comments about their brand especially being a noob and coming from a ford. But my familiy has had C-3's for 3 generations and still does, so its not a knock on corvette. I have a 2015 Z07 A8 and had 3 C -3's one of which I still have so I want them to fix it so I can enjoy this sick machine! Not just taking potshots from the sidelines. There is bound to be a fix available and the car should do what it was represented to do. GM should step up and retro fix it for 2015/2016 and then fix it for good mid 2016 and increase the price of the car to cover their additional costs. I am headed to track in next couple of weeks after a business trip. I doubt I will be able to push the car hard, but I have no choice during the summer but to drive in 100 degree ambient temps or race only in the spring and fall. We all have other things to do than screw around with this kind of stuff on a $100K Car. If I am wrong on this, i am sure someone will tell me and hopefully i can forget about it and enjoy the car...........bob noob
I agree Bob. I have a z06 and I don't want to worry about tracking it in warm weather. I also feel like I didn't get what I should have out of my Spring Mountain ride because of the overheating. I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs so I can see how it would be a lot harder to drive for some people than others. Either way it's not pleasant. A recall would be great but unless/until someone gets killed GM probably won't do much about it. With all the advertising about it's abilities I think GM should step up to the plate and deliver what they promised. I think a better radiator and and maybe heat sinks on the power steering or cooling for it would solve the majority of the problems.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 07-03-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
I think they should be changing the advertising hype from "most capable track car ever" to "most capable street car ever".
Old 07-03-2015, 05:49 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I think they should be changing the advertising hype from "most capable track car ever" to "most capable street car ever".
That would be a lot more accurate.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

"most capable street car ever with track potential if you want to design your own modifications and pay for them, and no track-use warranties"

not sure this plays well with the marketing dept...

sad...the car shouldn't have these problems for HPDE use.

Get notified of new replies

To Safety issue at Spring Mountain

Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 PM
BillB3672
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hoping SM will respond

I attended the 2 day with my grandson and we both had a blast, and all the staff was professional! To hear this story surprises me! I hope someone from SM's executive staff investigates and responds to this post and notifies GM of the issue! GM has had enough issues with safety lately, and I would hope this gets to the executives of GM before someone is seriously injured or killed!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:03 AM
dtgaskal
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BillB3672
I attended the 2 day with my grandson and we both had a blast, and all the staff was professional! To hear this story surprises me! I hope someone from SM's executive staff investigates and responds to this post and notifies GM of the issue! GM has had enough issues with safety lately, and I would hope this gets to the executives of GM before someone is seriously injured or killed!
I agree that the staff is extremely professional and this is a top of the line facility. At the least I would like to see them warn incoming students that the power steering could go away without notice. Some of these students are in there 70's or maybe even 80's and might not be as strong or quick to react as they once were.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Didn't Tadge say at one point the car was engineered to run without overheating up to 86 deg F. With that said, 110 degweather is doin' what was expected for the Z.

Would have been nice if that were published in the ads.

Last edited by Babaron; 07-04-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Safety issue at Spring Mountain