C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Who Has Invested in 100% Coverage Paint Protection (XPel/3m/etc)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:41 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Who Has Invested in 100% Coverage Paint Protection (XPel/3m/etc)

I am about to get my car covered in Xpel Ultimate tomorrow and, until right now, I have been set on getting the car done completely. My quote for such in Canada from an authorized Xpel dealer is (gulp) $4200 but it is the standard here regardless of brand and installer...and actually cheap considering the Z06 has so much specialized work with the aero package etc. My reasoning goes back to my mannerisms as much as it does the fact that I spend alot of time in my car; it is not simply a garage showpiece.

With this in mind, I am wondering who has invested in 100% protection and if they are happy with it? Would they do it again? Is it completely transparent when done correctly?

Thanks ahead for the answers, and even suggestions from those who haven't gone 100% coverage...
Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 PM
l888apex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the whole car wrapped in SUNTEK Self-Healing film, and paid $4,500. I think it has improved the look of the car overall (seems glossier and hid factory Orange peel), makes washing a breeze, and has eliminated my worry about stone chips which are a big issue with the Z07 package especially.

I would do it again if given the opportunity, but your level of satisfaction will come down to your installers skill set. I had a few small complaints that have diminished with time, but this is not an easy car to do as it is very angular with lots of vents and seams so make sure your installer is top notch.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by l888apex
I got the whole car wrapped in SUNTEK Self-Healing film, and paid $4,500. I think it has improved the look of the car overall (seems glossier and hid factory Orange peel), makes washing a breeze, and has eliminated my worry about stone chips which are a big issue with the Z07 package especially.

I would do it again if given the opportunity, but your level of satisfaction will come down to your installers skill set. I had a few small complaints that have diminished with time, but this is not an easy car to do as it is very angular with lots of vents and seams so make sure your installer is top notch.
My installer has a great reputation but yes, he was the first to acknowledge that this is definitely 'not a Tesla' as he put it. He states he has as much individual cutting as there is pre-cut pieces and he has asked for 3 days to make sure he has the time to spend ensuring the car is perfect.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Allflash,

Short answer---I would do it again.

A little over a month ago I had the Xpel put on everything but the roof, rear cargo lift panel, and the rear. Last Friday I had them do the roof and rear lift cargo door............didn't have the rear done because around here that cots $900---just for the rear because they have to cut around the lights, etc.

Caveat----you may end up with 'a few' VERY small white spots or bubbles----I mean very small. Talk to your installer 1st about this---it is common-----and have them go over the car with you and if they feel the imperfections in the paint will cause such spots, ask if they can rectify the situation before they start (e.g., clay the car). I wish I had done this.

When they finished the 1st time I had a good 2-3 dozen SMALL bubbles and white spots-----and they told me most would go away as the product cured over the next 2-3 weeks (leave it in the sun to cure for a few days). They were correct. I also contacted the Xpel folks in TX about this and they concurred with what my installer told me. For the original pieces installed I probably have 4 real small bubbles and one tiny white spot from the paint imperfection. Nobody would notice these if I didn't point them out----look like very small specs of dust------but, the annal doom and gloom folks that examine everyone's car with a fine tooth comb at shows etc. will pick these out and let you know about it----you know the type.

I was so pleased with the 1st install that I talked my wife and children into getting me the roof and rear cargo door done for Father's Day. This was done last Friday. It looks great----the entire car looks great. At a show this past Sunday, NOBODY believed the Xpel was on the car and they thought I was joking-----they really had to look hard in order to tell it was on.

After the 1st install, when the rear side was done and the rear cargo door wasn't---even with these parts of the car right next to each other, nobody could tell that one portion had Xpel on and the other didn't. That is how good the product is.

My two cents----also get the APSIS splash guards installed-----more important to me than the the Xpel.

FYI----it costs quite a bit more around here to get the entire car done than it does in your area, but this is my last corvette and I decided to splurge. I had the 3M on portions of my prior vette (didn't know about Xpel at the time), and after a few months I wished I had gotten more of the car covered----the plastic saved me big dollars as my front splitter took a beating and had 4-5 half dollar sized holes in the 3m, but my splitter was fine; and my grandson (almost 3 at the time) had a wonderful time playing with one of his cars on my hood and front side panels----fortunately, he could reach past the 3M.

I wouldn't look at it as an investment though---when you go to trade the car in a dealer will pretty much ignore the Xpel and stick with their black book......even in a private sale most folks will not want to pay for the Xpel (or most other mods). I did it because I want to keep the car looking good for as long as possible, because as I said, this is my last one. Not a bad last sports car to have.

Best of luck, and enjoy your car.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:17 PM
BYBY4RE
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allflash
Do it and don't think twice. I think you are as picky as I am. 3000 miles on mine with the full xpel coverage and not one chip or mark. This includes early spring driving and autocross time. I saw one with half the mileage as mine last week that was beat up pretty bad on the rear fenders and the brake intakes needed a repaint, that confirmed I made the right choice. The xpel does show where the rocks hit but the marks go away in the sun. At a minimum do the entire front half and the rear fenders and vents.

The best part is no swirl marks when you wash it.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 PM
funz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by AllFlash
My installer has a great reputation but yes, he was the first to acknowledge that this is definitely 'not a Tesla' as he put it. He states he has as much individual cutting as there is pre-cut pieces and he has asked for 3 days to make sure he has the time to spend ensuring the car is perfect.
As the post above your response notes---the installer is the key. My installer had the car for a good 3 days as well......and he put in long days working on it............it takes much longer to put the Xpel Ultimate on than it does for the 3M, etc...........to have it done right.

In my 1st post I meant to say fortunately my grandson was NOT able to reach beyond the 3M coverage on the car.........

FYI----folks will say you are crazy for spending all this money on the Xpel; several years back I felt the exact same way; then a few years ago I mellowed and had the 3M installed; and now the whole friggin car........and I would do it again in my situation. To each their own.

Even the folks in my club and at the show last weekend that said they would never spend that much money for the Xpel, 3M etc., every single one thought my car looked great.............and I could see the wheels turning in their heads----more than a few of them will be doing the same ting in time.........many asked where I had it done, etc.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM
tractorguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did our entire car in Xpel Ultimate. I wanted to do part and wife wanted to do it all. Got there and doing part took too much thinking. Took it to Nashville to a guy that has done a lot of C7's. He wrapped everything that could be wrapped and tinted windows for 5700. Seems higher than some are paying but pleased. If look close enough in right light can see some edges but there are always trade-offs. Have GM splash guards and side skirts also and hope good enough
Old 06-17-2015, 07:47 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am about to get my car covered in Xpel Ultimate tomorrow and, until right now, I have been set on getting the car done completely. My quote for such in Canada from an authorized Xpel dealer is (gulp) $4200 but it is the standard here regardless of brand and installer...and actually cheap considering the Z06 has so much specialized work with the aero package etc. My reasoning goes back to my mannerisms as much as it does the fact that I spend alot of time in my car; it is not simply a garage showpiece.

With this in mind, I am wondering who has invested in 100% protection and if they are happy with it? Would they do it again? Is it completely transparent when done correctly?

Thanks ahead for the answers, and even suggestions from those who haven't gone 100% coverage...

Had my entire car wrapped except for the back end and have been very pleased. I purchased after market side skirts and I think that has helped considerably with debris kicking up on the sides and fenders. My installer had done several Z06's before mine and gave me what I thought was a fair price - $3100.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:53 PM
jps197
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I having mine stuck tomorrow, front, 1/2 hood, mirrors, rockers and door sills, about $1,500. This is the 4th car I have had done all the same and by the same guy.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:55 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Do the entire car, I had the ultimate package done which doesn't include the full doors or quarter panels, and I have aquired a few very small rock chips but wish I would've asked and done a full vehicle wrap, would've been worth it, especially if you drive the car a lot.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:00 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the responses...I feel much better.

So next question.... I am reading Carnauba is not recommended and actually just cancelled my 1 gal order of Butter's Wax. What do you guys use to bring out the best in the paint protection coating?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:16 PM
funz06
Drifting

So next question.... I am reading Carnauba is not recommended and actually just cancelled my 1 gal order of Butter's Wax. What do you guys use to bring out the best in the paint protection coating?
Ask your installer----Xpel has a product that mine told me to put on once a month for the 1st 3 months, and then 2-3 times a year after that (quarterly, if the car was going to be driven year round). If he doesn't know about this, PM me and I can get you the name --it is out in the garage and I am too lazy to look right now, but will be more than happy to let you know if your installer doesn't have it. Then they said to use any reputable detailing spray as needed----I will use my Zaino Z-6 or Z-8 detail sprays after I use the California duster on the car---actually, I use the duster on the car when I put it in the garage; cover the car with my comforters; and then I will use the detailer as needed.

No need to wax and polish the car with other products...........
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 912 Likes on 728 Posts

FWIW I did my whole car and love it. My installer did a great job. He did tell me to only put synthetic sealers etc and not to use wax. Adam's has a product called h20 guard and gloss that i'm going to try when it comes in in the next week or so. So far I've just washed and dried it like normal but the car is much easier to keep clean and the product looks great. I'd do it again in an instant.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Hello AllFlash, we actually just recently finished a show at Barrett Jackson Palm Beach, Florida with a Z06 that is the same color and set up as yours. The car is completely wrapped with XPEL ULTIMATE by The Sign Savers of Miami, Florida. The results are amazing in pictures, but even better in person.

Name:  BarrettJacksonWestPalmBeach2015XPEL_IMG_7165-1024x683.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  336.8 KB

Regarding the wax and coatings; Once the film is applied you can use detailing products, as long as they do not contain naphtha or kerosine. This can be found on most companies MSDS sheets online.

Like funz06 said, we do sell a product that compliments the film, it is XPEL PPF Sealant. Its easy to use and works well on paint protection film. Apply one section at a time using a foam or cotton applicator. Allow to haze and remove with a micro-fiber cloth.
Name:  R1326.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  101.7 KB
Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Thank you very much! This thread has actually instilled alot of confidence and I am looking forward to bringing it into Richard Di Salvia of Protex in Milton later today!
Old 06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
99ta316
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I am dropping mine off on Monday to have the whole car done minus the rear. The installer says he doesn't like to do the rears because the heat from the exhaust causes issues with the wrap. Just can't wait. So worried about every damn truck I see. We have a lot down here in Charleston. We have a few ports and depots.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

I did everything except the trunk lid and tonneau cover for the convertible top. I had it done with Suntek and am extremely pleased with the results. I have since decided that I will also get those two areas wrapped just for piece of mind. I saw both Expel and Suntek and felt IMO that the Suntek seemed to be much less noticeable. I have gone to a few car shows and told people that the car is wrapped in it and no one believes me until I point out a seam to them. Price was around $3200 for what I had done, maybe another $450 for the other 2 areas.

Get notified of new replies

To Who Has Invested in 100% Coverage Paint Protection (XPel/3m/etc)

Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

XPel Rep.... pm'd you but can I ask... do you have the software complete for the Z06 cutouts? Does it include the side doos and the aero packages?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:08 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

As promised some piks and thoughts after having Xpel complete coverage with 35% window tint this weekend. Oh man!!!! That's truly all I can say as the pictures speak for themselves...and this is before i cleaned the car up. The shine on this car is easily 10x what it was when received and this PP is absolutely amazing!

I just need to get my hands on some of the Xpel products to maintain this now!
Old 06-22-2015, 02:16 PM
99ta316
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice. I am having mine done in the new 3M products. Had many details tell me that the new one that came out 8 months ago is great. Can't wait. Then need to get my windows tinted.

Quick Reply: Who Has Invested in 100% Coverage Paint Protection (XPel/3m/etc)