C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Jeremy Clarkson's Z06 review is in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:04 PM
wilyvet
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeremy Clarkson, Randy Pobst & Oscar Wilde

JC's review of the Z06 in The Times has had a huge response in this forum. That is his shtick - by being controversial he has attracted attention and earned a fortune as a journalist (not easy). Another outrageous Englishman, Oscar Wilde, said, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
JC reported the same phenomena as Randy Pobst: entry understeer and excessive throttle-on oversteer. When it was learned that the Z06 Pobst drove at Willow Springs was misaligned at the rear, notably the rear caster, Pobst was given another Z06 correctly aligned, and he reported the handling woes cured. Perhaps JC drove a car from the same Bowling Green alignment rack guy as Pobst's first, and he detected the same problem ... or The Stig drove the car and told JC about it. When my new Z06 arrives at the dealer's in a few weeks, the first thing done will be a rear wheel alignment. Later, if GM hasn't done anything about Z06 overheating after a few laps on a track, extra cooling capacity (fortunately JC didn't know about that one).
Old 05-16-2015, 05:06 PM
ThePabst
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wilyvet
JC's review of the Z06 in The Times has had a huge response in this forum. That is his shtick - by being controversial he has attracted attention and earned a fortune as a journalist (not easy). Another outrageous Englishman, Oscar Wilde, said, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
JC reported the same phenomena as Randy Pobst: entry understeer and excessive throttle-on oversteer. When it was learned that the Z06 Pobst drove at Willow Springs was misaligned at the rear, notably the rear caster, Pobst was given another Z06 correctly aligned, and he reported the handling woes cured. Perhaps JC drove a car from the same Bowling Green alignment rack guy as Pobst's first, and he detected the same problem ... or The Stig drove the car and told JC about it. When my new Z06 arrives at the dealer's in a few weeks, the first thing done will be a rear wheel alignment. Later, if GM hasn't done anything about Z06 overheating after a few laps on a track, extra cooling capacity (fortunately JC didn't know about that one).
As I recall, I think the one they sent for that test had a serious mechanical issue of some sort. Like the tranny or engine management. It was a stinker and the guys didn't have time to sort it out for any real testing, they never got a chance to overheat it.

I'm in my mid 50 now, but as a budding young wrench working at the local 'heat and beat' back in the mid 70's, I'd drag cars in all morning, and try to make em to run again all afternoon. (While my boss sat in the office drinking cheap whiskey, barking orders). The Corvette was always plagued with the overheating, its in their DNA. Aero cars are buggers, no real grill, big motors, emissions pushing block temps into the stratosphere, plastics and composites that will not absorb, let alone dissipate heat?? Its a miracle these things even exist in the first place, let alone work as well as they do. 78's, like I have were the original Smog hogs. They were PIGs when they were new, and mine was still a pig I got it. She was a grumpy, hot, noisy, boiling, smelly rolling oil leak. Quite frankly, it was just how the General shipped em'. Now, with a modern cam, electric fans, a triple core alum rad, better ignition, noise matting and decent modern gasketing... I would not hesitate to drive it coast to coast and back. There is no reason to think that in a few years, the real engineers, you know, guys in filthy overalls with beer breath that aren't constrained by sales projections, boardrooms, corporate politicks or having to design parts and pieces to a budget figured to the fourth decimal point,,, will have that Z06 humping at 190 rock solid degrees on an Arizona afternoon in July... rear wheels dead straight and getting 30 mpg.

Corvettes, like the one I have now, were always temperamental. Count on your new one being no different... Buy their, it's, nature have to be. Caddy and the Vette were always test beds; (oh, and world benchmarks by-the-way) they, we, you are the pioneers... Your new rig will, without fail, **** you off and not give you the up time you'd like, but it WILL be best in class, count on it.

Car guys know that, JC knows that, the jokers at BMW,,,, er,,, Car and Driver magazine know it too. Everyone is so quick to bash the Vette, not just Clarkson, it's almost everyone. Of course, none of these critics ever worry about how to afford a decent car. What, you wanna drive an Avetadore? Sure! You need a Maserati for the weekend? Where do we send it? Along with a complementary team of factory reps and wrenches.

Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, nothing, and I mean NOTHING will touch a Vette of any era for value. If you stay away from the check list and keep it real, you can still get a Corvette,,, YES a whole friggin Corvette for the cost of 25,000 mile service on a Bentley Vyron.

Last edited by ThePabst; 05-16-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't like you either Jeremy. Signed Z06
Old 05-16-2015, 10:25 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

BUILT 4L60E's can handle 1k HP. Why do you idiots think he is using a stock tranny behind his built engine?

Lots of ignorance being spread around.

BTW, Clarkson has a strong dislike for the GEN V Viper.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:02 AM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
No one believes me but I could have sworn I heard him say he bought a ZR1 back in 09.
I was just about to say the same thing. He did buy a ZR1 in '09. It was about the same time when I bought my '09 C6 Z06.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:06 AM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

His complaints are valid with the tires in the cold and wet (and he may have had some interesting alignment like motortrend did), but he's a car guy, he should know this and comment appropriately.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:17 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
BUILT 4L60E's can handle 1k HP. Why do you idiots think he is using a stock tranny behind his built engine?

Even built a 4l60e isn't going to take that kind of pounding for long.

That kind of power needs a built 4L80E.
Also maybe he should be clarifying that his trans has been modded. Because stock it sure as hell isn't going to take 1k hp without blowing into pieces.
Also you should read his posts, they're utterly hilarious.

Last edited by MavsAK; 05-17-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:23 AM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Even built a 4l60e isn't going to take that kind of pounding for long.

That kind of power needs a built 4L80E.
Also maybe he should be clarifying that his trans has been modded. Because stock it sure as hell isn't going to take 1k hp without blowing into pieces.
Also you should read his posts, they're utterly hilarious.
I think he had been drinking when he did the review
Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Zotic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarkson’s chatter is an insult to clean air, and not worth reading.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually it is 99lbs lighter. Close enough. Also you are aware is way stiffer than steel right? The C6 which was stiffer than the C5, is out done by 40 percent in rigidity of the C7.

You do realize, that a GTR 3.5 DOHC TT V6 is HEAVIER than the LT4 right? To say nothing of the weight of the 458 engine, or the F12s for that matter. SBCs are lighter, and smaller. You know why they use DOHC small displacement engines that rev to the moon? Because, europe has BS displacement regulations (ie taxes that go with it). Otherwise they'd have 6+ liter V8s too. Furthermore, large displacement DOHC engines are even bigger still than smaller and already heavier than SBC engines are.

Another advantage of high torque low reving engines? it's faster in slow and mid speed cornering. Period. There's tons of places where a lower revving engine can find speed vs a higher one.

Fun fact, aircraft manufacturers, in ww2 determined in several experiments that lower displacement higher rpm engines were flat out less efficient than a given larger displacement engine making the same power otherwise. The reason is physics. Bigger engines, in high power applications burn less fuel, and generate vastly less wear and tear. You know why F1 uses high revving engines? They have displacement limitations. Which means the only option to generate power is higher and higher RPMs.

Put it this way, the most powerful internal combustion engines on the planet aren't DOHC weeny engines. Ever stop to think of why?
Call me when F1 cars are generating 10,000 hp. They're massive, HUGE, big block pushrod engines in Top Fuel Dragsters.

Actually it does. It burns down the GT3 so hard in cornering it's not even fair to the P car. The ZO6, has MORE cornering grip, than the 918...which is vastly superior to the GT3. That should tell you something. And they all run on the same tire.

Sorry, technology has advanced since 1997. Your C5 is every bit as dated as my C4, and as two of my buddies C3s, comparatively speaking. That's assuming you actually own a corvette.

Now if you want to cry some more (by the way I'm 30..so unless you are like 12 calling me pops is actually more creepy than insulting) go right ahead.

The difference between actual car guys...and people like you... at best you're the type that just opens the wallet and has someone put something on for you....at best. There's no actual knowledge there. For you, German Engineering is something an actual thing, rather than marketing hype, and everything is mystically better, because it has a euro badge on it.
I think we're having two different conversations pops (lol, I'm only middle-aged (aka 30s))
What I've been trying to drill home is that Clarkson's position on the C7Z is spot on. He is responding to the BS marketing hype implying that the C7Z is a world class super car. As I have pointed out, the C7 is based on a very tired design and certainly not world class. The only reason why the C7 exists in the tired form that it does is because GM went bankrupt and had to cancel the mid engine program.
My C5 will blow the doors off of any stock C7, on ANY track. My C5 is most certainly not a world class supercar and, thus, neither is any car based on the same tired design. If the C7 would have used the platform it was supposed to (mid engine) with a proper super car engine and transmission then I would be blasting clarkson for his review but, of course, if clarkson had tested a proper supercar then he wouldn't have written the review he had, now would he?
LOL. Your argument as to why high end car manufactures don't use push rod engines is just stupid. Taxation is preventing Ferarri from using truck engines in their cars??!!?

Last edited by reactor2; 05-17-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:37 PM
ThePabst
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict

Oh god, even a GM pimp like me knows 4L was still-born; reminds me of the TH200 in the Vega, Monza, Aster and Forenza. It Just barely got the Cheyenne and Silverado out of warrantee and KILLED the Impala SS... I'm a tranny guy, if you think for one minute that, that grenade of a tranny was worth it's weight in dog S**t, you need counseling. Or, your used to Chrysler products... fess up.

Last edited by ThePabst; 05-17-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by reactor2
I think we're having two different conversations pops (lol, I'm only middle-aged (aka 30s))
What I've been trying to drill home is that Clarkson's position on the C7Z is spot on. He is responding to the BS marketing hype implying that the C7Z is a world class super car. As I have pointed out, the C7 is based on a very tired design and certainly not world class. The only reason why the C7 exists in the tired form that it does is because GM went bankrupt and had to cancel the mid engine program.
My C5 will blow the doors off of any stock C7, on ANY track. My C5 is most certainly not a world class supercar and, thus, neither is any car based on the same tired design. If the C7 would have used the platform it was supposed to (mid engine) with a proper super car engine and transmission then I would be blasting clarkson for his review but, of course, if clarkson had tested a proper supercar then he wouldn't have written the review he had, now would he?
LOL. Your argument as to why high end car manufactures don't use push rod engines is just stupid. Taxation is preventing Ferarri from using truck engines in their cars??!!?
Don't you think its odd that you are the only one who thinks his review is "spot on" ? And you think your modded, outdated, old C5 is in the same league as the C7?? Wow, you need to put down what ever it is you are smoking/drinking! Im guessing you have never driven a C7 ZO6?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM
ThePabst
Instructor

Originally Posted by c6bound
Don't you think its odd that you are the only one who thinks his review is "spot on" ? And you think your modded, outdated, old C5 is in the same league as the C7?? Wow, you need to put down what ever it is you are smoking/drinking! Im guessing you have never driven a C7 ZO6?
Calling someone 'Pops' is always wrong there 'Cowboy'... I'd bet you a tank of 101 that this 50 something beats your ET three out of four at Lychester next weekend.... You in?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by reactor2
So, you're going for being a creeper.
The C5 and C7 have nothing to do with one another in over all design.
And I highly doubt your C5 can handle a C7Z. I doubt it can handle my modded C4, because you think a 4L60E is capable of withstanding 1k hp. Even built that's not going to happen. That tells me all I need to know about how lacking your knowledge is.

Which by the way also has a carbon spring. (and was the first gen with them)
By the way, the C7 has a 50/50 weight distribution. Your C5 has a 51/49. Same as my C4. They are front mid engine cars.

It doesn't matter where you put the engine, if the weight distribution comes out to 50/50.

By the way, Porsche uses a tired old design for it's suspension that dates back to the 40s. Same with the second worst engine placement known to man (rear. not mid but Rear).

Actually that's exactly why. There are stiff penalties, both for owning, and selling large displacement engines in europe, which many buyers find unappealing. You think our GGT is bad? Europes make ours look like a cakewalk by and large. For that matter, European car buyers are also after a given sound, more than they are real performance.

Also, it's flat out physics. More cubic inches = more power. And more power efficiency period. Why do you think WW2 fighter planes, had such massive engines, instead of small high winding engines? The tech was there, for smaller high winding engines even in WW2. Do you know why the engineers turned to big inches? Because they're stronger, lighter, more fuel efficient and generate more power.

Why do you think NHRA engines are massive big blocks? Because to generate maximum power, you need maximum cubic inches. An F1 engine has less than 1/10th the hp of the most dialed in Dragster.
And an Alcohol funny car (which is the same fuel F1 uses) has up to 10 times the power.

Why do you think the LS 427 was banned from ALMS? And Leman in general? Why do you think, GM isn't even allowed to run a 6.2 liter V8 in the current series and is stuck with a 5.5?
Why do you think back in the 60s, Ferrari whined moaned and complained so hard and so loud, before threatening to leave Leman, to get the GT40's 427 banned? Because cubes matter vastly more than how many cams an engine has and how many rpms it turns.

Ferrari had high rpm screamers even in the 60s, and they got kicked abused, and beaten so hard they threatened to rage quit unless the GT40 had it's nuts clipped.

Fact: The C7Z has destroyed several tracks already, and has already proven to be faster than pretty much anything short of a 918 which is in the million dollar territory. It's faster than the GT3, it's faster than the GTR, in domestic AND foreign circuits.

Fact: Jeremy clarkson, has had a raging hard on against Corvette since the 60s.
Fact Jeremy Clarkson, just got canned, and is infamously known for having the temper of a 5 year old child.
Fact: JC also can't drive worth a damn.

Fact: the C7Z is more than 4x stiffer than your C5.
Fact: Your 4L60E transmission, is a joke that will blow itself to pieces at500hp, let alone 1,000 hp in stock trim. In BUILT trim it can only handle up to 750 hp, reliably. The same as a 700R4 (Because it's literally the exact same trans, aside from the electronics, champ).
Fact: you are suffering under the illusion otherwise.
Fact: Your C5 doesn't have as good of brakes, nor tires
Fact: your C5 doesn't generate downforce in stock trim. It generates lift.
Fact: To generate DF on a C5, you have to add A LOT more drag than a C7Z is going to be packing.
Fact: You're raging.

Last edited by MavsAK; 05-17-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:48 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

So, you're going for being a creeper.
The C5 and C7 have nothing to do with one another in over all design.
And I highly doubt your C5 can handle a C7Z. I doubt it can handle my modded C4, because you think a 4L60E is capable of withstanding 1k hp. Even built that's not going to happen. That tells me all I need to know about how lacking your knowledge is.

Which by the way also has a carbon spring. (and was the first gen with them)
By the way, the C7 has a 50/50 weight distribution. Your C5 has a 51/49. Same as my C4. They are front mid engine cars.

It doesn't matter where you put the engine, if the weight distribution comes out to 50/50.

By the way, Porsche uses a tired old design for it's suspension that dates back to the 40s. Same with the second worst engine placement known to man (rear. not mid but Rear).

Actually that's exactly why. There are stiff penalties, both for owning, and selling large displacement engines in europe, which many buyers find unappealing. You think our GGT is bad? Europes make ours look like a cakewalk by and large. For that matter, European car buyers are also after a given sound, more than they are real performance.

Also, it's flat out physics. More cubic inches = more power. And more power efficiency period. Why do you think WW2 fighter planes, had such massive engines, instead of small high winding engines? The tech was there, for smaller high winding engines even in WW2. Do you know why the engineers turned to big inches? Because they're stronger, lighter, more fuel efficient and generate more power.

Why do you think NHRA engines are massive big blocks? Because to generate maximum power, you need maximum cubic inches. An F1 engine has less than 1/10th the hp of the most dialed in Dragster.
And an Alcohol funny car (which is the same fuel F1 uses) has up to 10 times the power.

Why do you think the LS 427 was banned from ALMS? And Leman in general? Why do you think, GM isn't even allowed to run a 6.2 liter V8 in the current series and is stuck with a 5.5?
Why do you think back in the 60s, Ferrari whined moaned and complained so hard and so loud, before threatening to leave Leman, to get the GT40's 427 banned? Because cubes matter vastly more than how many cams an engine has and how many rpms it turns.

Ferrari had high rpm screamers even in the 60s, and they got kicked abused, and beaten so hard they threatened to rage quit unless the GT40 had it's nuts clipped.

Fact: The C7Z has destroyed several tracks already, and has already proven to be faster than pretty much anything short of a 918 which is in the million dollar territory. It's faster than the GT3, it's faster than the GTR, in domestic AND foreign circuits.

Fact: Jeremy clarkson, has had a raging hard on against Corvette since the 60s.
Fact Jeremy Clarkson, just got canned, and is infamously known for having the temper of a 5 year old child.
Fact: JC also can't drive worth a damn.

Fact: the C7Z is more than 4x stiffer than your C5.
Fact: Your 4L60E transmission, is a joke that will blow itself to pieces at 600hp, let alone 1,000 hp in stock trim. In BUILT trim it can only handle up to 750 hp, reliably. The same as a 700R4 (Because it's literally the exact same trans, aside from the electronics, champ).
Fact: you are suffering under the illusion otherwise.
Fact: Your C5 doesn't have as good of brakes, nor tires
Fact: your C5 doesn't generate downforce in stock trim. It generates lift.
Fact: To generate DF on a C5, you have to add A LOT more drag than a C7Z is going to be packing.
Fact: You're raging.
Clarkson really hates the Corvette

http://jalopnik.com/5119353/jeremy-c...st-car-of-2008
Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM
ThePabst
Instructor

What you need to do is delete your part of this thread and respect your fellows.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:06 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by harlold
Watch his reviews of the C6 and ZO6.

And say he doesn't hate corvettes again with a straight face.
For that matter, his review of the C4 too, which you can find on youtube.

Get notified of new replies

To Jeremy Clarkson's Z06 review is in.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:13 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,842 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Those reviews are on Top Gear though, which are never to be taken seriously. If he'd hated the car so much, he wouldn't have purchased a 2009 ZR1. But as it turns out: he did.

I think you're taking his attitude towards cars a bit too seriously and you're playing right into his hands doing that. Unclench, loosen up, and enjoy what he says and writes.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:06 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

And say he doesn't hate corvettes again with a straight face.
For that matter, his review of the C4 too, which you can find on youtube.
He loved the ZR1, your argument he hates the Corvette are just complete bunk.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:46 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Those reviews are on Top Gear though, which are never to be taken seriously. If he'd hated the car so much, he wouldn't have purchased a 2009 ZR1. But as it turns out: he did.

I think you're taking his attitude towards cars a bit too seriously and you're playing right into his hands doing that. Unclench, loosen up, and enjoy what he says and writes.
Originally Posted by harlold
He loved the ZR1, your argument he hates the Corvette are just complete bunk.
More still besides TG, watch his attitude towards the vette in The Beast.

The guy's got such a hate going that it's borderline obsessive.

Buying a ZR1 and having like of ONE Corvette doesn't mean jack. Not compared to the rest.
Also, I don't think it's coincidence that the vette that frankly kicks his ZR1's ***, is the one he hates on either. Especially since he just got canned from his job.

Frankly, JC's opinion doesn't matter or count aside from the fact that people take him seriously. JC is a comedian, and a second rate one at that. But people take it straight up.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson's Z06 review is in.