C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Top speed 177, this thing must have a ton of drag.
Don't think they said that was its top speed but rather it achieved 1 ton of down force at that speed. Top speed will be north of 190 for sure
Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What!?

Originally Posted by Toilets
Don't think they said that was its top speed but rather it achieved 1 ton of down force at that speed. Top speed will be north of 190 for sure
Old 05-09-2015, 07:39 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I would not be surprised if the 177 mph is the ACR top speed. That is faster than necessary for every road course that I can think of. Even the TA got a reduced top speed, due to the simple aero added.

206 mph - non aero Gen 5 Vipers
193 mph - Viper TA (and any with the TA aero)
177 mph - Viper ACR

Makes sense.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:48 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
I would not be surprised if the 177 mph is the ACR top speed. That is faster than necessary for every road course that I can think of. Even the TA got a reduced top speed, due to the simple aero added.

206 mph - non aero Gen 5 Vipers
193 mph - Viper TA (and any with the TA aero)
177 mph - Viper ACR

Makes sense.
Here's my shot at predicting the future;

Now that Tony has posted, and only using his above comments - posters will state this proves that he only wants to promote the Viper, hates the Z06 and it will be his fault this thread is moved to the other cars section - and likely locked indefinitely.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:57 PM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Have they announced the price of the ACR yet?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:18 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vtknight
Here's my shot at predicting the future;

Now that Tony has posted, and only using his above comments - posters will state this proves that he only wants to promote the Viper, hates the Z06 and it will be his fault this thread is moved to the other cars section - and likely locked indefinitely.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLKTA
Have they announced the price of the ACR yet?
No. Most estimate between $120-130K though. The TA is $105K, and the ACR doesn't have a lot more added to it, other than the carbon brakes, larger aero, and fancy interior bits. You'd still have to deduct the cost of the parts that got replaced from a TA.

Bilsteins coil-overs vs electronic mag-ride cost?
Carbon vs steel brakes?
Interior carbon accents cost?
Larger wing vs shorter wing cost?
Larger splitter vs TA splitter cost?
Wheel/Tire costs are likely a wash.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
While Dodge introduces another incredible and capable ACR Viper GM gives us this?

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...-z06-c7-r.html

"Chevrolet Introduces 2016 Corvette Z06 C7.R Edition
Track-to-street connection honored with limited production model
"

I would rather they honored the "Track-to-street connection" with some serious hardware. The last time I looked at the real C7.R I must have missed the "yellow contrast stitching and striped wheels with yellow brake calipers". What I saw was AP Racing, BBS, Pratt-Miller, and whole raft of serious performance components that could be incorporated into a real track capable Corvette in same way they were in the Z06X concept car of a few years ago.

At some point, if you ignore customers long enough, they will go elsewhere.
You know corvette is getting watered down when they take a regular Z06 and put some stickers on it and call it a C7.R.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Dethred
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think it loses to the new Z06! A8 or M7! In straight line then there still putting V-10's Please buy 1 then check back and give us a report.
Cause there is not 1 bone in my body that wants one.
I'm traveling a few 1000 miles with mine soon. Getting 25 MPH!
In comfort.
The Viper is piece of crap for that! Oh no radio! either and lumpy ride .
The 12 mpg highway this Viper is going to get is making a gas thirsty track car. I heard the track gas is expensive.
If it beats the Z06 after a few laps who cares. It is not going to break the Z06 single laps time EVER! This car needs to compared to the C7
real track car. If want you talk tracking.
So we're pushing the metric for a car back to fuel mileage, long road trips, and sales. I take it all you sad folks are aspiring to buy the next Toyota Corolla? Oh corvette forum, you're so precious.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:21 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Dethred
So we're pushing the metric for a car back to fuel mileage, long road trips, and sales. I take it all you sad folks are aspiring to buy the next Toyota Corolla? Oh corvette forum, you're so precious.
check out his posts in off topic, he is really BUTT HURT
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think it loses to the new Z06! A8 or M7! In straight line then there still putting V-10's Please buy 1 then check back and give us a report.
Cause there is not 1 bone in my body that wants one.
I'm traveling a few 1000 miles with mine soon. Getting 25 MPH!
In comfort.
The Viper is piece of crap for that! Oh no radio! either and lumpy ride .
The 12 mpg highway this Viper is going to get is making a gas thirsty track car. I heard the track gas is expensive.
If it beats the Z06 after a few laps who cares. It is not going to break the Z06 single laps time EVER! This car needs to compared to the C7
real track car. If want you talk tracking.
OMG. What did this post look like before you edited it?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Dethred
Instructor

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
check out his posts in off topic, he is really BUTT HURT
Can you link it?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Dethred
Instructor

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot
For those that keep saying the ACR can't be driven every day you are totally wrong and anyone who has owned an ACR will tell you the same thing.

What is comical is whether it be an ACR or a Z06 who would want to drive it everyday anyway, real sports cars should be driven as a treat not a DD.

The fact is you can cry about wings and use ability all you want, the ACR will set the bar real high and GM has never had an answer for it.
Amen. All that really needs to be said in this thread.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Toilets

This is what the press release said....

"The 2016 Dodge Viper ACR with the available Extreme Aero package produces the highest aerodynamic downforce of any production car. During on-track testing, development engineers have experienced nearly 1 ton of downforce at top speed of 177 mph."

Pretty clear that the top speed is 177 MPH.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:34 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

From autoblog:

"Dodge instead turned to an aggressive aerodynamics package that it claims delivers nearly a ton of downforce at the Viper's maximum speed of 177 miles per hour."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/08/2...-acr-official/

I wonder where all the trolls are who claimed the C7Z06Z07 was a failure because of it's 186mph top speed?
Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
From autoblog:

"Dodge instead turned to an aggressive aerodynamics package that it claims delivers nearly a ton of downforce at the Viper's maximum speed of 177 miles per hour."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/08/2...-acr-official/

I wonder where all the trolls are who claimed the C7Z06Z07 was a failure because of it's 186mph top speed?
If I remember correctly it was the Corvette supporters that were miffed by the 186, anyone that knows anything about downforce knows it scrubs top speed Watch the entry speed the ACR will have, all because it will be so planted due to its downforce. Bottom line will be lap times, something the Z still hasn't gotten at the Ring.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Clairvoyantwolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
You know corvette is getting watered down when they take a regular Z06 and put some stickers on it and call it a C7.R.
Hmmm....

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/200...ition-car-news

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR

Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

So, do you think the Z06 C7.R will beat the ACR? That was the question I posted, not if the Viper sucks or if the brand is going to go out of business, or if it's a better road car than a Corvette. Will the Z06 C7.R be faster? After all Chevrolet told us it's the most track capable Corvette ever.
Chevy's marketing boys said "most track capable Corvette ever". Sure this may be true if you throw some money at it and void your warranty.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 AM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

So, can the Z06 C7.R take down the 2016 Viper ACR?

I've been reading the options list for the C7.R, but it's hard to find the equipment that will make this model live up the name. So we have this:

C7.R Edition graphics package

Yellow brake calipers

Black wheels with yellow accent strip and Corvette Racing-logo center caps

New visible carbon fiber hood section

Yellow contrast stitching throughout the interio

Corvette Racing sill plates

Numbered C7.R Edition interior plaque showing the build number, starting with VIN 700001

vs

"The Extreme Aero rear wing, specifically designed for air flow around the Viper's body, stands taller, sits further rearward and features unique end-plates and gurney lip to produce maximum downforce while minimizing straight line drag."

"This car is not a 1-3 lap track special. You can run the car at the track all day, and the performance doesn't fall off."

"All Vipers are engineered to withstand severe track duty in ambient temperatures of 100 degrees Fahrenheit with a professional driver."
It's a "C7.R Edition" not a C7.R.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:28 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
Watered down means a diluted product represented to be full strength and sold for the same price. I'm not seeing the basis for this claim or any sense behind all the hate. Putting some stickers on a Z06/07 slows it by how much? Makes it worse in what way? If nobody wants it, as almost nobody wanted the C6 Z06 Carbon Edition that was an actual improvement over the base Z, then the market price will plunge accordingly. Who is being cheated here? Can't possibly be those who DON'T buy one.

Quick Reply: Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR