C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
If you think about it, SRT's claim that this is not a "1-3 lap track special" applies to the Porsche 918 as well, which is the Laguna Seca lap record holder. The Porsche is likely to be faster one lap but that's it. It has to do the record by expunging all the juice in the batteries. After that the Viper will have it behind every lap.

The P1 does not have the traction to beat the Viper. I think traction will win between FMR platform vehicles. Equal aero between the P1 and Viper but the Viper has more mechanical grip. I'm pretty sure the McLaren might be heavier too if weighed on the same scale with fluids.
Oh without a doubt it was a swing at Chevy, P1, 918 all together.

Interesting times we live in.

I wonder if this will force Chevys hand to build a more extreme track car, instead of just putting stickers on a Z06 and calling it the C7.R.

At least when Dodge builds their ACR of the Viper it does it right. The C7.R is a disappointment, personally.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:51 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
Oh without a doubt it was a swing at Chevy, P1, 918 all together.

Interesting times we live in.

I wonder if this will force Chevys hand to build a more extreme track car, instead of just putting stickers on a Z06 and calling it the C7.R.

At least when Dodge builds their ACR of the Viper it does it right. The C7.R is a disappointment, personally.
Honestly, the Z06 just needs better built quality. The right comparison is still Viper TA vs. Z06 if you are shopping for the same category of car like most of us do. The ACR is in the Speciale and Ultraleggera category - cars that give up a serious amount of amenities for a bit of extra speed.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:53 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Honestly, the Z06 just needs better built quality. The right comparison is still Viper TA vs. Z06 if you are shopping for the same category of car like most of us do. The ACR is in the Speciale and Ultraleggera category - cars that give up a serious amount of amenities for a bit of extra speed.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Let's face it guys, the ACR is much closer to a real race car than the Z06. It uses massive downforce to go fast (like real race cars), and because of that it most likely will be faster.

That said, the compromises are SIGNIFICANT. But for a track toy, it will be amazing, I'm sure.

I just really like having car nearly as fast that I can drive to work, get groceries, and take road trips in. Don't forget what the Z06 really is... the ultimate usable supercar.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:30 PM
1.8t
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The ACR is likely going to decimate pretty much anything on the track and shatter records everywhere it goes. The buyer of this car isn't cross shopping it with a Z06 IMO. They are two very different cars with very different purposes. One is a completely dedicated track car you can drive on the street and the other is an incredible street car you can drive on the track.

Last edited by 1.8t; 05-09-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:45 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by 1.8t
One is a completely dedicated track car you can drive on the street and the other is an incredible street car you can drive on the track.
Basically all that needs to be said. /thread
Old 05-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Team corvette, your move...

I'd love to see a head-to-head b/t the two.

We live in an incredible age of sports motoring.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm trying to figure out why people keep acting like the C7.R Edition Z06 is anything other than an appearance package. The car is a Z07 with a Jake decal on the hood. The ACR Viper is a hard core track car that hardly anyone wants to live with for day to day driving. The Viper will be good for its intended purpose and it should be. No comparison between the two cars imo. They just have different purposes overall. I think Chevy wasted the C7.R name on this car. It would've been cool had this car been a hard core track machine like the ACR. But using that storied name just for a decal and some sill plates is kinda lame.

Last edited by Mdm23; 05-09-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:24 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I'm trying to figure out why people keep acting like the C7.R Edition Z06 is anything other than an appearance package. The car is a Z07 with a Jake decal on the hood. The ACR Viper is a hard core track car that hardly anyone wants to live with for day to day driving. The Viper will be good for its intended purpose and it should be. No comparison between the two cars imo. They just have different purposes overall. I think Chevy wasted the C7.R name on this car. It would've been cool had this car been a hard core track machine like the ACR. But using that storied name just for a decal and some sill plates is kinda lame.
Nice reply!
Old 05-09-2015, 02:38 AM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

last gasp...... for the viper

old design

V-10 truck motor

out sourced ecu tuning

super "gee wiz" wing

Hellcat Viper with A8.....dream
Old 05-09-2015, 03:17 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

That is one freaking ginormous wing!

Name:  2016-Dodge-Viper-ACR-106-876x535.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  110.5 KB
Old 05-09-2015, 03:18 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by scott76807
last gasp...... for the viper

old design

V-10 truck motor

out sourced ecu tuning

super "gee wiz" wing

Hellcat Viper with A8.....dream
Old design? Truck motor? Viper with an A8? I know this is corvette forum, but seriously, dude?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
But Chevrolet is calling it the C7.R. WTF?
Chevy is missing the boat on this one...make a cup car like the acr for those of us that we track the car, not just the goofy sticker. Since you like to bench mark Porsche (Chevy) do it right, don't go back to your old ways, (the greedy sub quality products that got you into bankruptcy)
You made a world class car with the C7, if you are going to call your top model C7R (racing edition) make it one!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Nice reply!
Awesome!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mdm23
Awesome reply
Old 05-09-2015, 06:21 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that keep saying the ACR can't be driven every day you are totally wrong and anyone who has owned an ACR will tell you the same thing.

What is comical is whether it be an ACR or a Z06 who would want to drive it everyday anyway, real sports cars should be driven as a treat not a DD.

The fact is you can cry about wings and use ability all you want, the ACR will set the bar real high and GM has never had an answer for it.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:45 AM
Mike 123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot
For those that keep saying the ACR can't be driven every day you are totally wrong and anyone who has owned an ACR will tell you the same thing.
Everyone was worried that the Z07 package was going to be so rough that it would only be good for the track and that was proven false.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR

Old 05-09-2015, 06:51 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think it loses to the new Z06! A8 or M7! In straight line then there still putting V-10's Please buy 1 then check back and give us a report.
Cause there is not 1 bone in my body that wants one.
I'm traveling a few 1000 miles with mine soon. Getting 25 MPH!
In comfort.
The Viper is piece of crap for that! Oh no radio! either and lumpy ride .
The 12 mpg highway this Viper is going to get is making a gas thirsty track car. I heard the track gas is expensive.
If it beats the Z06 after a few laps who cares. It is not going to break the Z06 single laps time EVER! This car needs to compared to the C7
real track car. If want you talk tracking.
Are you for real?

Must be one of those people who has no idea what he is talking about or is one of those people who subscribes to wax daily group.

I guess if you can't talk track, talk smack. This new ACR is a car built for those who track their car and yet all you can do is talk about how soft and cushy your ride is. Maybe you should go to the waxxer section.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:58 AM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
So, can the Z06 C7.R take down the 2016 Viper ACR?

I've been reading the options list for the C7.R, but it's hard to find the equipment that will make this model live up the name. So we have this:

C7.R Edition graphics package

Yellow brake calipers

Black wheels with yellow accent strip and Corvette Racing-logo center caps

New visible carbon fiber hood section

Yellow contrast stitching throughout the interio

Corvette Racing sill plates

Numbered C7.R Edition interior plaque showing the build number, starting with VIN 700001

vs

"The Extreme Aero rear wing, specifically designed for air flow around the Viper's body, stands taller, sits further rearward and features unique end-plates and gurney lip to produce maximum downforce while minimizing straight line drag."

"This car is not a 1-3 lap track special. You can run the car at the track all day, and the performance doesn't fall off."

"All Vipers are engineered to withstand severe track duty in ambient temperatures of 100 degrees Fahrenheit with a professional driver."

Are you buying one or the othe. What's your point
Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike 123
Everyone was worried that the Z07 package was going to be so rough that it would only be good for the track and that was proven false.
Well those that thought it would be too rough are the ones who spend their time waxing and discussing mpg instead of actual track capabilities.

Quick Reply: Z06 C7.R vs 2016 Viper ACR