C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

246 Threads on ZR1 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default 246 Threads on ZR1 Overheating

[Late Edit: I started this thread as a tongue-in-cheek way to point out that there's been a bit of a panic on other cars too, not just the new Z. It kind of ran away from there, so I want to be clear I'm not actually complaining or disparaging the ZR1. Fine car.]

Just for context. Could have been posts, not threads.

So, to save time and effort, you guys could just run this program:

10 Now I'm really worried about the ZR1.
20 Why didn't GM make it so that we could track it?
30 What an outrage!
40 GOTO 10

Or, if you're into grep, just recycle all the old threads about the ZR1 panic like so:

/ZR1/Z06/g

Last edited by davepl; 05-08-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:52 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,101 Likes on 753 Posts

I recall a few ZR1 threads concerning heat soak but there were a lot more regarding the vibration issue. That was about it for CF. I don't remember anything that was portrayed as a chronic or widespread problem with the ZR1. Not sure where you're trying to go with your search "stats."
Old 05-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Deathfly7
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't tell if serious or? Recycle using grep.... lol do you even know what grep is?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

I can tell you right now there have already been more reports from Z06 owners about over heating at the track than there ever were from ZR1 owners. The ZR1 doesn't experience over heat (limp mode) until ~95F ambient and hard track driving.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:54 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

52 threads in the ZR section with any mention of "heat" in the title. Over half of those are about upgraded heat exchangers for modded cars, several about reducing tunnel heat, some about heat ratings on spark plugs (again for modded cars), etc. Oh, and there are some 4-figure hp cars that needed upgraded intercooler bricks.

Not much for road course heat issues with the ZR, particularly stock ZRs.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:44 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thread got closed yesterday, good luck with this one.

When I had my ACR I would run all day and the only thing that went away was the grip, seems like a small s/c does not work well for road courses and heat.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot
seems like a small s/c does not work well for road courses and heat.
Pssst. It's not the supercharger causing the problems.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Really? What is the source then?
Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
Then why can a Z51 run all day and a Z06 only a few laps, and please don't blame it on the radiator.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Speednet
Really? What is the source then?
Here's a thought exercise for folks, and I'm serious about this. Ask yourself a question: what's hotter?
  1. the compressed air that leaves the supercharger and enters the engine
  2. the compressed air and fuel inside the cylinder during the compression cycle
  3. the exploded air and fuel post-ignition

If you say "1" then there's little more I can do to help you. It's "3". No matter how hot you make "1" or "2", that third choice is the hottest. By about 4 times or so. That's what's heating the LT4 (and LT1, and every other ICE in existence) up.

The key is cooling and airflow. Not for the intake. But for the engine. The LT engines appear to be challenged with coolant and oil cooling, if we're to take the data collected here and the other C7 sections. Folks are warming up Z51s on the track as well as Z06s. Not as quickly, mind you. But they're doing it.

It's not happening as quickly with the Stingrays because they're down 200HP or so. But the basic cooling packaging is identical between the two cars. Again, absorbing what's available as data here on the forums, it appears GM sized the heat exchanger in the Z51 and Z06 identically. My assumption is that they meant for it to handle 650HP, meaning it should more than easily handle the Z51's 455HP. But if the Stingrays are overheating with that radiator, what do you think the Z06s will do?

Guys like Tom DeWitt are trying to address this the right way: a better heat exchanger for the engine. So far, evidence seems to indicate his solution is helping the Stingray guys. Whether it also helps the Z06 remains to be seen.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:19 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

I agree with you. Heat Soak is in every car, as you know. You can not ignore that the LT4 suffers from it as does the ZR1. Superchargers are not great for Road Course Racing applications - Would you agree? Drag Racing is a different story.

Originally Posted by jvp
Here's a thought exercise for folks, and I'm serious about this. Ask yourself a question: what's hotter?
  1. the compressed air that leaves the supercharger and enters the engine
  2. the compressed air and fuel inside the cylinder during the compression cycle
  3. the exploded air and fuel post-ignition

If you say "1" then there's little more I can do to help you. It's "3". No matter how hot you make "1" or "2", that third choice is the hottest. By about 4 times or so. That's what's heating the LT4 (and LT1, and every other ICE in existence) up.

The key is cooling and airflow. Not for the intake. But for the engine. The LT engines appear to be challenged with coolant and oil cooling, if we're to take the data collected here and the other C7 sections. Folks are warming up Z51s on the track as well as Z06s. Not as quickly, mind you. But they're doing it.

It's not happening as quickly with the Stingrays because they're down 200HP or so. But the basic cooling packaging is identical between the two cars. Again, absorbing what's available as data here on the forums, it appears GM sized the heat exchanger in the Z51 and Z06 identically. My assumption is that they meant for it to handle 650HP, meaning it should more than easily handle the Z51's 455HP. But if the Stingrays are overheating with that radiator, what do you think the Z06s will do?

Guys like Tom DeWitt are trying to address this the right way: a better heat exchanger for the engine. So far, evidence seems to indicate his solution is helping the Stingray guys. Whether it also helps the Z06 remains to be seen.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by JG853
You can not ignore that the LT4 suffers from it as does the ZR1. Superchargers are not great for Road Course Racing applications - Would you agree?
I would say that forced induction of any type is a sub-optimal but easy way to make big torque numbers. It adds mass and complexity to the engine packaging, but it's also the world we live in now. Without massive changes to people writing the laws, we're not going back.

Managing the air intake temps are always a good thing to prolong the onset of heat soak. And that's usually a lot easier to do with NA than it is FI. But FI is what we have, and that's all we're going to have for the foreseeable future.

As SBC_and_a_stick has suggested, we really need a sticky or FAQ or something in this section that outlines the differences between IAT-induced heat soak, and engine overheating. It appears as though folks are instantly pointing their fingers at the supercharger and saying that's what's causing the LT4's problems. It's not, unless you consider the massive amount of torque it's producing as being the cause. I think it would be handy to separate those issues so that folks can have intelligent discussions about each without crossing the streams.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM
HumanWiki
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

/ZR1/Z06/g

Looks more like something I'd use with sed directly or passed to from grep with xargs.

The BASIC lines got a chuckle from me.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
I would say that forced induction of any type is a sub-optimal but easy way to make big torque numbers. It adds mass and complexity to the engine packaging, but it's also the world we live in now. Without massive changes to people writing the laws, we're not going back.

Managing the air intake temps are always a good thing to prolong the onset of heat soak. And that's usually a lot easier to do with NA than it is FI. But FI is what we have, and that's all we're going to have for the foreseeable future.

As SBC_and_a_stick has suggested, we really need a sticky or FAQ or something in this section that outlines the differences between IAT-induced heat soak, and engine overheating. It appears as though folks are instantly pointing their fingers at the supercharger and saying that's what's causing the LT4's problems. It's not, unless you consider the massive amount of torque it's producing as being the cause. I think it would be handy to separate those issues so that folks can have intelligent discussions about each without crossing the streams.
Thanks for two excellent informative posts.

There are some people who really don't know the source of heat issues, and there are some who hope to see the Z06 fail, so they'll keep repeating whatever information sounds bad. At least your posts can help inform the former.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:41 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by HumanWiki
The BASIC lines got a chuckle from me.
I'm working on rewriting it in 8086 assembly.

There's a POP somewhere... a PUSH here... oh dammit I just crashed the machine again. Hang on, rebooting...
Old 05-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
52 threads in the ZR section with any mention of "heat" in the title. Over half of those are about upgraded heat exchangers for modded cars, several about reducing tunnel heat, some about heat ratings on spark plugs (again for modded cars), etc. Oh, and there are some 4-figure hp cars that needed upgraded intercooler bricks.

Not much for road course heat issues with the ZR, particularly stock ZRs.

Just because they have "heat" in the title doesn't mean they are overheating. Let's pretend they are though (which they aren't). That does absolutely zero to address the C7Z heat issues. Just because it happens to another car doesn't make it acceptable.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:48 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Then why can a Z51 run all day and a Z06 only a few laps, and please don't blame it on the radiator.
Someone gets it!

Get notified of new replies

To 246 Threads on ZR1 Overheating

Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Someone gets it!
Tears will be flowing, Dodge just announced the new ACR that will run all day and again own the track.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Tears will be flowing, Dodge just announced the new ACR that will run all day and again own the track.
Yeah, just like the Hellcat owns the C7 Z06. lol
Old 05-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

INB4 the lock.

Hellcats and ACRs don't have much to do with the C7Z heat issues (neither does the ZR1 for that matter).

Quick Reply: 246 Threads on ZR1 Overheating