C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hearbroken!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:36 PM
pauldd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hearbroken!

. Just at dealership for courtesy dealer pickup of my 3lz black on black z07 with tpw 3/30, money wired to original dealer 10 days ago and paid in full including state tax.
Arrived at dealership excited, pumped to get this awesome car that I have been waiting for since December as I waited to get an A8. I just flew in from 10 days in Dubai so a little jet lagged.
Saying that as soon as I saw the car in showroom all I could see is wall to wall orange peel. The white Volt and black Camaro sitting beside my car in show room were "show cars" compared to mine. Opened the car and was greeted by horrible looking competition black seats. There were multiple wrinkles and the leather, as well as 1 cm of extra material that I could pinched on each bolster.
1. If I take the car off the lot , I own it. Original dealer would pay for 3rd party detail , but if paint was still no acceptable since I drove it off the lot they would not take it back.
2. Seat could be warranted but would need to order skins for both seats and they don't guarantee the outcome will be any better.
Quite disappointed that car so expensive would look so poorly. At this point I am likely to send it back to original deal, get my money back and forget about corvettes for a while.
Seems like I am the only one with such a poor looking car. Any advice? Will make final decision tomorrow. Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

How customized is this order? If not too custom, chances are you could find another similar car with the help of our forum vendors in a short time. If this car is exactly as you must have one as far as options, only choice is to trust them to make it right or order another one.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey don't let one rotten apple spoil the barrel. If the dealership will not make it right take your money and go to another dealership. We as consumers pay good money for these cars and remember if you cannot locate the one how you want then order a 2016 !! Just my $.02
Good luck on your decision !
Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 PM
kennb44
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldd
. Just at dealership for courtesy dealer pickup of my 3lz black on black z07 with tpw 3/30, money wired to original dealer 10 days ago and paid in full including state tax.
Arrived at dealership excited, pumped to get this awesome car that I have been waiting for since December as I waited to get an A8. I just flew in from 10 days in Dubai so a little jet lagged.
Saying that as soon as I saw the car in showroom all I could see is wall to wall orange peel. The white Volt and black Camaro sitting beside my car in show room were "show cars" compared to mine. Opened the car and was greeted by horrible looking competition black seats. There were multiple wrinkles and the leather, as well as 1 cm of extra material that I could pinched on each bolster.
1. If I take the car off the lot , I own it. Original dealer would pay for 3rd party detail , but if paint was still no acceptable since I drove it off the lot they would not take it back.
2. Seat could be warranted but would need to order skins for both seats and they don't guarantee the outcome will be any better.
Quite disappointed that car so expensive would look so poorly. At this point I am likely to send it back to original deal, get my money back and forget about corvettes for a while.
Seems like I am the only one with such a poor looking car. Any advice? Will make final decision tomorrow. Thanks
Seat repair aside, I will be seeing my car in about 2 months and have plans to wetsand and buff after delivery no matter what. Orange peel on these cars is legendary. A good sand and buff and you'll have the best one on the block.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I can't believe that GM is letting cars like this get through the system!

And to think that GM MIGHT BE SELLING a $150,000 mid engine Corvette in 2017 is pure folly if they can't get the small details right. Customers at that price point expect much better. Come on GM get your act together.

Find a different Z06. I would not take that car home. Unbelievable!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

OUCH I had worried too about my ordered car. The stories about some not happy with the silver paint . Mine came and is fantastic with really no orange peel to speak of.
I had thought about what your faced with good luck!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 PM
charliek
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kennb44
Seat repair aside, I will be seeing my car in about 2 months and have plans to wetsand and buff after delivery no matter what. Orange peel on these cars is legendary. A good sand and buff and you'll have the best one on the block.
Be very careful wet sanding and buffing. The clear on factory paint is not very thick and is easily burned through.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 PM
pauldd
Heel & Toe

Default Heartbroken

I was so upset tonight sorry for all the spelling mistakes. I have a 911 with the sport seats and the leather is perfect now a few years after purchase, the black paint looks great. I was shocked at the finish of this 100K car, its not even in the ballpark. Hopefully I just got a bad one as everyone seems to love the trim and details of their cars
Old 04-28-2015, 10:40 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by charliek
Be very careful wet sanding and buffing. The clear on factory paint is not very thick and is easily burned through.
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't wet sanding compromise paint protection due to a thinner clear coat
Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Had my comp seat replaced "twice" an it got worse each time with wrinkles.wondering about the paint correction.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:05 PM
pauldd
Heel & Toe

What do you mean wondering about paint correction? Glad to hear I am not the only guy in the universe with problems
Old 04-28-2015, 11:09 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,449 Likes on 2,273 Posts

If it were me, I'd do my best to work with the selling and delivering dealer to unwind the deal, get my money back and order another car.

My car and others have been delivered with good fit and finish. Unfortunately there have been some that haven't. There is some inconsistency to them.

Don't let a bad example scare you off - they do make good ones - and they are an absolute blast to drive.

Sorry you're in this spot, has to be frustrating.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

What do you mean wondering about paint correction? Glad to hear I am not the only guy in the universe with problems
Wondering if it will comprimise the paint from doing the correction.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 PM
pauldd
Heel & Toe

Me too that is my biggest worry. What happens if I get the car wet sanded and something happens to the basecoat or thins the already thin clear coat so I get less paint protection? Once I drive the car off the lot , I own it and have less recourse if the detailing/sanding . goes badly.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was so upset tonight sorry for all the spelling mistakes. I have a 911 with the sport seats and the leather is perfect now a few years after purchase, the black paint looks great. I was shocked at the finish of this 100K car, its not even in the ballpark. Hopefully I just got a bad one as everyone seems to love the trim and details of their cars
You have to have realistic expectations though. The fit and finish on the Z is not going to be as good as a Porsche. Doesn't mean it's a bad car.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 PM
pauldd
Heel & Toe

Really !!! If you are the flagship GM car playing the 100k plus super car game the fit and finish should be good. I have a black Volt, black Tahoe and Black Escalade all of which have better fit and finish than the Z06 I was to pick up tonight
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 PM
phoenix1017
Intermediate

I love my car but I've said this several times since I bought it, it's the worst paint job I've ever seen on a ninety thousand dollar car. However my paint wasn't a deal breaker for me. Good luck with that. A/W, red interior, stage 1, black wheels, carbon fiber splash guards

Get notified of new replies

To Hearbroken!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:13 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default too late i now...

Really !!! If you are the flagship GM car playing the 100k plus super car game the fit and finish should be good. I have a black Volt, black Tahoe and Black Escalade all of which have better fit and finish than the Z06 I was to pick up tonight
but i always buy one already in stock. may have to compromise a little but no surprises.

always a little surprised at how some folks just sort of willing to go with the flow no matter the issue.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:04 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
You have to have realistic expectations though. The fit and finish on the Z is not going to be as good as a Porsche. Doesn't mean it's a bad car.
BullSH!T my buddy has a 991 and a Macan BOTH with a ton of orange peel. I know a few M4 and M5 owners and all have orange peel. This whole its a Porsche so it doesnt happen is a pile of horse ****. Just look at every GT3 has had its engine replaced as well or all the DI engines with carbon issues.

Last edited by GP1224; 04-29-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:07 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree that you should be taken care off as this isnt an issue that is JUST because its a Corvette. Here is new owner that couldnt be happier

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...g-awesome.html

Get the paint correction done and it will be perfect and tell them to order you new seats right away and tell them to have the seats inspected with a picture BEFORE they are sent. Its not a huge deal as this happens all the time even for Porsche owners.

Quick Reply: Hearbroken!