C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

To all C7 Z owner that have/had C6 ZR1 Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To all C7 Z owner that have/had C6 ZR1 Part 2

Hi All,
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or make anyone mad. Just like my first post, now that the new Z has been out for a while, I'm hoping to get some feedback from owners that have or had a C6 ZR1. I'm not asking if it's faster. I'd like to know how do they compare? Has anyone regretted trading in the ZR1, if anyone has? I'm thinking about trading my ZR1 for a 16 Z. I love the ZR1, but I'm wondering if the the new one is worth the trade. Would I be sorry?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hand Eye 8
Hi All,
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or make anyone mad. Just like my first post, now that the new Z has been out for a while, I'm hoping to get some feedback from owners that have or had a C6 ZR1. I'm not asking if it's faster. I'd like to know how do they compare? Has anyone regretted trading in the ZR1, if anyone has? I'm thinking about trading my ZR1 for a 16 Z. I love the ZR1, but I'm wondering if the the new one is worth the trade. Would I be sorry?
I'd be shocked if anyone here would admit that they regret trading in their ZR1. Your honest assessments will come from people who continue to own BOTH. Other than that, look outside this forum.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 PM
c6z07
Racer

Just wait for the 2017 zr1.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 PM
dakotagoon
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi All,
2010 ZR1 with LMR Slayer package sold for my Z07. No regrets. One drive was all it took. No worries.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I didn't trade my ZR in on the new Z, I kept it. I've got a soft spot for my ZR as the dang thing is just simply a blast to drive, and bullet-proof reliable/durable. I like it enough that while waiting on delivery of my new Z I put some money into my ZR for some upgrades with a Lingenfelter package. So I enjoy having them both.

As similar on paper as they are, they really drive out and feel significantly different. I'll keep my comments stock to stock, as I mentioned I recently modded my ZR and it's a noticeable different animal than it was stock. The new Z is a better balanced car, with less push and better rotation in turns. Ride is similar, altho I think the new Z is a bit quieter. Interior of the new Z has better fit and finish and better materials, and comp seats in it shame those in the ZR. I actually like the ergonomics of the ZR better, and its gauges are easier to read at a glance, at least for me. Paint finish is better on my ZR.

ZR's LS9 is stouter built, responds very well to mods, and it seems to handle heat better than the new Z. The ZR pulls harder up top - but you really got be up top - i.e. 140 and up. LS9 IMO sounds better than the LT4, and revs more freely, altho not as free wheeling as the LS7.

South of 130, there isn't much the ZR can do better than the new Z, and in some areas it's inferior to it - i.e. the more neutral handling and better ride, and better interior. All things considered, I'd give the new Z the nod as a better overall driver, stock.

Looks are subjective. I think the ZR looks great and will age gracefully. I'm not convinced the new Z will age as well, but only time will tell on that.

Tough to go wrong with either one, they are both great cars. If you're going to use it as a DD, then get the new Z. If it's not a DD but an occasional fun car, that would be tougher choice.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Love my ZR1 and love the new Z06 and my 2008 Z06. Was loving the idea of all of them. But when you start getting towards 60. Idea's change. I'm ready to gear back to the simple life.
Too much cars plus the old 63 and two pick-ups.
Plus the 1000 ninja.
6 cars is too many requires too much garage room but then 4 houses is too. So I'm going to scale down so when I stop working soon. I can play more travel with no work.
Plus I want to go boating (need a boat) like I used too.
Then I could just add the latest when it comes out.
AS MUCH AS I LOVE THE OTHER TWO CARS.
I think I may BE SMART to sell down to the new Z06.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I didn't trade my ZR in on the new Z, I kept it. I've got a soft spot for my ZR as the dang thing is just simply a blast to drive, and bullet-proof reliable/durable. I like it enough that while waiting on delivery of my new Z I put some money into my ZR for some upgrades with a Lingenfelter package. So I enjoy having them both.

As similar on paper as they are, they really drive out and feel significantly different. I'll keep my comments stock to stock, as I mentioned I recently modded my ZR and it's a noticeable different animal than it was stock. The new Z is a better balanced car, with less push and better rotation in turns. Ride is similar, altho I think the new Z is a bit quieter. Interior of the new Z has better fit and finish and better materials, and comp seats in it shame those in the ZR. I actually like the ergonomics of the ZR better, and its gauges are easier to read at a glance, at least for me. Paint finish is better on my ZR.

ZR's LS9 is stouter built, responds very well to mods, and it seems to handle heat better than the new Z. The ZR pulls harder up top - but you really got be up top - i.e. 140 and up. LS9 IMO sounds better than the LT4, and revs more freely, altho not as free wheeling as the LS7.

South of 130, there isn't much the ZR can do better than the new Z, and in some areas it's inferior to it - i.e. the more neutral handling and better ride, and better interior. All things considered, I'd give the new Z the nod as a better overall driver, stock.

Looks are subjective. I think the ZR looks great and will age gracefully. I'm not convinced the new Z will age as well, but only time will tell on that.

Tough to go wrong with either one, they are both great cars. If you're going to use it as a DD, then get the new Z. If it's not a DD but an occasional fun car, that would be tougher choice.
About my feeling's also!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Phillysays
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. Bought 2011 ZR1 for 5 months. Loved the car, but drove a c7 z06 and decided to trade it in for a z07. Only part of the zr1 I liked better was the full cf roof. Wish the entire roof of the c7 was clear coated cf. other than that, no regrets.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Hand Eye - where's your location? If you're in the DC or VB area, you can take mine out and make up your own mind.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:31 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Hand Eye - where's your location? If you're in the DC or VB area, you can take mine out and make up your own mind.
Wow, kind offer, this is what the corvette forum should always be like with helpful dialog and great offers like the one above.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Wow! That would be great! I live in Michigan, so I'm a little ways away. Thanks for offer!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Thanks for the info! It wouldn't be a DD. I put to many miles on my cars. How does the ZR1 compare modded?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info! It wouldn't be a DD. I put to many miles on my cars. How does the ZR1 compare modded?

Well, it's probably not fair to compare modded to stock. That said, my Lingenfelter ZR is laugh out loud fun to drive. If you put a gun to my head and demanded one of my vettes or my life, I toss (reluctantly) you the keys to the new Z.

But that's because my ZR is set up like I want it. Custom exhaust, HRE P40 wheels and the LPE 710 package. Well, almost done - the comp seats in the new Z so badly shame the stock seats in my ZR, those are going get upgraded to Caravaggio thrones. The dang thing is just an hoot to drive, looks great, sounds great and since I've owned it since new, I know it like a pair of well-made, worn in boots.

So - not really a fair comparison, but that's the set of keys I'd toss.

Stock to stock. . . . . I might just tell you take your best shot as I contemplate whether I can take the gun away from you. In all seriousness tho - the new Z is a better all around driver on a stock to stock comparison. Isn't as exclusive (they've already made more of them than all C6 ZRs combined (and looks are subjective), but it's a solid rig. But the good Lord willing, I plan to keep my LPE ZR forever. Whether the new Z sticks around long-term will depend on Zora.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:15 AM
Crazy Legs
7th Gear

Default ZR-1 Vs 2015 Z06 / Z07

I traded my 2013 ZR-1 60th Anniversary in on my 2015 Z06 / Z07. From the very 1st few feet of driving the 2015 it was evident that these new Z06 are far superior to the ZR cars. I still have a 2009 ZR-1 S/N 458 with 16 miles on it and traded in a 2010 ZR-1 on a 2013 60th Anniversary 427 cid convertible. Having put a few thousand miles on the 427 I was on a company trip to Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and got the chance to go back over to Spring Mountain and set in with a Stingray class and ride with the instructors (using ZR-1's) during the drive follow sessions and ask myself why in the heck did I trade a ZR-1 in on a 427 as the ZR's are head a shoulders above the 427 / 7 liter cars. I made up my mind to find a 60th Anniversary ZR-1 when I got back to Texas and so shortly after New Years 2014 I found and traded my 427 for the 2013 ZR car I have since traded for my 2015 Z06. I drank Chevrolets cool aid back in 2009 and paid $10,000 over MSRP for the ZR car I still have and since Chevy was saying they were only going to be building the ZR's for two years at around 1250 cars each year I then purchased the 2010 ZR car I wound up trading for the 2013 427 convertible. I highly recommend know one drink Chevrolets cool aid about anything they tell the public they will do or can't do and that includes pricing on new Corvettes.

All that being said the ZR-1 cars were and are great machines but this new C7 Z06 is another leap into automotive excellence over, above & beyond the C6 Technology. Sure they may still have a few issues but do not doubt that they are superior to the C6 cars!!

Respectfully,
Jon
Attached Images      
Old 04-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Thank you all for the feedback. For the owners who have both, which do you drive more? I'd really like to drive one, that would help with my decision (or hurt if I spend more money). Was anyone able to test drive a Z before you bought it? Or did you all order one?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotagoon
2010 ZR1 with LMR Slayer package sold for my Z07. No regrets. One drive was all it took. No worries.
yet you still have your avatar picture of the ZR1...?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all for the feedback. For the owners who have both, which do you drive more? I'd really like to drive one, that would help with my decision (or hurt if I spend more money). Was anyone able to test drive a Z before you bought it? Or did you all order one?
I split my time between the two pretty much equally.

I wasn't able to test drive the new Z. I ordered as I wanted and took delivery at NCM (which made for a fun trip home getting acquainted with it). Same with the ZR, except the NCM delivery.

Not disappointed in the new Z at all. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, let me know. I'll let you drive 'em both and see what you think.

Get notified of new replies

To To all C7 Z owner that have/had C6 ZR1 Part 2

Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

I wasn't able to drive my Z before I got it. I had driven several C6's including C6Z's (No ZR) prior. I was going to pick up a C6ZR but when I was ready, announcement of the C7 came out. The biggest difference that sold me is the interior. The C7’s is light-years better. Honestly, I’d go to a Chevy dealer and just sit in a C7. I know for me personally, that would be enough to have me sold; may be it will be the same for you. If not, then you could continue to pursue trying to drive one. Hopefully someone in MI chimes in with a C7Z but if not, the offer still stands. You’re welcome to fly into Reagan airport (5 min from me) and we’ll go cruising for a bit, and head out. Cost you a day and a couple hundred but could save you tens of thousands if you don’t like it.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

I wasn't able to drive my Z before I got it. I had driven several C6's including C6Z's (No ZR) prior. I was going to pick up a C6ZR but when I was ready, announcement of the C7 came out. The biggest difference that sold me is the interior. The C7’s is light-years better. Honestly, I’d go to a Chevy dealer and just sit in a C7. I know for me personally, that would be enough to have me sold; may be it will be the same for you. If not, then you could continue to pursue trying to drive one. Hopefully someone in MI chimes in with a C7Z but if not, the offer still stands. You’re welcome to fly into Reagan airport (5 min from me) and we’ll go cruising for a bit, and head out. Cost you a day and a couple hundred but could save you tens of thousands if you don’t like it.

I'm going to take you up on that. I really appreciate it!! I've driven a C7 before and the interior is much better than the C6. No doubt. I'll keep trying to find a car to drive, but who knows. We'll see.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

I split my time between the two pretty much equally.

I wasn't able to test drive the new Z. I ordered as I wanted and took delivery at NCM (which made for a fun trip home getting acquainted with it). Same with the ZR, except the NCM delivery.

Not disappointed in the new Z at all. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, let me know. I'll let you drive 'em both and see what you think.
That's awesome! I appreciate it! Thanks!

Quick Reply: To all C7 Z owner that have/had C6 ZR1 Part 2