C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM is saying it is illegal to flash your computer and punishable by law!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Solo40oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
This is the best statement from the article...

"What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology."
Well, if that is true, then they should pay to fix ALL tech problems that occur while we're 'borrowing' it
Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Cars North America

I will get rid of my Corvette and black list every vehicle manufacturing corporation that is on this list until I have zero choices. And then? I will move to a location that is NOT dependent on personal transportation. I will get a bicycle if I have to. This is just so damn asinine.

The only reason why I believe these jackasses wish to impose such a law is because they are losing money on their half-assed and incompetent mechanics at the dealerships, and the half-assed crap they roll off the assembly line. If they hired QUALITY mechanics that treated customers and their vehicles with respect, perhaps many of us would not fear having to bring our Corvettes to a dealership for repairs that directly stem from garbage QC.

GM. Who the hell are they to talk? Didn't they just require millions in bailout money? Can't even manage their own corporation properly, they want to make suggestions on ownership rights?

What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology.

Borrowing a car? Has John Deere gone full retard? I don't ever recall leaving a $60k retainer to borrow any car. I bought it. Therefore, it is mine and I can do whatever the fk I want with it. Don't like it? Come get your POS with valve issues back and give me my f@#$ing money back that I let you "borrow."

F@#$ing retards.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 PM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volvo Cars North America

I will get rid of my Corvette and black list every vehicle manufacturing corporation that is on this list until I have zero choices. And then? I will move to a location that is NOT dependent on personal transportation. I will get a bicycle if I have to. This is just so damn asinine.

The only reason why I believe these jackasses wish to impose such a law is because they are losing money on their half-assed and incompetent mechanics at the dealerships, and the half-assed crap they roll off the assembly line. If they hired QUALITY mechanics that treated customers and their vehicles with respect, perhaps many of us would not fear having to bring our Corvettes to a dealership for repairs that directly stem from garbage QC.

GM. Who the hell are they to talk? Didn't they just require millions in bailout money? Can't even manage their own corporation properly, they want to make suggestions on ownership rights?

What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology.

Borrowing a car? Has John Deere gone full retard? I don't ever recall leaving a $60k retainer to borrow any car. I bought it. Therefore, it is mine and I can do whatever the fk I want with it. Don't like it? Come get your POS with valve issues back and give me my f@#$ing money back that I let you "borrow."

F@#$ing retards.
I wont get on my soapbox about these ****** but you can sign the link below to tell these pickle kissers to shove it up there Fckng asses!

https://act.eff.org/action/fight-for...epair-your-car
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Put this petition everywhere folks. Facebook, twitter, email to your friends, and every other social media you can. Send letters to your congressmen, phone calls, the works.

This is how Net Neutrality was secured. And that one wasn't easy either.
Make a big enough stink and things change.

Last edited by MavsAK; 04-24-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 AM
bryanh99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
This is how Net Neutrality was secured. And that one wasn't easy either.
Umm... Net Neutrality....that's a good thing? Wait, never mind, wrong forum to start a political thread.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:06 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

"What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don’t actually own your car. Rather, you’re sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology."
well, ya know, you didn't build that…like dumbo would say
Old 04-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Freaked Ls3
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Funny, I just got my registration in the mail today and right next to my name it had a box checked saying I was the "owner" I guess that means nothing.

Ryle
Old 04-25-2015, 04:38 AM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
But they did give most of us Z owners a 100K warranty, 650hp and no gas guzzler tax.
I'm sure this was just a bad choice of words - but I do not know of anyone that was GIVEN any warranty or horsepower. Those were all bought and paid for. Like I said, you probably just picked the wrong words - but just wanted to clarify it so that no one thought GM was being "giving" in anyway.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:39 AM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

More and more reason to go for a Tesla. If the car companies want to push customers away, that's fine with me. Tesla actually upgrades their cars through the ECU instead of just fixing their problems like the others.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 AM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.gtrlife.com/_/gt-r/gt-r-c...ing-is-ok-r321
Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 AM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Well if I don't own it then let them make the ***** payments!
Old 04-25-2015, 02:47 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

That would be a "Dinan" tune. BMW and Dinan have a partnership. Dinan provides the warranty for the tune.

Originally Posted by boomerangj
I was talking with an aquaintance/BMW owner and he mentioned in passing that he took his BMW into his dealer and purchased a BMW authorized performance reflash of his ECU. I haven't taken the time to circle back to him and quick google search did not confirm this. But if true-seems interesting.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 PM
ncrowe
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

All I know is most of the stuff I read today is BS - who's the guy who wrote the article? where are the quotes coming from? where's the liability if he decided to fabricate part of his story to increase the amount of clicks it receives (thats how most of these guys are paid - per click)?

What really happens when someone makes something up and posts it online,prints it in the newspaper, or says it on TV?

IF you read the fine print it says "the opinions expressed......" since when did news become an opinion???? When ratings pay the bills, reporting goes out the window....

Very little reporting today is done the way it used to be - with integrity and honesty - so this story I take with a grain of salt......
Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 PM
hairymeister
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is already case law against this. Apple tried it, going after all the modified hand sets.

They also tried going after security researchers.

If you own a hand set (iPhone) you can do what you want with it, including jail break. You also can de-compile the code to see what's on it.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

good luck enforcing this.......I can see the local police being asked to come write you a ticket.....or the local judge to toss you in jail......good luck!
Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

The writing is on the wall that manufacturers have been trying to kill the aftermarket. The Gen IV Viper took a long time to get some ECU tuning. Porsche is preventing the use of common race tire sized wheels (18's) by intentionally placing control arms to make it impossible and then further prohibiting slicks.

General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volvo Cars North America

F@#$ing retards.
+1

I'd rather never buy another car than buy into that crap. They can't enforce it on cars that are already out, so I'll be driving up to 20xx whenever the law goes into effect from then on. I'll buy all Nissan if I have too.

Originally Posted by m3incorp
That would be a "Dinan" tune. BMW and Dinan have a partnership. Dinan provides the warranty for the tune.
Dinan had to sue BMW to get that privilege.......
Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Snake Driver
GM isn't only company involved in this. Manufacturers looking at trying to get ALL mods to cars made illegal due to intellectual property laws.
That will never happen. Far too much revenue made in the US for aftermarket.

Get notified of new replies

To GM is saying it is illegal to flash your computer and punishable by law!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:33 AM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Chevy boys, I know you read this forum. If you, and Porsche, BMW and MB and the others go for this, I'll just keep refurbishing C5s forever. This is reprehensible. All of this personal data collection business, in my mind, is sanctioned by the Feds, too, so it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Stop it.
Maybe they will use "Home Land Security" to get away with doing this.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:26 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volvo Cars North America
So this leaves me with McLaren, Ferrari, and Tesla...I can work with that. I dare you GM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

It's an edict from the communist White House. Your bank account no. is linked so that every time you go over the speed limit, appropriate deductions will be made. Like a cell phone, Obama will know how many times you went to the gun range. Cops will be able to drive your car via remote control.

Quick Reply: GM is saying it is illegal to flash your computer and punishable by law!