C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

First impressions.....Z06/Z07

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:23 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default First impressions.....Z06/Z07

I was able to exercise the car today a bit and as I was driving it I had some thoughts...

1. The Z07 ride while advertised to be very stiff and jarring was not in my opinion as rough as advertised. Car was in touring mode, but I really felt that it wasn't harsh (which I was led to believe based on reviews etc). I put it contrast to my '03 Z06 and it just felt great...wasn't a negative in my mind. Maybe track mode is different, but then one doesn't have to drive in that mode all the time.

2. Stereo system is absolutely the best I have ever had. To say I was impressed would be an understatement! Fantastic! Thank you GM! A+

3. Shifter....I need to get used to 7th gear....there were many times I went direct from 4th to 7th....it is just a matter of seat time I believe....let's see what I say at the end of summer.

4. Competition seats feel good above the waist but I get the left thigh comments people have made. My VW Passat was exactly the same way. I finally found this knee pad that you can use around the garden, about 3/4" thick and I would put that on the seat. There was just enough height that my left butt check no longer was aggravated by the car seat. Eventually over many miles of seat time the left side was no longer as stiff and feels fine. I am hoping the same thing works here, or I will have to take it to the shop I use for interior work on my cars I have built and have him do his magic to save my butt!

5. People just love this car...I had to stop on the way home at the grocery store. After getting what I needed, went back out to the car and a woman driving a minivan asked me if the car was a 2015......I said it was and she commented how nice it looked. I have had many people tell me that. It is just a beautiful car!

I am very pleased and looking forward to that 500 mile oil change......
Old 04-17-2015, 04:27 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
1. The Z07 ride while advertised to be very stiff and jarring was not in my opinion as rough as advertised. Car was in touring mode, but I really felt that it wasn't harsh (which I was led to believe based on reviews etc).
No one who actually rode in one ever claimed it was a harsh ride.

There were just a lot of people on this forum that got their panties in a bunch over a random anecdote from someone over a pre-production car (if I recall correctly it was something like "my wife didn't like the ride").
Old 04-17-2015, 04:37 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by occar

There were just a lot of people on this forum that got their panties in a bunch over a random anecdote from someone over a pre-production car (if I recall correctly it was something like "my wife didn't like the ride").
My Z07 is a very smooth and comfortable car in Tour mode. I drive that way when I have a guest in the car (wife, son or colleague), otherwise I am in Sport or Track mode all the way. Track mode is quite firm, so I reserved that for smoother road. I would not change a thing about the ride quality. Also, my car is lowered to about two fingers between tires and wheel well all the way around. Looks and feels perfect to me. All of matter of preference I suppose
Old 04-17-2015, 06:58 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I guess it depends on what you are used to.

My '61 Corvette, with heavy duty front springs,and very stiff 5 1/2 leaf rear springs, I don't consider bad. I can even drive the car for several hundred miles at a stretch.

My '72 Corvette has a better ride than the '61 but firmer seats.

I would expect the Z06 to be down right comfy and cushy. I drove a 2002 once and found it very comfortable.

Though if someone was comparing it to some luxo cruiser sedan, it may be not be as plush.

PS: the local dealer has black Z06 A8 conv in stock. Unfortunately the wrong color for me and it isn't a coupe. Bummer.

Doug
Old 04-17-2015, 07:10 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

My Z06 non z07 rides very well in tour mode and I even notice it bounce when on bumpy roads. The msrc does a great job.
When in sport or track that bounce is essentially much firmer and limited.
The fact is that adding the Z07 option makes all those driving modes firmer in ride quality due to the stiffer springs.
Ansolutely no need for me to have a firmer riding car as the base is perfect.
If I was into tracking the car then I would want the tightest ride available and the z07 option would be worthwhile.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:23 PM
pbarrows
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I guess it depends on what you are used to.

My '61 Corvette, with heavy duty front springs,and very stiff 5 1/2 leaf rear springs, I don't consider bad. I can even drive the car for several hundred miles at a stretch.

My '72 Corvette has a better ride than the '61 but firmer seats.

I would expect the Z06 to be down right comfy and cushy. I drove a 2002 once and found it very comfortable.

Though if someone was comparing it to some luxo cruiser sedan, it may be not be as plush.

PS: the local dealer has black Z06 A8 conv in stock. Unfortunately the wrong color for me and it isn't a coupe. Bummer.

Doug
Are you saying your local dealer has a black auto vert in stock?
If so, please PM me the dealers name.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:40 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Doug....keep looking you will find what you are looking for. Don't settle for less...you will find what you want. And yes, was thinking about the ride in my '60 with Ford 9".....heck my model A with the straight axle Ford 8" ride much worse...but it's the fun factor...I don't even notice the ride! This one I did because it was so nice!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:17 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

has anyone felt sorry for you for the worn out tires?

first week i had mine, this guy at the gym admired my car and then went on to say that is was too bad i had already worn out my tires. at that point, i felt i was better off trying not the explain a Z07 to him.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:46 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CONMAX
has anyone felt sorry for you for the worn out tires?

first week i had mine, this guy at the gym admired my car and then went on to say that is was too bad i had already worn out my tires. at that point, i felt i was better off trying not the explain a Z07 to him.
Next just tell them you had a great time wearing them out and looking forward to the next set!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

First impression, 550 Miles on my Z07 with GT seats so far and another 150 today coming on our trip to Watkins Glen. The ride in tour mode is a bit firmer than the C5 in touring I had. The mag ride shocks are impeccable over the C5 in any mode. I've owed many C3, 4's there rides were in another category and not worth discussion here in comparison to the C7.

If I stop tracking this car someday I would probably bolt in the stock Z06 rear spring, 2 hours work and a few hundred bucks, so what. I would absolutely not order a Z07 unless you were planning track days.

This is the type threads I read before getting my car, hope this helps those on the fence of a 6 or 7??
Old 04-19-2015, 06:09 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
First impression, 550 Miles on my Z07 with GT seats so far and another 150 today coming on our trip to Watkins Glen. The ride in tour mode is a bit firmer than the C5 in touring I had. The mag ride shocks are impeccable over the C5 in any mode. I've owed many C3, 4's there rides were in another category and not worth discussion here in comparison to the C7.

If I stop tracking this car someday I would probably bolt in the stock Z06 rear spring, 2 hours work and a few hundred bucks, so what. I would absolutely not order a Z07 unless you were planning track days.

This is the type threads I read before getting my car, hope this helps those on the fence of a 6 or 7??
I love the Z07 additions except that I can't lower the rear much if at all. Love the huge ceramic rotors and 6 piston Brembos. Love the look of the aggressive aero. Love the hand built engine.

Ride is fine. Highway ride is great. No second thoughts. Put a set of Perelli P-Zeros on for the tread thing.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:40 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hootowlc7
I love the Z07 additions except that I can't lower the rear much if at all. Love the huge ceramic rotors and 6 piston Brembos. Love the look of the aggressive aero. Love the hand built engine.

Ride is fine. Highway ride is great. No second thoughts. Put a set of Perelli P-Zeros on for the tread thing.

Those wheels are awesome
Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by occar

A GM suspension engineer made the remark "my wife didn't like the ride". That's why it carried so much weight in the discussions about the quality of the Z07's ride.

Get notified of new replies

To First impressions.....Z06/Z07

Quick Reply: First impressions.....Z06/Z07