C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New ride heading home, and....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Default New ride heading home, and....

a puff of white smoke emerged from the hood vent....when i popped the hood it looked like a small amt of coolant (white residue under the hood, and on a component or 2....small amt..but it was there) had stained and left evidence of itself......anyone care to share some wisdom ?

literally 3 miles from the dealer to my house.....stopped at 1 red light.....3min light......and the puff emerged
Old 04-16-2015, 04:02 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Not sure what it is but I remember reading a post earlier this week about someone having a similar problem. Search the forum and you should be able to find it. He may have found the cause of his problem by now. It seems like his operating temps were odd as well.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:03 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Did it have the sickeningly sweet smell of coolant? The hood and vent design of the C7 series tend to hold and direct some water to the engine causing it to turn to steam. If your dealer washed the car, which is likely, that is probably what you experienced.

There was a video earlier of one that was putting out a frightening amount of steam from the hood vent after it had been washed a short time earlier.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Originally Posted by NSC5
Did it have the sickeningly sweet smell of coolant? The hood and vent design of the C7 series tend to hold and direct some water to the engine causing it to turn to steam. If your dealer washed the car, which is likely, that is probably what you experienced.

There was a video earlier of one that was putting out a frightening amount of steam from the hood vent after it had been washed a short time earlier.
...i did not see any signs of coolant, nor did i smell anything suspicious, but the small white residue type blotches/stains wiped of easily (i thought appeared like coolant) but they did just wash it, and now that i think about it, the puff of white "smoke" did dissipate rapidly....

your wash theory makes me feel better (i'm betting/hoping you are correct)
Old 04-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Ducdriver
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I left my house with a lot of dew on my car. A few miles later I saw steam coming from the front when I stopped facing downhill. What happened was caused by the water rolling forward and down the hood vent to the radiator. The car must run a while for the radiator to warm enough to make the steam, so it happens only when condition are right.

You mention residue, could that be from residual cleaning product below the vent?
Old 04-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Originally Posted by Ducdriver
I left my house with a lot of dew on my car. A few miles later I saw steam coming from the front when I stopped facing downhill. What happened was caused by the water rolling forward and down the hood vent to the radiator. The car must run a while for the radiator to warm enough to make the steam, so it happens only when condition are right.

You mention residue, could that be from residual cleaning product below the vent?
..at this point i don't know what to think of the white residue..doesn't seem all that important right now....the "water to steam" theory makes me feel better....i'll know more after i get more than 5 miles on the odometer
Old 04-16-2015, 04:46 PM
H2LS3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My money is on the car was just washed. And the spots are water spots. Steam is common after the car has been washed.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,340 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by H2LS3
My money is on the car was just washed. And the spots are water spots. Steam is common after the car has been washed.

Thats what happens when i wash mine!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

You let the dealership wash your new beast?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Originally Posted by ATC399
You let the dealership wash your new beast?
Yes, definitely - I'm certain they wash all cars prior to delivery - No problem with that, and glad that seems to be the answer to my white steam/smoke issue

Get notified of new replies

To New ride heading home, and....

Quick Reply: New ride heading home, and....