C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech CKNZ install and progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:00 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Is this "fan mail from some flounder" or are you stalking me? LOL

Whatever. Here are my three of my runs, on the same dyno, on three different days, in three different configurations. First, blue, box stock. Second, red, with the HALLTECH CKNZ. Third, green, with the CKNZ AND the IW 9% overdrive pulley.

Is this tripleblack, or whatever you were called before you were banned for slamming HALLTECH? I believe this is what you are trying to do here (obliquely). Didn't you work for AFE?

Again, whatever. Here's the data, why don't you use it to prove I killed Jimmy Hoffa.

Who killed him doesn't matter. What's important is there is a piece of him in every McDonald's burger.

It shouldn't be difficult to ascertain that I am not the person you speak of. Actually, I am a Halltech dealer (also an AFE dealer, in the interest of full disclosure), but I have not installed an AFE intake nor do I have ANY interest whatsoever in smearing or promoting any vendor or their products. Thanks for posting your AFR graph. I should think that its relevance to the numerous times you have "defended" your no tune mods would be self evident.
To be honest, I started out intending to prove your results valid, and to silence the "naysayers" who were passing misinformation and making judgements with absolutely NO first hand experience. My research took a slight turn, however, and I am pursuing all possible explanations as to why.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM
L8 APEX
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Whatever. Here are my three of my runs, on the same dyno, on three different days, in three different configurations. First, blue, box stock. Second, red, with the HALLTECH CKNZ. Third, green, with the CKNZ AND the IW 9% overdrive pulley.

Is this tripleblack, or whatever you were called before you were banned for slamming HALLTECH? I believe this is what you are trying to do here (obliquely). Didn't you work for AFE?

Again, whatever. Here's the data, why don't you use it to prove I killed Jimmy Hoffa.

This is probably the best response to a keyboard warrior I have read in a very long time well done sir
Old 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Hey 6Speeder. If you get time can you shoot me a PM and let me know what wide band set up and calculation you are using to get AFR.
I recently ran into a issue and it may be affecting you as well.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 04:16 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

"To be honest, I started out intending to prove your results valid, and to silence the "naysayers" who were passing misinformation and making judgements with absolutely NO first hand experience. My research took a slight turn, however, and I am pursuing all possible explanations as to why. "

Knock yourself out.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

"To be honest, I started out intending to prove your results valid, and to silence the "naysayers" who were passing misinformation and making judgements with absolutely NO first hand experience. My research took a slight turn, however, and I am pursuing all possible explanations as to why. "

Knock yourself out.
Well, you could help me a lot if you would provide the HP Tuners log file that was recorded with each of those runs, together with the date/ time stamps on the dyno graphs to match up to the log files. I will pm you my email address to send them to. I would also like to see the current tune if you can get that from the tuner.

I don't want to ruffle more feathers, but since Mr Hall knows you by name, could you ask him to come into this thread again and explain the date/time stamps on the dyno graphs he posted?

Last edited by FlamingZ06; 04-17-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:15 AM
1qck6
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do these intakes make the blower whine any louder? I'm disappointed you can't hear these cars whining
Old 04-17-2016, 03:33 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 1qck6
Do these intakes make the blower whine any louder? I'm disappointed you can't hear these cars whining
Old 04-17-2016, 03:46 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

I had both an AFE and Haltech intake and I didn't notice any increase in supercharger whine.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:40 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 1qck6
The brief time I had my Halltech I definitely noticed the whine, whereas stock I never heard any
The following users liked this post:
Fore58 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamingZ06
Well, you could help me a lot if you would provide the HP Tuners log file that was recorded with each of those runs, together with the date/ time stamps on the dyno graphs to match up to the log files. I will pm you my email address to send them to. I would also like to see the current tune if you can get that from the tuner.

I don't want to ruffle more feathers, but since Mr Hall knows you by name, could you ask him to come into this thread again and explain the date/time stamps on the dyno graphs he posted?
Aren't you taking your conspiracy theory paranoia to the extreme? You need to get over yourself, he's put enough data in this thread without sending you more. At the end of the day you either believe him or you don't. It's really that simple.

Frankly I had serious doubts about gaining 50 or so RWHP by the intake only, however I'm seeing that the gains from an intake are far greater in a forced induction car versus a non forced induction car. If I can gain from 35 to 50 RWHP by a intake alone, I'm so there.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:39 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I just installed the HallTech on my car this weekend, I have no before and after data to compare. I will be doing some data logging soon. As far as the supercharger whine, I can barely hear it now but you pretty much have to be in touring or stealth mode with the exhaust. I pulled the weatherstripping off at the rear of the hood and that helped a little more as far as hearing the supercharger.

Last edited by BERETTA; 04-17-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I installed my Halltech non-carbon fiber intake but with the Nomex sock this weekend as well. I will possibly put it back on the dyno this coming Saturday as I do have a before dyno with the actual data file so I can overlay the two.

Not that it matters too much as it is an easy install, but I was surprised at the lack of any documentation inside my box.... Fortunately I watched the youtube video prior to ever ordering so I knew what to expect.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:28 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Well, my friend, I don't know what you want to accomplish that hasn't already been done. There are a number of conspiracy theories out there about the Halltech intake that have been proven wrong:

1. That it doesn't make that much additional power. Wrong, many, many non-affiliated shops and individuals have shown similar power gains.

2. That it DOES make more power, but does it by making the A/F run exceptionally lean. Again wrong, my A/F with the intake ran 0.2 to 0.4 leaner than stock.

3. An extension of 2 above, that the ECM will learn out the lean condition of the A/F and after a short period of time the gains will go away. Again, wrong. I ran my car on the dragstrip stock, and SIX MONTHS LATER, with no other changes ran .5 seconds quicker and 4 mph faster.

Lastly, and most important, an individual here (I'm sorry, I can't remember his name) has spent MAJOR amounts of time and effort posting the HPTuners data showing the effects of the Halltech on the tune of the car. His data mirrored what I saw, and he posted it all on here, months ago.

Hopefully, someone will post a link to the great data the above person shared with us all on here.

As for my current tune, I'm bummed. I spent good money and likely squandered my warranty on a tune which we weren't able to change the elements which usually add horsepower, like the spark advance timing and the air fuel tables. WHEN we remove the cats we'll go over the tune again, and remove the COT protection which you see kicking in at over 4,500 rpm and tune for mid 12:1 A/F, and go from there.

Mr Jim Hall knows my name because he sold me one of the first CKNZ's he built for customers and I provided him my data on how well it worked. I paid full asking price for the intake and would again. He used my data along with many others (like Katech) to show that tripleblack and others were not telling the truth about his intake.

Cheers all,
6Speeder out.
3 Z06ZR1 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:20 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
Aren't you taking your conspiracy theory paranoia to the extreme? You need to get over yourself, he's put enough data in this thread without sending you more. At the end of the day you either believe him or you don't. It's really that simple.

Frankly I had serious doubts about gaining 50 or so RWHP by the intake only, however I'm seeing that the gains from an intake are far greater in a forced induction car versus a non forced induction car. If I can gain from 35 to 50 RWHP by a intake alone, I'm so there.
First, I never claimed there was a conspiracy. Second, WTF business is it of yours what I ask him for??? Are you his parent, or just a legal guardian? Oh, the irony in you telling me to get over myself. Join the conversation with something meaningful or go join the "can you hear the supercharger whine" crowd. The fact is, he has posted numerous times in numerous threads about his no tune gains and been doubted and I am offering to help substantiate the findings with irrefutable proof, rather than results that can be questioned.
Suggesting that emailing a couple of files is too much to ask just sounds like more copout and leaves the doubters still doubting.
Maybe you'd like a stab at explaining how Halltech's dyno results show that he changed the intake and did 3 pulls in under 3 minutes...
Old 04-19-2016, 04:04 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Well, my friend, I don't know what you want to accomplish that hasn't already been done. There are a number of conspiracy theories out there about the Halltech intake that have been proven wrong:

1. That it doesn't make that much additional power. Wrong, many, many non-affiliated shops and individuals have shown similar power gains.

2. That it DOES make more power, but does it by making the A/F run exceptionally lean. Again wrong, my A/F with the intake ran 0.2 to 0.4 leaner than stock.

3. An extension of 2 above, that the ECM will learn out the lean condition of the A/F and after a short period of time the gains will go away. Again, wrong. I ran my car on the dragstrip stock, and SIX MONTHS LATER, with no other changes ran .5 seconds quicker and 4 mph faster.

Lastly, and most important, an individual here (I'm sorry, I can't remember his name) has spent MAJOR amounts of time and effort posting the HPTuners data showing the effects of the Halltech on the tune of the car. His data mirrored what I saw, and he posted it all on here, months ago.

Hopefully, someone will post a link to the great data the above person shared with us all on here.

As for my current tune, I'm bummed. I spent good money and likely squandered my warranty on a tune which we weren't able to change the elements which usually add horsepower, like the spark advance timing and the air fuel tables. WHEN we remove the cats we'll go over the tune again, and remove the COT protection which you see kicking in at over 4,500 rpm and tune for mid 12:1 A/F, and go from there.

Mr Jim Hall knows my name because he sold me one of the first CKNZ's he built for customers and I provided him my data on how well it worked. I paid full asking price for the intake and would again. He used my data along with many others (like Katech) to show that tripleblack and others were not telling the truth about his intake.

Cheers all,
6Speeder out.
I don't know about the theories, but here are a few FACTS I have found with only limited reading of past threads:

1. Katech ADMITTED to changing the tune to remove the "torque dip" that "they all have" after the stock pull, invalidating all future results.

2. Smokey's stock graph has the dip, his "no tune" post intake graph does not, indicating he changed the tune.

3. Powerfab's stock graph has the dip, their post graph does not.

4. Halltech's several iterations all have the stock dip, and the post test does not.

Also a FACT: Changing or altering a component that changes WOT AFR is NO DIFFERENT than changing the tune to provide a different WOT AFR, in terms of warranty. So your warranty is no more void now than it was when you changed the intake.

Opinion: So other than those willing to commit fraud, changing the intake puts them in the same boat as changing the tune, which is a cleaner (pardon the pun), and potentially less expensive option.

Last edited by FlamingZ06; 04-19-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Tom: I don't know what your mysterious agenda is, what you are trying to prove or disprove, but the point is if you are a Halltech dealer:

YOU DON'T NEED MY DATA, which you seem to disbelieve anyway,

GET YOUR OWN, that way there's no doubt in your mind.

To everyone else reading this "back from the dead" thread: I'm sorry, I can't give you back your click.

tail_lights (04-22-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Tom: I don't know what your mysterious agenda is, what you are trying to prove or disprove, but the point is if you are a Halltech dealer:

To everyone else reading this "back from the dead" thread: I'm sorry, I can't give you back your click.

Very true on the data...

I didn't even notice there was a year gap between posts. I tend to glance at dates but it went 4/7 to 4/14 and I didn't even notice the year.

As you mentioned previously though, Ktoonsez has done some relatively extensive HPTuner datalogging with the intake so I really don't get the angle of trying to prove or disprove anything. I do agree the 5 minutes between runs on the Halltech dyno sheet is a bit suspect.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech CKNZ install and progress

Old 04-19-2016, 01:35 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

First off, I don't have an agenda.

As for what I am trying to prove, I feel like I have made that clear. I seek only the truth, but somehow that seems macabre to some people.

There is no "if" in terms of whether I am a dealer. "Since" may have been a better word.

And I do have my own results, which is why I ended up here, sifting thru year old threads and finding numerous questionable dyno graphs. I won't post mine until I have exhausted every means of explaining them. Unfortunately, the waters are extremely muddy because the manufacturer, shops, tuners, and customers all posted incomplete and sometimes obvious misinformation.

Why are you unwilling to help me? If it's because you think I am out to disprove or discredit you or anyone else, that's just not so.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Incidentally, the date time stamps on the run files reflect when the files were "created" on the new computer, so that explains the small time gap between runs. The Mustang dyno printout shows the date/time of the actual run, which is much more meaningful. the only way to know for sure when the runs are done on a dynojet is to have a copy of the original file, on a CD for instance. I have such a file on CD from back in 2006, and it still shows the original date/time stamp.

So that is one question cleared up.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

First, I never claimed there was a conspiracy. Second, WTF business is it of yours what I ask him for??? Are you his parent, or just a legal guardian? Oh, the irony in you telling me to get over myself. Join the conversation with something meaningful or go join the "can you hear the supercharger whine" crowd. The fact is, he has posted numerous times in numerous threads about his no tune gains and been doubted and I am offering to help substantiate the findings with irrefutable proof, rather than results that can be questioned.
Suggesting that emailing a couple of files is too much to ask just sounds like more copout and leaves the doubters still doubting.
Maybe you'd like a stab at explaining how Halltech's dyno results show that he changed the intake and did 3 pulls in under 3 minutes...
Grow up.

Quick Reply: Halltech CKNZ install and progress