C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 vs M7, the truth!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
One opinion! Here is mine.

I have driven auto's and "the point and steer is not for me. They take the driving fun out and the silly paddles
that are "play things" They make the car slower so they
boil down to decoration's hanging on the wheel.

Manual is more fun your not real manual driver from your post
Hombre,

Pure auto trans may not be for you. Like it or not, DCT style trans is becoming more and more the way of the future, and the future is coming so get used to it.

All the paddle shifters in my past and current vehicles has been very useful; not silly it all. To each it's own...but know this: pure manual trans may soon be gone

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 04-02-2015, 01:22 PM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rd16rr
Manual will be a/is a thing of the past.....learn the new way of driving, and there is no reason to look back...with a tear in your eye, or not

It's a shame enjoyment and excitement will be a thing of the past in exchange for a marginal improvement on a number printed on a piece of paper. I guess by the time it's true it will be about time for me to get an SUV anyways.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:32 PM
mjpcowboy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Why is it that if you go to Sprint Mountain there is a very small percentage of automatics compared to manual's? I think the answer is the manual is just more fun to drive. Maybe for a cruise in the city from light to light the manual gets old but for fun driving I don't think it compares to the manual. Just my $.02
Old 04-02-2015, 01:32 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Since self-driving cars are here, soon we can just plug in the race track and the car will drive itself around the track, making perfect shifts and taking the perfect line, and we'll just ride along for the thrill....

Oh, boy!!

Just because we can do something does not mean we should do something....
Old 04-02-2015, 01:44 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
As we evolve as human beings, so those technology. One thing about evolution, it always wins!

That said, the manual trans that we know of today is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Sure, rowing your own gears is great if you "must" have that 1-to-1 connection with your car, but many DCT and MCT, PDK's and so on are coming out with implemented options that will make forget about that pure manual trans.

Ferrari figured out, so did Lambo, and Porsche slowly but surely is moving towards ALL PDK only trans.

Don’t get me wrong, I like manual trans, but once you [race & street] drive a well set up PDK, DCT or MCT; you'll toss that manual to the side. I recall my first Gallardo - it had an E-gear trans (the first ones), it was garbage...the junk was clunky, slow to shift and not that efficient. Lambo has fixed all the issues, and if you drive one now (a 2009-up - Lp560) and you'll be like...dayum!!! Same dealio with the P-cars; remember the Tiptronic trans? The PDK puts that trans to shame. I wouldn’t doubt one bit if GM offers the upcoming ZR1 with DCT only a la McLaren 570s – 650s style.

Thanks,
Carlos

Oddly enough all of the brands you mention are slower than the Viper and Corvette, which still boast manual transmissions, unless you want to spend a cool million. As long as that is the case, we will still have an option. The monumental cost of developing a dual clutch will result in it being a while before GM and SRT really feel the pressure to do that, especially since the competition is breathing fumes (on the road course at least).

I've despised PDK's and whatever that thing was called on the M5 and M6 some years back since driving them. And get annoyed instructing people who won't even bother to pull the paddles.

I like an environment where real drivers are required (not just slightly rewarded)

My stick hasn't let me down yet.......
Old 04-02-2015, 02:13 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Install an MGW, 2 to 5 issue gone.
Hmm, on the fence about it. This helps tilt a bit.
The following users liked this post:
AK JOEY (01-07-2024)
Old 04-02-2015, 04:42 PM
ImpatientlyWaiting
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Since self-driving cars are here, soon we can just plug in the race track and the car will drive itself around the track, making perfect shifts and taking the perfect line, and we'll just ride along for the thrill....

Oh, boy!!

Just because we can do something does not mean we should do something....
Hahaha exactly! Evolution eliminates the driver entirely. This is the "progress" they are looking for. Perfect
Old 01-05-2024, 09:47 AM
Harleyryder02
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most don’t know how to do that.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:00 PM
Harleyryder02
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor driver. Wrong gear. Roll racing is a joke
Old 01-05-2024, 08:32 PM
c6txvette
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyryder02
Poor driver. Wrong gear. Roll racing is a joke
well you clearly haven’t been to the Texas roll meets with cars that are 600-1700 hp and we only do rolls. Auto’s shine here bro
Old 01-06-2024, 11:34 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Manual faster on Road Course. Win.....
?? Idk about that. Jim Mero says differently.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:35 PM
JKU007FL
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 173 Posts

Old 01-06-2024, 07:24 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JKU007FL
Why?

Quick Reply: A8 vs M7, the truth!!!