C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

500 mile oil change via dealer or yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnieA
I just gave them year,make,and model and he looked it up. The same as '14 stingray I believe.
The one on left is the magnetic and one on right is stock.
Sorry uploaded from my iphone..pics post sideways sometimes..
Thanks so much Vinnie!

Bish
Old 03-29-2015, 01:20 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by L Duncan
Are most of you having the dealer do it, because your lazy and or its free, or are you doing it yourself? I always do my own oil changes(Red Line ester based synthetics)but may let the dealership do this one because it is free. Can't make my mind up. Out of warrenty and its a no brainer, but while warrenty is in effect its nice to know all will be covered...lol I've considered letting the dealership do the oil change, document it, and then drive car home and drain oil into some clean containers and use in my pickup trucks. Then put my trusted Red Line in the Z06. (my wife thinks I'm crazy)
And, I suppose you just dump the used oil in the street or ditch someplace. Call me lazy but that's the main reason I have a dealer do it. BTW the dealers where I live that have quick lube racks, will not accept a later model Corvette. So it goes on a hoist and I can go view the underside if I so choose. I did my own back in the day, I've got better things do now, and lazy sure isn't one of them.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
And, I suppose you just dump the used oil in the street or ditch someplace. Call me lazy but that's the main reason I have a dealer do it.
Any Auto Zone will accept old oil.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas Panton
I did mine myself and put in magnetic drain plugs.

I change it myself:

1. Don't have a ton a faith when the oil change lube crew do it. There have been a few horror stories on the forum.

2. Allows me to look the underside of the car over while it is draining. Every once in a while you will find something wrong or loose and avoid bigger problems down the road. Not sure the lube crew at the dealer pays much attention.

3. As far as documenting the oil changes, if you reset the oil monitoring system, On Star has your history for all your oil changes.
Actually they are less likely to screw it up than you think and you can always give the dealer the magnetic plugs and have them install the plugs. As you said there are a few horror stories but only a few.

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 03:16 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And, I suppose you just dump the used oil in the street or ditch someplace. Call me lazy but that's the main reason I have a dealer do it. BTW the dealers where I live that have quick lube racks, will not accept a later model Corvette. So it goes on a hoist and I can go view the underside if I so choose. I did my own back in the day, I've got better things do now, and lazy sure isn't one of them.
I have a five gallon container that I store used oil in, then take it to Wal-Mart when it is full. I wouldn't let the dealer of any of my vehicles near them with with a goat, on a boat, on a plane or on a train. They literally cannot exercise the crazy level of care I give to my own vehicles...way **** retentive...sick I am; that said, I rest easy knowing that the change was perfect, and never close to over filled...
Old 03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic
I wouldn't let the dealer of any of my vehicles near them with with a goat, on a boat, on a plane or on a train. They literally cannot exercise the crazy level of care I give to my own vehicles...way **** retentive...sick I am; that said, I rest easy knowing that the change was perfect, and never close to over filled...
Makes two of us! I would like to have a cam put in my engine but I know it would come back with at lest bent radiator fins and/or missing or stripped bolts, etc. And one shop I used long ago laid a ring and pinion on the floor before installing which would have added a nice helping of sand and dirt to my differential. I was watching and told him to clean the dirt off before installing. I'm almost to the point that if I can't do it and it aint broke it's not getting done.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:57 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
Makes two of us! I would like to have a cam put in my engine but I know it would come back with at lest bent radiator fins and/or missing or stripped bolts, etc. And one shop I used long ago laid a ring and pinion on the floor before installing which would have added a nice helping of sand and dirt to my differential. I was watching and told him to clean the dirt off before installing. I'm almost to the point that if I can't do it and it aint broke it's not getting done.
Ditto.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Nope I am not lazy like you. My used oil goes in the recycle center except for a gallon or so I use for bar lube on my chain saws.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Yea I just dump my used oil on the ground in the woods. After all isn't that where it came from?

kidding

Quick Reply: 500 mile oil change via dealer or yourself?