C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Cup 2 tire freeway tracking

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:02 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Cup 2 tire freeway tracking

my cup2 tires on my new Z06 seem to follow or track freeway groves
and other surface flaws.

do other owners of these tires experience the same things?

i would also like to know if the standard super sports exhibit the same tendencies. i realize all wide tires will follow irregularities in roads, but these seem worse than the stock tires on my C6Z51.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:23 AM
alandi
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
my cup2 tires on my new Z06 seem to follow or track freeway groves
and other surface flaws.

do other owners of these tires experience the same things?

i would also like to know if the standard super sports exhibit the same tendencies. i realize all wide tires will follow irregularities in roads, but these seem worse than the stock tires on my C6Z51.
Along with your Owners Manual came a pamphlet titled "Getting to Know Your 2015 Corvette". On Page 14 there is a warning about groove tracking on some roads (although I did not find the same warning in the Owners Manual and the warning did not specify which type of tire) so GM is obviously aware of the problem with these tires in general. I have not driven on the Cup 2 tires so I have no way to compare them to my standard Super Sport tires. However, I did encounter what I thought was a mild tracking problem on an interstate in some locations, so I changed lanes to another lane that did not have the groove pattern and the problem stopped.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 AM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

Normal on these size tires!
Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 AM
bitatasg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the base tires, and yes, it tracks. It's a real attention grabber when passing under hard acceleration, especially the first time.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:56 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by alandi
Along with your Owners Manual came a pamphlet titled "Getting to Know Your 2015 Corvette". On Page 14 there is a warning about groove tracking on some roads (although I did not find the same warning in the Owners Manual and the warning did not specify which type of tire) so GM is obviously aware of the problem with these tires in general. I have not driven on the Cup 2 tires so I have no way to compare them to my standard Super Sport tires. However, I did encounter what I thought was a mild tracking problem on an interstate in some locations, so I changed lanes to another lane that did not have the groove pattern and the problem stopped.
Welcome to the wonderful world of highway tramming. PS2s and the older GY SC tires do the same and maybe worse. I am finding that the new PSS ZPs I put on the front of my ZR1 a couple of months ago are less prone to tramming actually compared to the ZR1 OEM PS2s and the SCs I had on my 06Z.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 AM
PhilT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TramLINING

Not 'tramming'.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Janet Curran
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

YES! And it was very interesting in heavy rain with some puddles, while transitioning from one freeway to another. Happy about all of those Spring Mtn classes that taught me what to do in unexpected circumstances. A short 2 minute period but one to remember. Thank you Victor, Dave & Dave.

Janet
Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Adding just a shade of toe in can drastically reduce the tramlining.

Bill
Old 03-27-2015, 07:27 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3
TramLINING

Not 'tramming'.
Whatever. I think we all know what it means.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

so now i have a name to refer to this by, "tramlining". i think i will try adding a little toe in as bill dearborne suggested.

i really just wanted to know if the standard pss tires did this to the same degree and from a couple of responses, it seems they do.

my c6 z51 with factory Goodyears did this to some extent, not nearly as much as the cup2's on the new z. they are of course, smaller.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The biggest variable is the alignment, and all Corvettes are just roughly aligned at the factory (between the green right and left marks and it is good to go). As "Fasttoys1" mentioned a couple of months ago, getting his car aligned to factory specs made it "handle" such much better. Had mine, precisely to spec, four-wheel aligned too, and it tracks very nicely, even thought all our Z's have humongous front tires.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:52 AM
golfnutintib
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The biggest variable is the alignment, and all Corvettes are just roughly aligned at the factory (between the green right and left marks and it is good to go). As "Fasttoys1" mentioned a couple of months ago, getting his car aligned to factory specs made it "handle" such much better. Had mine, precisely to spec, four-wheel aligned too, and it tracks very nicely, even thought all our Z's have humongous front tires.
+1

Getting a precise alignment is critical for good performance especially on track. Track specs are terrific. The car has tremendous turn in, stability and grip. My car has Z07 with Cups. First day out on track before alignment definitely sketchy.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:37 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Adding just a shade of toe in can drastically reduce the tramlining.
Thanks Bill, I have found that to be true.

Get notified of new replies

To Cup 2 tire freeway tracking

Quick Reply: Cup 2 tire freeway tracking